HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
Wow. The AUS allows male players on female teams. That will certainly change the outlook for nationals.
Just to clarify: It's a combined story, detailing comings and goings with both STU programs.

Old
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
timbitca

I'm going to have to check on this but Morehouse might need to sit out next season too.

Old
01-07-2011, 09:10 PM
AUS Fan

He has to sit out a full year from his last game as a Pro. If he played in November 2010 he will have to wait till November 2011.

I could be mistaken here and if so, someone will remind me.

I also think he will have 2 1/2 years left having played one full year at SMU in 2008-09, one full year with Cincy 2009-10 and a partial year in the Coast and Central League.

Old
01-10-2011, 04:44 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
THE ROCKET SCIENCE OF RECRUITING:

"It's NOT"
1)Name a recruiter who can recruit.
2)Identify needed assets.
3)Sell and convince those identified of the great value of a STU liberal Arts degree.
4) Go get them.

This tried and true method was employed by me( Joe Nemo) to attract some of the best talent to ever play at STU.
To quote a famous Friends of STU~

"Recruits should be good enough to play in the ECHL but smart enough not to",Rick Aiken,Fredericton,N.B

Now what is it to be excited about? Morehouse didn't make it in the ECHL and was a "plug" at SMU?.......THIS IS THE NEW RECRUITING STRATEGY AT STU? no,just another overrated prospect of Eagles who will join a long list of not quite ready for prime time.........the man still doesen't get it!

Old
01-10-2011, 05:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I agree, I don't see this as that significant of an addition....he put up 13 points in 27 games in his one year at SMU...just another bottom 6 guy IMO.

Old
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I agree, I don't see this as that significant of an addition....he put up 13 points in 27 games in his one year at SMU...just another bottom 6 guy IMO.
THE STATE OF RECRUITING WITH MEN's HOCKEY!

NON EXISTANT WOULD SUM IT UP IN A WORD.
Eagle,s continues to ignore the recruiting requirements of the Men's hockey team instead releasing nothing but "spin stories" about landing a recruit who will not be able to suit up until after the 1st half of next seasons schedule is over.
Why is this incompetence being tolerated? It can only and is only getting worse.

Relieve this man of his duties QUICKLY!

Old
01-13-2011, 12:14 PM
freelancer

Rantfather: I completely understand and agree with your position and point of view, but it's time to face the music.

Nobody cares.

There aren't enough Tommies fans on these boards to raise a fervor and the only result is being unnecessarily chirped by squirrels and others who have no stake in STU hockey, but don't have the good sense to simply ignore the STU Tommies thread.

The fans don't care, considering the select few who still choose to attend the games. Those that once did have simply slinked away, tail between legs, refusing to put up a fight for the team they once supported. I count myself in that number, refusing to return until change is made.

The administration doesn't care. The lame duck president has other things on his plate, and whoever the rest of the powers that be are pretty content with things the way they are.

Sad to say, there's no longer any such thing as Tommie Pride.

If you want to organize a real, meaningful resistance, send me a PM. I hope for your own health that the keyboard warfare is cathartic for you, otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

Old
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

I have a question: How did STU ever decide to play CIS in hockey (and nothing else) in the first place?

Old
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I'll take a stab at this, even though I mainly focus on UNB history.

First off, STU is over 100 years old (started as St. Thomas High School & Junior College in 1910) and was located in Chatham, NB (2 hrs north of Fredericton). They became a University in 1934 and relocated to Fredericton in 1963/64.

The main reason is - they always have, starting in 1936 (from what I could find when researching UNB vs STU games). They played Hockey against all of the other schools in the 30s, 40s and 50s and have been a mainstay of the league (MUN, UCCB, Mt.A and King's have all left).

In 1964 they moved from Chatham to Fredericton - this was the same time that the CIAU started to formalize and coordinated the different conferences. STU continued to play against the other schools in Hockey (UNB and STU shared the LBR Arena until UNB's other rink opened in '76 and the LBR was given to the city - STU continues to play there).

There was a few years where they were not part of the CIAU, 1974/75 to 78/79.

I'm sure they played more than Hockey, they certainly do today, but I don't believe it was against the other top schools. STU is small, 2,600 students, 300 more than Mt.A. Now, Mt.A. has a few more AUS teams (no hockey minded you, it was dropped in the late 90s), but they have always played these sports going back to before STU was a University (so, they have more athletic history and a longer alumni heritage which helps).

Old
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
gleanerguy

I seem to recall that in the late 1980s, STU briefly considered the prospect of playing women's basketball at the CIS level, but abandoned the idea They have a very strong women's team at the ACAA level, unbeaten in their league and among the top 10 in the country, but would have to do more recruiting to compete at the CIS level if they were to make that step now.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I seem to recall that in the late 1980s, STU briefly considered the prospect of playing women's basketball at the CIS level, but abandoned the idea They have a very strong women's team at the ACAA level, unbeaten in their league and among the top 10 in the country, but would have to do more recruiting to compete at the CIS level if they were to make that step now.
I think the thinking back then was for gender equality (the CIS brought that in) and they figured with so many good basketballers in the Maritime region and with the numbers involving with putting together a good basketball program (costs factors, etc) , that would be the more prudent way to go.....not really sure why they backed off on that....but with the evolution of the women's hockey team and conference, the gender issue was no longer a problem, so the plan died out.....gleanerguy is right, they would have to recruit more but they do seem to have a pretty good program in place...they would need to find another facility as well....as for Drummer's post re:the men's Tommies, it seems to me that Vance Toner played a leading role in keeping the hockey program intact.....in the mid-70's, they lost something like 11-12 guys in one year and were decimated to the point where they felt they had to pull out and play in the jr. league...when they made the decision to bring on a full-time coach, that's when they opted back into the AUAA......up until the last little bit, they've been able to compete, but with the evolution of the conference to what it is now, basically a semi-pro league, it's getting more and more difficult to compete...hence, you see the tommies at the bottom of the heap....too bad because we all miss the buzz at the LBR especially when UNB and UdeM would come into the building....loved those days....

Old
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Rantfather: I completely understand and agree with your position and point of view, but it's time to face the music.

Nobody cares.
IMO the fact that no one cares, or seems to care, anymore might be the biggest problem facing STU, more so than all the losses or lack of big time recruits...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 01-14-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-15-2011, 03:58 AM
cookiecutter

winners!!!

I am heading off to work now, but I see that both hockey teams won last night!!

Old
01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
mikeandI

rantdad....how did your boys do this weekend?
i think you are actually motivating them!! keep up the good work! amazing to me the rut you are in! get a new pin cushion mister!

Old
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
STUTOMMIES

In addition to Chris Morehouse the rumor mill has it there is a defenceman on campus that will have to wait until next January to play. Wait and see I suppose.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
AUS Fan

I like your sub-title.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I like your sub-title.
Your's isn't bad either!

Old
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
AUS Fan

Given to me by Rantfather.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
timbitca

What's up with Mathieu Melanson?

Old
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
THE STATE OF RECRUITING WITH MEN's HOCKEY!

NON EXISTANT WOULD SUM IT UP IN A WORD.
Eagle,s continues to ignore the recruiting requirements of the Men's hockey team instead releasing nothing but "spin stories" about landing a recruit who will not be able to suit up until after the 1st half of next seasons schedule is over.
Why is this incompetence being tolerated? It can only and is only getting worse.

Relieve this man of his duties QUICKLY!
Give it to Rantfather, maybe Dale can assist.
Your negative talk does nothing to improve the situation!

Old
01-22-2011, 06:14 AM
STUTOMMIES

The Tigers had period leads of 5-1 and 8-3 but the Tommies out shot the Tigers 41-25. Lavigne was yanked after the Tigers 7th goal at 10:23 of the 2nd. Not often STU out shoots someone by this margin. Goes to prove that shots don't count.

Don't like to say it but this was the one that for sure, 100%, sealed STU's fate for this season.

Old
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
AUS Fan

If STu had played in the 1st and 2nd the way they played in the 3rd, it may have been a different result. In the 3rd they played more physical and got pucks to the net and overall out-worked Dal. I know that Dal had a 5 goal lead and they did sit back and do nothing, but STU still did show hard work in the 3rd. Even in the first two periods they had some good scoring chances but lacked the finish.
I've probably said this before but STU is a hard working team that does not have much skill. I think in the LBR they can grind out a close game but on a bigger ice surface they will get out-skilled.
Of note, a couple of times I heard guys on the STU bench yelling to each other not "to get embarrassed" in the game. Nice to see some kind of leadership and competitiveness from the team.

I do agree with STUTOMMIES that the end is nigh. Too many points out, too little games remaining.

Old
01-22-2011, 02:37 PM
gleanerguy

Yep. That would about do it. Their season went off the rails early. The key was to take advantage of a relatively easy schedule in the beginning of the season, but when Lavigne went out with the early suspension, they got behind the 8-ball.
There are games on the schedule that even STU playing at their best would not win -- UNB, Saint Mary's -- but with good goaltending, hard work and some breaks, they can compete or beat anybody else.
When Lavigne has a bad night or loses his composure, things go south in a hurry. Glad to hear there was some spirit on the bench despite the circumstances against Dal...that's a relatively good sign. I've been disappointed in Dulle as well...leading scorer last year, he should be better. I wonder how much his heart has been in it since his little sit down strike to start the season...see he was minus 5 against Dal.
Not all his fault certainly, but a large disappointment. I'll be surprised if he's back next year, and if he goes, will Reich be far behind?
They also had some significant injuries to an already thin defence when Main and Morin were out for an extended period in the first half. It's too bad. Had they managed to stay close, they have a good finishing kick at home -- they don't leave Fredericton after this weekend (although two of their games are against UNB).
However, now, it's going to be tough...

Old
01-26-2011, 04:45 AM
cookiecutter

ho ho ho up they go!

Perhaps it will be a symbolic move to their new rink; A move from the bottom of the hill and from the bottom of the standings? Or, perhaps, it will be paupers in a palace? STU has dropped a million plus into the new rink, how can they not be serious about fielding a team? A new coach might also be on that hill waiting? Here is the deal for recruiting; Hi we are a basement team with no fan support, but our coaches have suites with room service and look at the beautiful stationary bikes! We get lots of press in the local paper, usually under the headline of "STU loses again" and finally....no one really cares!!!

Old
01-26-2011, 04:50 AM
cookiecutter

More recruiting goodies.

and don't forget, we have a golf course near by, however, it is usually cold in January when our season has ended. oh yes and free beer for the bus ride home to celebrate.......sorry...the beer is free in defeat also. Two free ones for a win and one free one for a loss......Come to STU home of the one free beer.

Closed Thread