HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

All-Time NCAA team?

Old
07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
WheresJoe

vCash: 500
All-Time NCAA team?

I'd like to know what a line up of the most successful players in the NHL from the college hockey system would look like.

WheresJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
neutral zone trap13

Martin St. Louis

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresJoe View Post
I'd like to know what a line up of the most successful players in the NHL from the college hockey system would look like.
In the next day I'll post a full Roster, but the top defensive pairing is easily Leetch-Chelios. Oh and Dryden in net.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Ziostilon

throw Paul Kariya and Johnathan toews in there

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
throw Paul Kariya and Johnathan toews in there
Kariya had arguably the greatest season in NCAA Hockey history, possibly one of the best in the history of all college sports.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

i'm probably forgetting some guys but here goes:

tkachuk oates hull
kariya nieuwendyk st. louis
heatley weight anderson
stevens broten mullen

chelios langway
leetch suter
ramsey ludwig

dryden
miller

fantastic first line, fantastic shut down pair. tried to find a place up front for dave taylor and brind'amour. after that it's youngsters (toews, parise, vanek, stastny) or solid guys who had some great years, but that no one would mistake for the kind of guy who should make an all-time anything team: leclair, guerin, amonte, dave christian, drury, scott young. it's a bit of a drop off to the next best d, unless we can already count duncan keith, but the OP said "successful," which i take to mean most accomplished over a career. the next few guys are rafalski, reed larson, ken morrow, jeep patrick, and dave ellett. you have some very good goalies though: liut, tim thomas, turco.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I would have said Hobey Baker for any team but he sadly never got a chance to prove himself in the NHL.

I'd argue for Brindy over Weight, Nieuwendyk or Broten at center if you're building a team rather then just the best scorers at their positions.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:47 PM
jkrx

If we are going for team building with a checking line and energy line I would put Drake in. I would also give Madden a center spot.

Maybe..

Kariya - Oates - Hull
Tkachuk - Broten - St Louis
Drake - Madden - Anderson
McKay - Johnson - Dineen

Leetch - Chelios
Langway - Suter
Ludwig - Magnuson

Dryden
Esposito

Coach - Bob Johnson

This is more of a a try to get a real team instead of an all-star team. I'd say most of these guys were successful in their own right and in what type of roll they had on their respective lines.

Edit Ofcourse I might have forgot some player(s) and the team is up for debate.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

the avs/wings thread reminds me that we all forgot about rob blake's time with bowling green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I would have said Hobey Baker for any team but he sadly never got a chance to prove himself in the NHL.

I'd argue for Brindy over Weight, Nieuwendyk or Broten at center if you're building a team rather then just the best scorers at their positions.
for my team, i actually like broten more than brind'amour for his ability to put defensive play together with high end scoring and big game mentality. that's why i have him on my fourth line.

i like brind'amour as a player more than nieuwendyk or weight, but having two elite playmaking wingers on the second line means nieuwendyk is a better option as the better goal scoring center, and having two snipers on the third line makes me want to have weight, for all his faults, for his elite playmaking ability.

madden on a fourth line with a better defensive guy than stevens and a grittier guy than mullen is an interesting thought, though. drury and brind'amour both played wing early in their careers. how great would a brind'amour madden drury line be? then you can bump broten up between heatley and anderson and take weight off. but i still would have a hard time keeping those stevens and mullen off my team. they were such fantastic scorers in their prime, and you still have chelios and langway on d

but man, for all the high end offensive wingers, the NCAA sure didn't produce many elite scoring centers, did they?

revised:

tkachuk oates hull
heatley weight anderson
stevens broten mullen

chelios langway
leetch blake
suter ramsey

dryden
miller

or:

stevens oates hull
heatley broten anderson
brind'amour madden drury

same d and g

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I think you're right about that. Good call there, that would be a dominant defensive/checking line.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote