HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
gleanerguy

vCash: 500
Personally, I like the LBR..it's got an intimacy and (when the team is competitive) an intimidation factor that other arenas don't have. There's a real buzz in the building when there are big games that you have a hard time recreating at a larger, more antiseptic venue.
Of course, they haven't played a big game there in a while...
The new rink will be a cookie cutter type of place. But parking will be better, dressing rooms and facilities will be better and eventually the team will be better, which should nuetralize some of those concerns. Will definitely miss the LBR though...

Old
08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Rob

Did STU release their exhibition schedule yet?

Old
08-20-2011, 04:42 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
I kind of agree with this, I find the margin of improvement is larger on a team that has really gone through the hard times then hires a new coach etc. There is alot more optimism going around in such cases, like you say, "more to improve on" sort of thing. I'm pretty optimistic about their chances myself, Ryan could have done nothing and have a better season.
Having spent most of my weekends plus two weeks in Fredericton area this summer,
and on numerous occassions having driven by the new arena going up on Kimball , what are your thoughts on that? What are their plans for the LBR? I really thought STU had something there, so they are into the Saint Mary's/Forum thing? I find that takes something away from the team identity, although noone would argue for a new community facility. Be a long walk from the campus wouldn't it? and they'd have to get across the highway too?
i like the idea of a better facility rink for the team. I still love the LBR....i just hate the location. Its defenitly a far go from campus, even the forest hill residences. Hopefully for any student that wants to go see the team, that the city provides a bus route there or STU provides a shuttle, im not sure how many students would want to go

Old
08-20-2011, 05:34 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Personally, I like the LBR..it's got an intimacy and (when the team is competitive) an intimidation factor that other arenas don't have. There's a real buzz in the building when there are big games that you have a hard time recreating at a larger, more antiseptic venue.
The new rink will be a cookie cutter type of place. But parking will be better, dressing rooms and facilities will be better and eventually the team will be better, which should nuetralize some of those concerns. Will definitely miss the LBR though...
I agree there was a buzz there from time to time when the Tommies were more competitive...but it's time to get out of that antiquated facility....the parking is horrid, the benches are uncomfortable...the place really is a barn....not a whole lot of charm there either.....really suspect it hurt to bring a prospective recruit in to see the school and city and oh, no, we can't bring him to the rink....it really is an embarrassment....the only thing that it's got going for it is location..too bad they couldn't have torn it down and build the new facility there....I'm sure everybody involved with the Tommies are counting the days when they can move into the new facility......same situation with unb and the hoopsters moving to the currie center out of the old pit...

Old
08-20-2011, 06:26 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
I love the LBR and will miss it dearly. You can really get into a game because you are so close to the action on the ice. Also, the small ice surface could be used as an advantage for the home side...in better days of course. That said, it is time to move on. The new rink will be modern and have all types of amenities the LBR could never have.

Old
08-20-2011, 07:52 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Did STU release their exhibition schedule yet?
They haven't but I have a few dates I have picked up here.

Old
08-22-2011, 09:36 AM
rantfather

Quote:
like Gleaner Guy and others it will be difficult for me to eventually see the change of venue ;it has been for me 'the scene of the crime" since the 60's and many great memories but those same type of memories will eventually be recreated at the new rink and new ones made.

The new"BEAV", that I prefer to call the new rink will have many advantages which with use will become evident and create a new history.

Looking forward to the new order of things.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Island Husky

Brad's brother
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...ain-NHL-camp/1

Old
09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
STUTOMMIES

STU adds three MHL players to line-up. Two team captains and a goalie.

http://stutommies.com/2011/09/tommie...-zandbeek.html

Old
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
I agree there was a buzz there from time to time when the Tommies were more competitive...but it's time to get out of that antiquated facility....the parking is horrid, the benches are uncomfortable...the place really is a barn....not a whole lot of charm there either.....really suspect it hurt to bring a prospective recruit in to see the school and city and oh, no, we can't bring him to the rink....it really is an embarrassment....the only thing that it's got going for it is location..too bad they couldn't have torn it down and build the new facility there....I'm sure everybody involved with the Tommies are counting the days when they can move into the new facility......same situation with unb and the hoopsters moving to the currie center out of the old pit...
Disagree on the charm. Do you really think the AUC has charm? I'd say LBR defeats AUC in both charm and atmosphere by a country mile. The LBR also has much better ice to skate on than the AUC.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Disagree on the charm. Do you really think the AUC has charm? I'd say LBR defeats AUC in both charm and atmosphere by a country mile. The LBR also has much better ice to skate on than the AUC.
Sure if by charm you mean lots of support beams that block views, bench seating with no back support, cold building on chilly nights, very friendly but slow concessions with long lines and anarchy in the parking lot. Sure, I could see that might appeal to some people.

I'll give you that it is an historic building with lots of atmosphere (when fans show up), but comfortable the LBR is not.

As for the AUC, since they replaced their ice subsurface right down to dirt in the last couple of years I have not heard any complaints about skating on their ice.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:43 PM
gleanerguy

The only thing that stopped people from going in recent years is the quality of the hockey therein. If the team is good, people will go and put up with "no back rests, lousy canteen, etc. etc."
People go to watch the product on the ice. For all the amenities at UNB games, people don't go for the fries, or the pizza or the video screens...they go to watch the team play, and win.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
The only thing that stopped people from going in recent years is the quality of the hockey therein. If the team is good, people will go and put up with "no back rests, lousy canteen, etc. etc."
People go to watch the product on the ice. For all the amenities at UNB games, people don't go for the fries, or the pizza or the video screens...they go to watch the team play, and win.
oh Cavendish Aitken Centre fries....how i miss it. Even tho its the hot dogs that got me to the rink!

Old
09-30-2011, 06:40 AM
cookiecutter

Hockey has started at STU

1.Hey Gleaner Guy, What's wrong with a cookie cutter approach that you speak of?
Signed Cookie Cutter.
2. I got most of my predictive calls right last year. I won't gloat here.
3. When Ryan said "it was the worst period of hockey I have ever watched", regarding his first game, at least he got in free. I have been paying to watch that crap for three years.
4. I stated that I am willing to give Ryan three years to turn the program around. Two issues with that are; if he can turn it around, he will probably have offers elsewhere and if he doesn't what becomes of STU hockey?

Old
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
rantfather

IMPROVING SLOWLY BUT SURELY...

Coach Ryan et al were about 2 minutes short in the game plan.A MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!

Getting scored on on the PP continues to plague one of the PP units and a missed one in one end results in one at the other.

To quote one of the players, X is one of the top 4 in the AUS and so last nights results needs to be measured by that standard in mind.

Exhibition games are meant to be a learning exercise and I am sure that the coaching staff has learned valuable lessons for when the real season starts.

I personally remain optimistic that this new leadership is on the right track.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
rantfather

By all reports, yesterdays O/T loss by a 4-3 count vs UQTR was more evidence that men's hockey at STU is improving and making it more exciting at the BEAV once again; UQTR was ranked top 10 all last year and is the 3rd preseason game against such competition with growing improvement each time out.

The new coaching staff are making good use of the exhibition schedule in getting the team ready for the real season upcoming.

Old
10-03-2011, 02:46 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
By all reports, yesterdays O/T loss by a 4-3 count vs UQTR was more evidence that men's hockey at STU is improving and making it more exciting at the BEAV once again; UQTR was ranked top 10 all last year and is the 3rd preseason game against such competition with growing improvement each time out.

The new coaching staff are making good use of the exhibition schedule in getting the team ready for the real season upcoming.
3rd game in 2 1/2 days for UQTR. If anything STU was the more rested team. Just throwing that out there

Old
10-08-2011, 05:11 AM
STUTOMMIES

Nice to get that first win of the season tucked away under your belt. Shots were close, score was close, but we won. BTW, the Tommies beat UPEI 2 to 1. Happy Coach Ryan got his first win and see Chris Van Laren get his first CIS goal.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:42 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Nice to get that first win of the season tucked away under your belt. Shots were close, score was close, but we won. BTW, the Tommies beat UPEI 2 to 1. Happy Coach Ryan got his first win and see Chris Van Laren get his first CIS goal.
awsome news congrats to STU Hockey, I hope it continues on and the Players buy into Coach Ryan's System

Old
10-08-2011, 12:03 PM
AUS Fan

Awesome News??

It's an exhibition win, not the CIS Final.

No, I don't think I'm being negative here. When STU can win more than 5-6 games and compete with the rest of the league, then it will be news. I'm certain that Troy can get them there, but it will take time.

I'm putting on my armor as I write this to protect myself from the slings and arrows I'm about to receive from rantfather and others.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:21 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post

No, I don't think I'm being negative here. When STU can win more than 5-6 games and compete with the rest of the league, then it will be news. I'm certain that Troy can get them there, but it will take time.

I'm putting on my armor as I write this to protect myself from the slings and arrows I'm about to receive from rantfather and others.
Point taken. But it's significant progress from a 7-1 loss on home ice to the same Panthers a couple of weeks ago, when UPEI scored in the first minute of the game. It's a step.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:46 PM
rantfather

Quote:

NO SLINGS & ARROWS:

BUT you ARE being NEGATIVE BUDDY,if you would bother to notice the Tommies have slowly improved over the exhibition schedule culminating in last night.s win..on the road I might add.

I also am being negative but unlike yourself will own up to it, if it looks like a skunk, and smells like a skunk then it's a skunk...OK SKUNKY? .you are entitled to STINK as it is the nature of the beast.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
AUS Fan

My point was that it's not Awesome News that STU won the game. Good for them.

I would consider it condescending if someone said "that's awesome" if my team won a game. I have said before that I like Troy and think he will do a good job, so I'm not negative.

Old
10-08-2011, 08:37 PM
SnipeShow91

If your happy about an exhibition win....good for you, its a confindence builder and nothing more. If you think one win is going to translate into a playoff spot in year 1 of the plan, then your probably not that smart of a hockey person. Oh, 11-2 loss tonite. Are you going to jump for joy over that and pump tires!

Old
10-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Quote:
My point was that it's not Awesome News that STU won the game. Good for them.

I would consider it condescending if someone said "that's awesome" if my team won a game. I have said before that I like Troy and think he will do a good job, so I'm not negative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
If your happy about an exhibition win....good for you, its a confindence builder and nothing more. If you think one win is going to translate into a playoff spot in year 1 of the plan, then your probably not that smart of a hockey person. Oh, 11-2 loss tonite. Are you going to jump for joy over that and pump tires!
I bet the two of you complained that it was only 23 degrees today.

Closed Thread