HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Emperor's New Clothes

Old
07-18-2010, 02:07 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I agree with the Coach... Lapierre was very open about his season and his performance (which was fixed once the Habs hit the playoffs) while Price had his childish antics on ice and obviously hasn't fixed his attitude issue's - if he had of done, he would have signed his QO short term to show management that he isn't on the same boat as the headcase we made walk the plank a few weeks ago. (SK...)

Price has a lot of maturing to do.
I couldn't help but comment on the irony of your post.
Firstly, Price hasn't been interviwed at all and noone knows what his comments are about his performance last year. The only thing we know is PG was so impressed with how Price carried himself that he said it went a loong way to resigned him.

Second, in regards to his maturity level and on ice antics. Well he's a comepetitor and he wants to win so bad that it can be hard to keep his emotions in check. I agree he has to learn how to do a better job of it but how mature can you expect a multi millionaire, 22 y.o. kid to be. Obviouslt he's going to mature in time. The problem I have with your comment was comparing Price's on ice antics in the same breathe as Lapierre who is the king of those antics. It's just ironic that you chose hold Lapierre as the on ice role model of how to behave during a game. Remember the 3 diving calls in the same game. Jeeze, I wonder what you'd say if Price got an unsportsmanlike... oh wait, I do know. Talk about a double standard.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
beh3moth

Price should be paid according to his accomplishments (or lack of, depending on which camp you fall into) in the nhl and not his pedigree or draft pick #.

Sadly, this probably won't happen.

beh3moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:35 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
At the end of the season or at the end of Montreal's playoff run? A few weeks before or a few weeks after hacking Backstrom from the bench and firing pucks at players and officials? If those are examples of how Price has matured, we're in deep doo-doo.
'Hacking' Backstrom? WOW, after that vicious hack it's AMAZING Backstrom could even skate off the ice!!!! Vicious, I tell you!!!

Seriously, Price had a frustrating year. What's the big deal?

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:37 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
On a ONE-year deal, Price is not worth much more than QO which was $900k. Let's say $1.2M-$1.4M to be generous. So for a 2-year deal at $2.5M to make sense, we have to be willing TODAY to pay him $3.6-$3.8M for the next year.

That's too rich.

Chris Higgins came off his ELC having scored 23 goals and playing first line. He got $673k for his "second contract", pre-arbitration, one-year.

THAT is how you pay guys on their second contract. Minimal raises from first contract unless the results have been so amazing that you are going to get offer-sheeted badly.

More examples, Ribeiro after 65 points season $1.2M, Ryder after his first 25-goal, 63 points season, $1.0M.

There is NO WAY we should be giving Carey Price more money than we gave previous proven first or second line players early in their careers, except to adjust for inflation. MAXIMUM $1.4M one year for Carey. If there is a second year, there is a bit of a guess to make but NOT $3.6M for Subbans sake!
The Penner situation makes all those contract arguments irrelevant. There really is no such thing as a 'second contract' like you described anymore. That's just the way it is.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
The fact that you are using "for Subban's sake" as an expression makes you lose the little credibility you have.

Now, these contracts you cited were right after the lockout. RFA were not overpaid that much at the time until Kevin Lowe made insane offer sheets for Penner and Vanek. Since then it seems any RFA with potential are overpaid.

Also, Price has leverage. He is the only goaltender in the organisation that is starter caliber. Why would he settle for his QO?
The Subbans sake argument is a joke, a little poke at the old Jesus Price crowd. In fact, we should ALL stop over-hyping our youngsters before they prove themselves fully, and that goes for Subban too.

I agree that offer sheets are the real weapon here for a RFA with no arbitration, but the market for goalies is depressed. Price won't get a big offer sheet.

As for settling for his QO, I have said I am ok with between 33% and 55% more. However, that is no reason to give out $2-$3M or more like I am hearing.

Someone on an online blog today said that the fact that the signing has NOT happened is perhaps evidence that the Habs ARE taking a hard line. If so, I just hope they carry through, or compromise a bit but not too much. I like Carey Price and I hope he EARNS a bigger salary next year or even beyond by playing well this year. I sincerely hope that all the talk of his great new attitude is REAL, backed up in DEEDS, and does not end up as a sad Emperor's New Clothes story.

I thought Lapierre's quotes on not being greedy and buckling down to earn a better contract next time displayed a good attitude, and so shoot me if I would like to see the same type of words from Carey and the proper follow-through to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
The Penner situation makes all those contract arguments irrelevant. There really is no such thing as a 'second contract' like you described anymore. That's just the way it is.
Other than offer sheet, what is the leverage of an RFA with no arbitration and modest real NHL results?

You cite Penner, but again that was offer sheet.

Goalies are not highly paid these days, there is a glut. The dreaded super offer sheet to Price does not seem likely at all. At least not this year.

And there certainly IS still a second contract phenomenon. Look at what Pouliot got this year, with arbitration rights looming behind the scene, versus what Latendresse got last year, without arbitration rights, but with similar production. Latendresse got only his QO in summer 2009, his second contract, whereas Pouliot hit it bigger with his THIRD contract.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
That may be true, but it doesn't change the that for 2 years in a row he got out-goaled by another young goalie in our system and hasn't quite looked the same as he did in his rookie year. There is serious questions about his mental toughness out there. Can he actually handle playing in Montreal? There is no doubt about his talent but the fact is it hasn't translated to the ice the way it should have the past 2 seasons. I don't buy the whole "The Habs didn't score in front of Price" thing.

I'm ok with 2.5M, but it has to be a 2 or 3 year deal.
Why not make it for 5 years? If Price can't handle the pressure or if he stinks out the joint he is gone this year or next anyways. So who cares how long the contract is for if things don't pan out. However, if things turn out well we have a goalie signed for 5 years.

-----------------

Posters here seem to have a poor understanding of risk assessment in regards to signing longer term contracts. A 22 or 23 year old goalie with All-Star potential should be a lot easier to trade if he is signed to a $3 million a year contract, unlike a 36 year old defenseman who is signed to a $5.5 million or $3.833 million contract if they are not playing up to their potential.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
'Hacking' Backstrom? WOW, after that vicious hack it's AMAZING Backstrom could even skate off the ice!!!! Vicious, I tell you!!!

Seriously, Price had a frustrating year. What's the big deal?

If the 'hack' didn't come scant minutes after another penalty for shooting the puck at a Caps very normal and ordinary goal celebration gathering, folks would not be mentioning it much. But together, the two acts showed a level of immaturity that is noteworthy.

Old
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
icerocket

Quote:
If the 'hack' didn't come scant minutes after another penalty for shooting the puck at a Caps very normal and ordinary goal celebration gathering, folks would not be mentioning it much. But together, the two acts showed a level of immaturity that is noteworthy.
Lol is this for real?

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Quote:
OK, so who is going to be the first to say that all this talk of Price's wonderful new attitude, which he must have cultivated since the end of Game 4 of the ECQF when he got two unsportsmanlike penalties for acting like a 13-year old kid, is just wishful thinking?

LAPIERRE, he is showing a good attitude. "I didn't have a great season last year, now is not the time to be greedy", he is quoted as saying.

It would be nice to hear similar words from Carey.

If the Habs hockey people are even thinking of succombing to the "potential" mirage and paying Carey more than $1.5M x 2 years, they should be fired. The key to success in a cap world is paying as little as you can for the guys you get. When you have the leverage and a guy has no arbitration rights and the league is swimming in goalies with .910 save percentages, you SECURE THE BENEFIT. Price's QO is under $1M. We should NOT be giving him much more.

It was one thing to "overpay" Lapierre by a token $60k in recognition of his attitude, but to overpay Price MILLIONS? Subban forbid!

It might behoove Gauthier to start publicly talking about a PLAN B now. Might smarten those folks up.
I'm betting my home that Lapierre will have a subpar regular season again

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:07 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Why not make it for 5 years? If Price can't handle the pressure or if he stinks out the joint he is gone this year or next anyways. So who cares how long the contract is for if things don't pan out. However, if things turn out well we have a goalie signed for 5 years.

-----------------

Posters here seem to have a poor understanding of risk assessment in regards to signing longer term contracts. A 22 or 23 year old goalie with All-Star potential should be a lot easier to trade if he is signed to a $3 million a year contract, unlike a 36 year old defenseman who is signed to a $5.5 million or $3.833 million contract if they are not playing up to their potential.
You make a plausible argument. Here is a counter view, tell me what you think.

Since May 2003, Gainey gave out SIX 3-year contracts to RFAs. They were:
Sheldon Souray
Jose Theodore
Steve Begin
Andrei Kostitsyn
Josh Gorges
Ryan O'Byrne

I would say that
only ONE of the six has turned out well, Gorges;
ONE was ok, Souray;
one is meh, O'Byrne who will make $1.4M this year;
Begin was overpaid as his body broke down;
AK46 has a contract that is supposedly impossible to unload; and
the Theodore signing was a disaster.

I'm not sure that if Carey badly fails to deliver, it will be easy to unload the remaining 4 years / $12M contract.

Of course, if Carey plays well, 5 years at $2.5M like the original poster's low end, would work out fine for us.

But it is a risky crapshoot. I would rather go one year $1.2M-$1.4M or 2 years $3.5M TOTAL (1.75M cap-hit).

Old
07-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
The Subbans sake argument is a joke, a little poke at the old Jesus Price crowd. In fact, we should ALL stop over-hyping our youngsters before they prove themselves fully, and that goes for Subban too.

I agree that offer sheets are the real weapon here for a RFA with no arbitration, but the market for goalies is depressed. Price won't get a big offer sheet.

As for settling for his QO, I have said I am ok with between 33% and 55% more. However, that is no reason to give out $2-$3M or more like I am hearing.

Someone on an online blog today said that the fact that the signing has NOT happened is perhaps evidence that the Habs ARE taking a hard line. If so, I just hope they carry through, or compromise a bit but not too much. I like Carey Price and I hope he EARNS a bigger salary next year or even beyond by playing well this year. I sincerely hope that all the talk of his great new attitude is REAL, backed up in DEEDS, and does not end up as a sad Emperor's New Clothes story.

I thought Lapierre's quotes on not being greedy and buckling down to earn a better contract next time displayed a good attitude, and so shoot me if I would like to see the same type of words from Carey and the proper follow-through to make it happen.
If the Canadiens take a hard line the only thing I see happening is either Carey Price sits out until Xmas or he ends up getting traded either during the season or at the end of the season because I think it will create an impasse between the two sides that will only be resolved by Carey leaving town.

If management acts the way you think they should they should save everyone a lot of grief and trade him now. Same thing with SK last year, everybody would of been a lot better off if they had traded him a year earlier, when they had decided that he didn't fit in with their plans.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Well, if Price was immature and dumb, then why did he not complain after barely playing. He took one for the team and worked hard in practice. He also tried to step up his leadership by trying to fix Sergei Kostitsyn. Also, after one particualrly bad goal that Halak let in during the playoffs, Price calmed him down and gave him support tellin him anyone would have let that goal in. It's not your fault. That, there, is a huge sign of maturity. Someone mentioned how Price, during his interview with Cabbie, was indifferent to the loss. Now he shows emotion and people are still upset??? Damn right he is upset after a loss and letting in a goal seeing as he DOSEN'T want to let any in. I think it shows that he is HUMAN and emotionnally involved in the game and is upset that after working hard, he lets in a goal. You probably never ever played goalie so you don't know how it feels to let in a goal. Especially during the playoffs and after not playing for a while.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Someone mentioned how Price, during his interview with Cabbie, was indifferent to the loss. Now he shows emotion and people are still upset???
I'd just like to clarify once again, that segment was recorded before the game was played. Of course, it didn't stop some people from saying he didn't care because he took part in the segment.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
If the Canadiens take a hard line the only thing I see happening is either Carey Price sits out until Xmas or he ends up getting traded either during the season or at the end of the season because I think it will create an impasse between the two sides that will only be resolved by Carey leaving town.

If management acts the way you think they should they should save everyone a lot of grief and trade him now. Same thing with SK last year, everybody would of been a lot better off if they had traded him a year earlier, when they had decided that he didn't fit in with their plans.
Let me get this straight. You are suggesting that Carey Price might actually go beyond negotiating tactics and actually sit out a year, because he was ONLY offered a raise of 33-55% over last year, after only modest results on his ELC, and a poor end to both of the last two seasons??

Wouldn't Carey not want to be PLAYING in order to drive up his value in the future? How would sitting out be productive or show the league's other GM's that he is worth having on their team?

Old
07-18-2010, 04:19 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I'd just like to clarify once again, that segment was recorded before the game was played. Of course, it didn't stop some people from saying he didn't care because he took part in the segment.
People like Jack Todd think that segment meant something. That just goes to show you the level of thinking with those types of people.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

-----------------

The reason is quite simple really, as much as I have my doubts in Carey Price right now.. There is absolutely no way he/his agent accept a 5 year deal worth 2.5M. Yeah there is a chance he might bust completely and he steals a 5 year deal from us. But given his talent, he can get a significant raise if his level of play rises which IMO he has the *potential* to do.

Imagine he signs a 2 year deal worth 2.5M avg, and next season he wins most of his games, posts a .915+ SV% with 5 shutouts... and does even better the next season? He will be worth 5M+ on a 7-8 YR deal. He's maximised his value, and we got the results we expect/need from him.

He needs to PROVE he is a #1 goalie, he can't be given money/term of a #1 right now without proving it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:24 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Damn right he is upset after a loss and letting in a goal seeing as he DOSEN'T want to let any in. I think it shows that he is HUMAN and emotionnally involved in the game and is upset that after working hard, he lets in a goal. You probably never ever played goalie so you don't know how it feels to let in a goal. Especially during the playoffs and after not playing for a while.
You're right I haven't. I can go by what I see, though. I saw 20 or more goalies who played in the palyoffs who worked hard and presumably all didn't want to give up a goal. I saw about 400 goals scored in the playoffs. I saw only ONE goal replied to by shooting the puck at the opponents, and only ONE empty-net goal followed by a slash from the goalie ON THE BENCH.

When this behaviour comes from someone whom everyone is saying acquired a much better attitude second half of last year, this is disconcerting counter-evidence.

I hope I'm wrong to have doubt, and I'll be very pleased if and when Carey comes through for us. I remain a fan of his and of the team's!

Old
07-18-2010, 04:26 PM
ruski17

Quote:
You're right I haven't. I can go by what I see, though. I saw 20 or more goalies who played in the palyoffs who worked hard and presumably all didn't want to give up a goal. I saw about 400 goals scored in the playoffs. I saw only ONE goal replied to by shooting the puck at the opponents, and only ONE empty-net goal followed by a slash from the goalie ON THE BENCH.

When this behaviour comes from someone whom everyone is saying acquired a much better attitude second half of last year, this is disconcerting counter-evidence.

I hope I'm wrong to have doubt, and I'll be very pleased if and when Carey comes through for us. I remain a fan of his and of the team's!
Uh huh, and how many of those goalies didn't play for over a month before only playing 1 full playoff game and being 22-23 years old and was even booed one time in the Bell Center for being one of the three stars?

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

You know I feel the same way, but people like us on HF who have our doubts about Price right now are seen as idiots and just speak blasphemy.

I don't understand what is wrong with Price proving his worth. It worked just fine for Plekanec last year, we had a 70pts player for 2.75M. He got his due raise this summer. Let Price show us what he's REALLY made of.

Old
07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
This.
Quote:
You know I feel the same way, but people like us on HF who have our doubts about Price right now are seen as idiots and just speak blasphemy.

I don't understand what is wrong with Price proving his worth. It worked just fine for Plekanec last year, we had a 70pts player for 2.75M. He got his due raise this summer. Let Price show us what he's REALLY made of.
Thing is, people like you also doubted pleks and didn't give him a chance. Everyone knows Carey isn't ALREADY a star goalie, but there is no question he could have started on some teams this season. his 2.77 GAA and .912 Sv% on his "bad" season would have been welcomed on many teams (yeah yeah, he didn't get the W's... so what? Although it also involves him, it also involves the team infront of him).

With Halak gone, I think we will see most people rooting for Price by the end of the season. The only reason why people hated on Price was because we had something better in our system at the time. Now Price is all we have. Why go outta your way to create a thread bashing him... or "questioning his maturity"?

Because we were blessed with Halak, we forgot how lucky we are to have Price. I'm sure many GM's wished they drafted this kid.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
OK, so who is going to be the first to say that all this talk of Price's wonderful new attitude, which he must have cultivated since the end of Game 4 of the ECQF when he got two unsportsmanlike penalties for acting like a 13-year old kid, is just wishful thinking?

LAPIERRE, he is showing a good attitude. "I didn't have a great season last year, now is not the time to be greedy", he is quoted as saying.

It would be nice to hear similar words from Carey.

If the Habs hockey people are even thinking of succombing to the "potential" mirage and paying Carey more than $1.5M x 2 years, they should be fired. The key to success in a cap world is paying as little as you can for the guys you get. When you have the leverage and a guy has no arbitration rights and the league is swimming in goalies with .910 save percentages, you SECURE THE BENEFIT. Price's QO is under $1M. We should NOT be giving him much more.

It was one thing to "overpay" Lapierre by a token $60k in recognition of his attitude, but to overpay Price MILLIONS? Subban forbid!

It might behoove Gauthier to start publicly talking about a PLAN B now. Might smarten those folks up.
I'm not sure where you got your thread title. And what would "words" from Carey Price accomplish?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:17 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
Thing is, people like you also doubted pleks and didn't give him a chance. Everyone knows Carey isn't ALREADY a star goalie, but there is no question he could have started on some teams this season. his 2.77 GAA and .912 Sv% on his "bad" season would have been welcomed on many teams (yeah yeah, he didn't get the W's... so what? Although it also involves him, it also involves the team infront of him).

With Halak gone, I think we will see most people rooting for Price by the end of the season. The only reason why people hated on Price was because we had something better in our system at the time. Now Price is all we have. Why go outta your way to create a thread bashing him... or "questioning his maturity"?

Because we were blessed with Halak, we forgot how lucky we are to have Price. I'm sure many GM's wished they drafted this kid.
People like ME supported the 1 year deal given to Pleks, he delivered, I was happy and I'm happy with the deal we have him under currently. Your using hindsind to support your claim, what if we would have given him 3-4yrs at 3.75-4M per and he didn't rebound? Would you feel the same? Fact is in a cap-era with a team as pressed against the cap as we are with big contracts, we are not in a position to over pay based on potential, there HAS to be immediate results.

Thanks for assuming though.

My problem is people wanting to give a multi-year deal to goalie who has yet to truly prove his worth. You can't deny it. Yes, he was absolutely *remarkable* during 2007-2008.. Up until he faced Philly in the 2nd round and got absolutely lit up. He started off the 2008-2009 season relatively strong (as did the team). I believe he tweaked his groin in the SO victory against TB around New Years and he came back supposevely pre mature for the A/S game and he was never the same again after that. Last season wasn't terrible, it was actually a better season for him then 2008-2009 by a long shot despite less wins.

Why don't we just give him a 1 or 2 year deal at the approximate value his ELC with bonuses was worth (2.2M) and let him show us he deserves more. We have a boat load of cap space coming in after this season, I'd rather have him for 1-2 years relatively cheap and have to give him 5-5.5M after he's proved his worth then give him 3.5-4M a year for 3-4 years and have him completely bust. If I was PG, I wouldn't give him that big deal in fear of this. Thats MY approach. Only in time will we tell if I'm right or wrong. Book mark this if you like, I don't give a crap.

I don't WANT to see Price fail, on the contrary, I want to see him succeed. I want the team to succeed. This isn't a "OMGZ Hugh Ellerection hatez teh Price" situation, I don't. I just want him to prove his worth. Do you get a big raise at work without proving yourself? No you don't, so why should Carey.

Old
07-18-2010, 05:26 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Statistics can be twisted in any way you like them to be.

Fact is his personal statistics (Price) don't reflect whether or not the Habs scored infront of him or not, except for the W/L column.

Halak had better numbers then him in 2009 too, and yet Price still got the net. If can't accept this, your blind. Matter of fact, it wasn't even close. Halak's save percentage was .010 higher in 2009 and .012 higher in 2010. And don't even consider bringing up playoffs, because it's Halak > Price and it's not even close. Price's playoff statistics are down right laughable.

The numbers of Price in 08-09 are PRETTY GOOD (not AVERAGE) IF and I repeat IF you remove his stats for the month of February

In 09-2010, Price was very good BUT his teamates were not able to score... Average of 2.15 goal per game (at some point during the year)

While Halak was winning (because of his good play AND because of the help of his teamates), Price was losing by giving up a bad goal and losing the game...

He then lost some confidence and his attitude could be improved...

HOW MANY GAME DO PRICE SAVED HIS TEAMMATES ? PLENTY

HOW MANY GAME DO THE PLAYERS SAVED CAREY? 1 or 2... no more

Price stats the lasts two seasons are somewhat falsed.

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
The numbers of Price in 08-09 are PRETTY GOOD (not AVERAGE) IF and I repeat IF you remove his stats for the month of February

In 09-2010, Price was very good BUT his teamates were not able to score... Average of 2.15 goal per game (at some point during the year)

While Halak was winning (because of his good play AND because of the help of his teamates), Price was losing by giving up a bad goal and losing the game...

He then lost some confidence and his attitude could be improved...

HOW MANY GAME DO PRICE SAVED HIS TEAMMATES ? PLENTY

HOW MANY GAME DO THE PLAYERS SAVED CAREY? 1 or 2... no more

Price stats the lasts two seasons are somewhat falsed.
Of course the stats are "falsed", you chose to look at them this way.

If you add Cammalleri's playoff totals to his regular season totals he scored 39 goals in 84 games. He scored 26 goals in 65 games in reality during the regular season. I'm not saying his goal totals we're not good, I'm just showing you how you can easily find ways to twist statistics to better or worse a situation.

Carey DID have his good games this year. You want to know the difference between Halak and Price this past season?

Halak found ways to stop pucks, Price found a way to allow a bad goal.

How many times did Price get very close to recording a shutout this year only to have his bid soured by a softy? It happened atleast 3-4 times by memory. It's unfortunate, but I strongly believe 95% of Price's problems are mental... And it's very difficult to overcome this in professional sports. I want to see him prove he can overcome it.

I DON'T HATE PRICE.

Old
07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
SpezNc

Quote:

[B]
B]
Like you said, you can twist the stats in order to prove your points. It's the beauty of stats...

But I have to disagree with you sentence:

In some games, Halak wasn't sharp at all.. very not... but his teamates were able to score more goals and he won..

In some games, Price was VERY VERY good but his teamates let in down... He then lost confidence...

I can resume the season that:

Everything that Halak was doing (even the bad one) was ending by a positive note

Everything that Price was doing (even the good one) was ending by a negative note

But in the end, the difference was not very big

How many game do Halak was pull out? how many games do Halak gave up more than 3 goals in regulation time?

How many games do Price was pull out? how many games do Price gave up more than 3 goals in regulation time?

We can twist the stats as much as we can but in the end, the two goalies were very good last year. Without them, we were in big trouble...

Without Carey's and Jaros' performances, we would have not made the playoffs...

Carey even in a losing record help us to make the playoffs because he stoled us more game then the reverse.

In his victories, he was often the main reason. In the lost, most of the time, he was simply part of the team that lost the game....

I have always preferred Price over Halak. it's why I'm happy to see Price stays instead of Halak. But in the end, we got TWO GREAT GOALIES LAST YEAR AT A CHEAP PRICE

Less than 2M$ for this 2 stud... This year Auld is making more money than Price or Halak last year...

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote