HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
STUTOMMIES

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
ROFL is the expression isn't it?? On the subject though, I was surprised at UPEI taking the title, and MT A getting into the final, Ol Jack must be singing in his cups! I see PEI is ranked 4th for the Nationals..seems high but I don't follow it close enough. I guess at the AUS Finals, PEI needless to say won some big games, I think their two toughest games were first and second. But anyway, that X game must have been a real "Katie bar the door" How quickly the intensity of this league has grown do you find?
It really has. Consider that MT A and PEI were the 6 and 7th ranked teams last year. Pretty interesting. All the teams in the AUS are recruiting heavily out west now and getting better players. As some of the Squirrels have mentioned, in regard to the men recruiting out west, the Maritimes doesn't have the population so you have to go outside the region to get good players.

At the AUS championship all the teams had one win and one loss in the round robin. That is pretty balanced IMO. X is the best team (on paper and the regular season) but the gap is narrowing every year.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
SnipeShow91

When it comes to the AUS womens championships, I have said since my STU days that there needs to be a legitmate playoff best of 3 series. Every other womens conference has a playoff, why dosent the AUS. More than enough ice time in the other conferences with other schools who have both programs to get 3 hours of ice. I honestly dont think its right or fair that a team like X or UdeM can roll through competition in the season, then not even have a shot at the finals. With all due respect to UPEI, they dont compare to McGill, Calgary, Alberta, Montreal and Laurier in the slightest.

Last edited by Majik1987: 03-08-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: QDP and response
Old
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
When it comes to the AUS womens championships, I have said since my STU days that there needs to be a legitmate playoff best of 3 series. Every other womens conference has a playoff, why dosent the AUS. More than enough ice time in the other conferences with other schools who have both programs to get 3 hours of ice. I honestly dont think its right or fair that a team like X or UdeM can roll through competition in the season, then not even have a shot at the finals. With all due respect to UPEI, they dont compare to McGill, Calgary, Alberta, Montreal and Laurier in the slightest.
Oh I couldn't agree more. I did hear a team official a few years ago, (Mens AUS Hockey) say "Everyone else decides their championship on a weekend" I thought he was deriding the men's for not doing so, but never thought anymore about it.
As for PEI at the nationals....go girls go...heh heh...but I am not confidant. I just watched a relative's team get slaughtered in the volleyball nationals, they got there in an "upset weekend" as well.

Old
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
timbitca

Don't get me started on the Women's AUS... stupid format. As far as we're concerned we've been screwed out of a few nationals appearances in the last few years.

Anyhow, it's supposed to change in the next few years from what I heard, to real playoffs.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:08 AM
STUTOMMIES

Tommies captain Matt Eagles has been forced out of hockey due to concussions.
Read more here with a link to the AQ article included. http://stutommies.com/2012/03/concus...s-playing.html

Matt is such a great young man. I hope he stays on with the team in some capacity. Taking pre-med at STU so I think he has made the right decision to stop now before he can't follow his dream of becoming a doctor.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
STUTOMMIES

Jordan Thomas

Sportstream's Mike Barkhouse on Jordan Thomas

One of the most respected leaders in the Maritime Hockey League during his junior career, defenseman Jordan Thomas will be a great addition to the St. Thomas roster for the upcoming season. A Cole Harbour native, Thomas will bring a steady 2 way game to the STU lineup and should be able to step in and contribute right away. Thomas possesses a tireless work ethic, toughness, and desire to do whatever it takes to help his team win as evidenced by his playing through multiple nagging injuries at one point or another in his Marauders career. Thomas notched 34 points in 52 games for the Marauders during the 2011-2012 campaign, and was honored with the prestigious MHL Character Award, given out annually to the player in the league everyone hates to play against but would love to have on their team. Thomas was the team captain for the Marauders last season, a role that in a few years, he could very well hold again with the Tommies given his strong leadership abilities.

Old
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
STUTOMMIES

Tommies add dman MArc-Andre Levesque of the PEI Rockets to the line-up for next year.
http://t.co/fHsY8u3R

Old
06-21-2012, 05:42 AM
STUTOMMIES

The Tommies are looking for an assistant coach. Current associate coach and former Tommie Eric Bissonnette is stepping down after a one year stay.

The new coach will be an assistant to Troy Ryan and will not be a full time position.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
rantfather

Losing a good coach!

I understand that STU has down graded the assistant coaches position and in doing so has lost a great graduate of STU Hockey.
I hope that a credentialed candidate emerges and that Coach Ryan is Not forced into accepting another NEPOTISTIC appointment and that a fair an open search is conducted.

Best wishes to Eric on the sidelines.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Island Husky

Brad Gallant

http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports...pro-contract/1

Old
07-01-2012, 01:16 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
I understand that STU has down graded the assistant coaches position and in doing so has lost a great graduate of STU Hockey.
I hope that a credentialed candidate emerges and that Coach Ryan is Not forced into accepting another NEPOTISTIC appointment and that a fair an open search is conducted.

Best wishes to Eric on the sidelines.
Troy, from what I've been told, is a pretty independent guy. If you are talking about STU hiring Matt Eagles as asst coach. Its a pretty good move if in turn he is. Matt still has another year of school, hes young, he could learn a lot about being behind the bench and he is one of the boys already, just like an asst coach should be. And Matt has been coach by some of the best in his junior years so already i'm sure his hockey mind is top notch.

Good to see you haven't gotten off the anti-Eagles bandwagon. If Matt's hired and STU falters, I'll expect some "fire the asst coach, all his fault" messages.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
rantfather

NEW ASSISTANT MENS.COACH!

Congratulations on the hiring of a very successful local High School coach for the men,s Tommies.
Tim Smith has a proven record of success and will provide a solid support to Coach Ryan in the AUS.

Go Tommies Go,

Rantfather.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
rantfather

Congratulations to Coach Troy Ryan and assistant Smith in the identifying and landing of appropriate student/athletes for the Mens hockey team.Well done!

Go Tommies. Go!

Rantfather

Old
08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
cishockeyfan

please refresh me, Has St thomas Announced any recruits in the Past couple of weeks? ive only heard of 1 forward so far?

Home come ive never heard tell of Brad Gallant over the past 4 years but all the sudden he's hoping for an American Hockey League Tryout, is he good? Im actually not being sarcastic, when i think of STU I think of Cameron, Sanza, Eagles, and Praught in the past, I always thought Gallant was one of their weaker players?

Old
08-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
please refresh me, Has St thomas Announced any recruits in the Past couple of weeks? ive only heard of 1 forward so far?
Supposedly three - as per this announcement in late July.

STU Thomas announce Recruits

Old
08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

To go along with Marc-Andre Levesque (PEI Rocket) and Jordan Thomas (MJAHL), who were announced earlier in the summer.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:41 PM
cishockeyfan

Those are the guys I thought they have recruited to date, and dont get me wrong cause im posting on a STU Topic cause of my avatar, I WANT STU TO COMPETE and those players just are not enough.
STU is losing a good chunk of important players from their Team last year, and their team obviously needed alot of improvement.
They're recruiting so far this summer seems to be well below what other AUS Schools have recruited to date, so while it seems every other team is getting better, STU seems to be falling behind more. Lavigne really kept the Tommies in alot of games the past couple of seasons hes gone, lets hope the new goalie comes as advertised, cause unless Coach Ryan pulls a couple of Rabits out of his Hat its not looking good

Old
09-06-2012, 09:24 AM
rantfather

Recruitment improvement at STU..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Those are the guys I thought they have recruited to date, and dont get me wrong cause im posting on a STU Topic cause of my avatar, I WANT STU TO COMPETE and those players just are not enough.
STU is losing a good chunk of important players from their Team last year, and their team obviously needed alot of improvement.
They're recruiting so far this summer seems to be well below what other AUS Schools have recruited to date, so while it seems every other team is getting better, STU seems to be falling behind more. Lavigne really kept the Tommies in alot of games the past couple of seasons hes gone, lets hope the new goalie comes as advertised, cause unless Coach Ryan pulls a couple of Rabits out of his Hat its not looking good
There has been a LARGE improvement with STU men's hockey with the leadership.now of a man who is now recruiting appropriate student/athletes.
Slowly, the not quite ready for prime time players are leaving either through graduation,retirement etc and are being replaced wite legitimate candidates.

In addition.Troy Ryan has demonstrated a superior ability to get EVERYONE working together on the same page and gets 110% from everybody and seems to.be able to.deploy his assets strategically well.

No doubt the loss of Charlie Lavigne is a HUGH one but the new tender from.The west will surprise us as many good reports will attest.

A new and fresh approach is at work with Mens hockey and it is not too early to be hopeful that this team will be beard from.at playoff time.

A stronger men's Tommies is good for the AUS so let's ALL support this new order.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Story in today's Daily Gleaner that the new Grant-Harvey arena will be open on the 28th.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Story in today's Daily Gleaner that the new Grant-Harvey arena will be open on the 28th.
Hockeyscene article. Sounds like a nice place.
Can't wait for a youtibe.

http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12645

Old
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Hockeyscene article. Sounds like a nice place.
Can't wait for a youtibe.

http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12645
Alpine - all of the out of towners will like the location - beside the uptown route 8 on-ramp. Probably save you 20min not having to go up the hill to get on the highway.

Old
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Alpine - all of the out of towners will like the location - beside the uptown route 8 on-ramp. Probably save you 20min not having to go up the hill to get on the highway.
Much better for quick exits after the game, and like Drummer says, several minutes closer to post-game take-out on Prospect Street.

It will be really easy for folks coming from south or east of Fredericton: Stay on the Trans Canada (Highway 2) from Moncton. Merge onto Vanier Road/Highway 7 after the Lincoln Big Stop. Take Exit 2 for Kimble Road and you'll see the rink.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 09-10-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Here is the schedule of events for that weekend...

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...ventsFINAL.pdf

Old
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Rob

Did STU announce any exhibition games yet?

Old
09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Did STU announce any exhibition games yet?
There are three(3) listed on the CIS Composite Schedule

Thu. Oct. 4th vs SFX (at home)

Sat. Oct. 6th vs Holy Cross (NCAA-Atlantic Hockey Conf.)
Sun. Oct. 7th at Sacred Heart (NCAA-Atlantic Hockey Conf.)

Closed Thread