HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
  #276
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
You do yourself a disservice if you "look no more." Eric is certainly a viable candidate if it's the coaching job they decide to fill. But you don't know the perameters of the position and you don't know who's out there and interested. Open the field and see what comes back.
You're right on the money. See who's out there. Fredericton's a great place to live and rebuilding a once proud program is a great opportunity for a prospective coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
A step in the right direction, but why the automatic assumption that Eagles' is to have a continued role. What if a proper review determines that he is not fit for either job? Then why not open both positions to competition and field the best possible candidates? And to say the area in which he will definitely be involved is recruiting? The man who couldn't entice a fly to a pile of ****? (a more apt analogy I can't think of).

Other flaws in the plan:
1. Eagles is "demoted" to coach only, then a) doesn't have the self-respect to quit in the face of demotion and b) now has to report to his new replacement, most likely with a chip on his shoulder.
2. Eagles loses the coaching job, but continues on as AD. Is he responsible for the hiring of the new coach? Is the new coach going to be a) a puppet hire or b) having to deal with Eagles constantly looking over his shoulder and interfering?
Some very good points. The latter scenario could scare some prospective coaches away despite the attractive elements that I mentioned above. If Eagles continues on as AD, I doubt if he'll be in that position for much longer....could be like previous STU hockey coach and AD Deryl Smith.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 08:16 PM
  #277
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're right on the money. See who's out there. Fredericton's a great place to live and rebuilding a once proud program is a great opportunity for a prospective coach.



Some very good points. The latter scenario could scare some prospective coaches away despite the attractive elements that I mentioned above. If Eagles continues on as AD, I doubt if he'll be in that position for much longer....could be like previous STU hockey coach and AD Deryl Smith.
Continued employment of the author of this mess makes AB SO LUTELY no sense and should not happen...........THE MAN IS NOT QUALIFIED ,and having him have anything to do with the resurrection of this program also makes no sense .I am still ranting ,see post #1 of this thread.

rantfather is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
  #278
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
January 2012 according to the web site...
Yes, I guess they're going to play in the new rink in the second half of next season.

With the need to recruit 8 new players this is all happening at a crucial time for rebuilding the program.

Rob is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
  #279
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUpid View Post
A step in the right direction, but why the automatic assumption that Eagles' is to have a continued role. What if a proper review determines that he is not fit for either job? Then why not open both positions to competition and field the best possible candidates? And to say the area in which he will definitely be involved is recruiting? The man who couldn't entice a fly to a pile of ****? (a more apt analogy I can't think of).

Other flaws in the plan:
1. Eagles is "demoted" to coach only, then a) doesn't have the self-respect to quit in the face of demotion and b) now has to report to his new replacement, most likely with a chip on his shoulder.
2. Eagles loses the coaching job, but continues on as AD. Is he responsible for the hiring of the new coach? Is the new coach going to be a) a puppet hire or b) having to deal with Eagles constantly looking over his shoulder and interfering?
Cochrane said Eagles will have a role to play. He's still in the consultation process in terms of deciding what that job will be. And yes, we were in Cochrane's office for 90 minutes, completely on the record.
For God sake, let them come up with a plan before you start picking it apart, you people. Mike Eagles is a good man and a good coach of the talent he has on hand...read the comments from his captain in the paper a couple of days ago vouching for how much he cares about the team and the program and what he's done in helping him get his degree. Eagles has demonstrated a lot more character over his career than a lot of his detractors here. He's got some qualities that the university should be proud to embrace. One way or another, you've all got what you want. Enough with the character assassination already.

gleanerguy is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
  #280
STUpid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Cochrane said Eagles will have a role to play. He's still in the consultation process in terms of deciding what that job will be. And yes, we were in Cochrane's office for 90 minutes, completely on the record.
For God sake, let them come up with a plan before you start picking it apart, you people. Mike Eagles is a good man and a good coach of the talent he has on hand...read the comments from his captain in the paper a couple of days ago vouching for how much he cares about the team and the program and what he's done in helping him get his degree. Eagles has demonstrated a lot more character over his career than a lot of his detractors here. He's got some qualities that the university should be proud to embrace. One way or another, you've all got what you want. Enough with the character assassination already.
UNFAIR!

I've said NOT ONE WORD about Mike Eagles' character. And I agree, he does a good job as a coach with the talent he has on hand, but on the other side of that coin, he's the man responsible for the talent he has (or hasn't) on hand.

My reading of your article gave me the impression it was an either/or scenario. Either Mike would be the coach or the AD. Are you saying there's a yet unknown position in the offing, possibly? I also read that one way or another he would be heavily involved in recruiting. His track record as a recruiter speaks for itself.

STUpid is offline  
Old
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
  #281
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
I agree, he's ultimately responsible for the talent level. It may be an either/or scenario for Eagles. I don't know that. I'm not sure Dennis Cochrane does. He's still in the consultation process.
My sense of it is that Eagles will be the athletic director. Even at the start of the season, in an interview setting he told me he couldn't see himself doing both jobs forever, that his goal was to develop the STU programs so that it would be too busy to do both roles.
I'm sure there would be mechanisms in place that he wouldn't be the guy exclusively doing the hiring...the whole structure they're putting in place is to tap into the other resources in the university in terms of fund raising, alumni and so on. Assume there would be a process that, while Mike's voice would be heard, it would be one voice.
I apologize -- I wasn't singling you out in terms of character assassination of a guy I know to be a very good man, if not a particularly dynamic personality. It's just been the general tone of this thread and the previous STUTOMMIES.com site for far too long. Yes, the man has limitations that don't make him the right fit to be a head hockey coach at the university level -- chief among them, his inability to recruit. But he's a good man. He has a family, and for all you or I know, they read these boards. And you're talking about someone's son, or husband, or father. It's not the way I'd like my dad/wife/son to be characterized, just because he has a rather public job.
Again, my apologies to you if you took personal offence.

gleanerguy is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 04:55 AM
  #282
STUTOMMIES
Registered User
 
STUTOMMIES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Quote:
It's just been the general tone of this thread and the previous STUTOMMIES.com site for far too long.
Let's clear the air once and for all. Enough was enough for me, you are right about that but the general tone on the site was constantly being added too by Squirrel bombs. It happened constantly and it added an element to the conversation that really wasn't needed but that is exactly what I have come to expect from them.

The reading I do on here tells me that most of us STU fans wanted change. We have something now, that is good. cookiecutter is the only one that seems to talk from both sides of his mouth. He doesn't make sense yet he is held up as an example. Spending too much money on men's and women's hockey??? He has an axe to grind and a forum to do it in. Ignore him or be like Kilfoyle and quote him the next time you want to attack STU.

We are in the process of change and I will support it. Mike is human he has faults and positives just like us all. Let's see if STU can play to his positives and minimize the negatives.

STUTOMMIES is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 06:24 AM
  #283
gleanerguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
I want to make it clear too. I'm not attacking STU in this or any other forum to which I have access. Our philosophy at the paper is to treat both the UNB and STU teams equally in terms of coverage: an "advance" story on a player or conversation with a coach leading into a game, coverage of that game talking to the most prominent players in that game; open to commentary as situations and events warrant in our various columns.
I agree and have stated here that the status quo can't continue, I will do so in my other forum later in the week. At the same time, I have a lot of regard for Eagles as a person and I hate to see him slandered as a person because he's not a success in the one or two aspects of his job which come under the most scrutiny: recruiting and winning hockey games. Like all of you, we at the paper want to see STU ice a competitive hockey team and program. They won't be on a scale with UNB, we accept that, but you want them to get to a point where, if they work hard, get good goaltending, play well, they are rewarded consistently. They're not there now. This is an effort to get there.
I appreciated and applauded the old Tommies site, commented there frequently. The administrators know I considered it a valuable forum and resource, until it became nothing but "Eagles must go" ad nauseum.
Eagles will be looked after, Cochrane assured us of that, and he won't have a mop and a bucket and a string of keys. As he told us "what does it say about us as an institution if we don't" (have a role for him).

gleanerguy is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
  #284
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Check the definition of slander!

rantfather is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
  #285
STUpid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I agree, he's ultimately responsible for the talent level. It may be an either/or scenario for Eagles. I don't know that. I'm not sure Dennis Cochrane does. He's still in the consultation process.
My sense of it is that Eagles will be the athletic director. Even at the start of the season, in an interview setting he told me he couldn't see himself doing both jobs forever, that his goal was to develop the STU programs so that it would be too busy to do both roles.
I'm sure there would be mechanisms in place that he wouldn't be the guy exclusively doing the hiring...the whole structure they're putting in place is to tap into the other resources in the university in terms of fund raising, alumni and so on. Assume there would be a process that, while Mike's voice would be heard, it would be one voice.
I apologize -- I wasn't singling you out in terms of character assassination of a guy I know to be a very good man, if not a particularly dynamic personality. It's just been the general tone of this thread and the previous STUTOMMIES.com site for far too long. Yes, the man has limitations that don't make him the right fit to be a head hockey coach at the university level -- chief among them, his inability to recruit. But he's a good man. He has a family, and for all you or I know, they read these boards. And you're talking about someone's son, or husband, or father. It's not the way I'd like my dad/wife/son to be characterized, just because he has a rather public job.
Again, my apologies to you if you took personal offence.
Apology accepted for the benefit of others as I also did in response to your PM.

I must add kudos to Dennis Cochrane for not leaving this mess to his successor to clean up.

STUpid is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
  #286
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,982
vCash: 500
I wonder if they could talk Al MacAdam out of retirement?

Rob is offline  
Old
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
  #287
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I wonder if they could talk Al MacAdam out of retirement?
Doubt it. He's one of the chief scouts in the Sabres organization.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 07:39 AM
  #288
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Doubt it. He's one of the chief scouts in the Sabres organization.
You are right,I have tried more than once but he certainly more than fill the bill.

rantfather is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 08:33 AM
  #289
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I want to make it clear too. I'm not attacking STU in this or any other forum to which I have access. Our philosophy at the paper is to treat both the UNB and STU teams equally in terms of coverage: an "advance" story on a player or conversation with a coach leading into a game, coverage of that game talking to the most prominent players in that game; open to commentary as situations and events warrant in our various columns.
I agree and have stated here that the status quo can't continue, I will do so in my other forum later in the week. At the same time, I have a lot of regard for Eagles as a person and I hate to see him slandered as a person because he's not a success in the one or two aspects of his job which come under the most scrutiny: recruiting and winning hockey games. Like all of you, we at the paper want to see STU ice a competitive hockey team and program. They won't be on a scale with UNB, we accept that, but you want them to get to a point where, if they work hard, get good goaltending, play well, they are rewarded consistently. They're not there now. This is an effort to get there.
I appreciated and applauded the old Tommies site, commented there frequently. The administrators know I considered it a valuable forum and resource, until it became nothing but "Eagles must go" ad nauseum.
Eagles will be looked after, Cochrane assured us of that, and he won't have a mop and a bucket and a string of keys. As he told us "what does it say about us as an institution if we don't" (have a role for him).
ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE MISPLACED SENTIMENTALITY!

You certainly are attacking with your suggestion that to complain about the situation is "slanderous"....get off the fence! the pickets must be uncomfortable by now.
It's NOT about the man but rather the JOB that he is not doing and hasn't for mostly 9 years.
He has created the mess and has no capacity to bring together the people who could rectify this situation and so it is time to move on.
I applaud President Cochrane in undertaking the thorough review which I am sure will fully examine and justify all changes.

rantfather is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 08:46 PM
  #290
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Hi coach or no squirrels allowed:
To clarifly my original comments on the money spent on hockey was in context to the original argueme

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
  #291
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Hi coach or no squirrels allowed:
To clarifly my original comments on the money spent on hockey was in context to the original argument that the NCAA teams are all successful, but the hockey teams were an expensive mess. I used the example that over a million was being spent in the new rink while the non varsity teams were having yardsales to raise money. The retort was that a million was a made up figure by me. The Gleaner proved me right. I spoke of the AD was a hockey guy so money for hockey is no object while other sports get nothing. I have said that Mike is a nice guy, but why buy two hockey teams and nothing for other sports? The alumni are the eventual ones to determine if a coach stays or goes at Stu. Sorry to step on toes, but if one even mentions the high cost of female hockey, " no Squirrels Allowed" goes balistic?

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-11-2011, 05:00 AM
  #292
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
I read the article in the paper today on Mike Eagles. Very nice. I posted very early on the other site that it was a huge mistake for him to take on two jobs. For gosh sakes, the University can throw millions to have a high status in the University sport world of hockey, but they could not afford to replace Jen Myers? It was wrong at the time and this was predictable and here we are. If a new venue and more money for the team is viewed as the way back to the top then why not Mike to be the man to do that? The position of AD was his path to where we are today. His ability to play in the NHL for all of those years would certainly add to his philosophy formation as a coach but would do, probably not a lot, to add to what happens on the other side of the fence, such as recruiting, dealing with political issues, and university life. They claim the president of STU is to be commended in how quickly he is dealing with the situation. I would guess that, more likely, the alumni at STU, have worn on him to this place in time. It is easy to hand a man two jobs, both that were and will be two huge portfolios and let him sink on one, the other or both. If recruiting was the issue, then why have him recruit alone? He is shy and humble, why send him, from STU, with hat in hand to go against the big guns like UNB??? STU was competitive when both programs were local guys from STU playing local guys from UNB. UNB moved on STU did not. This not the first time the issue of coach and AD being the same guy failed. Now it will take millions of dollars, and years of work.

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-13-2011, 06:16 AM
  #293
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
I read about the former tommies, from the girls team, are playing in the world pond hockey. Glad to see that female hockey exists after university. Shame on UNB. I took in the game against UPEI Tommie girls have some strong players and the Olympic girl is the real deal!

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-13-2011, 11:21 AM
  #294
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Cookie - since you can indeed read, perhaps you havent noticed that UNB does have a women's team, playing in a collegiate-type loop. Not a varsity program but club team still exists. And it is more likely NBers will have more opportunity to play in that forum than if it was a varsity program.

VRedsRule is offline  
Old
02-13-2011, 11:38 AM
  #295
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
yes indeed I can, and do read, which would make me ponder what I said to make you believe that I did not know that they had a club team??? You should, as a UNB person, should be proud of how UNB stood behind the female hockey program. I am not certain of how much money it took to raise the Varsity team to club status. At least that is one thing they did to help STU.....remove themselves from the circuit.

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM
  #296
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
STU women always kicked our a**

I have no issue with any school dropping varsity programs. Many have, and focus on less than a full stable. UNB had to make a decision and I for one feel it was the proper one.

I also wholeheardtedly support schools like STU competing in CIS with a particular program.

I as much as anyone want STU to return to their glory days, and I am hoping the winds of change bring it on.

VRedsRule is offline  
Old
02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
  #297
rantfather
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Winds Of Change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRedsRule View Post
STU women always kicked our a**

I have no issue with any school dropping varsity programs. Many have, and focus on less than a full stable. UNB had to make a decision and I for one feel it was the proper one.

I also wholeheardtedly support schools like STU competing in CIS with a particular program.

I as much as anyone want STU to return to their glory days, and I am hoping the winds of change bring it on.
Another worthy candidate for a new coaching staff would be Pat Powers who is currently an assistant coach with the UWO mustangs and will likely emerge from the OUA west and be appearing in Freddy in Marchat the Nationals.

Maybe there should be a write in campaign for the return of Al MacAdam as Athletic director who certainly has amongst his attributes the ability to "right the ship"

rantfather is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 05:48 AM
  #298
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
I see the girls almost upset Moncton last night. For all it would cost, why don't we hire a full time coach there also?? Two varsity team and two full time coaches. The men probably need a full time assistant also. With what we are investing in the rink, why not go the way of two full time coaches? Does this not make sense? Gleaner guy can you lobby for that? Let's take both programs to the next level!!

cookiecutter is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 07:21 AM
  #299
SnipeShow91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Another worthy candidate for a new coaching staff would be Pat Powers who is currently an assistant coach with the UWO mustangs and will likely emerge from the OUA west and be appearing in Freddy in Marchat the Nationals.

Maybe there should be a write in campaign for the return of Al MacAdam as Athletic director who certainly has amongst his attributes the ability to "right the ship"
dude, season is over, take a break. Let the process handle itself before you go bashing it again

SnipeShow91 is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
  #300
cookiecutter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
I can only assume that Mike is looking for a new job and not sitting on his hands. I would be nice for him to go to a top notch program and toil in that venue. STU will rebuild in probably about three years. We just need to get back to the middle of the pack. NS is a big province with big cities and some players naturally want to go there. Moncton recruits in the Quebec league and UNB is a top rated program for now. STU just needs to get out there and recruit the same guys as everyone else plus about ten more. Get to the middle of the pack, attract some fans, who get to see 50% of the games as wins and then build on that. I do think we need to look outside for a coach. Local names I have heard are Brian Whitehead, Toom Coolen and of course Eric "Biz". Biz would certainly be entertaining, a fierce competitor and he leaves it all on the ice. The wait and see will be fun. I disagree, the season is over, but the second guessing will be fun.

cookiecutter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.