HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Florida Panthers Prospect Poll #6

View Poll Results: Who is the Panthers #6 Ranked Prospect?
Michal Repik - RW [2007 - 40th Overall] 20 43.48%
Quinton Howden - LW [2010 - 25th Overall] 9 19.57%
Jason Garrison - D [FA] 0 0%
Keaton Ellerby - D [2007 - 10th Overall] 3 6.52%
Kenndal McArdle - LW [2005 - 20th Overall] 0 0%
John McFarland - C [2010 - 33rd Overall] 8 17.39%
Alexander Petrovic - D [2010 - 36th Overall] 2 4.35%
Drew Shore - C [2009 - 44th Overall] 1 2.17%
Alexander Salak - G [FA] 2 4.35%
Evgeni Dadonov - RW [2007 - 71st Overall] 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 09:56 AM
  #26
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i think repik is gonna carry it. the next poll will be interesting to see if howden can beat mcfarland. im guessing mcfarland does as he seems to have more of an upside
At this point though, I think Howden is more likely to reach his potential than McFarland.

I'm voting for Repik, but Howden could very well be ranked here also. Add Cheverie to the next poll.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:58 AM
  #27
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
It is quite inconsiderate to simply dismiss other's subjective view and also an indication of ignorance that you cannot entertain alternative notions.
Thank you. I disagree with McFarland being ranked this high by so many people, but I provided reasoning for my opinion, and I'm not going to shake my head at anyone for actually voting however they vote.

Okay, maybe a little bit. But that's just because I've been here way too long and I'm always right.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:09 AM
  #28
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
for people taking mcfarland over howden:
howden was taken in the first round, mcfarland slipped to the second and that for a reason. so if 30 teams rather spend their 1st round pick on someone else who we might not know as much about over mcfarland (who was considered a 1st rounder), id say they must have a pretty good reason. he is more of a wild card than howden, and I believe howden will be able to play with us if not this year, then the next season he will be with us.

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
  #29
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Okay, maybe a little bit. But that's just because I've been here way too long and I'm always right.
Yeah...I mean, who else could have predicted that Anthony Stewart would now be anchoring our second scoring line

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:10 AM
  #30
dbhislife
Registered User
 
dbhislife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Repik....add Cheverie

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
  #31
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
for people taking mcfarland over howden:
howden was taken in the first round, mcfarland slipped to the second and that for a reason. so if 30 teams rather spend their 1st round pick on someone else who we might not know as much about over mcfarland (who was considered a 1st rounder), id say they must have a pretty good reason. he is more of a wild card than howden, and I believe howden will be able to play with us if not this year, then the next season he will be with us.
Yes but lotsa guys slip every yr to the 2nd round for various reasons. Heck, Markstrom slipped to the 2nd round and you cant tell me that the teams in the 1st round that didnt pick him are kicking themselves now. If you use that logic, Chet Pickard should be ranked higher than Markstrom and I think the entire world would disagree with that.

One thing that people aren't thinking about is that this draft really was broken up into 3 tiers at the top of it, (#1-2, #3-15, #15-45), as confirmed by our own head of scouting Scott Luce. So guys in the late 1st round to mid 2nd round are all pretty much considered equivalent for the most part and shouldnt really take what number they were selected as proof of where they should be ranked.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
  #32
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
People voting for McFarland
Some day you will get it McFarland has elite talent, Repik doesn't. McFarland is bigger and has a higher ceiling, but ofc he can bust too. But Repik haven't done anything to be considerd as a top prospect. Couldn't even get a spot on a weak Panther team. He has talent, no doubt, but not as talented as McFarland.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
  #33
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes but lotsa guys slip every yr to the 2nd round for various reasons. Heck, Markstrom slipped to the 2nd round and you cant tell me that the teams in the 1st round that didnt pick him are kicking themselves now. If you use that logic, Chet Pickard should be ranked higher than Markstrom and I think the entire world would disagree with that.

One thing that people aren't thinking about is that this draft really was broken up into 3 tiers at the top of it, (#1-2, #3-15, #15-45), as confirmed by our own head of scouting Scott Luce. So guys in the late 1st round to mid 2nd round are all pretty much considered equivalent for the most part and shouldnt really take what number they were selected as proof of where they should be ranked.
Bingo!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
  #34
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
It is quite inconsiderate to simply dismiss other's subjective view and also an indication of ignorance that you cannot entertain alternative notions.
Okay, maybe it was a bit cheap, but I don't see one single reason for Repik being abow McFarland and Howden, I might also toss in Petrovic and Ellerby too.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:43 AM
  #35
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Yeah...I mean, who else could have predicted that Anthony Stewart would now be anchoring our second scoring line
Yeah, too bad you - along with the rest of the board - agreed with me as it was general consensus back then.

How's Shvidki and Kolnik working out these days?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
  #36
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Yeah, too bad you - along with the rest of the board - agreed with me as it was general consensus back then.

How's Shvidki and Kolnik working out these days?
How can you say Repik hasn't proven anything? He's shown he has a nose for the net in extremely limited icetime. He's played at the professional level and been close to a ppg player at the AHL level. There's a better chance than not that McFarland or Howden never put up the same production even at the AHL level relative to Repik. Of course they could exceed his production and become great NHL players too, but the transition to the pro game (juniors to the AHL/NHL) is where a lot of "can't miss" or solid prospects show their true potential. Many guys who are "big and talented" like McFarland or Howden can produce in Juniors, but it takes exceptional talent to put up points even at the AHL and especially the NHL level. Repik is a better prospect than both at this time IMO though that could change.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
  #37
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Bingo!
You do realize this can help undermine your argument because Repik was, by many, a projected first rounder that dropped into the second. Many mocks had him going from 24th overall all the way down into the 2nd round where he went to us.

After his couple seasons in juniors, he looked like a prospect who maybe had a higher ceiling than Frolik. Also, as a young 18 year old in his first pro exhibition games, he looked terrific and received praise from the coaching staff (I lost track of who was coaching then, Keenan or Martin, idk?). He couldn't stick with us this year because we have so many useless players on the 3rd and 4th lines (Campbell, Oreskovich, etc.) clogging spots for him to strive toward. Even Matthias hardly did anything to earn a promotion over Repik. I'm really glad Tallon has traded out a couple of DeBoer's boys though in Soupy and O since maybe guys who earn the spots will get them instead of those who have ties to DeBo.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
  #38
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
How can you say Repik hasn't proven anything? He's shown he has a nose for the net in extremely limited icetime. He's played at the professional level and been close to a ppg player at the AHL level. There's a better chance than not that McFarland or Howden never put up the same production even at the AHL level relative to Repik. Of course they could exceed his production and become great NHL players too, but the transition to the pro game (juniors to the AHL/NHL) is where a lot of "can't miss" or solid prospects show their true potential. Many guys who are "big and talented" like McFarland or Howden can produce in Juniors, but it takes exceptional talent to put up points even at the AHL and especially the NHL level. Repik is a better prospect than both at this time IMO though that could change.
I think you responded to the wrong post there champ.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
  #39
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes but lotsa guys slip every yr to the 2nd round for various reasons. Heck, Markstrom slipped to the 2nd round and you cant tell me that the teams in the 1st round that didnt pick him are kicking themselves now. If you use that logic, Chet Pickard should be ranked higher than Markstrom and I think the entire world would disagree with that.

One thing that people aren't thinking about is that this draft really was broken up into 3 tiers at the top of it, (#1-2, #3-15, #15-45), as confirmed by our own head of scouting Scott Luce. So guys in the late 1st round to mid 2nd round are all pretty much considered equivalent for the most part and shouldnt really take what number they were selected as proof of where they should be ranked.
when talking markstrom its not strange he slipped... can you give me the name of the last european goalie taken in the first round? teams dont want to gamble with their 1st rounders on those picks, because chance is they dont adapt to NA smaller rinks etc...

well if he is that good why didnt colorado pick him over hishon? etem? you might be right about him, but im just cautious. dont wanna get my hopes up until i see it

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
  #40
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I think you responded to the wrong post there champ.
lol i just quoted whatever the most recent one was since i think you agreed with me as far as thinking it was dumb with people voting for mcfarland at this point over repik or others.

my b

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
  #41
TimHortons
Gud Night
 
TimHortons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Repik



I think GR said it was Sept. 10th in one of his blogs. I'm not sure though.
I can't seem to find that post by GR. Can you find it and link it here?

Also, if you guys have time, here's a really good article by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette on the importance of prospect development camps.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10199/1073535-61.stm

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
  #42
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
You do realize this can help undermine your argument because Repik was, by many, a projected first rounder that dropped into the second. Many mocks had him going from 24th overall all the way down into the 2nd round where he went to us.

After his couple seasons in juniors, he looked like a prospect who maybe had a higher ceiling than Frolik. Also, as a young 18 year old in his first pro exhibition games, he looked terrific and received praise from the coaching staff (I lost track of who was coaching then, Keenan or Martin, idk?). He couldn't stick with us this year because we have so many useless players on the 3rd and 4th lines (Campbell, Oreskovich, etc.) clogging spots for him to strive toward. Even Matthias hardly did anything to earn a promotion over Repik. I'm really glad Tallon has traded out a couple of DeBoer's boys though in Soupy and O since maybe guys who earn the spots will get them instead of those who have ties to DeBo.
How does that hurt me argument? The same happend to McFarland too. And even by that argument I could use the pre-season ranking where McFarland was number 6, and not far behind Hall, Seguin and Kabanov in talent.
"The Insider's Take: The Sudbury Wolves' right-shot left winger can play a power physical game but also has the ability to put up huge offensive numbers and was one of only three players to get a first-place vote from the scouts in the TSN survey. The first pick in the OHL draft will get a long look for Canada's national junior team".

Soupy was a hardworking player that I really liked he should have stayed. And our 3rd and 4th line was such crap, and still Repik couldn't get a spot is not a good point to back up voting for Repik. Maybe his more of a top6, but still this is the freakin' Florida Panthers (we don't have a great top6 or good gritty 3rd/4th, or atleast we didn't).

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:10 PM
  #43
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
How can you say Repik hasn't proven anything? He's shown he has a nose for the net in extremely limited icetime. He's played at the professional level and been close to a ppg player at the AHL level. There's a better chance than not that McFarland or Howden never put up the same production even at the AHL level relative to Repik. Of course they could exceed his production and become great NHL players too, but the transition to the pro game (juniors to the AHL/NHL) is where a lot of "can't miss" or solid prospects show their true potential. Many guys who are "big and talented" like McFarland or Howden can produce in Juniors, but it takes exceptional talent to put up points even at the AHL and especially the NHL level. Repik is a better prospect than both at this time IMO though that could change.
Well, ofc that can happen. But Taffe is a PPG player in the AHL, but he is not an NHL at all. Just because Repik put up good numbers in the AHL, doesn't mean he is good enough for the NHL or has that great talent.

Howden is a safe pick, he will be an NHL player. His game is well suited to the pro-game.

McFarland could absolutely bust, but simply because of his talent level I would rank him abow Repik. He was up there with the best offensive players in this draft in talent, I would say he still has top15 talent in the 2010 Draft. But there sounds to be alot of haters here. His interviews were great, sounded motivated and very ready for the challenge. He even sounded mature for his age. He will be a great pick, but the bust factor will always be there, like with every other prospect!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
  #44
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
for people taking mcfarland over howden:
howden was taken in the first round, mcfarland slipped to the second and that for a reason. so if 30 teams rather spend their 1st round pick on someone else who we might not know as much about over mcfarland (who was considered a 1st rounder), id say they must have a pretty good reason. he is more of a wild card than howden, and I believe howden will be able to play with us if not this year, then the next season he will be with us.
no offense meant here but i believe that your logic is flawed (although it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong on something). really there were only 8 teams (one of them being the panthers) who preferred howden over mcfarland or chose to pass on mcfarland. the other 24 picks previous to howden preferred someone else over both howden and mcfarland. really the difference of 8 picks between the two isnt that telling. and in all honesty we dont know where mcfarland fell on our own board. he couldve been the very next person on our board. he was at the very least ranked as a 1st rounder as i remember hearing somewhere that the panthers had him in the 1st round.

i like the howden pick a lot as i really think purging this team of bad character, top to bottom is essential to a turn around. of all our picks mcfarland was the only one with even questions (which I believe were unfounded) about his character. but in terms of top end talent i think mcfarland clearly has the edge over howden so i think he deserves to be rated higher. but since theyre so likely to be the next two off of the board after repik i dont think it makes too big of a difference.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
  #45
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Here let me settle this debate:

People voting, period!











Yeah, seeing as you are from Hungary I can understand why you'd think voting isn't an integral part of the process ...

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
  #46
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Yeah, seeing as you are from Hungary I can understand why you'd think voting isn't an integral part of the process ...
Oooo...he got you there, Rich

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
  #47
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes but lotsa guys slip every yr to the 2nd round for various reasons. Heck, Markstrom slipped to the 2nd round and you cant tell me that the teams in the 1st round that didnt pick him are kicking themselves now. If you use that logic, Chet Pickard should be ranked higher than Markstrom and I think the entire world would disagree with that.

One thing that people aren't thinking about is that this draft really was broken up into 3 tiers at the top of it, (#1-2, #3-15, #15-45), as confirmed by our own head of scouting Scott Luce. So guys in the late 1st round to mid 2nd round are all pretty much considered equivalent for the most part and shouldnt really take what number they were selected as proof of where they should be ranked.
A month after their draft Pickard was ranked higher than Markstrom. Teams rank guys differently, but in this case, McFarland and Howden were drafted by the same team, so clearly the Panthers rank Howden ahead of McFarland at this point in time.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
  #48
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme
 
King Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
A month after their draft Pickard was ranked higher than Markstrom. Teams rank guys differently, but in this case, McFarland and Howden were drafted by the same team, so clearly the Panthers rank Howden ahead of McFarland at this point in time.
i guess thats true, but by how much we dont know. and its entirely possible that they liked howden more because of subjective factors like interviews or perceived personality issues. now that theyre both in the organization, who knows how that has changed. and really they couldve both been ranked right next to each other with howden getting the nod because mcfarland seems more boom bust then howden does. any which way, i dont think its fair to say howden is clearly better than mcfarland.

finally, this aint the organizations rankings, it is ours, so tough luck to them if we rank them differently than they would.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
  #49
CanadianPantherFan
Registered User
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
for people taking mcfarland over howden:
howden was taken in the first round, mcfarland slipped to the second and that for a reason. so if 30 teams rather spend their 1st round pick on someone else who we might not know as much about over mcfarland (who was considered a 1st rounder), id say they must have a pretty good reason. he is more of a wild card than howden, and I believe howden will be able to play with us if not this year, then the next season he will be with us.
I can still vote for McFarland over Howden. It does not mean that one is head and shoulders above the other,razor thin close the next four names I'm voting on like I said in a prior post. So whatttttt ,Markstrom was drafted in the 2nd round and he is ranked #1 by all of us...if I was a GM. I would have spent a Top 20 pick or better on him at that time. I guess I know more than all those good ol' boys holding down jobs in the NHL

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
  #50
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
I can't seem to find that post by GR. Can you find it and link it here?
Sorry, I confused rookie camp with prospect camp again. I don't know if we will have a prospect camp, but I found this


-- The Panthers will hold their rookie camp at their training facility in Coral Springs in the week prior to training camp. The Panthers are scheduled to open camp on Sept. 10.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#ixzz0uAWJvNHs

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.