Old
07-17-2010, 12:05 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
So the team's sold... now what?

not really, but....

Since the FA period is pretty much over, even if a miracle happens and the team sells in the next five minutes, options are somewhat limited. What would you do to as GM, assuming the checkbook is open again? Who would you pursue? Or would you wait till later in the season/ or next year's FA period to acquire key defensemen?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
not really, but....

Since the FA period is pretty much over, even if a miracle happens and the team sells in the next five minutes, options are somewhat limited. What would you do to as GM, assuming the checkbook is open again? Who would you pursue? Or would you wait till later in the season/ or next year's FA period to acquire key defensemen?
How is the FA period over? It really hasn't even started. Once Kovalchuk signs, others will follow suit. The FA crop really isn't that good this year either.

If I were a betting man, I would bet new ownership will take a wait and see approach given the rumblings that the cap will be significantly lowered in the next few years.

They don't want to sign a few players to silly contracts that will handcuff them in two years.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:47 PM
txomisc

Quote:
not really, but....

I think theyd have to explore the trade route. Find players other teams want but cant afford and take advantage of them. I dont really think there are any free agent defensemen that are going to be much of an upgrade right now. Next years crop of potential ufa defensemen isnt exactly great either, so waiting on that isnt going to work.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
How is the FA period over? It really hasn't even started. Once Kovalchuk signs, others will follow suit. The FA crop really isn't that good this year either.

If I were a betting man, I would bet new ownership will take a wait and see approach given the rumblings that the cap will be significantly lowered in the next few years.

They don't want to sign a few players to silly contracts that will handcuff them in two years.
hence the "pretty much"

really, who else is left that could be a #1 or 2 dman that we all believe the team needs?

Old
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
hence the "pretty much"

really, who else is left that could be a #1 or 2 dman that we all believe the team needs?
Randy Jones won't be a top pairing dman, but he's good defensively, can add some offense from the blueline and he's still somewhat young and would be pretty cheap. A great pickup for a second pairing defenseman.

Last edited by Overkamp: 07-17-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old
07-17-2010, 02:31 PM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Denis Grebeshkov is out there. not a 1 or 2, but could definitely help.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Randy Jones won't be a top pairing dman, but he's good defensively, can add some offense from the blueline and he's still somewhat young and would be pretty cheap. A great pickup for a second pairing defenseman.
Haha what? Randy Jones is one of the worst-at-defense defensemen in the entire NHL. Philly fans couldn't wait to get rid of him, Kings fans couldn't wait to get rid of him...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Overkamp

He's adequate. You guys aren't in the market to obtain some $6 million dollar top pairing defenseman. He'll provide you some points and he's servicable. His defensive play isn't near as bad as you want to make it out to be. And he's not nearly the "worst" defensive dman in the league. Good grief.

Old
07-17-2010, 03:37 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
Denis Grebeshkov is out there. not a 1 or 2, but could definitely help.
Off the top of my head Grebeshkov is the only free agent defenseman I'd be interested in.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
He's adequate. You guys aren't in the market to obtain some $6 million dollar top pairing defenseman. He'll provide you some points and he's servicable. His defensive play isn't near as bad as you want to make it out to be. And he's not nearly the "worst" defensive dman in the league. Good grief.
We aren't in the market for a $6 million defenseman...because of the ownership situation. In the scenario described in the OP we would most certainly be in the market for a top defenseman. I'm not going to get into how good Randy Jones is, but suffice to say the Stars don't need more "guys" on the backend. We have plenty of depth, and quality depth at that, but the issue is players are getting overexposed. With even just one "top" defenseman, or two defensemen who are better all-around than anyone in our current d-corps, everyone falls nicely into place. Guys like Randy Jones are redundant on this roster in terms of ability to impact a game.

Old
07-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Off the top of my head Grebeshkov is the only free agent defenseman I'd be interested in.
Kim Johnsson may not be a bad option on the cheap, but I don't know how serious his recent concussion was or what people on this board think of him. _______ might be able to provide some insight on him from his Minny days?

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Caseman

I was tricked by the title

That was the happiest split-second I have experienced in a while

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:57 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I was tricked by the title

That was the happiest split-second I have experienced in a while
You're not the only one.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Captain Awesome

Thirded, ****ed up title.

I'm pretty sure Kim Johnsson's situation is really bad, retirement bad.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:15 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

lolz, sorry bout the title guys, i couldn't resist.

so jones is a big fat no to me, grebeshkov, sure interesting... jason's mentioned piccard too. not much else in the FA world.

who would yall chase via trade?

Old
07-17-2010, 06:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Trade is a whole other thing altogether. The type of trades they may make if ownership greenlights a higher budget will probably be slightly different than those we could get right now. In theory they would be pure "hockey trades."

Old
07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Dennis Grebeshkov he's the best fit for the Stars on the free agent market, maybe even the trade market. He's only 26 and desperately fills the puck moving defenseman role and he's solid defensively. Plus defense coach Charlie Huddy has the best insight on him as he coached him a few years with the Oilers.

Alexandre Picard he's only 25 and a decent puck moving defenseman with a hard shot.

Kim Johnsson is a good defenseman, but he's going to struggle if he returns to hockey next year after his concussion. Not worth the risk at all for the Stars.

Willie Mitchell, well I doubt he'd be interested in signing with a non Stanley Cup Contender but he'd be a upgrade over Skrastins, he is coming off of a concussion.

There are other names available here such as Paul Mara, but I don't think it's even worth considering those options.

On the trade market.
Kaberle PMD that isn't good defensively. Rumors that he doesn't want to leave the Eastern Conference. 1 year at $4.25 million

Kevin Bieksa hard shot, solid defensively and tough to play against. 1 year at $3.5 million age 29

Sheldon Souray injury prone not much else to offer other then a hard shot. Signed for two more seasons at $4.5 million per year($5 million cap hit).

Corey Sarich I have no interest in him.

Maybe Tom Gilbert his name is always brought up in rumors, but he hasn't been dealt it doesn't make much sense for the Oilers to trade him have to wait and see. Right now he's the best option, if, the Oilers would still like to move him. The Stars in the past have shown a lot of interest in him.

Gilbert's contract breakdown $4 million per year cap hit and signed for 4 more years. Gilbert is 27.
10-11 $5.5 million
11-12 $5 million
12-13 $3.5 million
13-14 $3 million

I'm sure there's a few other defenseman available on the trade market, but they probably are of the lesser variety.

Last edited by ________: 07-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
BeaverSports

Would anyone roll the dice on acquiring Brian Campbell from Chicago if you don't have to give up a lot of assets? He's never struck me as being as defensively bad as a lot of people say he is.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Captain Awesome

No, his cap hit probably isn't an issue if we get a new owner, but the term is absolutely brutal.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Chad_

Re: Campbell - It would depend on what the new budget would be.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
JesusNPucks

Stempniak and Grebeshkov

Go get 'em, Joey GM.

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
It would have to be Ribeiro for Campbell or Ribeiro gone as part of a 3 way trade and the Stars end up with Campbell. *

Since Bob Sturm said Ribeiro has no trade value and Campbell doesn't either and it improves the team.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Ribiero and Skrastins for Campbell and Nick Leddy.

Dallas takes back more money but gets Campbell who would do wonders for our transition and Leddy as a nice prospect for the money.

Not sure I really want to make that deal but it doesn't make me cringe, especially if they can dump Daley and bring in Grebeshkov.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote