HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

So......................why so quiet on the trades?!?!

Old
07-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Jimmy Villa

vCash: 500
So......................why so quiet on the trades?!?!

Hi guys,

This is my first off-season since NHL gripped my life and ate my soul, so I'm not wildly familiar with the trends, but...........

Why since the draft/UFA Opening day+night as there been like nothing happening?

There are still a TON of UFAs, a handful of quality RFAs out there, and no one is making trades, like at all. Infact, correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been a trade since July 9th? (Voros+Hillier for Eminger)

After the first day of the UFAs when First the Flyers grabbed Shelley for a STEAL, then the Rangers fans were laughing hard until they got Boogey for an even BIGGER deal, I was laughing so hard at this forum!!!

Then when Oli Jokinen went back to Calgary, reading these posts brought so much humour!!

But it's been quiet since........Any idea why, or when it will pick up again? I enjoy trades/signings

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:23 PM
grabo84

Everybody's waiting for Kovalchuk to sign. Once that shoe drops, everything else will slot into place.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
decadentia

Personally I believe Kovalchuk will have a domino effect when he signs. He has a lot of teams waiting, whether it be directly or indirectly.

That coupled with the salary cap.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 325
Kovalchuk needs to sign

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

1) Kovy needs to sign
2) Teams going with youth to fill roster spots
3) Arbitration rulings (which ties into..)
4) Teams with no cap space and teams with no money to spend.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:39 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Many teams are over the cap (more than ever before), many teams are at the cap and many teams have their own internal cap.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Gorge Canuck

It usually dies down, I think the GM's collectively want to put a screw into the remaining UFA's. There seems to be a lot more youth on teams as well. But yeah it is amazing that there are so many players still available, they must be having a stressful summer.

Keep in mind there are RFA hearings in a few days and into the summer that will give teams a better idea of needs and available funds. There are also a number of teams against the cap so they are also waiting for the potential of a cheap deal there as well.

Gorge Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
boredmale

I think one of the problems is all the big spending teams(Philadelphia, Detroit, Rangers, Chicago) can't spend

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:09 PM
theduster77

Kovy

theduster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Fred1234

Kovalchuk and cap holding tight gm's balls.

Fred1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Why do people think it's all about Kovy?

I mean, there are only 2-3-4 teams that would possibly be interested anyways, and those teams could be holding off.

IMO, it's the economy and lots of teams not wanting to spend money and shake things up. This year is also a very weak UFA crop, and that is hurting things, but I definitely think it's more than just Kovy.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:22 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

I mean, there are only 2-3-4 teams that would possibly be interested anyways, and those teams could be holding off.

IMO, it's the economy and lots of teams not wanting to spend money and shake things up. This year is also a very weak UFA crop, and that is hurting things, but I definitely think it's more than just Kovy.
flyers are gonna move gags based on kovy, but other than that we are done for the offseason TBH...

i agree, i think we are finally seeing how a salary cap can stagnate the market for trades and UFAs...took a few years, but now MANY MANY teams are close to the cap. and teams that aren't have no intention of getting closer to the cap when they can spend less money instead.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Everybody's waiting for Kovalchuk to sign. Once that shoe drops, everything else will slot into place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Personally I believe Kovalchuk will have a domino effect when he signs. He has a lot of teams waiting, whether it be directly or indirectly.

That coupled with the salary cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
Kovalchuk needs to sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoDynasty View Post
1) Kovy needs to sign
2) Teams going with youth to fill roster spots
3) Arbitration rulings (which ties into..)
4) Teams with no cap space and teams with no money to spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
It usually dies down, I think the GM's collectively want to put a screw into the remaining UFA's. There seems to be a lot more youth on teams as well. But yeah it is amazing that there are so many players still available, they must be having a stressful summer.

Keep in mind there are RFA hearings in a few days and into the summer that will give teams a better idea of needs and available funds. There are also a number of teams against the cap so they are also waiting for the potential of a cheap deal there as well.
Heres your answer, the first six posts basically sum it up...

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

it shouldnt hold up everything but it should hold up the bigger deals and UFA signings

Which ever team misses out on Kolvalchuck will sign frolov, poni or trade for gagne

The teams in the fight for Kovy are most interested in Kabs so after he signs they will know who on their team is available and Burke wants to wait till all offers are in until he decides

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:40 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:

Well, the Kings for example, aren't going to do anything until they know if they're getting Kovalchuk. If they're getting Ilya, they're going to want to wait and know what number he gets before making other moves.

If they don't get Kovalchuk, they have a ton of cap space left, which might make them attractive to other teams as a trade partner. The Kings were interested in defensemen on July 1 and didn't land one. Perhaps other teams with defensemen to move are willing to wait, hoping if LA doesn't get Kovalchuk, Lombardi will be desperate to do anything and overpay for a defenseman. Thus, they're willing to wait.

New Jersey might want to make some moves but again, they have to wait until Kovalchuk makes up his mind. The Flyers want to move someone but teams are reluctant to take on big price players, which is what the Flyers likely want to move.

The other big factor is it's July 18. It's not like camps open next week. Teams with cap space know that as it gets closer to camp, those teams at or above the cap are going to get more desperate to shed salary. By waiting, they're hoping the prices on salary dump players are going to get even lower.

The weak UFA crop isn't helping. What's the rush to sign a bunch of 3-4th line forwards or bottom pair defensemen? The big name players went in the first few days except Kovalchuk (who's market was going to be limited anyways) and Frolov. There's nice complementary players out there but it's not like there's a ton of guys still available where GMs are sitting around thinking, "We're screwed if we don't sign this guy."

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:55 PM
5H4RK5

............................we have to use secret code because the Nucks and Flyers are trying to hold a monopoly on defensemen. SHHHHHHHHHHHHh don't tell anybody.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Jimmy Villa

Hey, thanks for all the views guys.

Had a feeling the Kovy situation was holding things up......sneaky Russian!!

Seems Kovy, Gagne & Kaberle have the biggest question marks over them currently.

With that said, and referring to a previous post about LA needing another D man, IF the Kings don't land Kovy, anyone think they could go with Gagne AND Kaberle?!

Judging by some of the figures being knocked around, they could surely get them both for the same (or less) cap hit?

Just a thought.........

HURRY UP KOVY!!!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I think between the salary increases the top end talent in this league is getting, in conjunction with the youth movement a lot of teams are leaning towards to balance things out (with lower salaries), there's a really good chance that some decent NHL players can find themselves scrambling to find jobs. A lot of teams are up against the cap, and several more are working with internal caps. I think you're going to find a lot of players having to either take pay cuts to play with a contender, or having to settle with playing with a non-contender if the paycheck is so crucial.

I think teams are quickly finding that building from within is paramount in this environment. Good drafting, deep farm systems...cheap, competent talent that can step in and compliment a teams higher paid core while developing at the NHL level with the ability to fill the top roles when the stars get too expensive to retain.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:59 PM
GCM
Stork

A lot of teams have RFA's going to arbitration or sitting unsigned.

Those same teams are close to the cap.

What this means is they are waiting till they sign their own RFAs so they can better judge who they can afford to or NEED to move.

Take the Canucks for example.

Everyone knows Bieksa is very likely to be traded, but the Canucks are up against the cap with Mason Raymond, a 25 goal scoring 24 year old RFA, unsigned.

Once Raymond is signed, the Canucks can then work trades to fit more nicely with the Cap.

Depending on how big the contract is, maybe both Bieksa and O'Brien might have to be moved to create space. If the contract is reasonable, perhaps moving Bieksa alone will be sufficient.

A lot of teams are in this position.

then there is Kovalchuk. Because he's such a big piece at such a high cost, WHERE he signs has a large effect on a lot of trades.

If he were to sign in Anaheim, Anaheim would likely have to start trading some players, and a team like LA that lost out on Kovy would have all that cap space to seek out free agents.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:

The reason why those 2-4 teams can hold everything up is because if they don't get Kovalchuk (and obviously only 1 can) they suddenly have different needs. Maybe without Kovalchuk NJD go after Gagne or pursue Kaberle harder.

There's also players like Frolov that are the "secondary" options for teams. LA or NJD or whoever isn't going to burn cap space signing them if they can still get Kovalchuk.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Kovy needs to sign, Arbitration hearings need to end.

And also lost in the dust here, wouldn't hurt things moving if Frolov, Mithcell and Turco buckled down and signed somewhere.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Since the GMs have ruined the league with big money contracts....the NHL could afford two expansion teams so the rest of these UFAs have jobs!

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Fred1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Since the GMs have ruined the league with big money contracts....the NHL could afford two expansion teams so the rest of these UFAs have jobs!
Lol at Quebec City and Winnepeg...

Fred1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM
TheBrokenRib

Everyone's waiting for this whole Souray thing to be dealt with and once that happens. It's fun day!

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote