HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats Ribeiros Upside????

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
markov`

vCash: 500
The player that Ryder/Ribeiro need is Perezhogin. If he can't play next year, I'd bring Higgins.

Ryder/Ribeiro/Perezhogin. What a 2nd line. Ryder for his nose for the net, Ribeiro for the playmaking and Perezhogin for the speed and puck handling.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Hossa-Koivu-Kovalev
Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

More success..

Zednik the cry baby proove a lot of time that ''without'' Koivu ,he doesn't perform well & probably don't want to perform well.

I'm gonna be really happy the day we will have enough depth to get rid of them.

I dont like Zednik at all, he's too streaky & doesn't show enough effort when he's off the zone.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Didn't seem to hurt goal scorers like Andreychuk, Kerr, Sheppard and others to still score and have successful careers. He has a nose for the net, you can't teach that.

His speed is fine, its not his strong part but it isn't a liability either.
I know, but just imagine how good he could be if he could improve his acceleration. Ryder is still relatively young, and should still be aiming too improve in all areas. Just because hes not fast, doesnt mean he cant get faster at his age. Aim high!

Old
05-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
I don't think Ribs will get much better than he was this year but i think most here underestimate his play.
Even if he is'nt strong, he's effective defensively and offensively and it's what mathers most to me. I don't care if his hits don't hurts. And I don't care about his attitude he's a hockey players not the prime minister. He have a special talent that has been very usefull to us this year.

That said, the few that see him as the next big star will have a big deception but he's far from being the only overhyped guys in this organisation (see all the hype about Plekanec, Beauchemin and Perezhougin)
I never have and will expect Ribs to be a force physically. Hes just not that type of player like you say. What i expect is for him too improve his speed and/or strength, because the reality is, it wont be as wide open for him next season. Things will be tight as he will attract more attention with the success from this season, and there are only two ways to fight through tight areas.......

1. Speed

or

2. Strength.

If you lack both, well...its not good.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Zednik the cry baby proove a lot of time that ''without'' Koivu ,he doesn't perform well & probably don't want to perform well.

I dont like Zednik at all, he's too streaky & doesn't show enough effort when he's off the zone.
Maybe its chemistry or maybe its speed (Ribs slow, Koivu fast). Zednik has played a while with Saks, and so they probably know each other style of play. I personally like Zednik, yes he is a streaky player, but the man is very good when on his game. There are tons of teams out there that would be interested in his services!

Old
05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
tnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Like many others here, I would say he's pretty much reached his peak. Maybe he can have one big career super-season with 30 goals and 70 points if everything falls magically into place for him (e.g. Koivu injury, chance to play with star linemates), but otherwise 50ish points would seem to me to be his general niche. In today's game. But today's game may be evolving towards a bit more of an open style, which would bump his points up accordingly.
are you sure ? He reach his peak @ 24 yrs old ?

Old
05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan

I agree with you, I hope that Kats, Perez, Hossa, or Higgins grab his spot, so that we can trade him for something valuable, because Zednik is going to become a UFA in what, 2 years?, and he will command a big salaray, arg... i sure don't want to spend lots of monney on Zednik as a UFA...

Old
05-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Joe Cole

Ribs upside= Zholtok

Check the stats, and the height/weight- crafty centers with no physicality but good vision.

That said, he offered some of the most exciting Habs plays during the season. I was never a fan, but he was ONE of the elements that made the Habs interesting to watch this year. And trust me, I have never been confused with a Ribs supporter. But you gotta give the man his due.

That said.....

Would you build a team around two very small centers on your first two lines in the eastern conference?

Only a desperate man or a fool would. If you get hired as the GM and these are your players, you deal with it.

Old
05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
tinyzombies

I think he's still underrated. I was not a big fan, but he has surprised us with his skating and his tenacity on the boards. This is a creative player, the sky is the limit imo. I wouldn't be surprised if he improved his release around the net and it's certainly not beyond him to be among the league leaders in assists. Remember, his linemates were not exactly top notch, Ryder included. He was playing with a rookie and a guy who should be in the AHL and he still led the team in scoring.

His defense needs to improve, but he has already shown improvement in that area. And he was undisciplined with his ice time early in the season, but adjusted, which shows that he is coachable.

He needs some big guys on his wing though.

Creativity can not be discounted. The sky is the limit.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-26-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old
05-26-2004, 06:11 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I think he's still underrated. I was not a big fan, but he has surprised us with his skating and his tenacity on the boards. This is a creative player, the sky is the limit imo. I wouldn't be surprised if he improved his release around the net and it's certainly not beyond him to be among the league leaders in assists. Remember, his linemates were not exactly top notch, Ryder included. He was playing with a rookie and a guy who should be in the AHL and he still led the team in scoring.
He still had about every Montreal winger by his side at a time or another. Next year will be interesting, because last playoffs showed that if Ribeiro doesn't have time with the puck he has a tough time doing anything. If teams play the same way the Bruins and the Lightning have against him next year, he'll have a tough time. Hopefully though, regular season is usually more open and works better with his playstyle.

Last edited by SuperUnknown: 05-26-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old
05-26-2004, 08:46 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
He still had about every Montreal by his side at a time or another. Next year will be interesting, because last playoffs showed that if Ribeiro doesn't have time with the puck he has a tough time doing anything. If teams play the same way the Bruins and the Lightning have against him next year, he'll have a tough time. Hopefully though, regular season is usually more open and works better with his playstyle.
Doesn't help that Ryder missed about 50 scoring chances in the playoffs though.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Doesn't help that Ryder missed about 50 scoring chances in the playoffs though.
Then again, Ryder had to create most of his scoring chances by himself because of Ribeiro's inneffectiveness.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:38 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Then again, Ryder had to create most of his scoring chances by himself because of Ribeiro's inneffectiveness.
Not true. Ribeiro set him up countless times.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
I guess you weren't watching the same game as me!

I said it before and I'll say it agian...about the effort:

I don't care if a player gives 110% ...if he doesn't produce defensively or offensively then he is USELESS!

I said that about Petrov....and i'll say it again... it's good that your giving the effort but I would rather have a guy that doesn't give any effort but produces then a guy who works so hard yet their are no results.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:53 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Ribs upside= Zholtok

Check the stats, and the height/weight- crafty centers with no physicality but good vision.

That said, he offered some of the most exciting Habs plays during the season. I was never a fan, but he was ONE of the elements that made the Habs interesting to watch this year. And trust me, I have never been confused with a Ribs supporter. But you gotta give the man his due.

That said.....

Would you build a team around two very small centers on your first two lines in the eastern conference?

Only a desperate man or a fool would. If you get hired as the GM and these are your players, you deal with it.
What are you saying, Zholtok does not have a good ice vision, and I think that it is the reason why he didn't put up with the only good season he ever had. Very bad comparison.

Old
05-27-2004, 01:17 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Not true. Ribeiro set him up countless times.
Ribeiro might have set him up a few times, but the setups were a far cry from what they were during the regular season. If you get to watch the tapes of the games again, you'll notice that Ryder tries to create his own chances because Ribeiro is invisible in several games.

Btw, Ryder has produced this year with the 1st (koivu) and 3rd line (bulis + another), he's in no way a product of Ribeiro. The strenght of Ryder is that he's able to create his own chances, and he was doing so more and more as the series grew on.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:01 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Ribeiro might have set him up a few times, but the setups were a far cry from what they were during the regular season. If you get to watch the tapes of the games again, you'll notice that Ryder tries to create his own chances because Ribeiro is invisible in several games.

Btw, Ryder has produced this year with the 1st (koivu) and 3rd line (bulis + another), he's in no way a product of Ribeiro. The strenght of Ryder is that he's able to create his own chances, and he was doing so more and more as the series grew on.
I think a couple guys with decent size/toughness/speed/hands/shot would do well with Ribs perhaps. When he played with Kovalev, Ribs couldn't keep up, remember?

Maybe Hossa is that guy if he picks up his intensity? Dagenais is too slow with no agility and doesn't play hard. Ward is too slow and not strong enough on his skates.

In the UFA dept. Murray, Shanahan or Primeau would be awesome of course, but would end up on the top line with us. Simon might be a nice fit but he's a headcase. We need a younger Corson! How about Lindros or Gary Roberts??

A guy in the Modin, Fedotenko, O'Neill molds would be perfect.

Old
05-27-2004, 03:28 AM
CHareth

Quote:
I would rather have a guy that doesn't give any effort but produces then a guy who works so hard yet their are no results.
So you'd rather have a Perreault over a Ryder? That's funny stuff!

Old
05-27-2004, 03:48 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Ribs upside= Zholtok

That said.....

Good post, but upside = Zholtok? Ouch! For the Habs' sake, let's hope you're dead wrong.

Ribeiro impressed me in the regular season with his overall improvement in some of the fundamentals. But the playoffs separate the men from the boys, and Ribs showed everyone that he's still a boy. I'm not just talking about the infamous "Mommy, I have a pinched nerve" incident either. He won't be able to erase that scar very easily, but to his credit he responded in the best way he could - by scoring a couple goals. The problem is (and this is what I mean about him being a boy) that he was largely invisible but for that brief moment of redemption. Consistency and durability over the course of the playoffs is what he should be thinking about, IMO. As a number of posters have pointed out, he was pretty easily contained when it mattered most, and he lacked the ability to drive himself clear and help his line. If I were him, I'd be hitting the bike and doing squats and leg presses non-stop over the summer.

I also think Ribs should be rewarded for his efforts last year by putting somebody - anybody! - else on his wing instead of Dagenais.

Old
05-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
What are you saying, Zholtok does not have a good ice vision, and I think that it is the reason why he didn't put up with the only good season he ever had. Very bad comparison.
We'll agree to disagree. I did not mean to say that they are identical. But....

I guess that you are a Ribs fan.

Zhotock was an interesting player with the Habs, he scored many off balance, off angle goals. That takes creativity, as I believe Ribs has as well. Ribs may be a better passer, true.

That said, Zholtok has become a useful NHL'r who has really picked up his defensive play.

That said, I do not know if either would ever be considered a good 1 or 2 line center in the eastern conference.

Many people like the guy, and his creativity makes his atttractive, but compare him to the 2nd line centers in our conference.....

Old
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Mooch

Quote:
I guess you weren't watching the same game as me!

I said it before and I'll say it agian...about the effort:

I don't care if a player gives 110% ...if he doesn't produce defensively or offensively then he is USELESS!

I said that about Petrov....and i'll say it again... it's good that your giving the effort but I would rather have a guy that doesn't give any effort but produces then a guy who works so hard yet their are no results.
Hard work is what leads to success, or in this case good defensive coverage or offensive chances. For example, a guy who back checks hard, is usually i guy who is considered a good defensive player, because he gets back and covers up. This is a result of hard work. I want Ribs too work harder, look at Ryder, look where he has gotten with hard work.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Hard work is what leads to success, or in this case good defensive coverage or offensive chances. For example, a guy who back checks hard, is usually i guy who is considered a good defensive player, because he gets back and covers up. This is a result of hard work. I want Ribs too work harder, look at Ryder, look where he has gotten with hard work.

Ribeiro backs as much as Ryder and is EFFECTIVE defensivly , when you see the play well you don't need to run everywhere (except if your ambition is to impress internet fans ) . When he's on the ice we score much more goals than the other teams (even when he play with Dagenais), what do you want more? he won't ever be Primeau, accept it.

You know why Ryder was a 8th round pick even if he's a talented big boys? Because Ryder was one of the most lazy guys of the Q league. Being fancy does'nt make you lazy and skate a lot in games don't make you a hard worker. Ryder work hard now and it's why he's in the NHL, ditto for Ribs.

As good as Ribeiro is, he would'nt have lead the team in points and +- (fowards) without working. Being slow and small, he had to do more than others and he accepted to did it. Whit all he've done, I can't beleive I still read the same **** that 5 years ago just because you guys hate his face/attitude.

If he was'nt working, he would'nt even have the chance to play a game under Julien.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:01 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree. I did not mean to say that they are identical. But....

I guess that you are a Ribs fan.

Zhotock was an interesting player with the Habs, he scored many off balance, off angle goals. That takes creativity, as I believe Ribs has as well. Ribs may be a better passer, true.

That said, Zholtok has become a useful NHL'r who has really picked up his defensive play.

That said, I do not know if either would ever be considered a good 1 or 2 line center in the eastern conference.

Many people like the guy, and his creativity makes his atttractive, but compare him to the 2nd line centers in our conference.....
I get what you say about creativity, and I agree, but what I said is that Ribs' biggest asset is his ice vision, and there ends the comparison with Zholtok, because Sergei doesn't have a good ice vision. However, I'm not a Ribs fan and I wish we had a better 2nd line center than him, after we lost to the bolts I even wanted BG to waive the guy, I was not happy... I guess we have to deal with Mike until he improves his game or someone else steps up.

Also, we all talk about Mike's potential as only offencive, I disagree: to reach his full potential he's going to have to bulk up, improve his speed, and most of all improve his DEFENCIVE PLAY.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Marchy79

IMO Ribeiro has shown me some great character this year, I hated him going in to the season, but he won me over as the season rolled on... He has started to show a complete game 2/3 of the way through the season (he was back checking very well and carried the puck through the neutral zone better than I ever saw him do it before)...
He's finally showing real wanting to get better... To improve to a level to be the best he can be... Will he ever be an elite second line center? Right now, he looks to me like he can and will be. One extra gear would do wonders for him

Old
05-27-2004, 03:44 PM
tritone

Upside ? He's cheap for the points he puts up

Closed Thread