HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Value of a solid bottom 6 forward to Edmonton

Old
07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
What would you actually think about something like Kelly + Lee for Cogliano + mid level prospect?
I know you suggested Peckham or Chorney, but Ottawa's need is forwards. We've already got Cowen, Wiercioch, and Rundblad ahead of Peckham and Chorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I wouldn't mind picking up a Ruutu. Does he kill penalties? He is the kind of pest the Oilers haven't had in a while.

What about a Cogliano for Ruutu swap? The salaries would be very similar, althought Cogz hasn't signed a new contract.

As far as trading our prospects, I think Chorney could be sacraficed, but theres no way the Oilers move Peckham. They don't have many physical/shutdown guys, so its doubtful the Oil move Peckham.
Ruutu is a great PKer. He's also surprisingly good in the shootout. Cogliano for Ruutu I'd do, but as ERC91 said Ottawa probably has to add more. Cogliano for Ruutu + Lee?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Not trying to call you out, but does Smid have that much value to you? Basically, I pulled Smid and Clowe from the trade, and you're not interested. That's fair enough, but would love some more info on why, I always thought Clowe had pretty good value.
Because you are already getting the two best players in the trade (best right now). Clowe and Murray.

Smid has solid potential, Cogliano has decent potential, neither is really performing at the level of Clowe or Murray. Souray is essentially free, or negative value.

So if Smid is not included, we don't have enough cap space to get another top 4 defensemen. We NEED two defensemen. Since acquiring a defensemen around Smid's cap hit and quality is nearly impossible on it's own, it's part of this deal or it simply makes us worse overall.

Plus your getting some combo of Mitchell/Huskins/Joslin as well.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I know you suggested Peckham or Chorney, but Ottawa's need is forwards. We've already got Cowen, Wiercioch, and Rundblad ahead of Peckham and Chorney.
Which forward would you think of?

Quote:
Ruutu is a great PKer. He's also surprisingly good in the shootout. Cogliano for Ruutu I'd do, but as ERC91 said Ottawa probably has to add more. Cogliano for Ruutu + Lee?
Yes, I think this might work.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Because you are already getting the two best players in the trade (best right now). Clowe and Murray.

Smid has solid potential, Cogliano has decent potential, neither is really performing at the level of Clowe or Murray. Souray is essentially free, or negative value.

So if Smid is not included, we don't have enough cap space to get another top 4 defensemen. We NEED two defensemen. Since acquiring a defensemen around Smid's cap hit and quality is nearly impossible on it's own, it's part of this deal or it simply makes us worse overall.

I personally start to like this idea more and more.

Like I said before. Murray at least can perform 2 years on a solid level. Until then 3 top rookies should be ready to play top six. and together with Gagner, Hemsky and Clowe, it would be set, so that we could flip Penner to compensate the loss of Smid.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Prussian_Blue

Completely understand Oiler fans not wanting Winchester back...

How about Western Canada native DJ King for a pick or prospect? I hate to give up one of the best fighters in the league, but it doesn't look like he's in the Blues' long-term plans here, and he can actually play a little.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:12 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Which forward would you think of?

Yes, I think this might work.
Maybe Omark? But that's probably a no. To be honest, I'd love to have Smid in a Sens uniform, what about something around Ruutu + Rundblad + Lee for Smid + Omark? Too little?

Old
07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Maybe Omark? But that's probably a no. To be honest, I'd love to have Smid in a Sens uniform, what about something around Ruutu + Rundblad + Lee for Smid + Omark? Too little?
Puh, that's hard to rate neutrally. Both are real fan favorites here.

If Smid is going some one NHL ready would have to come back, as our defensive depth is not very deep.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

But I had pulled Clowe from the trade. That's my point. I had proposed what was essentially the same move, but removed Smid from the Oilers side and Clowe from the Sharks. It was Souray, Cogliano and 3rd round pick for Murray and Huskins. Or would Mitchell make it better due to your d-man issues?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Completely understand Oiler fans not wanting Winchester back...

How about Western Canada native DJ King for a pick or prospect? I hate to give up one of the best fighters in the league, but it doesn't look like he's in the Blues' long-term plans here, and he can actually play a little.
I wanted the Oil to try to get King earlier, then they went and signed Big Mac. I would prefer King, like you said, he can play...how about a 5th round pick? I really don't know what King's value is though.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
But I had pulled Clowe from the trade. That's my point. I had proposed what was essentially the same move, but removed Smid from the Oilers side and Clowe from the Sharks. It was Souray, Cogliano and 3rd round pick for Murray and Huskins. Or would Mitchell make it better due to your d-man issues?
We need two top-4 dmen. With Souray's contract, we cannot afford another top-4 dman unless they are making less than 1.5m. The list of top-4 dmen making less than 1.5m and available is a VERY short list.

So honestly, the whole deal hinges on Smid. Cogliano is a nice bonus, and Souray was already on waivers so irrelevant to the deal (other than you getting rid of him).

If you don't want to trade Smid, then Souray is unaffordable. Cogliano isn't valuable enough to be a linchpin.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Chris Drury

He's got 4 of your 5 criteria and we'll send him to you for Souray. He's just gotta waive his NMC.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Puh, that's hard to rate neutrally. Both are real fan favorites here.

If Smid is going some one NHL ready would have to come back, as our defensive depth is not very deep.
Ottawa can't really give up a top-4 D if that's what Edmonton is looking for, our defensive depth is in prospects, not players unfortunately. I understand that Smid's a favourite in Edmonton, that's why I want him for Ottawa (I've been an Oiler fan longer than a Sens fan). Solid 2-way, will be a good top-4 D.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
ERC91

Quote:
Ottawa can't really give up a top-4 D if that's what Edmonton is looking for, our defensive depth is in prospects, not players unfortunately. I understand that Smid's a favourite in Edmonton, that's why I want him for Ottawa (I've been an Oiler fan longer than a Sens fan). Solid 2-way, will be a good top-4 D.

Ok, I understand. But then it might get difficult. But I think that something around Omark and Rundblad could work. Allthough I don't know if the value is really there.

Old
07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
thebluewhiteandused

Go sign Ryan Johnsson or Wayne Primeau, i think Primeau was pretty solid for us

thebluewhiteandused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I wanted the Oil to try to get King earlier, then they went and signed Big Mac. I would prefer King, like you said, he can play...how about a 5th round pick? I really don't know what King's value is though.
Maybe a fourth? I doubt that the Blues would be able to get much more than that... unless they traded King to the Flyers.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
HemskyToHall*

I wish we kept Glencross.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
LightWeight

I agree with signing Belanger

LightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Switch Murray with Mitchell and id do the deal

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Chris Drury

He's got 4 of your 5 criteria and we'll send him to you for Souray. He's just gotta waive his NMC.
He doesn't want to play in Canada.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote