HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rule changes that you would like to see.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2010, 01:23 AM
  #1
morgan_mtl
Registered User
 
morgan_mtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Rule changes that you would like to see.

Just would like to start a conversation on different rule changes you would like to see.

I would like to see the icing rule changed where as even if your killing a penalty it would still be icing. Might add some offense if you know if you ice the puck you have to stay out there and keep going. It would make it really tough on the pk and having a goalie with good rebound control would be very important to get line changes.

I would like to see a slight change to the puck into the crowd resulting in an automatic 2 minute penalty. I really think the refs should meet up on this call and ask if the player was under forchecking pressure when he shot the puck in the crowd. Two plays that really bugged me were when S, Soury playing for the oilers killing a penalty shot the puck from his zone and it went over the goalie head and into the netting and he got a penalty. Also last year Gomez got the puck at the top of the circle and I believe it was Gionta that took off for the offensive zone and Gomez tried to make an offensive play by flipping the puck over the opponents head but it ended up in the penalty box and he was penalized.

Last one for me would be when a player gets a 2 minute penalty for somthing say tripping or hooking. The play is called when his team touches the puck and he grabs a player trying to get the other team to also get a penalty. I think it should be an automatic 10 min. misconduct penalty.

What are some rule changes you would like to see.

Ps maybe change it to where two weeks after one season ends the next starts cause this is too much of a wait for us habs fans to wait for the next game.

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
  #2
Rizzuto88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
No to all of those, except the new season one.

Rizzuto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:30 AM
  #3
shortcat1
Registered User
 
shortcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Downtown Palau, ON
Country: Palau
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
'Finishing a check' should be made illegal.

If a player no longer has the puck, he should not be hit, the hit should be treated the same as Late Hits in football. It should be as it really is, Interference, Boarding or Unnecessary (or Excessive) Roughness.

It may take away a bit from the 'spectacle' of the game or make it 'too soft' for the liking of those who need that kind of gladiatorish sport but, too bad. The health & safety of players shouldn't be compromised for the sake of loud bangs on the boards or spectacular contacts & players splayed on the ice along with the loud 'exciting' commentary of the announcers.


Last edited by shortcat1: 07-18-2010 at 05:40 AM.
shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:06 AM
  #4
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Eliminate blue line offsides when entering the zone, keep the rule when they are in the offensive zone (have to back-up to blueline if puck leaves zone, would work differently, where all players have to go back to central before going back in, even without the puck), and no three zone passes, you would have to pass your own blue line before passing to a player further than the offensive blueline.

People always get hicky when I talk about this, but it would be one of the only logical ways of opening up the game and allowing speed to be the primary factor for the game.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:10 AM
  #5
Dogbert*
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
'Finishing a check' should be made illegal.

If a player no longer has the puck, he should not be hit, the hit should be treated the same as Late Hits in football. It should be as it really is, Interference, Boarding or Unnecessary (or Excessive) Roughness.

It may take away a bit from the 'spectacle' of the game or make it 'too soft' for the liking of those who need that kind of gladiatorish sport but, too bad. The health & safety of players shouldn't be compromised for the sake of loud bangs on the boards or spectacular contacts & players splayed on the ice along with the loud 'exciting' commentary of the announcers.
Please, for the sake of the sport, go watch soccer.

There doesn't need to be more rule changes. If anything, the NHL needs to repeal some of the ones it's made, since almost everything it's changed since about 1994 has been a monumental failure.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:27 AM
  #6
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!
 
TheHabMan43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
I'd like to see the trapezoid removed, goaltenders being able to handle the puck in the corners would allow the puck to get up the ice faster and incresed mistakes by the goaltenders resulting in more goals.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:44 AM
  #7
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,953
vCash: 500
No touch icing.
It's just too dangerous now that no one is being held up.

I have always liked the idea of going back to penalties being the full duration whether a goal is scored or not.
It would really cut back on penalties but unfortunately I just don't have enough faith in the ref's to make it work.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:49 AM
  #8
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!
 
TheHabMan43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
No touch icing.
It's just too dangerous now that no one is being held up.

I have always liked the idea of going back to penalties being the full duration whether a goal is scored or not.It would really cut back on penalties but unfortunately I just don't have enough faith in the ref's to make it work.
Wasn't that rule changed because Beliveau scored 4 goals on 1 penalty or something?

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:57 AM
  #9
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
I'd like to see the trapezoid removed, goaltenders being able to handle the puck in the corners would allow the puck to get up the ice faster and incresed mistakes by the goaltenders resulting in more goals.
THIS!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:21 AM
  #10
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
i dont get the reasoning or the trapez??

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:30 AM
  #11
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
Icing should be called as soon as the puck go past the red line (like the Olympics)

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:12 AM
  #12
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Wasn't that rule changed because Beliveau scored 4 goals on 1 penalty or something?
Because of the Canadiens in general yeah, they routinely scored twice per powerplay and the other 5 teams had enough lol.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:32 AM
  #13
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
The only thing I'd like to see is consistency

Call the games the same from Game 1 to the SCF

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:47 AM
  #14
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
I'd like to see the trapezoid removed, goaltenders being able to handle the puck in the corners would allow the puck to get up the ice faster and incresed mistakes by the goaltenders resulting in more goals.
Agree. That was a stupid change.

I would also like automatic icing when the puck crosses the goal line. Too many dangerous hits and falls happened over the years.

I would also changed rules about penalties.

When it is a '' soft '' penalty like holding, hooking, stick grabbing, tripping, and delay of game (shooting the puck accidentally or intintionnaly in the stands), I would keep the two-minutes, ending when there is an opponent scoring a goal.

For more ''physical'' penalties like boarding, elbowing, high sticking, roughing, and so on. I would give a full 2 minute penalty wathever is happening in goal scoring.

Finally, I would like changes in points gathering.

3 points for a win in regulation

2 points for a win in OT - No bonus point for the loser

1 point for a win in SO - No bonus point fopr the loser

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
  #15
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool
 
Rhiessan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Guelph, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Finally, I would like changes in points gathering.

3 points for a win in regulation

2 points for a win in OT - No bonus point for the loser

1 point for a win in SO - No bonus point fopr the loser

Damn, I forgot all about this one.
Though I would prefer leaving it the way it is, just change a win in regulation to 3 points as there actually isn't any point to awarding 3 for a reg win if you don't get 1 for OT/SO losses.

Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:56 AM
  #16
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
  • Get rid of the skills competitions that some call shootout and replace it with a 5 minutes 3 on 3 sudden death OT if tied after the 5 minutes at 4 on 4 OT. If still tied, both teams get a point, two points for a win in regulation or OT, and no points for a loss in OT.

  • Get rid of the instigator rule

  • Go back to the one referee system but give the linesmen more freedom in calling infractions behind the play. They already call the "too many men on the ice", so allow them to call major infractions such as hit from behind, spearing, severe hit sticking, hits to the head, etc... Too many referees can't keep up with the speed of the game at the NHL level, whether they aren't ready or simply not good enough.Two judgments on the ice calling two different games is not working.

  • Get rid of the automatic two minutes penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, goalie or not. Let the referee be the judge and penalize if it's intentional. Not perfect, but better than it is now.

  • Eliminate the no-play area for goalies, but make them fair game if they venture out of their net and play the puck. If they want to be a 3rd defenseman, they can take a check.

  • Bring in the no-touch icing. A safety issue, a stall tactic, it's long overdue.

  • Get rid of the hit from behind rule but leave the boarding rule. This will keep players from purposely turning their back to avoid getting hit along the boards. Hitting is a huge part of hockey.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:25 AM
  #17
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
'Finishing a check' should be made illegal.

If a player no longer has the puck, he should not be hit, the hit should be treated the same as Late Hits in football. It should be as it really is, Interference, Boarding or Unnecessary (or Excessive) Roughness.

It may take away a bit from the 'spectacle' of the game or make it 'too soft' for the liking of those who need that kind of gladiatorish sport but, too bad. The health & safety of players shouldn't be compromised for the sake of loud bangs on the boards or spectacular contacts & players splayed on the ice along with the loud 'exciting' commentary of the announcers.
No thank you, the game is fine. The first rule change I would like to see is the removal of the trapezoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Eliminate blue line offsides when entering the zone, keep the rule when they are in the offensive zone (have to back-up to blueline if puck leaves zone, would work differently, where all players have to go back to central before going back in, even without the puck), and no three zone passes, you would have to pass your own blue line before passing to a player further than the offensive blueline.

People always get hicky when I talk about this, but it would be one of the only logical ways of opening up the game and allowing speed to be the primary factor for the game.
Another no thank you, the game doesn't need drastic, ridiculous rule changes. It needs the already existing rule book enforced.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:28 AM
  #18
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,825
vCash: 50
Awards:
-Remove the trapezoid to let goaltenders play the puck more.
-Remove the instigator because it's just stupid.
-Remove the delay of game rule, because if a player mistakenly put the puck over the glass, being penalized is just... well, stupid.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
  #19
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,947
vCash: 500
No more instigator

No more trapezoid

No touch icing.

No more penalty for flipping the puck over the glass until all the glass heights are the same around the league.

If a goalie comes out to play the puck he becomes a player and is a subject to contact. I'm tired of goalies coming out of their net and interfering with players.

Also, it was a rule proposed by Gainey that I kind of liked, players are prohibited from waiting behind their net while their team makes a line change. I don't if prohibiting a player is the right decision, but maybe giving players delay of game penalties for standing behind their own net for too long, sometimes it's ridiculous.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
  #20
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
  • Get rid of the skills competitions that some call shootout and replace it with a 5 minutes 3 on 3 sudden death OT if tied after the 5 minutes at 4 on 4 OT. If still tied, both teams get a point, two points for a win in regulation or OT, and no points for a loss in OT.

  • Get rid of the instigator rule

  • Go back to the one referee system but give the linesmen more freedom in calling infractions behind the play. They already call the "too many men on the ice", so allow them to call major infractions such as hit from behind, spearing, severe hit sticking, hits to the head, etc... Too many referees can't keep up with the speed of the game at the NHL level, whether they aren't ready or simply not good enough.Two judgments on the ice calling two different games is not working.

  • Get rid of the automatic two minutes penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, goalie or not. Let the referee be the judge and penalize if it's intentional. Not perfect, but better than it is now.

  • Eliminate the no-play area for goalies, but make them fair game if they venture out of their net and play the puck. If they want to be a 3rd defenseman, they can take a check.

  • Bring in the no-touch icing. A safety issue, a stall tactic, it's long overdue.

  • Get rid of the hit from behind rule but leave the boarding rule. This will keep players from purposely turning their back to avoid getting hit along the boards. Hitting is a huge part of hockey.
I agree with all of them except 3 on 3 in OT, just as gimmicky as the shootout and not at all required. I would also like to get rid of the 4 vs 4 in OT, why change the game after 60 minutes of play and only for the regular season? I can see how this could be confusing for casual fans and it's completely stupid. They need to bring back ties and change it to W=2Pts, T=1PT, and L=0, like it always should of been.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
  #21
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_mtl View Post
Just would like to start a conversation on different rule changes you would like to see.
My list is long, but is basically all centred around four themes:

A) fewer stoppages in play;
B) reduction in the types of fouls that lead to injuries and/or games getting out of control;
C) more justice in the consequences of penalties versus their effect on play; and
D) more offence/goals.

1. Eliminate the trapezoid that is restricting the goaltender. (A)

2. No-touch icing. Can be waved off by the blueline linesman if a forward is ahead of all defenders going into the zone after the puck (in other words an OFFENSIVE play is not called back). (A and B and C)

3. Eliminate the penalty for puck into the crowd, and make the consequence that the defensive team cannot change players. (D)

4. Be consistent with the finishing the check rule. Decide either to stop penalizing the defenceman who hits a forward who just chipped the puck past him and is chasing it (he was the last man to touch the puck) or START penalizing the late hit to the forechecker who hits a man who just passed the puck. Hell, sometimes the hit even comes AFTER a teammate has received the guy's pass, and it is STILL not called interference. Unless the late hit is on a goalie, then it usually IS penalized. All this is is blatant INCONSISTENCY and needs to fixed in one direction or the other. (B and C)

5. Eliminate the 'tweener 4 minute penalty for drawing a tiny amount of blood with a high stick. All stick fouls to the head are either 2 minutes, or 5 minutes for intent or gross danger/negligence. However, the restriction on 1 goal to the power play is removed except for minor "impeding the progress" fouls (tripping, hooking, holding, interference). The idea is that those minor fouls AT WORST prevented a scoring chance for ONE goal, and so should not lead to two or more PP goals. DANGEROUS fouls such as high-sticking, boarding, slashing, slew-footing, and cross-checking should be a full two minutes. Also goaltender interference. Five minute MAJOR fouls remain as now. Note: "cross checking" that is more like the hands pushing a guy in the back during a battle for position will be treated like interference, and only very violent crosschecks in that situation would be penalized as 5 minute fouls. (B and C and D)

6. Eliminate the rule that calls a play dead for hand-pass or hand-goal. (A and D)

7. Be consistent with the stick too high touching the puck rule. Either allow goals when the puck is touched higher than crossbar but below neck height, or whistle down play when players touch the puck above 4 feet from the ice instead of the Neck height rule now in effect. Either having a stick 4.5 feet off the ground is dangerous or it isn't. (C and D)

8. Allow video replay to be used to determine whether to call back goals where there is contact with the goaltender in the crease. This should discourage EXCESSIVE crowding of the net area without penalizing the offensive team for coming close to the net but respecting the blue paint. (C)

9. Unsportsmanlike penalty for trash-talking. A guy who is yelling to his opponent that he loved banging his sister last week, or attacking someone for being gay/black/Jewish/French/Asian, etc., and says such things loud enough to be heard by an official, is being loud enough to be heard by the fans, and this is unprofessional and needs to stop. (B and C)

10. If a player embellishes an impeding foul, the ref simply yells "embelishment" and play continues rather than stopping play to give out coincidental minors but also giving fans time and opportunity to ***** and complain and slow the game down further. (A and C)

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
  #22
Medsas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
remove shootout, go back to having ties
also game points should be zero-sum.

Medsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
  #23
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsas View Post
remove shootout, go back to having ties
also game points should be zero-sum.
I agree. Game points NOT being ALL zero-sum (actually 2-sum or 3-sum) creates injustice and invites potential corruption all over the place.

An OT loss should be a LOSS. If that seems harsh, eliminate OT. Both teams get one point for a tie.

If keeping the shootout, then it HAS to be worth less than a whole game, so we have to go to three point games, with shootout winners getting 2 points and losers 1 point.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
  #24
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
  • Get rid of the skills competitions that some call shootout and replace it with a 5 minutes 3 on 3 sudden death OT if tied after the 5 minutes at 4 on 4 OT. If still tied, both teams get a point, two points for a win in regulation or OT, and no points for a loss in OT.

  • Get rid of the instigator rule

  • Go back to the one referee system but give the linesmen more freedom in calling infractions behind the play. They already call the "too many men on the ice", so allow them to call major infractions such as hit from behind, spearing, severe hit sticking, hits to the head, etc... Too many referees can't keep up with the speed of the game at the NHL level, whether they aren't ready or simply not good enough.Two judgments on the ice calling two different games is not working.

  • Get rid of the automatic two minutes penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, goalie or not. Let the referee be the judge and penalize if it's intentional. Not perfect, but better than it is now.

  • Eliminate the no-play area for goalies, but make them fair game if they venture out of their net and play the puck. If they want to be a 3rd defenseman, they can take a check.

  • Bring in the no-touch icing. A safety issue, a stall tactic, it's long overdue.

  • Get rid of the hit from behind rule but leave the boarding rule. This will keep players from purposely turning their back to avoid getting hit along the boards. Hitting is a huge part of hockey.
End of thread. Although, I'm not a fan of the no-touch icing because I like the hustle to beat the other player... but yeah, it can be dangerous.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:38 PM
  #25
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
I hate when players on the ice gets a -1 in the +/- when opposite team score in a empty net...........

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.