HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Whose Left UFA Scrap Heap Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
merlin

vCash: 500
I see maybe 1 or 2 of the guys listed above getting an offer. Cap era is really going to hurt the 3rd/4th liners. Teams are going for really cheap veterants or rookies... I doubt any would play for 600K or less.

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'd wait for the next leftover round... if there were any guys just waiting on the Kovalchuk domino and resulting trickle-downs, let them all sign for their near-normal-UFA-pricetags. Then in a few weeks the TRUE bargains, the real desperate cases should be identifiable.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
llamateizer

i doubt that we will sign any one
those players have their spot with the team
1-Gomez
2-Cammalleri
3-Gionta
4-Plekanec
5-Kostitsyn
6-Moen
7-Pouliot
8-Lapierre
9-Darche
10-Pyatt

we have 3 spots left. maybe 1 more considering Markov LTIR

Pacioretty
Maxwell
Boyd
Eller
Trotter
White

so i dont see the habs signing a player like ponikarovski.
that mean a more player of the 6 might leave the team.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
i doubt that we will sign any one
those players have their spot with the team
1-Gomez
2-Cammalleri
3-Gionta
4-Plekanec
5-Kostitsyn
6-Moen
7-Pouliot
8-Lapierre
9-Darche
10-Pyatt

we have 3 spots left. maybe 1 more considering Markov LTIR

Pacioretty
Maxwell
Boyd
Eller
Trotter
White

so i dont see the habs signing a player like ponikarovski.
that mean a more player of the 6 might leave the team.
Well, look at this differently:

TOP SIX
1-Gomez
2-Cammalleri
3-Gionta
4-Plekanec

TOP 6 BUBBLE
5-Kostitsyn
6-Pouliot

BOTTOM SIX
7-Moen
8-Lapierre
9-Darche
10-Pyatt
11-Boyd
12-

RESERVES:
13-
14-

There are three open forward spots, assuming two reserves. I can see Eller taking one. After that we Pacioretty/White/Trotter/Maxwell for two reserve spots.

Signing a top six guy makes Kostitsyn/Pouliot/NewGuy fight for those two spots, rather than handing it to those two. And then fills a bottom six spot as a result. Signing a bottom six guy alone would at least ensure we don't have three prospects floating in and out of the line-up.

On defense we have seven guys under contract, but given Markov's injury, I cannot see how they don't sign at least one veteran with NHL experience to a two way deal (Welch or Syvret for example).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, look at this differently:

TOP SIX
1-Gomez
2-Cammalleri
3-Gionta
4-Plekanec

TOP 6 BUBBLE
5-Kostitsyn
6-Pouliot

BOTTOM SIX
7-Moen
8-Lapierre
9-Darche
10-Pyatt
11-Boyd
12-

RESERVES:
13-
14-

There are three open forward spots, assuming two reserves. I can see Eller taking one. After that we Pacioretty/White/Trotter/Maxwell for two reserve spots.

Signing a top six guy makes Kostitsyn/Pouliot/NewGuy fight for those two spots, rather than handing it to those two. And then fills a bottom six spot as a result. Signing a bottom six guy alone would at least ensure we don't have three prospects floating in and out of the line-up.

On defense we have seven guys under contract, but given Markov's injury, I cannot see how they don't sign at least one veteran with NHL experience to a two way deal (Welch or Syvret for example).
If we keep Hamrlik, I don't see the point in signing a veteran D. You got Hammer/P.K., Spacek/OB, Gill/Gorges and Carle/Weber as 7th D. But add a veteran D and PG is going to have to use waivers to make room when Markov returns.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
If we keep Hamrlik, I don't see the point in signing a veteran D. You got Hammer/P.K., Spacek/OB, Gill/Gorges and Carle/Weber as 7th D. But add a veteran D and PG is going to have to use waivers to make room when Markov returns.
Well my assumption is to have a good citizen with upside on a two way deal. IE Janik, Benoit, etc.

He comes to camp and provides insurance if Carle and/or Weber are not ready to make the leap.

If they both are, we do something like you said. If neither is, then we have insurance.

Old
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Not saying I'd want him....but just wanted to say that I always been a big fan of Bergenheim. There are players sometimes that you feel you like more than the actual stats shows....well Bergenheim will always be a favorite of mine. Type of guy you'd wish would show you more. Pretty dynamic, fluid skater, fun player to watch.

Another guy in the "He will be signed till he's 100 years old, 'cause he HAS to be better than that..." is Matt Pettinger. For some reasons, you feel there will always be a market for this guy. Yet moves on every year.

A guy I'd really take on my team is Asham. By far. He's my definition of what a bottom 6 player should be made of. I NEVER wanted to see him leave, so I'll be consequent and still say that I'd take him back right now.

Other minor names:

- Might as well be in "replace Glumac" mode for the Dogs and go after Chris Minard. How about Derek Armstrong? Pascal Pelletier?

- Francis Lessard: If it happens, I'll buy a season pass for the Dogs to see a lineup with Conboy, Bonneau, Schultz and Lessard. We might not win a lot...but damn it will be fun...

- If not Henry, losing Belle, we need some vet presence on D. Even if it means sending Nash with Cincy. So how about...

Mark Popovic? A 2-way, that will be really helpful to the Dogs. Or how about an ex-Dogs....Danny Groulx?

There are other candidates out there that could be used as fillers. but mostly for the Dogs.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Aurel Joliat

Jacques Martin traded for Tarnasky in Florida. I would like him !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
TheBuriedHab

No more ufa's for the habs. Rather have some homegrown talent start making the jump. Less expensive and younger.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
No more ufa's for the habs. Rather have some homegrown talent start making the jump. Less expensive and younger.
Actually it's probably not. A lot of guys on entry level deals will get more in the NHL than any of these low end UFAs would.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not saying I'd want him....but just wanted to say that I always been a big fan of Bergenheim. There are players sometimes that you feel you like more than the actual stats shows....well Bergenheim will always be a favorite of mine. Type of guy you'd wish would show you more. Pretty dynamic, fluid skater, fun player to watch.

Another guy in the "He will be signed till he's 100 years old, 'cause he HAS to be better than that..." is Matt Pettinger. For some reasons, you feel there will always be a market for this guy. Yet moves on every year.

A guy I'd really take on my team is Asham. By far. He's my definition of what a bottom 6 player should be made of. I NEVER wanted to see him leave, so I'll be consequent and still say that I'd take him back right now.

Other minor names:

- Might as well be in "replace Glumac" mode for the Dogs and go after Chris Minard. How about Derek Armstrong? Pascal Pelletier?

- Francis Lessard: If it happens, I'll buy a season pass for the Dogs to see a lineup with Conboy, Bonneau, Schultz and Lessard. We might not win a lot...but damn it will be fun...

- If not Henry, losing Belle, we need some vet presence on D. Even if it means sending Nash with Cincy. So how about...

Mark Popovic? A 2-way, that will be really helpful to the Dogs. Or how about an ex-Dogs....Danny Groulx?

There are other candidates out there that could be used as fillers. but mostly for the Dogs.

Francis Lessard: former teammate of mine. To this day I still have a souvenir from him on my face - a scar under my chin from a vicious elbow.....IN PRACTICE! The guy's a NUT......and I'd love to have him on the Habs!

Caution though: if you think Higgins and Co. loved the nightlife, wait till you see/hear about Lessard. The guy LIVES in bars.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Bury Hamrlik. Sign Mckee at 1 mill and Frolov at 4 mill. That's a much better team than we currently have.
Um, no. Taking away Hamrlik and adding McKee would make our defence much worse.

I'm not against making a move to try and land Frolov, but

Hamrlik >>>>>>>>>>> Mckee

there is a reason Mckee is still out there...and might remain that way for a long time.