HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne to Tampa Bay (EDIT: Confirmed)

Old
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
There's no need. If keeping Hamrlink means you cannot acquire someone like Frolov, Gagne or Colby Armstrong, then he isn't worth the 5.5 mill he's making.
Colby armstrong is overpaid. Gagner makes almost the same money meaning we don't have room to get a defensemen who plays as many situations or eats up as many minutes as Hamrlik.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
JackZap

Quote:
You can sign a defensemen for 1 mill that would as good or better of a job than Hamrlik. Hamrlik was abysmal in the playoffs last year and he's regressing badly.
not a big Hamrlik fan but he was good when Markov was injured. Im thinking the fact that Markov is injured is why they are keeping him as opposed to getting a 1M dman who u arent sure what he can give u.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
not a big Hamrlik fan but he was good when Markov was injured. Im thinking the fact that Markov is injured is why they are keeping him as opposed to getting a 1M dman who u arent sure what he can give u.
also let's not forget that you probably will not find a 1 million dollar defenseman that can replace Hamrlik.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Colby armstrong is overpaid. Gagner makes almost the same money meaning we don't have room to get a defensemen who plays as many situations or eats up as many minutes as Hamrlik.
So Armstrong is overpaid, but you want to keep Hamrlik who makes the same salary as Duncan Keith? C'mon...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Unless our top 4 wingers lose 90 games and Markov misses half a season again, Habs are still the better team.
I'm not convinced about that at all. While I don't expect the Habs to get as many injuries as last year, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the same absurd level of goaltending either (this is not a Price vs. Halak comment; I just don't think any goalie is able to go .924 on a regular basis year-over-year). I expect the Habs to stay roughly at the same 88-point level, maybe go up to 90-92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Without Niittymäki their goaltending is a question mark and their defence isnt nothing to write home about.
Dan Ellis? Matthias Ohlund? Victor Hedman? Paul Ranger? Pavel Kubina? That's a lot of pretty good talent. Plus I fully expect them to be a very well-coached team, certainly better than the Habs, but then I have a lot of faith in Guy Boucher.

I don't see them finishing behind the Habs next year TBH.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Andy

Quote:
So Armstrong is overpaid, but you want to keep Hamrlik who makes the same salary as Duncan Keith? C'mon...
Hamrlik has one year left on his deal as is a pretty reliable top 4 d-man. Please give me a list of top 4 d-man willing to make 1 million dollars.

Dumping Harmlik isn't as easy as you make it seem and dumping him for Gagner makes no sense because they make the same salary and you just create another hole on D that you can't fill out.

I'm all for getting rid of Hamrlik's contract, so long as you can find a suitable replacement for him.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
gusfring

Quote:
also let's not forget that you probably will not find a 1 million dollar defenseman that can replace Hamrlik.
Sure you could. Hamrlik right now is at best a 5-6 defensemen. There are plenty of those available...

Brian Pothier
Jay Mckee
Mike Mottau
Christoph Schubert

Old
07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Wow Yzerman, WOW. Even I am angry by that trade, its essentially nothing for Gagne, wow.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Sure you could. Hamrlik right now is at best a 5-6 defensemen. There are plenty of those available...

Brian Pothier
Jay Mckee
Mike Mottau
Christoph Schubert
If you think any of those 4 could replace Hamrlik, you are completely out of your mind.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not convinced about that at all. While I don't expect the Habs to get as many injuries as last year, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the same absurd level of goaltending either (this is not a Price vs. Halak comment; I just don't think any goalie is able to go .924 on a regular basis year-over-year). I expect the Habs to stay roughly at the same 88-point level, maybe go up to 90-92.

Dan Ellis? Matthias Ohlund? Victor Hedman? Paul Ranger? Pavel Kubina? That's a lot of pretty good talent. Plus I fully expect them to be a very well-coached team, certainly better than the Habs, but then I have a lot of faith in Guy Boucher.

How dare you bring logic into this?

Tampa has no defense? Hilarious. Those top 4 are better than Montreal's.

Old
Andy

Quote:

Brian Pothier
Jay Mckee
Mike Mottau
Christoph Schubert
Christoph Schubert?

Hamrlik 5-6 defensemen?

Are you insane? You pretty much ignoring all of Hamrlik's efforts this year based on 5 games in 1 playoff series...that's crazy.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Christoph Schubert?

Hamrlik 5-6 defensemen?

Are you insane? You pretty much ignoring all of Hamrlik's efforts this year based on 5 games in 1 playoff series...that's crazy.
Hamrlik was BENCHED at the end of our playoff run. BENCHED!!! Top 4 d-men don't get benched.

Old
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:

Brian Pothier
Jay Mckee
Mike Mottau
Christoph Schubert
You can't be ****ing serious? Hamrlik a 5-6 dman? Tell me who your dealer is please... He's selling you some good stuff.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Santino

Quote:
Christoph Schubert?

Hamrlik 5-6 defensemen?

maybe nittany only became a fan as of the playoffs...

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Also, this thread is classic HFboards.

Teams that add players = automatically improved.

Teams that don't add players = same as last year or worse since "everyone around them has gotten better".

I remember last year when everyone was blowing Florida and Tampa and Atlanta and Toronto because they made Lots of Changes...some of you guys never learn.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
You can't be ****ing serious? Hamrlik a 5-6 dman? Tell me who your dealer is please... He's selling you some good stuff.
Ask anyone who isn't a die hard Habs fan who can't be objective what they think of Hamrlik... He's going downhil quickly and last year's playoffs were telling.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
maybe nittany only became a fan as of the playoffs...
Great argument.

Old
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Andy

Quote:

I don't see how Dan Ellis has proven enough to give you confidence that he will be an effective #1?

If Price is a question mark to us fans, then I don't see how Ellis isn't.

Paul Ranger didn't play much last because of personal reasons and might not play this year, no one knows yet.

Also, if people aren't willing to give Subban the benefit of the doubt in terms of performance for next season, I don't see how we can give Hedman such consideration.

Also Ohlund has aged just as much as Hamrlik and Spacek, yet we're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I see as many holes in Tampa's lineup as you do for the Habs.

Just a classic case of the grass is greener on the otherside.

Old
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Santino

Quote:
Great argument.
whoaa! no sense of humor i see. What are you a bitter 42 year old fart?

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Hamrlik was BENCHED at the end of our playoff run. BENCHED!!! Top 4 d-men don't get benched.
he got benched one game for the 3rd period.

Old
MathMan

Tampa has Dan Ellis. They no longer have a hole in goal.

They have pretty good D-men, including a pretty good top-4. I wouldn't go so far as call their blueline better than Montreal personnel-wise, but I fully expect them to look better than Montreal because Boucher should have them playing modern hockey and all indications are that Montreal won't be.

Which is sort of the problem really. Man-for-man I don't actually think that Tampa is significantly better than Montreal, if at all, but I expect them to make better use of their talent and be more successful as a result.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I can think of 18 Habs players that probably deserved to get benched in that series. We got shut out in 3 out of 4 losses for crying out loud, and you point the finger at Hamrlik? Give me a break.

Old
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Let the Why not in Montreal and Our hockey is sick discution begins

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
CanadienErrant*

I am pretty sure TB was on the top of Gagné's list.

Who would not want to play in a top-six with Stamkos, St-Louis, Malone, Lecavalier and Downie ? And with a dynamic management and coaching combo like Yzerman and Boucher ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

This might be the season where you finally learn the impact of puck-moving Ds in the new NHL.

You completely discount the fact that we are adding Subban, which WILL have an impact. When was the last time we had two real puck-moving Ds who each had their own line? 07-08.

If we don't get too many injuries, 100 points is not out of the question.

Also, Price had a +,920 save percentage after the Olympics. Has played one season and a half with a save percentage at ,920.

You also discount the fact that Montreal has one of the deepest and most talented defense in the east and a team that gelled together and won as a team in the playoffs. They have established chemistry. They have a coach who strives on teaching young players, which we have many good ones.

Hockey is not just about 1 + 1 = 2

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote