HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Flyer Weakness/corrections

Old
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
2010-2011 Flyer Weakness/corrections

Perceived weaknesses heading into this year and your suggested solutions. For me:

- Faceoff percentage:
Solution: Sign Eric Belanger, last years faceoff percentage leader in the NHL at 66.7%. That gives you Belanger #1, Betts #15 at 52.5, Richards #35 at 47.8% and Giroux 42nd at 43.8. Carter is also decent.

- Goaltending depth:
Solution: Sign Turco at 2 million or less for one year, hope Bobrovsky is ready next year.

Size down the middle: Against bigger teams, we need size
Solution: Carter at center! If not always, definitely against Pitt & other teams with size at center.

5-6 pairing on D:
Solved I believe Meszaros-Odonell

Forward depth on the farm:
- Must be addressed via the Gagne trade. Apparently Carter Ashton (TB Top prospect, big RW) is possible. Maroon, Testwuide, Nodl, Legein need to step up

Any other perceived weaknesses that need to be addressed for this season?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

A GM who understands that there is a salary cap?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:45 AM
FlyerEra2010

Meh, I've never been big on the whole 'true' 3rd line center who can win faceoffs thing. We're already overstacked at center and will have to have at least one guy playing out of position, let's not make that any worse.

If Homer plays his cards right, he can use the Gagne trade to get a solid forward prospect (+ some picks), and then have enough cap space to sign Marty Turco. That would fix our biggest and most immediate need (a goalie) and help out our farm system, too.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Meh, I've never been big on the whole 'true' 3rd line center who can win faceoffs thing. We're already overstacked at center and will have to have at least one guy playing out of position, let's not make that any worse.

If Homer plays his cards right, he can use the Gagne trade to get a solid forward prospect (+ some picks), and then have enough cap space to sign Marty Turco. That would fix our biggest and most immediate need (a goalie) and help out our farm system, too.
i just wish we would stop having carter take faceoffs in our zone! It makes no sense, and almost always ends up with the puck in our net or at least a scoring chance for the opposing team!

while we arent buying into things also, i'd just like to say that i dont buy into the fact that carter needs to hold the puck to score. He scores plenty from passes into the slot/loose pucks in the slot. the ONLY time i feel it is worthwhile to have him hold the puck is when he wheels off the left board in the offensive zone. Letting him hold onto it in the neutral zone is a turnover, and a wasted opportunity.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Terence Peterman

Every thread this offseason has turned into what the team's weaknesses are. This is just going to get messy.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post

Maybe you haven't realized, but we've already got a "center" playing out of position.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
A GM who understands that there is a salary cap?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote