HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kovalchuk Signs with the Devils

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Cook24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
We better not get Hartnell....I will kick babies if this happens.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Boucher had a sizeable offer on the table from the Kings, he just went for more money with Dallas after his one good year.
Boucher was offered less money for less term by the Kings. One of DT's biggest mistakes.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Don't we say that every year? We have room for a free agent...we can make a move at the deadline...

We'll make a minor move....like we always do.
Tell me the last time we had a team with this much talent. The only thing in recent history that comes close is when we had the LAPD line, and those guys were all glass.

We lose 51 points from Frolov and that's about it. Pretty much everyone else on the team gets better, and the few veterans we do have aren't at the point where they're turning to dust yet. If we bring in one player who can make up for Frolov's production (and come to the rink every night) and a decent defenseman for the middle pairing, I don't see how we're worse off than last year, especially considering Anaheim and Dallas are both looking like they'll be worse off than they were this past season.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
In the poll I said that we wouldn't end up getting Kovy but i also said that I couldn't see him staying in NJ so there ya go. Not signing him has allot of trickle down ramifications for us and it isn't a good thing to be so deeply involved in negotiations with a major ufa and lose him to another team when it happens to you "all the time" but I absolutely disagree with those of us who say the following:

1, that we now will officially suck and regress.
While I think that getting Gagme is an awful idea especially when you couple it with his over $5m cap hit for this coming year and the fact he is seriously injury prone. Also if we are to trade for him he will cost us an asset (or more). Add in the fact that unless JW is part of the deal to get him that we will have three of our top six being over payed, under played (due to injury) and getting on in age.

Still, our cupboard is full of great young prospects and we are more than just a good team, we are a budding great young team, IK may have sped up the process to our achieving greatness but it is the rest of the pieces that were already in place that made it possible. We still have them and while I can't see a solution I will wait until I see what DL does now before I become overly critical of "HIM" and our ownership. In the end it will have nothing to do with how good i feel about our young and talented deep team.

2, Those of us who feel that they should stop their plans of buying season tickets or supporting the team. I mean not buying season tickets sends a strong message and its your money so whatever decision anyone of us would make as an individual is the correct one and beyond reproach all that I am saying is that it should warrant careful consideration before such a decision is made.

Canceling plans to buy tickets can also send the message to our team that we have given up on them and then it could become a self fulfilling prophecy. Maybe it comes with being built up and then just beaten down by the team for so long or maybe its just the way things go but I would only encourage people to wait and see what the solutions are before they make any rash decisions.

Finally imo, it isn't that we didn't end up signing IK that bothers me, its that yet another year under DL we have been told that we are in the running for a player and that we will almost certainly get him only to have things end up the exact same way all over again.

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me twice shame on me.

Fool me over and over and over again and eventually I will learn and give up on anything that you promise or suggest as even a remote possibility ever happening.

My concern is that the DL pattern has not only been established, it has seemingly been written in stone and while it may or may not be the pattern to follow, I hate that I was caught with my pants down looking for something better.

A handful of hope is better than nothing, right
?
Nailed it.

How long has this been going on?

Sure DL made a push, apparently in an amount that just wasnt juicy enough to get the guy he wanted, really wanted. But when will DL learn his own lesson: If you want players to come to LA, you will have to overpay them as Free agents. Ok to overpay Scuds (who I love), ok to overpay Zues, (who has grown on me), but not ok to get that sniper we need.

I'll wait to I hear more excuses from the man himself, but thinking you can get Kovy on a cheap cap hit is just NOT SMART!

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
lol is that so wally...
Did you not hear Timmy say that he and phil had given Dean the green light to spend as much as he wants on whoever he wants? At the pre-draft brunch i believe.

Old
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Another idea I don't understand. Hartnell is a good player.

Old
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
We play the Devils at home Oct. 30th. I know where I'll be...
First thing I thought of when I heard the news...when do we play NJ and is it at home?

Boo birds will be out that night.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
3 years from now....wow...hope I'm still alive...
With the right diet and exercise, I am sure you will make it. Now you have something to live for...

Old
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Tell me the last time we had a team with this much talent. The only thing in recent history that comes close is when we had the LAPD line, and those guys were all glass.

We lose 51 points from Frolov and that's about it. Pretty much everyone else on the team gets better, and the few veterans we do have aren't at the point where they're turning to dust yet. If we bring in one player who can make up for Frolov's production (and come to the rink every night) and a decent defenseman for the middle pairing, I don't see how we're worse off than last year, especially considering Anaheim and Dallas are both looking like they'll be worse off than they were this past season.
Not to mention SJ in NET might be a Cluster, And their back end is not to great either. As a matter of fact the whole Western Conference looks a little weak.

Old
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Boucher was offered less money for less term by the Kings. One of DT's biggest mistakes.
I know that, it was I think a year less and a couple million less. But it was a ton for what he had done so far in his career.

Old
kingchuckb

Maybe it's just cuz I'm bitter that he didn't sign with the Kings, but I don't see how a 17 year deal should even be allowed by the league. 15 years was stretching it already... there is no way he plays till he is 44- Isn't the league supposed to stop deals like this? I know there was the Hossa deal, but that was only until he is 42 I believe, which would have been like the 15 year deal. Also, I don't see how signing with the devils gives him a better chance of winning, I can't see them winning a cup this year, and I think this year would be their best shot, with their aging core. He also doesn't fit in with their team strategy and isn't a best fit there as showcased in the playoffs. Also- wouldn't this money they spend have been better on defense? But I guess Lou has a plan in place to improve his team. Until I hear the cap hit I can't really judge, but if it was under 7, I don't see why Dean wouldn't match this deal....So tired of reading a top FA has signed with another team, and then Lombardi telling us about how we need to be patient and sign the right player. While I think the Kings will be a better team that last year with the improvement of our own guys, and I'm sure he will make some more moves, but I don't think any of them would have been as good as signing Kovalchuck. And with the improving west, I don't know if we will be able to keep up and we aren't bad enough to tank, so I think we will end up somewhere between 6-10 unless some of our players come out amazingly or Dean makes an amazing move. Oh well- Go Kings- still excited for the coming season, though slightly disappointed as I had been hoping to see Kovalchuck in a Kings uniform this season.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind Quick and Williams for Hartnell and Gagne. though it would be extremely risky.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Since Dean is predictable, we all know what team he will be trading with.
Who you do think we are going to trade for?

Old
07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
I actually wouldn't mind Quick and Williams for Hartnell and Gagne. though it would be extremely risky.
I would hope that if we do that move, we wait til after a few regular season games (or at least training camp) to see if Bernier is ready. I don't want another Jamie Storr situation.

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Not to mention SJ in NET might be a Cluster, And their back end is not to great either. As a matter of fact the whole Western Conference looks a little weak.
Except Vancouver.

Old
KingsCourt

**** you kovy! devils welcome to cap hell!

Old
johnjm22

Quote:
Cammalleri was not a RFA when we traded him, he still had a year left on his contract.
Yes. That's completely obvious.

Quote:
Cammalleri filed for arbitration (not the team, btw) in the Summer of 2007
It is the player that files for arbitration. Yes. But when you don't get a reasonable offer, as a player, you're kind of forced to file arbitration.

Quote:
and lost when asking for $6 million a year.
It's called negotiating. The player starts high, the GM starts low, and you meet somewhere in the middle. DL was not willing to negotiate. Cammalleri isn't stupid. He didn't expect to get 6m. It was just a negotiating tactic.

When Cammy was an RFA in 2007, coming off an 80 point season. That was DL's chance to offer him a longer term deal at something like 4.5m. If he would have done so, and Cammy turned it down, I would not fault DL. The problem is, that DL didn't make a reasonable attempt to lock him up long term.

If DL didn't see Cammy as part of the plan/core/whatever, then he should have traded him when he was an RFA right after his 80 point season when his value was high.

Either way, Cammalleri, as an asset, was completely mismanaged by Dean Lombardi.

Old
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Or staying the east was more important to Kovalchuk.
It could be that, the length of contract, the fact that he has already made the adjustment to NJ, or perhaps having a fellow Russian/friend on the team. NJ is a good team, they have a history with the stanley cup and playoffs, and a proven goalie, and La is on the verge of greatness i hope!!, so i could see him chosing either team in respect to potential to win.

Old
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2010 View Post
And now they're dismantling that winning team.

Is that what you want as a Kings fan, again? (think 1994).
Yeah, I'll take the Cup. I've been to Chicago 3 times. The first 2 times was before they won the Cup. You did not see any Blakchawk jerseys walking around, the team store was completely empty when I found it walking by. I went a few weeks ago and the frenzy of winning was still alive in the city. We were at a bar when the Lakers won the championship and as soon as the game was over they played Chelsea Dagger and everybody in the bar was singing and pumping thier fists in the air. It's about winning, if you don't believe then I have to question if you have won anything of meaning in team sports in your life. It's a confirmation that all the work you have put into your hobby, all the money you've poured into it, all the injuries-it all meant something. That's why you saw the NHL players either crying or speecehless-sometimes both-in that great NHL commercial during the playoffs. King fans love to write off the Hawks but I still see a top 6 of Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews, Kopecky and Bolland and I'm sure they have some prospects who could flourish if given the opportunity to play with their elite forwards. On defense they still have Keith, Seabrook, Campbell and Hlamarson, a pretty nice top 4. I don't like their goalies but I didn't liek their goalies last season either and they raised the Cup. Chicago is not only a better team than LA but they are the defending champions, something that will probably never be said about the LA Kings and their star player Cap Space. The LA Kings lost a lot of money today, having Cap Space in the fold for years to come is nice on paper but when money isn't coming in then you don't have money to spend. The Hawks will be sold out all next season, can't say the same about Staples.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Except Vancouver.
Yes they look ok, But I just don't see them making to the Cup. They just lack something I can't put my finger on. I think Lou has a curse on him.

Old
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Yea, why would we want the guy who scored a bunch of key playoff goals when we could of had the 1 dimensional Russian....

Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
I would hope that if we do that move, we wait til after a few regular season games (or at least training camp) to see if Bernier is ready. I don't want another Jamie Storr situation.
That's the major risk.

Old
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I actually like Scott Hartnell. We need more guys that wont take any s***. Gagne is good. Just REALLY wanted Kovalchuk, but the Kings don't no any other way to do things other than Plan B.

Old
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Cammalleri was not a RFA when we traded him, he still had a year left on his contract. Cammalleri filed for arbitration (not the team, btw) in the Summer of 2007 and lost when asking for $6 million a year. When the time came that Cammalleri was in the last year of his contract (Summer 2008) and could negotiate, you have to think that he demanded the same $6 million per year that he did at his arbitration. I don't have quotes to source for that or anything, but look at what happened: Lombardi traded him to Calgary, he likely went there and told them he wanted $6 million a year as well, and he ends up signing with Montreal for $6 million a year as a free agent.

If Kopitar is making $6.8 million a year to play offense and defense, there's no way Cammalleri deserves $6 million a year to just play one way.
Remind me again who took his team to the ECF and was the leading SCORER in the playoffs this year. Anze Kopitar, right?

Old
07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

I do expect a press release or conference from DL explaining the process and his decision regarding IK. He absolutely owes the fans that much, even if it is all spinny b.s.

DL has done this enough for me and we all do know what happens next based on his entire history as a GM. Make a bunch of noise about going after abn elite talent ufa, low ball (right or wrong) offer and then make a deal for an over paid injury plagued fading name player.

Done deal, the only real question is who.

Closed Thread