HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Azul
Where's my Cup?

vCash: 50
Sean Couturier

I have a question for everybody,

Do the Canadiens MUST try everything possible to draft Sean Couturier? Possibly, arguably, the best francophone player coming off the Q in years and years and I was hearing from last year people talking about next year's draft in talk shows and saying how the Habs must get this guy. For the fans.

I am NOT a believer of the fact that the Habs have to have as many Francophones as possible, but I know that alot of people are and I respect that. Of course, having a potential superstar like Couturier is something every team wants, but is it something the Canadiens MUST have? Is this the year the Canadiens HAVE to make a sacrifice to get the guy before people start giving up on ever seeing a Francophone superstar with the club?

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 500
Is it not enough for the francophone fans just to have successful francophones in the NHL? Why do the Habs have to have them? If he's a great player then it's fine but they shouldn't go out of their way to acquire french talent. Just my opinion though.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
lesHabitants514

if he's good. try to get him. whether he's french, english, Monglian....who cares, good is good in any language. That being said, we shouldn't have to overpay to get him because he's french.

lesHabitants514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
mtl_felix

The Habs "must" have Couturier just like they "must" have Kane, Tavares, Hall..

Either you convince the players to tank to last place, or you give up a boatload for that first overall pick, which in the end might not be worth it (or might just not happen at all)

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
JackZap

they wont get him, ppl dont trade 1st overall picks

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
they wont get him, ppl dont trade 1st overall picks
brian burke

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
brian burke
Yeah but unfortunetaly, he's given his first rounder this year too, so you can scratch that.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
No.

We're not in the Richard or Lafleur eras anymore, people. Let it go.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Yeah but unfortunetaly, he's given his first rounder this year too, so you can scratch that.
oh i know, just pointing that some GMs do in fact trade first rounders as the poster before me said that no one trades them.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
brian burke
he traded the 2nd overall
but he did it on the begining of the season...

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

just wait until a losing streak so you can start a let's tank for Couturier thread

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post

Do the Canadiens MUST try everything possible to draft Sean Couturier? Possibly, arguably, the best francophone player coming off the Q in years and years and I was hearing from last year people talking about next year's draft in talk shows and saying how the Habs must get this guy. For the fans.

I am NOT a believer of the fact that the Habs have to have as many Francophones as possible, but I know that alot of people are and I respect that. Of course, having a potential superstar like Couturier is something every team wants, but is it something the Canadiens MUST have? Is this the year the Canadiens HAVE to make a sacrifice to get the guy before people start giving up on ever seeing a Francophone superstar with the club?

The best francophone player might be the 50th best player in the draft. So your basically saying that we should take this guy that nobody heard of over the top players in the draft just because he is francophone???? GIVE ME A BREAK!! Thats just STUPID!!!

Thats a big part of the problem. The Habs should be drafting the best player possible no matter where in the world they are from. Thats the only way to be a good, competitive team. You can draft all the best french players you want, but you'll likely finish dead last in the league because of it and you'll miss out on some of the best english or russian players available. It makes no sense.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzy View Post

like finishing last?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Kikizaz

Is this like Buffalo offering Vanek and a couple of 1sts for the Chicago 1st overall which was and would have been used to draft Patrick Kane?

Sure, lets create a similar offer for Couturier.

Cammelleri or Plekanec
1st 2011
1st 2012

for

Couturier

does that sound like a deal we would want to make?

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
The best francophone player might be the 50th best player in the draft. So your basically saying that we should take this guy that nobody heard of over the top players in the draft just because he is francophone???? GIVE ME A BREAK!! Thats just STUPID!!!

Thats a big part of the problem. The Habs should be drafting the best player possible no matter where in the world they are from. Thats the only way to be a good, competitive team. You can draft all the best french players you want, but you'll likely finish dead last in the league because of it and you'll miss out on some of the best english or russian players available. It makes no sense.
Wow couturier is a well regarded propect believed to challenge no 1 overall next draft... Talk about stupidity... I hope my sarcasm meter is broken loll

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Azul
Where's my Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post

First of all if you read my post, you'd see I AM NOT ONE OF THE PEOPLE saying we should get Francophone ahead of everybody...

Second of, are you serious? Sean Couturier a guy no one has heard of? He's right now ranked #1 in the upcomming draft (2011) and will most likely come off Top 5.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Azul
Where's my Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
just wait until a losing streak so you can start a let's tank for Couturier thread
I was just asking the question, it is not my opinion, I was wondering if the majority of fans agreed or disagreed.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Sumhabs

I would. I think we will have a tough season in front of us, if we see we are not going to make the playoff, lets finish last.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:13 PM
dcal64

Isn't this why PG traded Halak

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

He may be Franco, but he's not from QC. That alone would give journalists enough reason to dislike him AFTER we draft him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
GomerHomer

It would be hilarious if the Habs somehow managed to get the #1 overall pick... only to use it to draft Larsson.

GomerHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Azul
Where's my Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He may be Franco, but he's not from QC. That alone would give journalists enough reason to dislike him AFTER we draft him.
I'm pretty sure they already adore him actually lol after all it's them I heard talking about this.

Old
07-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I'm not totally sold on him right now ... so no !

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Is it not enough for the francophone fans just to have successful francophones in the NHL? Why do the Habs have to have them? If he's a great player then it's fine but they shouldn't go out of their way to acquire french talent. Just my opinion though.
Having french players playing outside of Montreal and having them playing for the Habs is a Universe of difference. When they play elsewhere they become the enemy. You think St Louis and Vinny were saying to themselves "oh poor Habs!" when they eliminated them in the playoffs? These guys were hated as Hell in Quebec. Even if admired. But this level of talent playing for the Habs they would be revered as Gods. It's like a nation bonding, especially if the success is there. Like it was in the 70s.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerHomer View Post
It would be hilarious if the Habs somehow managed to get the #1 overall pick... only to use it to draft Larsson.
Larsson-Subban..

i just wet myself..

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote