HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Spinoff thread: 3 guys you want for next year, whose rights we don't own

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2004, 06:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Spinoff thread: 3 guys you want for next year, whose rights we don't own

Let's take a look at some guys who we'd want on our team next year, assuming 3 of LeClair, Amonte, Malakhov, Recchi or Zhamnov are gone.

Using http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html as a list, which Unrestricted (Group III, V or VI) free agents would you like to see on our team next year, keep in mind a potential salary cap and payroll cuts.

1) Matthew Barnaby- not the Barnaby we saw in Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay or Buffalo. He is a good hockey player now who served the Rangers well, played on the top lines, and won't be wanting the big bucks. I think he is more concerned with winning now.
2) Richard Matvichuk- had a real bad season in Dallas, they'll be cleaning house down there and he should be one of the guys to go. I think bringing him in for nothing and reuniting him with Ken Hitchcock will make good things.
3) Yannic Perreault - I can find a spot for the best face off guy in the league over the last 5 years.

Old
05-24-2004, 06:47 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
3) Yannic Perreault - I can find a spot for the best face off guy in the league over the last 5 years.
and I just love how he was -10 on a playoff team as well, what are we waiting for? But seriously, this team has more than enough centers and while Perreault might be able to play wing, it just isn't worth it. Getting Barnaby, how long our we going to delay giving our young forwards more playing time?

Matvichuk would be okay, but only if Seidenberg still gets a good shot in the NHL next year or whenever next year is.

Old
05-24-2004, 06:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Perreault also scored some big goals against Boston. He was -10 because he played Tampa Bay. I'll take him for my 4th line because he's nothing more. Next year he won't play enough to be -10 in the playoffs.

And if you're thinking Patrick Sharp and Jeff Carter are coming to the Flyers and playing 82 games you're crazy.

Old
05-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Let's take a look at some guys who we'd want on our team next year, assuming 3 of LeClair, Amonte, Malakhov, Recchi or Zhamnov are gone.

Using http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html as a list, which Unrestricted (Group III, V or VI) free agents would you like to see on our team next year, keep in mind a potential salary cap and payroll cuts.

1) Matthew Barnaby- not the Barnaby we saw in Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay or Buffalo. He is a good hockey player now who served the Rangers well, played on the top lines, and won't be wanting the big bucks. I think he is more concerned with winning now.
2) Richard Matvichuk- had a real bad season in Dallas, they'll be cleaning house down there and he should be one of the guys to go. I think bringing him in for nothing and reuniting him with Ken Hitchcock will make good things.

I agree with Matvichuk and have put that in other threads as well. I think he could raise his game in Hitchtown as he knows the system and excelled for years.
Barnaby I think will want alot of money, but if not I will take him - he can have Leclairs spot.
Yannic - Yuck. Faceoffs is all he can do. I don't think he even kills penalties which is what I would look for as missing Lappy did hurt in the playoffs.
I think Sharp and Radio have earned more time next year as well.
Another name instead of Yannic is O'donnell (sp?) from Boston. Very stable D with a physical edge - not sure of his money situation but he is a UFA.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:00 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
And if you're thinking Patrick Sharp and Jeff Carter are coming to the Flyers and playing 82 games you're crazy.
I would not mind seeing Patrick Sharp play 82 games next year although that will never happen. Sharp does have some good potential to be a 3rd/4th line center and I bet he has more desire to play that position than Perreault.

There's also a ten year age difference which may not seem that important, but as we just saw, the Flyers were really burning out against TB, this team needs to become younger, not older.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:02 AM
blah

1. Adrian Aucoin - An absolute booming shot from the point. Great goal scoring dman who would also improve the PP. Has size, is right handed, and plays a ton of minutes. Slim chance NYI let him go but it's worth a shot.

2. Mark Parrish - Is relatively young at 27, and the Isles seem more than willing to move him. Accurate right handed shot that would improve a lack of depth at RW.

3. Jeff Carter - See what he's got.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
1. Adrian Aucoin - An absolute booming shot from the point. Great goal scoring dman who would also improve the PP. Has size, is right handed, and plays a ton of minutes. Slim chance NYI let him go but it's worth a shot.

2. Mark Parrish - Is relatively young at 27, and the Isles seem more than willing to move him. Accurate right handed shot that would improve a lack of depth at RW.

3. Jeff Carter - See what he's got.

We are talking about UFA's - Parrish and Carter are not and I think Aucoin is under contract.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:06 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
We are talking about UFA's - Parrish and Carter are not and I think Aucoin is under contract.
I think that Aucoin is a Group III which means RFA, but not positive. I think Parrish is an RFA too, but once again, not positive.

EDIT: I meant Group II

Old
05-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think that Aucoin is a Group III which means RFA, but not positive. I think Parrish is an RFA too, but once again, not positive.

EDIT: I meant Group II

Right so he is RFA and if you sign him be ready to give up a few first round picks for your efforts.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:10 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Right so he is RFA and if you sign him be ready to give up a few first round picks for your efforts.
none till 05 anyway.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:11 AM
blah

True, they're both RFA. I don't see anything of interest as far as UFA go.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Rex88

Quote:
none till 05 anyway.
We may actually want to start getting younger and building from within. We have a good track record of first rounders with this scouting group and next year is a big draft. Moving more first rounders in my opinion is not an option.
If you want to trade for Aucoin then OK, it will not be easy and you will be asked for KJ or Markov in the process and if not they will go after high end talent because Aucoin is all the things you mentioned in your post.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I would not mind seeing Patrick Sharp play 82 games next year although that will never happen. Sharp does have some good potential to be a 3rd/4th line center and I bet he has more desire to play that position than Perreault.

There's also a ten year age difference which may not seem that important, but as we just saw, the Flyers were really burning out against TB, this team needs to become younger, not older.

True. I guess I can change my stance on Perreault. I'll find another guy...

Old
05-24-2004, 07:21 AM
FlyHigh

This are just a few names I've come across that are Group III.

Jaroslav Modry- Very good d-man and somehow only made 950,000 last year, he is a lefty shot, but I think I'd like to see him in Philly if they do sign anyone.

Lubomir Sekeras- Only made 600,000 and he has shown some upside I think, only got in 4 games last year so he should come cheap, also a lefty though. I think that he's also 35 or something too.

Teppo Numminen- He is a righty, but he made 4 mill last year and had a disappointing season. Also 35 years old.

Sean Hill- Has had 3 nice years in a row and he's right handed. But I think he wants a long-term deal AND he is 34 years old.

Alexei Zhitnik- Will be very high-priced, but a defenseman who can log big minutes, be a good PP guy, and get 30 points.

Ken Klee- Yeah he was a Leaf, but he is a righty and he could look okay in the orange and black, only made 1,500,000 last year.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:21 AM
MojoJojo

1. Zhitnik
2. Draper
3. Rolston

There are much bigger names out there availble (Pallfy, Alfredson, Leetch, Khabibulin), but these are all awsome two way players that might be affordable.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:24 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
True. I guess I can change my stance on Perreault. I'll find another guy...
Jason Wiemer...?

Old
blah

If this is list is correct than the Isles have their work cut out for them. There at least appears to be a chance that they'll part w/ 1 of their top 4 dmen and of the lot Aucoin has the most value in trade and contract talks. Like I said slim chance, but there's still a chance they'd balk at his asking price.

Quote:
Adrian Aucoin, (II)
Jason Blake, (II)
Sven Butenschon, (II)
Eric Cairns, (II)
Rick DiPietro, (II)
Roman Hamrlik, (II)
Trent Hunter, (II)
Kenny Jonsson, (II)
Oleg Kvasha, (II)
Justin Mapletoft, (II)
Janne Niinimaa, (II)
Justin Papineau, (II)
Mark Parrish, (II)
Dave Scatchard, (II)
Steve Webb, (II)
Mattias Weinhandl, (II)

Old
Rex88

On the posts above - Klee would be good, Modry would be great and Rolston would be a godsend.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Rolston would want too much. Modry is OK he is horrible defensively, it would be like having Andy Delmore back. If you think our power play is bad, Modry either misses the net or fumbles the puck out of the zone..which when Hackett gave up that soft goal to him early in the season vs. LA was doubly bad (take it from someone who watches the Kings). he plays hard but he plays bad and takes forever to make decisions. If anyone remembers the Flyers/Kings game in 2003 when the the Flyers won 5-0 i think Modry was -4 in that game.

I think Klee just had on good year in a good situation for him.

How about Jason Wiemer up front. Plays hard every shift, I think would make a great linemate for Handzus or Primeau. Wiemer can play any foward position as well.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:35 AM
blah

Is Weimer really worth the roster spot when they have Somik, Sharp, Radivo, Fedoruk, Brashear, Kapanen?

Agreed on Klee. He's injured a lot and after what happened to the Flyers dmen last season I'd steer clear.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Is Weimer really worth the roster spot when they have Somik, Sharp, Radivo, Fedoruk, Brashear, Kapanen?
Considering that Fedoruk doesn't play in the playoffs, Somik gets hurt and Brashear is a 4th liner...Yes. Wiemer is worth it on a 2 year deal, and won't make more than someone like Radivojevic. Wiemer will want 1 mill, maximum.

Old
05-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Rolston would want too much. Modry is OK he is horrible defensively, it would be like having Andy Delmore back. If you think our power play is bad, Modry either misses the net or fumbles the puck out of the zone..which when Hackett gave up that soft goal to him early in the season vs. LA was doubly bad (take it from someone who watches the Kings). he plays hard but he plays bad and takes forever to make decisions. If anyone remembers the Flyers/Kings game in 2003 when the the Flyers won 5-0 i think Modry was -4 in that game.

I think Klee just had on good year in a good situation for him.

How about Jason Wiemer up front. Plays hard every shift, I think would make a great linemate for Handzus or Primeau. Wiemer can play any foward position as well.

We have enough guys who can't hit the net...screw Rolston. Dealing for Aucoin would be nice, if not at a cost of Joni, Markov or Gagne. I like Weimer but would I ever like to have the big North American Dman....what the hell could Washington have been asking for Witt at the deadline for someone not to trade for him...or was he just untouchable? If not, I'll bet there's some teams second guessing themselves right now.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
what the hell could Washington have been asking for Witt at the deadline for someone not to trade for him...or was he just untouchable? If not, I'll bet there's some teams second guessing themselves right now.

I think the Caps made him untouchable and they didn't want to promote Jason Doig as their #1 defenseman.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Brad*

First things first, just how do we go about getting rid of LeClair or Amonte?

Old
05-24-2004, 12:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
First things first, just how do we go about getting rid of LeClair or Amonte?
we would have to eat at least 2/3 of Leclair's contract in order to deal him to someone

Closed Thread