HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Grabovski

Old
07-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Traktor*

vCash: 500
Grabo would go unclaimed on waivers. Right now his value is negative considering his 2.9 hit.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:03 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
No need for the help sign -- I did say might be possible. For what he brings, Grabo's contract isn't that appealing either.
Ah, sorry about that then

2.9 mill for a player capable of putting up 50 points (barring an injury) isn't too bad. He may not be the best defensively, but he hustles for the puck and brings energy with his speed. Plus, he's also signed for only two more years so we can cut him loose if he's not in Burke's long term plan.

Olesz is a draft bust getting paid 3.125 for 4 more years with a career high of 30 points. I don't know if he's excellent defensively or not (and if he is, that's good to know), but Grabovski is a better option on the Leafs. Spending 3 mill on a bottom 6 player isn't what we really need right now.

Therefore, I can't really see this being possible at all.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose50 View Post

2.9 mill for a player capable of putting up 50 points (barring an injury) isn't too bad. He may not be the best defensively, but he hustles for the puck and brings energy with his speed. Plus, he's also signed for only two more years so we can cut him loose if he's not in Burke's long term plan.

Olesz is a draft bust getting paid 3.125 for 4 more years with a career high of 30 points. I don't know if he's excellent defensively or not (and if he is, that's good to know), but Grabovski is a better option on the Leafs. Spending 3 mill on a bottom 6 player isn't what we really need right now.

I really don't see either player getting traded, due to lack of any interest around the league. I agree that Grabo is a bit better, especially for the leafs (insert childish emoticon here).

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's an excellent project candidate. Too bad he has that horrific contract.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Grabo would go unclaimed on waivers. Right now his value is negative considering his 2.9 hit.
Absolutely LOVE the avatar. I'm sporting a Millencolin T-shirt, as I type this.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
If Boston ends up deciding to trade Savard to the Leafs... then Grabovski will most likely have to be moved for salary reasons; in which case it would problably be in the best interest of a team like the Florida Panthers to take him on at the cost of a guy like Steven Reinprecht + a pick....although he really isn't the penalty killing centre the Leafs need.
That only saves 900k of salary... so its not really salary saving. What's more interesting is Reinprecht, although did play 23 more games, actually out scored Grabovski last year and is better defensively. As a rebuilding team (like Florida), a trade like that makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipes View Post
1st round pick from calgary, they need a center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Grabovski to Calgary for a 1st round pick
They need a #1 center... not someone who was behind Stajan... although the Flames could become the TML of the West if they keep picking up ex-Leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose50 View Post

Exactly... i don't think there's a single team that makes sense.

Grabovski is a borderline top 6 forward at the age of 26. Is not a great defensive player (probably could say he's a liability) so not many teams will be all that interested in him. He can be a fill in the gap type of player but a rebuilding team won't give up asset for those as you can also fill the gap via UFA. Contending teams don't want a defensive liability unless they put up a lot more points and he wouldn't be a top 6 center on any contending team anyways so 2.9mil is quite a huge cap hit. The only time Grabovski might spark interest is during the trade deadline where the number of buyers far exceed the number of sellers so some teams might get desperate. Yet for some reason he seems to be included in as many Leafs proposals as Kabs (who actually has a lot of value).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:57 PM
GE0

Grabo can score goals,
throws punches in rinks or bars,
and stabs pineapples

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Mikahail Grabovski missed 23 games last season due to injury and was still able to get 10 goals and 35 points in 59 games. Although Grabovski is a streaky center man, he is only entering his full third NHL season this upcoming season. Brian Burke would do better holding onto Grabovski to see what he does this upcoming season and then make a judgment to keep or trade him.

I don't understand the 360 degree turn around from Leafs fans. Last year the Leafs fans loved Grabovski after his run in with the Kostitisyn brothers in Montreal, and now one year later they want to throw him to the wolves. This is typical of Leafs fans, give the guy a chance to prove himself again. Just like Dustin Penner was thrown to the wolves the previous year for his horrible contract and production, now he all of a sudden has positive value in trade proposals. Go figure?

Let Grabovski play another full season to see what he can do without the injury. Value wise, Grabovski has low trade value because of his injury season. Hopefully next year will show his stock rise again, so there is no point in trading him now. Let Kadri play his 20 or so games and then continue to develop with the Marlies while Grabovski takes the reigns for another year.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
This. He might have value to the Leafs given their uncertainty at the Center position, but I'd bet money that he would clear waivers at his salary.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:23 PM
brevard*

Worth a 3rd round pick if the Leafs are willing to take back around 1.5 million in a bad deal in return. Otherwise? ... 4th or 5th round pick.

(Serious) about a 50% overpayment (1 to 1.5m too much) From reading posts from other Leaf fans the guy is mostly a 1 way player though.
Kind of hard to get value for a guy who has to be a top 2 line center that is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines of a good team.
If he could add a tougher forecheck or "pest" aspect to his game to go with the offensive skills he does have he could be a good 3rd liner. ... A good 3rd liner would be worth what he makes but right now that is not his game so I don't see fair value coming back with his contract.

Going to agree with 1927. I still feel what i wrote above is true but Grabo is still young. With the centers the Leafs have now they would be smart to keep him. His value is very limited if moved today but he may not yet be done developing. It would be crazy for a team that isn't going to win anything anyway to give up on kids a year or 2 too soon.

Last edited by brevard*: 07-17-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Amended to agree with 1927
brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
People wonder why Leafs fans have such a ridiculously bad reputation on these boards?

Example #12312345123412
sar·casm   /ˈsɑrkęzəm/ Show Spelled[sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms

If you're still not clear...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Worth a 3rd round pick if the Leafs are willing to take back around 1.5 million in a bad deal in return. Otherwise? ... 4th or 5th round pick.

(Serious) about a 50% overpayment (1 to 1.5m too much) From reading posts from other Leaf fans the guy is mostly a 1 way player though.
Kind of hard to get value for a guy who has to be a top 2 line center that is not good enough to play on the top 2 lines of a good team.
If he could add a tougher forecheck or "pest" aspect to his game to go with the offensive skills he does have he could be a good 3rd liner. ... A good 3rd liner would be worth what he makes but right now that is not his game so I don't see fair value coming back with his contract.

Going to agree with 1927. I still feel what i wrote above is true but Grabo is still young. With the centers the Leafs have now they would be smart to keep him. His value is very limited if moved today but he may not yet be done developing. It would be crazy for a team that isn't going to win anything anyway to give up on kids a year or 2 too soon.
He sort of forechecks. He's not great at it but that's not the worst aspect of his game. He is actually sort of a pest and gets under a lot of teams skins, unfortunately the opposition also gets under his skin at times. He would be a 3rd line centre if he was slightly bigger and better at defense.

Right now he is a 2nd/3rd line tweener but if he can score 50+ points then I think he would be a legitimate #2 center.

As it stands right now, it would be worthless for the Leafs to trade him because his value is an all-time low and he does still have potential to score 50+ points, not to mention Leafs don't have much experience or depth at center position.

I think it's worth keeping him around for 1 more season until Kadri is fully ready.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He sort of forechecks. He's not great at it but that's not the worst aspect of his game. He is actually sort of a pest and gets under a lot of teams skins, unfortunately the opposition also gets under his skin at times. He would be a 3rd line centre if he was slightly bigger and better at defense.

Right now he is a 2nd/3rd line tweener but if he can score 50+ points then I think he would be a legitimate #2 center.

As it stands right now, it would be worthless for the Leafs to trade him because his value is an all-time low and he does still have potential to score 50+ points, not to mention Leafs don't have much experience or depth at center position.

I think it's worth keeping him around for 1 more season until Kadri is fully ready.
This, this, this.

It would be a stupid idea to trade him, unless we could get something half-decent in return, which we won't. Not to mention, it can't hurt to have too many centermen who can play.

I'm sure most of the people who aren't Leaf fans, haven't watched enough of Grabovski to understand he's not as bad as people make him out to be.

Last year he decided to try a pass first mentality, instead of his usual selfish shoot first mentality. It didn't work as well for him.

I gotta admit, as the season went on, he seemed to gain better defensive awareness. He actually back checked, and skated hard if he was out of position. He was not a - player on the second worst team in the League.

After Grabo's first season, everyone loved him. He even won our hurt/heal game on the Leaf boards. He had one half-decent season, and everyone's written him off. I for one, have not.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I see Glennie thread potential here.

Anytime you get your hands on a modern day Sergei Berezin, you hang on tight and listen to no offers to pry him away. It is actually eery IMO, how similar Grabo looks on and off the ice compared to Berezin, minus the handedness.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
That only saves 900k of salary... so its not really salary saving. What's more interesting is Reinprecht, although did play 23 more games, actually out scored Grabovski last year and is better defensively. As a rebuilding team (like Florida), a trade like that makes no sense at all.
That $900k would be neccessary to fulfill the Leafs need on the LW; and the Leafs would need a defensive guy for the 3rd line.

Florida, as a rebuilding team, should be looking to take on youth with high end upside for 34 year old veterans.

Some of the poeple suggesting he'd clear waivers are clueless. Look at what $2.9m buys you in free agency these days. None of them are remotely likely to score 50 or more points.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Leafs4life17

grabbo to nyi for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (performance based)

helps islanders get to the floor. might fit well in there on the 2nd line.

Leafs4life17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:04 PM
leafmon

Get over it Leaf fans and hope he stays healthy and rebounds from last year because with two years left he can\t be moved right now. Also being weak at center he is actually needed. Look he is not a fav of mine with his half ass dangles and turnovers in the neatral zone not to mention how his size hurts defensively in his own end there is nothing better right now and keeping him is better then a draft pick .

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs4life17 View Post
grabbo to nyi for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (performance based)

helps islanders get to the floor. might fit well in there on the 2nd line.
More like Grabo for a 7th (I'm being generous). Islanders add dead weight instead of signing a decent player via free agency and the Leafs manage to pull in a 7th round pick (future HF stud by the way) and Burke gets a mulligan on that bad contract.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
More like Grabo for a 7th (I'm being generous). Islanders add dead weight instead of signing a decent player via free agency and the Leafs manage to pull in a 7th round pick (future HF stud by the way) and Burke gets a mulligan on that bad contract.
More like no? Grabovksi is not dead weight. He can play. He had ONE bad season, in his SOPHOMORE year, in which he still managed to score 30 pts in 60 games. The overreaction by leafs fans on this forum is hilarious.

Trading him makes no sense for us. If either of Kadri or Bozak goes down, we need Grabo to take the center spot. Plus it makes absolutely no sense to trade him when his value seems to be low.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:30 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
Get over it Leaf fans and hope he stays healthy and rebounds from last year because with two years left he can\t be moved right now. Also being weak at center he is actually needed. Look he is not a fav of mine with his half ass dangles and turnovers in the neatral zone not to mention how his size hurts defensively in his own end there is nothing better right now and keeping him is better then a draft pick .
Dude, If you don't like half assed dangles and neutral zone turnovers you are going to hate Kris Versteeg.

It is what mid talent level offensive players do. They go 1 on 1 as often as Kane and Kessel do ... just with much less success.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Kaen

Grabovski only fits on a team in the Leafs exact position and all of their fans don't seem to want him. I think that explains his value pretty well.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Ah, so this is what an expert looks like...

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:37 PM
BeLeafer11

calling him overpaid is reasonable. Calling him heartless is ignorant.

Personally, I like Grabs. On the open market he is probably worth a 2nd or overpaid 2nd line winger (plus Leafs give 4th or 5th rounder)

BeLeafer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Don't see why we can't just keep him.

Its like our fanbase wants a good offense, but we can afford to trade away top six players.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Dude, If you don't like half assed dangles and neutral zone turnovers you are going to hate Kris Versteeg.

It is what mid talent level offensive players do. They go 1 on 1 as often as Kane and Kessel do ... just with much less success.
I'm hoping for better but I'll have my own opinion by Christmas. The good mid-talent guys have to play a all round game.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote