HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What now?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
  #326
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,703
vCash: 500
Lol @ the Semin talk. I've already seen somebody post this here but Kovalchuk is a better version of Semin and they wouldn't give Kovalchuk a CAP hit of $6m and you think that DL is going to 1) trade for him and then 2) re-sign him to a deal with a CAP hit less than he is making now. Also, I challenge anyone who is a fan of this very unlikely premise to watch Semin in Game 7 of their first round series against Montreal and you'll know that DL probably has zero interest.

Buddy The Elf is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
  #327
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead666 View Post
Rumors that Caps do not like his lack of consistent effort and the fact that he is going to be a UFA and want a boatload of money at the end of this season. Caps may also want to change make up of their team if they fail again in the playoffs.
Ovy and Backstrom are not going anywhere.
Rumors from whom? Any source remotely legit?

Zad is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
  #328
butthead666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Rumors from whom? Any source remotely legit?
Just seen I've stuff on their boards. I've seen him play enough to know that sometimes you do not even know that he is out there.

butthead666 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
  #329
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,211
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Rumors from whom? Any source remotely legit?
It is sort of a fanbase thing. Most of their fans are telling people he is available, but there is obviously no public word from the actual team. It is like us and Stoll.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:48 PM
  #330
butthead666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Lol @ the Semin talk. I've already seen somebody post this here but Kovalchuk is a better version of Semin and they wouldn't give Kovalchuk a CAP hit of $6m and you think that DL is going to 1) trade for him and then 2) re-sign him to a deal with a CAP hit less than he is making now. Also, I challenge anyone who is a fan of this very unlikely premise to watch Semin in Game 7 of their first round series against Montreal and you'll know that DL probably has zero interest.
Yeah, that was me. Semin was actually AWOL for most of Montreal series.

butthead666 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
  #331
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Rumors from whom? Any source remotely legit?
about as legit as Kovy wanting to play in LA

Brodie562 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
  #332
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
about as legit as Kovy wanting to play in LA
Touche

ScoreZeGoals is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
  #333
butthead666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It is sort of a fanbase thing. Most of their fans are telling people he is available, but there is obviously no public word from the actual team. It is like us and Stoll.
Precisely. Semin is Caps version of Frolov. Fanbase is probably split pretty much down the middle on him. Some love him, some hate him. I actually think that Frolov is a better hockey player than Semin. Semin is more of a scorer without a doubt.

butthead666 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:52 PM
  #334
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead666 View Post
Just seen I've stuff on their boards. I've seen him play enough to know that sometimes you do not even know that he is out there.
Oh. Ok...well, $70 million over 70 years. Done. Lou has nothing on me. I should be running the Kings...the NHL..the ****ing world.

Zad is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
  #335
butthead666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Oh. Ok...well, $70 million over 70 years. Done. Lou has nothing on me. I should be running the Kings...the NHL..the ****ing world.
But what about the salary cap?

butthead666 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
  #336
Omni Owl
Registered User
 
Omni Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Oh. Ok...well, $70 million over 70 years. Done. Lou has nothing on me. I should be running the Kings...the NHL..the ****ing world.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug isn't it?

Omni Owl is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
  #337
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
(in reference to the kings not believing the 17/$100M rumor)

I guess at the end of the day. Dean should have pay more attention to the rumors on twitter! 'Cause they where right. Both the Devils 17 years/ $100M and the Kings 15 years/ $80M were correctly reported week/days ago.

I think Dean gave him a good offer. But the devils offered more, and Kovy took the bigger pay check. Who know what Kovy looks like in his mid and late 30's. He's only 27 but he's already got 9 years of NHL experience on him (include lock out year in russia). But the King took the same risk on that as well.

Another factor was likely AEG, and how much money they where willing to shell out for Kovy. Now AEG likely bases the amount of money they put into the Kings based upon the amount of money the Kings bring in. As any business would. The counter that of course is you gotta spend money to make money, and the AEG has to be willing to take the risk if they want the high awards from the Kings. And the counter to that is that city of Los Angeles needs to show more support in the sport of hockey and the Kings for AEG to want to invest so much money into the team.

Maybe that's the biggest problem is the Kings are owned by a cooperation that runs in sport teams like a cooperation. And the Kings plays in a city in which they play behind the NFL, Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, USC Football, and UCLA Basketball. Lets face it. LA isn't a hockey town.

EDIT: History has shown if a big name hockey player comes here and the Kings win. The interest spikes! (ie: Gretzky) Although Kovy is no Gretzky. The Kings would had to lad Crosby or Ovie to pull that kind of draw.


Last edited by CTKingsFan: 07-19-2010 at 10:08 PM.
CTKingsFan is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
  #338
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
(in reference to the kings not believing the 17/$100M rumor)

I guess at the end of the day. Dean should have pay more attention to the rumors on twitter! 'Cause they where right. Both the Devils 17 years/ $100M and the Kings 15 years/ $80M were correctly reported week/days ago.

I think Dean gave him a good offer. But the devils offered more, and Kovy took the bigger pay check. Who know what Kovy looks like in his mid and late 30's. He's only 27 but he's already got 9 years of NHL experience on him (include lock out year in russia). But the King took the same risk on that as well.

Another factor was likely AEG, and how much money they where willing to shell out for Kovy. Now AEG likely bases the amount of money they put into the Kings based upon the amount of money the Kings bring in. As any business would. The counter that of course is you gotta spend money to make money, and the AEG has to be willing to take the risk if they want the high awards from the Kings. And the counter to that is that city of Los Angeles needs to show more support in the sport of hockey and the Kings for AEG to want to invest so much money into the team.

Maybe that's the biggest problem is the Kings are owned by a cooperation that runs in sport teams like a cooperation. And the Kings plays in a city in which they play behind the NFL, Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, USC Football, and UCLA Basketball. Lets face it. LA isn't a hockey town.
And he did it in a city with which he was familiar and a team in conference where the travel is much easier.

kingpest19 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
  #339
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And he did it in a city with which he was familiar and a team in conference where the travel is much easier.
that too!

CTKingsFan is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
  #340
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Might get flamed for Penner but...here goes nothing:

*Trade Lewis and Teubert to Edmonton for Penner. Edmonton already has 2 LWers in Hall and Paajarvi-Svensson. Penner has a reasonable cap hit at 4.250 for only 2 more seasons. Fits the bill.
*Trade Moller and a 2nd rounder in 2010 for Kaberle.

2010-11 LOS ANGELES KINGS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
* Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Wayne Simmonds ($0.822m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Brad Richardson ($0.900m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.660m) / Richard Clune ($0.522m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Drew Doughty ($3.475m)
Jack Johnson ($1.425m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) Scuderi should greatly improve Jack-Minus-Johnsons' +/-.
Johan Fransson ($0.690m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($0.843m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $59.161m; CAP ROOM: $4.694m; BONUSES: $4.955m

Schenn and Handzus can switch off playing 3rd and 4th line Center. Zeus will get PP and PK time still so his ice time won't drop too much.

Cook24 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
  #341
butthead666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Cocaine is a hell of a drug isn't it?
Yeah it almost killed my ***!

butthead666 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
  #342
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And he did it in a city with which he was familiar and a team in conference where the travel is much easier.
LA matches that and he is a King today. You can not fault a man for taking $20M more to go to a team with a winning history over the last 15-20 years.

Dean has already mentioned that the numbers blew him away. What does that mean? Dean thought he was the smartest man in the room and the league and could get the premier UFA in the history of the league for relative peanuts.

He gambled and lost on what I feel is an important moment in franchise history.

BigKing is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
  #343
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
LA matches that and he is a King today. You can not fault a man for taking $20M more to go to a team with a winning history over the last 15-20 years.

Dean has already mentioned that the numbers blew him away. What does that mean? Dean thought he was the smartest man in the room and the league and could get the premier UFA in the history of the league for relative peanuts.

He gambled and lost on what I feel is an important moment in franchise history.
Possibly a defining moment. Players like Kovalchuk don't come around every season. How many like Doughty have we had in the entire history of the Kings? Like Crosby? Ovechkin? Hell, Hossa? Can you count them on one hand? 3 fingers?

THIS=EPIC=FAIL

Zad is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
  #344
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
LA matches that and he is a King today. You can not fault a man for taking $20M more to go to a team with a winning history over the last 15-20 years.

Dean has already mentioned that the numbers blew him away. What does that mean? Dean thought he was the smartest man in the room and the league and could get the premier UFA in the history of the league for relative peanuts.

He gambled and lost on what I feel is an important moment in franchise history.
If I was a GM I'd be blown away too. Thats a ridiculous contract, 80M over the next 8 years?

kingpest19 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
  #345
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And he did it in a city with which he was familiar and a team in conference where the travel is much easier.
Come on man, you think after freaking coming here, seeing the facilities, and after 18 days of talks, it came down to travel? I know $20 million different reasons he didn't sign here and it wasn't the ****ing cap either.

Zad is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
  #346
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
If I was a GM I'd be blown away too. Thats a ridiculous contract, 80M over the next 8 years?
Jesus, are you serious? If a team is serious about winning and has the money, the latter doesn't prevent the signing. You think the Pens are lamenting Crosby or Malkin's contract? Chicago Hossa's? We are talking superstars here. You want to argue Kovalchuk wasn't worth it, he isn't all that, there are better options out there, ok, let's talk about it but don't tell me a $6 million dollar cap hit and then his retirement at 38 that takes him off the books for good is "ridiculous"

Zad is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
  #347
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
If I was a GM I'd be blown away too. Thats a ridiculous contract, 80M over the next 8 years?
To me, this argument makes no sense. We were already willing to go 15 years, why not 2 more (like it matters) for only a cap hit increase of 666K? Go big or go home..........and here we sit

ScoreZeGoals is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
  #348
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
The Kings offer was fair (if too much).

The Devils went overboard.

Having said that, you also have to look at Kovy's value as a player. I think even the Kings offer may have been too much for a guy who can't even spell the word defense, much less play it.

You also have to consider his playoff record, which is truly underwhelming.

Yeah, yeah, I know, he wasn't pursued for his defense. But defense is a team game, and you absolutely have to have it to win playoff games. He would be a real defensive liability every time his line was in the game.

Can he turn his career around with the Devils? He will have to, since he will playing with them the rest of his life. If he is a bust, then the Devils risk will kill their franchise for the foreseeable future.

Ron is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
  #349
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
If I was a GM I'd be blown away too. Thats a ridiculous contract, 80M over the next 8 years?
Yeah. You know, the same $10M he was offered already and the same $10M he was seeking. The same $10M he is now getting. The guy has scored more goals than anyone since he entered the league. Should he sign for well below his market value just because Dean tells him he can play on a good team?

BUT THE CAP!!! IT MIGHT GO DOWN!!

They will bail out people if the cap goes down after a lockout or whatever. The same owners that greenlight these deals will be the ones in trouble when they choose to go for a lower cap. Like they are going to **** themselves over??

Dean is afraid of the bogeyman; problem is it isn't real. It's either that or there is some sort of internal cap in the amount of real dollars AEG will spend. As a paying customer for years now, I would just like to know the truth so I know who to direct my anger towards. Until I'm told otherwise, it's going towards the guy who manages this team.

BigKing is online now  
Old
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
  #350
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The Kings offer was fair (if too much).

The Devils went overboard.

Having said that, you also have to look at Kovy's value as a player. I think even the Kings offer may have been too much for a guy who can't even spell the word defense, much less play it.

You also have to consider his playoff record, which is truly underwhelming.

Yeah, yeah, I know, he wasn't pursued for his defense. But defense is a team game, and you absolutely have to have it to with playoff games. He would be a real defensive liability every time his line was in the game.

Can he turn his career around with the Devils? He will have to, since he will playing with them the rest of his life. If he is a bust, then the Devils risk will kill their franchise for the foreseeable future.
Turn his career around? Does he need to score 70 a season? Jesus Christ!!!!

BigKing is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.