HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The NJ - Kovy fall-out

Old
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
For Avs I would do:

Rolston+2011 1st

for

Yip

And Avs are one of the few teams that both have cap space and internal salary room to take that contract on. Isles is another.

Perhaps Lou will explore getting rid of Salvador+something else instead. I suspect he will have to pay less to do so than to get rid of the monstrosity that is Rolstons contract. The advantage of getting rid of Rolstons contract is that it gives slightly more room to resign Parise next year without having to start moving some contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Done. I like Yip.
Shades of Lou's:

Malakhov & a First for Fahey and rights to Korolyuk.

The big difference (the $10M difference) is that in the Malakhov case the Sharks were picking up his cap hit, but not paying any actual dollars (since he was unofficially retired & suspended w/o pay) - while in this case a team would be unconditionally on the hook for both Rolston's cap hit and salary for the next two years.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodhudon View Post
I don't understand the lack of READING people do. Read the ENTIRE post before replying - its just foolishness not to.

I have done the calculations and even go so far as to EXPLAIN the cap space issue for the Leafs and how ya, they would ab a little handcuffed this year, BUT get $6m in relief next year when Giguere's deal is off the books.

As for Elias being a head of Zubrus, sure, but wrong wing! And if Arnott was brought in to get Elias going... why did they sign Kovalchuk?

NJ has $3.748m in cap space BEFORE the signing of Kovy, a 3rd line center and a 4th line center.

Kovy will likely be about a 7-8m cap hit, meaning that Rolston being moved will NOT be enough, anmd although the D is solid, removing any one of those players will result in a HUGE hole on D.

I gues they could try and squeek under the cap by keeping Elias over Zubrus, but why when you can have flexibility by moving the older, more expensive guy who would be playing his wrong wing anyways!
...and for the Islanders' part, they won't need help getting to the floor...any suggested deals shouldn't make reaching the salary floor a consideration...

per Botta: The Islanders will easily reach the salary cap floor, even if they donít sign another second or third-shelf unrestricted free agent between now and the start of the 2010-11 season.http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
You need to make the cap floor somehow. Rolston is hardly the worst you could do to get there.
But he's also a long way away from "the best way."

Trading for / submitting an offer sheet for the Dallas winger James Neal, for example, would be a much better way to spend $5m a season.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius13 View Post
Brodeur is finished = no stanley cup = Lou failing
As evidenced by his picking up the Jennings Trophy and once again being a finalist for the Vezina this June.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
this is not even close to practical. arnott was brought in to get elias going again. they will try to move rolston but if they cant' he will prob get demoted and paid like mogilny
Can't demote Rolston - 35+

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
birddog*

Quote:
I don't understand the lack of READING people do. Read the ENTIRE post before replying - its just foolishness not to.

I have done the calculations and even go so far as to EXPLAIN the cap space issue for the Leafs and how ya, they would ab a little handcuffed this year, BUT get $6m in relief next year when Giguere's deal is off the books.

As for Elias being a head of Zubrus, sure, but wrong wing! And if Arnott was brought in to get Elias going... why did they sign Kovalchuk?

NJ has $3.748m in cap space BEFORE the signing of Kovy, a 3rd line center and a 4th line center.

Kovy will likely be about a 7-8m cap hit, meaning that Rolston being moved will NOT be enough, anmd although the D is solid, removing any one of those players will result in a HUGE hole on D.

I gues they could try and squeek under the cap by keeping Elias over Zubrus, but why when you can have flexibility by moving the older, more expensive guy who would be playing his wrong wing anyways!
We read it and unfortunately, I mean I hate to break it to you, it's one of the worst proposals ever. It's that bad and NO(!) Toronto doesn't want either of those players - even for free.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
We read it and unfortunately, I mean I hate to break it to you, it's one of the worst proposals ever. It's that bad and NO(!) Toronto doesn't want either of those players - even for free.
You wouldn't take Elias for free? He's not being offered, but you must be joking.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Toronto doesnt want Patrik Elias for free? are you high?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Can't demote Rolston - 35+
They can't send him to the AHL.

However, they can put him on LTIR. He would still count against the cap, but the Devils would then be able to use the LTIR exemption to exceed the cap for replacement.

The League will scrutinize any attempt to to this and can have him examined by independent phyicians to determine whether he is fit to play and if any injury is hockey related.

This is what the Devils did with Mogilny. The independent physician upheld the determination of the Devils' Club Physician.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Grabovski - 2.9
Caputti - .833

For

Elias - 6m
Rolston - 5m
So why does Tor do this again?

#1 Rolston is signed to a 35+ contract with a cap hit of just over 5mil/yr for 2 years. 35+ = can't be buried so thats a huge negative but acceptable if he was scoring 30 goals/yr... problem is he scores about 1/2 that total. At 37 after back to back off season, its unlikely he will rebound. Contract + performance = huge huge negative value... forget the fact he has a NTC.

#2 Elias makes 6m/yr for age 34-37... thats quite a bit of money but acceptable if you consider his skill set. Only problem is he might be worth his paycheck now but odds are he will start slowing down before the end of the contract and become a negative value. So realistically his contract is only acceptable and a positive value to those that are going for the cup now with cap space (i.e. probably only LA since they lost out on Kovy). All in all, not a whole lot of value and not someone Tor would pay for.

You package to 2 together @ 11mil and virtually no team would take that back. Heck gagne, who has a much better contract (due to term) and skill set not far from Elias only got back a tough dman + a 4th. Realistically, no way Elias should get back a bigger return than Gagne due to terms of contract/stage of career/etc. Add Rolston in and its the biggest negative package out there... you'll need to take an equally bad contract back before a team considers it. That or try to dump Rolston to a team that he will waive his NTC and add a ton of prospects/picks for that team to take him in.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Simply dish away our first along with Rolston for FC, our shelves are fairly stocked in terms of prospects One draft without a 1st and 2nd won't hurt a whole lot, especially how aggressively we seem to be with European diamonds in the rough.

Second, trade Salvador for a 4th/5th round pick. He is still a good #4 in the league and his salary isn't far off market.

That leaves us with 3.5 million in cap space for the season.

Jason MacIsaac is online now   Reply With Quote