HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Value of a solid bottom 6 forward to Edmonton

Old
07-18-2010, 02:10 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
They don't have experience but you could probably get one of Dale Weise, Brodie Dupont or Dane Byers for fair value. Especially Byers and Dupont who seem to be on their last chance with the Rangers system.

If it's experience you want, you missed out on the Aaron Voros sale but we've still got Patrick Rissmiller

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:16 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
They don't have experience but you could probably get one of Dale Weise, Brodie Dupont or Dane Byers for fair value. Especially Byers and Dupont who seem to be on their last chance with the Rangers system.

If it's experience you want, you missed out on the Aaron Voros sale but we've still got Patrick Rissmiller
Weise would be a nice addition. Unfortunately the line likely could look like Paarjaarvi - X - Brule, so experience is somehow necessary.

Actually you have exactely what we needed, but unfortunately it is paid ways too much .

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Pyke*

Chris Kelly should be available in Ottawa... He's better than many of those listed.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Chris Kelly should be available in Ottawa... He's better than many of those listed.
Already had this going before on page one. Even wanted to go to the Senator's board with that idea before I opened that trade.

What would you think about Kelly + Lee ---> Cogliano and a mid level prospect?

Old
07-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
Already had this going before on page one. Even wanted to go to the Senator's board with that idea before I opened that trade.

What would you think about Kelly + Lee ---> Cogliano and a mid level prospect?
I actually really like Lee, but the organization seems to have decided he's part of the old regime, so I suspect you could work out a deal on something like that.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Tazzy13

The guy the Oil should be targeting (and are if the rumors I hear are true) is Eric Belanger.

Perfect fit for a third line center for us, adn a UFA, so no trade necessary lol

Asham would be sweet, Dupont would be awesome too. Moose played a few years ago for the Hitmen, and I've met him a few times. Great kid.

Tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Torrey Mitchell from SJ?
- size no
- grit yes
- face-off ability (if itís a center) yes
- experience no
- if possible also able to chip in some points yes

he provides 3/5 things and tons of speed.

What would SJ want in return? Personally, for you to take huskins for a bag of pucks.

We then trade our 7th to you guys for Souray and a pick

So it would basically become

Souray
4th (roughly feel free to disagree)
Bag of pucks

for

Mitchell
Huskins
7th

Works for both teams IMO

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Tazzy13

I agree that works for both teams, I would do that deal in a milisecond

Tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predsicle420 View Post
Jered Smithson, Cal O'reilly, and 5th for Cogliano
Um, no? That deal accomplishes nothing for us. Cogliano would barely play.

I would like to see Smithson moved, though, and based on the OP, Jerred seems like a good fit in Edmonton. We can't take a player back, though, or it defeats the purpose of the trade. How about Smithson for a 5th round pick instead?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:07 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Torrey Mitchell from SJ?
- size no
- grit yes
- experience no

What would SJ want in return? Personally, for you to take huskins for a bag of pucks.

Souray
2nd

for

Mitchell
Huskins

Works for both teams IMO
I do that in a second for an Edmonton point of view, feel free to change the 4th to a 2nd or so if needed. Remove your 7th if it matters at all. The trade gets rid of Souray, who the organization clearly doesn't want anymore due to the fall-out and gives us some good depth and more speed in an already fast lineup. Mitchell is only 25, fits with the youth movement and Huskins adds some defensive depth and we can afford to wave him or buy him out or even keep him depending on his ability. 1.5 million isn't much with the amount of cap room we have available.

Also keep in mind, Souray was a team MVP a season ago. He was a leader. He can still play and on a lineup like San Jose's with their powerplay I'd expect 15+ goals from him. Maybe even 20+ depending on his shoulder. He'd add a very good element to your defense paired with a Boyle. (he works best with a quick skater)

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:26 AM
OilerFanSinceGretzky

Done deal from an OILERS point of view, its an additional 2.3 million cap hit for San Jose but the 2nd Rounder evens the deal out. San Jose can than leverage that pick at the trade deadline and add depth or fill a hole with a rental player for the playoff run. Souray replaces Blake, and lets face it hes a much much better player than Blake, id estimate 20+ goals for Souray playing on that powerplay(Thorton one-timer) with his shot.

OilerFanSinceGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Prussian_Blue

Brad Winchester for a prospect.

Quote:
He should provide some of the following attributes:

- size CHECK
- grit CHECK
- face-off ability (if itís a center)
- experience CHECK
- if possible also able to chip in some points HALF-CHECK, depending on how he's used

As not many players like that are left in free agency, it might be necessary to get one via trade.

So which players could you offer and what would you want for them?
Salary (at least as long as he isnít grossly overpaid) is not a that big problem, as we have enough cap space. JUST RE-SIGNED FOR $700K

PS: I know that it is actually unlikely that we are looking for a trade like that, itís just out of interest.
I'd love to get Linus Omark out of the Oil, but I doubt they're crazy enough to trade him for Winchester. Anton Lander or Teemu Hartikainen, maybe...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:20 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Brad Winchester for a prospect
Been there. Done that. Don't want him back on the Oil.

Guys like Asham & Moen would be my targets. If I were aiming younger - Hanzal, Bolland, Dubinsky.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
But there should at least be some more talent included. Ruutu is 34, Cogs 23.
I would be all for it, if Ottawa tossed in something else, a draft pick or mid range defensive prospect (no, I don't mean Cowen or Rundblad).

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Akonite

Quote:

I'd love to get Linus Omark out of the Oil, but I doubt they're crazy enough to trade him for Winchester. Anton Lander or Teemu Hartikainen, maybe...
Brad's been here before, and he wouldn't be my first choice to bring back.

If it came down to it though i'd move a pick fir Winchester instead of a prospect (and call me crazy but IMO I'd move Hartikainan or even Omark before Lander)

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy13 View Post
The guy the Oil should be targeting (and are if the rumors I hear are true) is Eric Belanger.

Perfect fit for a third line center for us, adn a UFA, so no trade necessary lol

Asham would be sweet, Dupont would be awesome too. Moose played a few years ago for the Hitmen, and I've met him a few times. Great kid.
But if we really wanted to have Belanger and Belanger wanted to come here, why didn't we just sign then? Except that, I would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Torrey Mitchell from SJ?
- size no
- grit yes
- experience no

Souray
4th (roughly feel free to disagree)
Bag of pucks

for

Mitchell
Huskins
7th

Works for both teams IMO
Yay. Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
I do that in a second for an Edmonton point of view, feel free to change the 4th to a 2nd or so if needed. Remove your 7th if it matters at all. The trade gets rid of Souray, who the organization clearly doesn't want anymore due to the fall-out and gives us some good depth and more speed in an already fast lineup. Mitchell is only 25, fits with the youth movement and Huskins adds some defensive depth and we can afford to wave him or buy him out or even keep him depending on his ability. 1.5 million isn't much with the amount of cap room we have available.

Also keep in mind, Souray was a team MVP a season ago. He was a leader. He can still play and on a lineup like San Jose's with their powerplay I'd expect 15+ goals from him. Maybe even 20+ depending on his shoulder. He'd add a very good element to your defense paired with a Boyle. (he works best with a quick skater)
Wouldn't actually want to trade our 2nd. Maybe rather a 3rd and a 5th and leave out the seventh.

Quote:

Hm, I'm not sure about Winchester. He seems to be able to put up some points, but only did it one season. If any of the three you mentioned might go for it, it would be Hartikainen, but I'm not sure if I would make that move...

Old
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
btyahi

What, then, is the value of being able to convince any top 6 forwards to play in Edmonton? :-)

btyahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
hockeyball

How about something a little bit bigger?

Souray
Smid
Cogliano

Clowe
Murray
Mitchell
Huskins

EDM gets a top-6 that is everything that you were looking for in your OP. They get Mitchell who is a bottom 6 with speed, grit, faceoff ability and high upside.

Basically EDM is swapping back end talent (and a huge salary dump) for forward talent and size/grit. Shark's fix their defensive woe's, lose a lot of talent up front, but improve their team speed.

Could swap Huskins for a 3rd as well, depending on what EDM wants to do.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyahi View Post
What, then, is the value of being able to convince any top 6 forwards to play in Edmonton? :-)
I guess it might be something mastercard-wise: priceless ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
How about something a little bit bigger?

Souray
Smid
Cogliano

Clowe
Murray
Mitchell
Huskins

EDM gets a top-6 that is everything that you were looking for in your OP. They get Mitchell who is a bottom 6 with speed, grit, faceoff ability and high upside.

Basically EDM is swapping back end talent (and a huge salary dump) for forward talent and size/grit. Shark's fix their defensive woe's, lose a lot of talent up front, but improve their team speed.

Could swap Huskins for a 3rd as well, depending on what EDM wants to do.
I think it's fair value-wise, but losing Smid hurts. I guess there is no way doing this witout Smid?
If we were not rebuilding, we could do that trade easily, but so we lose our only young defenseman with potential.

Nevertheless I would really think about it, as it makes us a better team immideately, which would help us to develope our offensive prospects better.

Last edited by ERC91: 07-19-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I guess it might be something mastercard-wise: priceless ^^

I think it's fair value-wise, but losing Smid hurts. I guess there is no way doing this witout Smid?
If we were not rebuilding, we could do that trade easily, but so we lose our only young defenseman with potential.

Nevertheless I would really think about it, as it makes us a better team immideately, which would also help us to develope our offensive prospects better.
Ya not really, Smid's low salary makes up for Souray's inflated salary enough to make Souray worth it (and affordable). Murray is a great player, and Huskins ain't bad at all. We need to move that amount of salary to even make that trade, so I'm not sure how else to structure it.

We could probably throw in a guy like Joslin, he's a good young defensemen who is NHL ready and has the hardest shot in the AHL. He got stomped on depth wise by Demers here and probably needs a change of scenery as we really don't have a spot for him.

So:

SJ:
Souray
Smid
Cogliano
3rd 2011

EDM:
Clowe
Mitchell
Murray
Huskins
Joslin

Trades getting a little unwieldy though. Still, I think it helps both teams.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Horseradish

At this point, unless we're getting great value in a trade, I'd rather sign a vet or two for the bottom six. Was looking at the UFAs in the paper today and there are a few who intrigue me:

jeff cowan
Craig conroy
jeff halpern
ben guite
Richard park
Ryan johnson

I think all of these guys bring valuable leadership and ability as 3rd/4th liners to help bring along a few young guys who maybe aren't gifted enough offensively to be in the top 2 lines in the NHL but have the skating and hockey sense to be solid checkers.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Ya not really, Smid's low salary makes up for Souray's inflated salary enough to make Souray worth it (and affordable). Murray is a great player, and Huskins ain't bad at all. We need to move that amount of salary to even make that trade, so I'm not sure how else to structure it.

We could probably throw in a guy like Joslin, he's a good young defensemen who is NHL ready and has the hardest shot in the AHL. He got stomped on depth wise by Demers here and probably needs a change of scenery as we really don't have a spot for him.

So:

SJ:
Souray
Smid
Cogliano
3rd 2011

EDM:
Clowe
Mitchell
Murray
Huskins
Joslin

Trades getting a little unwieldy though. Still, I think it helps both teams.
I don't think the Oil would do anything with Smid involved, at least not for a Souray type package. Souray, Cogs and the pick for Murray, Huskins and whatever else it takes to even out salary.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I don't think the Oil would do anything with Smid involved, at least not for a Souray type package. Souray, Cogs and the pick for Murray, Huskins and whatever else it takes to even out salary.
Then we are not interested frankly.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I also don't think that we would do it, but I personally would really hard think about the original proposal, especially about the first variation.

I also like Smid, but I somehow think that it could be a "under the blind, the one eyed is the king" (sure i translated this wrong xD) feeling.

Adding physical presence with Clowe would extremely help to develop our rookies IMO and Murray for sure can play the same level than Smid for at least 2 years.

Besides with Clowe, we could maybe flip Penner for good young d-men when after next season, when our rookies have gained some more experience.

Old
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Then we are not interested frankly.
Not trying to call you out, but does Smid have that much value to you? Basically, I pulled Smid and Clowe from the trade, and you're not interested. That's fair enough, but would love some more info on why, I always thought Clowe had pretty good value.