HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Lee Stempniak?

Old
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
NikC

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Lee Stempniak?

I dont feel he warrants his current 3.5m, after essentially one good year, however he is young (27) and could be hitting his stride after a 27g season and 7g playoffs.Maybe a 3yr 10m deal? Id rather pay a little more for a guy whos young and can contribute
to the team for more than a year, like a Demitra, Kariya, or Guerin would. Consistency in the lineup is another important
factor for this team going forward.

Thoughts?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:01 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Stempinak was a man on fire with the Coyotes. He actually would be a great signing here, this club needs lower cost secondary scoring, Stempinak has the ability to pot 25+ a year, and if we're lucky, we could even see 30+ out of him if he plays the way he did in Phoenix.

A 3 year 10m deal would definitely be something I'm down for.

*edit

Let's not leave out how great he is on both sides of the ice, the fact that he drops the gloves, and is just a great all around player. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to eat up his prime, maybe a 4-5 year commitment wouldn't be such a bad idea. This is a very "Torts kind of guy" too.

Last edited by t3hg00se: 07-16-2010 at 09:07 AM.
t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I see another Kotalik signing in the making. Not because they are the same player, but Lee has only surpassed 20 goals twice in his career and some people are willing to give him over 3 mil on a medium length deal? Disaster contract in the making. We just got rid of one of those in Kots, lets count our blessings and move on.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I see another Kotalik signing in the making. Not because they are the same player, but Lee has only surpassed 20 goals twice in his career and some people are willing to give him over 3 mil on a medium length deal? Disaster contract in the making. We just got rid of one of those in Kots, lets count our blessings and move on.
i hear you to a point, but Kotalik was a notorious floater type. Outside of his great shot, and some streaky scoring the guy was a complete blank. I don't like the way Torts handled him, but it seemed doomed from the start.

I can't say i know too much about Stempniak, but he's starting to really come on, and he's relatively young.

Old
07-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Lets just say he is much closer in ability to players that we have like Ryan Callahan.

When I think primary secondary scorer, a guy that we can use to pull attention off Gaborik, I think ability to hit 30 goals.

There are only two of those available right now, in Simon Gagne and Alex Frolov. You could make an argument for Afinogenov but he is a little too unpredictable.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Lets just say he is much closer in ability to players that we have like Ryan Callahan.

When I think primary secondary scorer, a guy that we can use to pull attention off Gaborik, I think ability to hit 30 goals.

There are only two of those available right now, in Simon Gagne and Alex Frolov. You could make an argument for Afinogenov but he is a little too unpredictable.
Possibly Patrick Sharp, too. 25 goals last season, 26 the year prior (When he only play 62 games), and 36 goals the year before that.

Stempiniak is the second highest goal scorer left on the UFA market from last season. Some team will give him at least $3 million per year, I think that is too much for him at this point.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Synergy27

I like the player, but I don't think I could handle seeing him on the Rangers because of the Hugh Jessiman connection alone.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Levitate

Quote:
This. I think here's a reason that he's not signed yet and it's not just Kovalchuk. Apparently he was asking for the moon and Maloney flat out told the media he thought Stempniak was being ridiculous.

Gotta remember this guy struggled like mad with the Blues and Leafs not too long ago

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
NikC

seems like the market these days:

25-30g scorer - 3-4m

30-40g scorer - 5-6m

40+ scorer - 7-10m

just is what the market is...

We can't always expect Sather to find a diamond in the rough, or some reclamation star wait to resurrect their career.

Old
07-16-2010, 09:29 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This is a move that I coooooould be okay with - depending on the terms, of course.

He played well and was on a nice upward trend his first two years in the league, then had a couple of down years (I'd be curious to hear Blues fans opine on why) and then had a good year again last year, seemingly resuming his original trend. That's hardly the same trajectory as Ales Kotalik who at 31 is clearly a 30-40 pt player with one aberrant year at 60 points. And as Nik pointed out, he's a much more complete player than Kotalik.

Having said that, I don't see where he fits on this team. He's not the kind of premier talent we need where I would advocate making room for him and we've already got a full compliment of forwards heading into training camp. He is young enough to be part of the longer-term solution going forward and he does play RW where we don't have much organizational depth, but I don't know that signing him as an UFA is more logical than giving guys like MZA and Weise a shot who will obviously be locked in at more affordable contracts for several years.

So, once again, I guess I'm 50/50 on the idea. If we still had 2-3 openings in the forward corps, I'd be all over it. But as it is, it would totally depend on the terms of the deal and any other moves we make.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:30 AM
t3hg00se

I certainly think Stempniak has the ability to pot 30. He has a great wrister, good slapper, good hands, great heart. If we can get him at a low cap hit (2.8) by giving him a 4 or even 5 year term with no ntc, I'd prefer over Sharp and Gagne simply because we don't lose any assets.

I still think I'd prefer going forward with what we have or moving someone like Avery (Drury ) to create some room. But if Slats was adamant about adding forward not named Kovalchuk, this should be our guy.

Old
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Fellows, Stempniak is the ultimate streak player. He could get 30 next year. He could also get 8. He had 13 goals in 17 regular season games and then got Zherdeved in the playoffs. Phoenix offered him $2MM for one season and the Coyotes think he is going to accept that offer. There's very little market for Lee. He will drive you crazy with his inconsistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Possibly Patrick Sharp, too. 25 goals last season, 26 the year prior (When he only play 62 games), and 36 goals the year before that.

Stempiniak is the second highest goal scorer left on the UFA market from last season. Some team will give him at least $3 million per year, I think that is too much for him at this point.
I'm not sure I understand this part of the thread completely but I want to make something clear -- don't confuse Sharp with Stempniak, Callahan etc. He's a complete hockey player with size, grit, leadership and wonderful scoring and playmaking skills. He a $5MM player with a $3.9MM contract.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I certainly think Stempniak has the ability to pot 30. He has a great wrister, good slapper, good hands, great heart. If we can get him at a low cap hit (2.8) by giving him a 4 or even 5 year term with no ntc, I'd prefer over Sharp and Gagne simply because we don't lose any assets.

I still think I'd prefer going forward with what we have or moving someone like Avery (Drury ) to create some room. But if Slats was adamant about adding forward not named Kovalchuk, this should be our guy.
Please, please, please, please, please do not give out NTC's like they are candy. Stempiniak is not a player you give out a NTC to. A Gaborik, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc sure. A player that has put up 20 goals just twice in their careers, no.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Please, please, please, please, please do not give out NTC's like they are candy. Stempiniak is not a player you give out a NTC to. A Gaborik, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc sure. A player that has put up 20 goals just twice in their careers, no.
Quote:

<_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Fellows, Stempniak is the ultimate streak player. He could get 30 next year. He could also get 8. He had 13 goals in 17 regular season games and then got Zherdeved in the playoffs. Phoenix offered him $2MM for one season and the Coyotes think he is going to accept that offer. There's very little market for Lee. He will drive you crazy with his inconsistency.
Do completely agree here though, but the way you get deals in this league is you hope a streaky player puts it all together. You're not getting a good contract on a player whose status is 100% defined already. With Stempniak you truly are paying for potential.

Old
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Vitto79

I still vote for finding a C in a deal. Stempniak has some skill for sure but RW is not the main concern on this team

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Pass. Streaky as hell and he's probably looking to get paid off for his time with the Yotes.

I think he'll stay in Phoenix. Can't imagine there's much of a market for him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:54 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Stempinak was a man on fire with the Coyotes. He actually would be a great signing here, this club needs lower cost secondary scoring, Stempinak has the ability to pot 25+ a year, and if we're lucky, we could even see 30+ out of him if he plays the way he did in Phoenix.

A 3 year 10m deal would definitely be something I'm down for.

*edit

Let's not leave out how great he is on both sides of the ice, the fact that he drops the gloves, and is just a great all around player. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to eat up his prime, maybe a 4-5 year commitment wouldn't be such a bad idea. This is a very "Torts kind of guy" too.
Not sure you are referring to the same Lee Stempniak who had 26 PIM's last year.

I'm not sure that I have ever seen or heard of him dropping the mits.

sorry, I just looked it up, he has had 3 fights in his NHL career.

1 last year (preseason), one the year before and another 4 years ago.

In fact, Lee is really not that physical at all.

He's a decent 2nd/3rd liner but if he's not scoring, he's really not noticed much.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure you are referring to the same Lee Stempniak who had 26 PIM's last year.

I'm not sure that I have ever seen or heard of him dropping the mits.

sorry, I just looked it up, he has had 3 fights in his NHL career.

1 last year (preseason), one the year before and another 4 years ago.

In fact, Lee is really not that physical at all.

He's a decent 2nd/3rd liner but if he's not scoring, he's really not noticed much.
I think you're right actually, I've seen him fight Gervais and Carcillo and thought he dropped the gloves more often.

Stempniak isn't overly physical, but he certainlyusnt soft. He hits when he is supposed to.

Old
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'll never forget interviewing Dartmouth coach Bob Gaudet just a month before we drafted Jessiman. I asked him about Stempniak. He said "Most talented player I've ever coached".

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I think you're right actually, I've seen him fight Gervais and Carcillo and thought he dropped the gloves more often.

Stempniak isn't overly physical, but he certainlyusnt soft. He hits when he is supposed to.
I never thought of him as a fighter, but I was always under the impression that he finished his checks and played equally well on both sides of the rink. Is this in dispute - or just his pugilistic history?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I never thought of him as a fighter, but I was always under the impression that he finished his checks and played equally well on both sides of the rink. Is this in dispute - or just his pugilistic history?
He's certainly a two-way player and he certainly finishes his checks.

Old
07-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'll never forget interviewing Dartmouth coach Bob Gaudet just a month before we drafted Jessiman. I asked him about Stempniak. He said "Most talented player I've ever coached".
Well he's also the coach that said "Stempniak is a better college player but Jessiman will be the better pro player"

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:26 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'd be open to it, if the price was right. In my opinion we have a backlog of B rate players as it is.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
pass

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well he's also the coach that said "Stempniak is a better college player but Jessiman will be the better pro player"
Yeah but I think he said that after the draft

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote