HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ed Snider on Daily News Live

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2004, 05:10 PM
  #1
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Ed Snider on Daily News Live

A few interesting sound bites from Mr. Baldwin--er, Mr. Snider--about the Flyers and the state of the league.

-The Flyers have been losing money for the past few seasons, and even if they won the Cup they wouldn't have broken even.

-He said he doesn't know the details about the CBA negotiations, but then qualified that by saying that even if he did, he couldn't say anything, but that he didn't really know anyway, because the league is handling all of that on their own.

-Goodenow tries to fib team's incomes by using revenue like luxury box suites sales and trying to justify it as purely NHL income, ignoring A) the basketball teams and B) in the case of privately funded arenas like the WC, morgage payments.

-My favorite sound bite was Ed talking about the lack of minorities that watch hockey, and he said that the leading scorer is black, and butchered Iginla's name (Ig-lina is how he pronounced it) and then said "we've got Brashear."

Dr Love is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:21 PM
  #2
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
-Snider wants Malakhov, Zhamnov, and obviously Primeau back next season. Same old offseason stuff like getting some of the kids into the lineup.

-He's very high on Niity. He didn't say it but I kind of got the feeling Burke might not be back next season.

blah is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
  #3
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
-Snider wants Malakhov, Zhamnov, and obviously Primeau back next season. Same old offseason stuff like getting some of the kids into the lineup.

-He's very high on Niity. He didn't say it but I kind of got the feeling Burke might not be back next season.
I'm not sure, but doesn't Burke pretty much control his own fate? With his option?

Brad* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:36 PM
  #4
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I'm sorry, but having a potentially great goaltender get to be a back-up is more important than Esche having a mentor. I'm glad Clarke and Snider both seem to want to bring Nitty up as back-up.

ObeySteve is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:41 PM
  #5
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Snider was talking like Burke doesn't exist. However there is a dual team and player option, but perhaps Burke has told the team he isn't planning on coming back. I can't see the Flyers wanting to bring him back unless he would agree to get paid what a backup goalie should get paid. And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:44 PM
  #6
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Snider was talking like Burke doesn't exist. However there is a dual team and player option, but perhaps Burke has told the team he isn't planning on coming back. I can't see the Flyers wanting to bring him back unless he would agree to get paid what a backup goalie should get paid. And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.
We can only hope. Considering the amount of playing time he'd be getting, he'd be better suited to go elsewhere.

Brad* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:51 PM
  #7
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I'm not sure, but doesn't Burke pretty much control his own fate? With his option?
Somewhat. They could always trade him if he didn't want to be paid like a backup.

During the interview Snider seemed as if he had no problem buying out players. He wants a Stanley Cup badly.

blah is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:53 PM
  #8
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Somewhat. They could always trade him if he didn't want to be paid like a backup.

During the interview Snider seemed as if he had no problem buying out players. He wants a Stanley Cup badly.
Who's going to take him?

Brad* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:54 PM
  #9
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
Who's going to take him?
I'm not Bob Clarke man. They found a taker for Cechmanek didn't they?

blah is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 06:03 PM
  #10
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I'm not Bob Clarke man. They found a taker for Cechmanek didn't they?
I see your point, but Cechmanek was a lot better than Burke.

Brad* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 06:16 PM
  #11
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I see your point, but Cechmanek was a lot better than Burke.
We sure fooled the Kings didn't we :lol

Oh that's right we only got a 2nd

Burke = Cechmanek (our defense wasn't nearly as good this year)

easton122 is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 06:36 PM
  #12
GBailey93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OWNS OWNS
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I'm sorry, but having a potentially great goaltender get to be a back-up is more important than Esche having a mentor. I'm glad Clarke and Snider both seem to want to bring Nitty up as back-up.
I disagree here. I think that having a clear cut 1st and a clear cut backup is more important. If you have 2 possible #1's, all that does is have both guys looking over their shoulder. The only reason I would want Frank on the Flyers would be to showcase him for a trade. Otherwise, keep him in the AHL where he can play a lot of games.

GBailey93 is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 06:40 PM
  #13
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
I disagree here. I think that having a clear cut 1st and a clear cut backup is more important. If you have 2 possible #1's, all that does is have both guys looking over their shoulder. The only reason I would want Frank on the Flyers would be to showcase him for a trade. Otherwise, keep him in the AHL where he can play a lot of games.
2 possible #1s? Niity is not taking the starting job away from Esche anytime soon.

blah is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 07:00 PM
  #14
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
2 possible #1s? Niity is not taking the starting job away from Esche anytime soon.
He is talking about Burke. Even if Burke does come back he's not at risk at talking over the #1. He'd just mentor Esche.

easton122 is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 08:16 PM
  #15
Pontifex Maximus*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
We sure fooled the Kings didn't we :lol

Oh that's right we only got a 2nd

Burke = Cechmanek (our defense wasn't nearly as good this year)
That Cechmanek trade looks good now. It's not like Cechmanek even played well this year.

Burke is completely different from Cechmanek. Cechmanek cannot be a backup and is a poor starter. Burke is a perfect backup (at a lower price) and can step in if needed.

Pontifex Maximus* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 09:31 PM
  #16
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.
Which is coming from the Flyers.


And before we start ripping Cechmanek again, take it from someone who watches the Kings. Without Cechmanek, the Kings aren't even sniffing the playoffs, just as their injuries hampered their chances. He had a hard start, which isn't uncommon in the league, and he had bad injury problems, a nagging groin all year. To say the Kings got fooled isn't the right comment to make, but this is the Kings, and nagging injuries and season ending/season ruining injuries are to be expected. I'm sure if the Kings had Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh, Straka, Miller and Visnovsky for an entire season they would have easily made the playoffs no matter how injuried or how well the goaltending had been. By the time the Kings got all the guys back they were going to get, most of them were out of shape and the rest were overrworked and it didn't help them that trading for Anson Carter was a huge waste of time.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 02:15 AM
  #17
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 34,520
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
We sure fooled the Kings didn't we :lol

Oh that's right we only got a 2nd

Burke = Cechmanek (our defense wasn't nearly as good this year)
getting a 2nd rounder for a non-playoff goaltender is fair market value IMO

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
05-25-2004, 07:43 AM
  #18
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Snider was talking like Burke doesn't exist. However there is a dual team and player option, but perhaps Burke has told the team he isn't planning on coming back. I can't see the Flyers wanting to bring him back unless he would agree to get paid what a backup goalie should get paid. And I can't blame Burke if says no thanks and tries to get the most money he can.
From todays Daily News. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8752708.htm

Clarke said Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki is ready for the NHL. Niittymaki will back up Robert Esche next season, assuming the team can work something out with Sean Burke, who has a $4 million option for next season. Clarke said Phoenix would pay part of the sum if the Flyers bought out Burke.

If Burke excercises his option the Flyers could buy him out for $2.83 million (or less if there is a buyout cluase in the contract). The Coyotes would pick up a chunk of that as well.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 07:51 AM
  #19
Flyers26
 
Flyers26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: We must accept disap
Country: United States
Posts: 7,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
From todays Daily News. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8752708.htm

Clarke said Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki is ready for the NHL. Niittymaki will back up Robert Esche next season, assuming the team can work something out with Sean Burke, who has a $4 million option for next season. Clarke said Phoenix would pay part of the sum if the Flyers bought out Burke.

If Burke excercises his option the Flyers could buy him out for $2.83 million (or less if there is a buyout cluase in the contract). The Coyotes would pick up a chunk of that as well.
Good ridddance to bad rubbish!

Flyers26 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 09:31 AM
  #20
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Abington (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
From todays Daily News. http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8752708.htm

Clarke said Phantoms goalie Antero Niittymaki is ready for the NHL. Niittymaki will back up Robert Esche next season, assuming the team can work something out with Sean Burke, who has a $4 million option for next season. Clarke said Phoenix would pay part of the sum if the Flyers bought out Burke.

If Burke excercises his option the Flyers could buy him out for $2.83 million (or less if there is a buyout cluase in the contract). The Coyotes would pick up a chunk of that as well.

That's funny, I though I told you all this would happen.


I guess I am right again!!!


Last edited by Cuiff: 05-25-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Cuiff is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 09:57 AM
  #21
Blindside9711
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Misplaced SOB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Burke played pretty decently when we needed him to, namely in the Leafs series when Esche had to leave the game with flu symptoms. That being said, he's still not worth $4 mil'. I'd much rather see Niitts get his time backing up Esche with lots of starts in the pre-season.

Blindside9711 is offline  
Old
05-25-2004, 10:54 AM
  #22
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,421
vCash: 500
I hope Esche doesn't pull a Boucher after a good playoff run, but in case he does, Nitty will be waiting and that's all I could ask for. Now, on to assasinating John Leclair...

Teezax is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.