HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers #12 Prospect Poll

View Poll Results: Who is the Rangers #12 prospect?
Mike Sauer 27 28.72%
Ryan Bourque 19 20.21%
Mikhail Pashnin 15 15.96%
Andrew Yogan 2 2.13%
Pavel Valentenko 28 29.79%
Roman Horak 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2010, 01:41 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
And the Horak neglecting continues. I think he's going to have a very solid NHL career. Keeps getting better.
There's no neglect. People are fully aware of his potential. However, he is a 19 year old who had a good but not great season in the WHL. That hardly proves anything. Ryan Russell similarly had a good first season in the WHL. He's nothing now, of course. Horak is a complete wild card and most people would take the matured products in Valentenko and Byers over him at this point.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Last season aside, I watch a lot of Pack games online, so I'm pretty familiar with Byers. I just don't see anything in his game that leads me to believe he'll ever amount to more than a fourth line mucker at the NHL level. That he'll turn 25 this year doesn't so anything to change my opinion of him. Let's put statistics aside here for a moment: what is it about Byers that makes you think he'll become a legitimate NHL player at some point, and not a career AHLer?
Setting aside the fact that Byers was drafted too high in the first place. In any case his numbers are not terrific but they are good enough to suggest that he has some offensive skills. He didn't look bad either when he was called up for a brief spell last year.

At this point we could say some of the same things about Sauer as Byers--as in what makes anyone think he's ever going to be more than a 6-7 d-man? On the verge of making the team out of training camp 3 years ago--he has floundered since in part due to injuries. Personally I think that this season may be the last chance either has of making the Rangers.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:04 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Setting aside the fact that Byers was drafted too high in the first place. In any case his numbers are not terrific but they are good enough to suggest that he has some offensive skills. He didn't look bad either when he was called up for a brief spell last year.

At this point we could say some of the same things about Sauer as Byers--as in what makes anyone think he's ever going to be more than a 6-7 d-man? On the verge of making the team out of training camp 3 years ago--he has floundered since in part due to injuries. Personally I think that this season may be the last chance either has of making the Rangers.

I'd much prefer Byers on the 4th line over Boyle. And I like Boogard but he should only play against the roughians. He was very good in his 6 game callup.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:18 PM
bmoak

Valentenko. Add Byers.

bmoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Pashnin add Byers.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:07 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
There's no neglect. People are fully aware of his potential. However, he is a 19 year old who had a good but not great season in the WHL. That hardly proves anything. Ryan Russell similarly had a good first season in the WHL. He's nothing now, of course. Horak is a complete wild card and most people would take the matured products in Valentenko and Byers over him at this point.
At this stage, Byers has proven he's ready. IMO, it's overdue. After 3 years playing Professional hockey, he put up more points in each individual season, than Dubinsky did while playing one year in Hartford.

I wouldn't claim he's our number one prospect (although his first year playing in the AHL was more successful than Grachev's. I suppose people can tribute that to the "North American game").

But I think out of all our prospects (and possibly Weise and/or Aasen) Byers is the most readily viable player and hopefully will stick with the Rangers after camp.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
Tank, Add Byers.
bingo.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:49 AM
eco's bones

Not to get me wrong--I like Byers a lot. On my list he'd be around 12. Some people don't like him at all and some haven't liked him since he was drafted pretty much because he was taken too high which is not his fault.

Part of the reason he hasn't made it and also why he projects as a bottom liner is because he's not a great skater. Straight away speed is average. He is a trenches guy--a mucker along the boards and in the corners--a guy who will go to the net. In the AHL he has a good shooting percentage because he tends to score in close. He doesn't get tons of shots though. He's a grinder and physical player and definitely a middleweight as a fighter. IMO he's a more skilled version of Aaron Voros. A much cheaper version as well. Considering the time, effort and money spent on Byers it would have been much better to had gone with him than spending a $1 mil per on Voros. I have the feeling he'd be more productive as well.

The AHL stats are worth looking at. Run down how many players are hitting mid 40's and into the 50's. His are good numbers and he's been consistent and improving to 50 last year coming back from missing an entire season because of ACL surgery is not too shabby. I don't see how anyone can say he isn't making progress. Players don't usually have better seasons after an injury like that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If the poll stays this close for too much longer, we may have our first tiebreaker in the works.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote