HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
SuperSquirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Administration at STU is failing to investigate the activities of Men's hockey during the Eagles era.

There has been no transparency nor information shared that would.clarify anything and concern still.abounds that there were incidents of player compensation that far exceeded CIS guidelines for such matters which has jeopardized the ability to.run an ethical men's hockey program.

Why would administration not wish to publicly clarify this?

Men's hockey is not where it should be and is not because of reckless expenditures on player personel by men's hockey administratioon.

If violations of CIS/AUS guidelines have been breached then the perpetrater should be dealt with.

What life lesson is to be learned by using "cheating" principles to win and Saint Thomas University.needs to.be above such behavior.

AN investigation needs to.be undertaken asap.
WTF...

Rantfather, I'm curious, would you even care about Eagles supposed expenditures if STU had won a couple AUS Titles and maybe even a National Championship during his era?

I bet you wouldn't give a **** what Eagles spent on players had he produced a winning team. It's the fact that he didn't that bothers you.

No one at STU is going to open up a full investigation of what transpired under his watch to satisfy your curiousity so deal with it and move on.

Old
06-05-2013, 07:51 PM
SnipeShow91

This whole "investigation" of STU hockey only came about when Dalhousie and Pete Belliveau were under investigation and that STU should come forward with their own financials for the CIS to look at for the "smart thing to do." But like Super Squirrel said, the team has been losing so why look at the losing program for financial misdealings. Like I said before, I don't think STU has the energy or even cares about investigating something THAT HASNT BEEN A PROBLEM EVER at STU.

Let's focus on STU finding a new coach first and discuss possible possibilities of who this person could be rather than give into Rantfathers bottomless rants!

Old
06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Kyle Mcallister behind the bench seems like a good fit? A former player who is well recieved by the public, passionate, hard working and who bleeds Tommie green! I believe Kyle did some scouting a few years ago and has an OHL and Maritime connection. He has been helping out with the girls program. He would also have a better connection with Eagles, I would think?

Old
06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
rantfather

Administration does.NOT know what it doesn't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSquirrel View Post
WTF...

Rantfather, I'm curious, would you even care about Eagles supposed expenditures if STU had won a couple AUS Titles and maybe even a National Championship during his era?

I bet you wouldn't give a **** what Eagles spent on players had he produced a winning team. It's the fact that he didn't that bothers you.

No one at STU is going to open up a full investigation of what transpired under his watch to satisfy your curiousity so deal with it and move on.
I hope that your suggestion that the winning of Championships is what my rants are all about.

It is.the.unethical disregard for recruitment rules and putting STU in such a position that bothers me and that administratiin has abandoned their responsibility to provide due dilligence of these activities and.persistantly publicly brags about such irresponsible behavior.

I live 1000 miles away from.Fredericton but can" smell the mess from here".

WHY does Administration NOT at least examine the situation or are they wanting a CIS lead investigation to do this?

I have been "ranting".about this since July 2010 and had hoped that the losing of this fine coach would prompt the collective ininformed in STU administration to.GET INFORMED !

I am a proud graduate of STU and cannot sit idily by as the men's hockey is being decimated.

It is MORE than.embarrassing that STU did.NOT use this opportunity to get to the bottom of this mess and take corrective action.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:59 AM
forecheck

Question:

Why would a guy who scratched and clawed his way up the ladder to finally reach his dream job - just walk away with no definitive plan ???

Answer:

The former Coach is shuffled into a position of authority ( AD ) over the new Coach and cuts the new Coach's legs out from under him any chance he gets to finally make it unbearable to work in that environment any longer.

Question: What qualifications does the former Coach have to make him the AD of University Athletics IE ( No degree , No admin experience , etc ).

Answer: Information that would be embarrassing to the University= Job security???

Old
06-07-2013, 06:54 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
I hope that your suggestion that the winning of Championships is what my rants are all about.

It is.the.unethical disregard for recruitment rules and putting STU in such a position that bothers me and that administratiin has abandoned their responsibility to provide due dilligence of these activities and.persistantly publicly brags about such irresponsible behavior.

I live 1000 miles away from.Fredericton but can" smell the mess from here".

WHY does Administration NOT at least examine the situation or are they wanting a CIS lead investigation to do this?

I have been "ranting".about this since July 2010 and had hoped that the losing of this fine coach would prompt the collective ininformed in STU administration to.GET INFORMED !

I am a proud graduate of STU and cannot sit idily by as the men's hockey is being decimated.

It is MORE than.embarrassing that STU did.NOT use this opportunity to get to the bottom of this mess and take corrective action.

I completely understand your passion for STU hockey and your strong desire to see things get turned around but you speak of an "unethical disregard for recruitment rules" that has put STU in their current position.

Are you suggesting this only occurred under the Eagles era and that no other coach/AD in STU's history has been involved in such behaviour?

Old
06-07-2013, 07:37 AM
rantfather

Ethical recruitment!

Quote:
I completely understand your passion for STU hockey and your strong desire to see things get turned around but you speak of an "unethical disregard for recruitment rules" that has put STU in their current position.

Are you suggesting this only occurred under the Eagles era and that no other coach/AD in STU's history has been involved in such behaviour?
I can tell you that during my recruitment years NOT ONE RECRUIT ever received one cent more than was allowed under the rules
It was during a very competitive recruiting environment yet we managed to attract several ALL Canadians,Dave Gilmore,Danny Preston and Matt Hogan amd numerous other great players.

A strong salespitch and personal.contact managed to do this WITHOUT going outside the rules as that would have been CHEATING and basing recruitment on principles that have NO PLACE at STU.

All recruits that I spoke to heard from me that they would be getting offers which exceeded what St.Thomas had tl offer but what we at STU was offering was " PRICELESS"

Short answer! I and the rest of the recruitment team NEVER offered anything beyond the guide lines and as I was the mouth peace I can confirm that 100 %

Spending excessive money cannot buy you a hockey team as recently showed at STU under Eagles.

It CAN and HAS been done ethically by this poster in times.gone by.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:07 AM
rantfather

Ethical recruitment!

Quote:

I can tell you that during my recruitment years NOT ONE RECRUIT ever received one cent more than was allowed under the rules
It was during a very competitive recruiting environment yet we managed to attract several ALL Canadians,Dave Gilmore,Danny Preston and Matt Hogan amd numerous other great players.

A strong salespitch and personal.contact managed to do this WITHOUT going outside the rules as that would have been CHEATING and basing recruitment on principles that have NO PLACE at STU.

All recruits that I spoke to heard from me that they would be getting offers which exceeded what St.Thomas had tl offer but what we at STU was offering was " PRICELESS"

Short answer! I and the rest of the recruitment team NEVER offered anything beyond the guide lines and as I was the mouth peace I can confirm that 100 %

Spending excessive money cannot buy you a hockey team as recently showed at STU under Eagles.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:

If you are so sure of this and it concerns you that much - take this to someone else. You are spending time here as an anonymous poster on a message board ranting and raving and accomplishing nothing. You are also at risk of slander so you had best have your house in order.

Old
06-07-2013, 08:11 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
Question:

Why would a guy who scratched and clawed his way up the ladder to finally reach his dream job - just walk away with no definitive plan ???

Answer:

The former Coach is shuffled into a position of authority ( AD ) over the new Coach and cuts the new Coach's legs out from under him any chance he gets to finally make it unbearable to work in that environment any longer.

Question: What qualifications does the former Coach have to make him the AD of University Athletics IE ( No degree , No admin experience , etc ).

Answer: Information that would be embarrassing to the University= Job security???
I absolutely agree with this poster,

THE ATHLETIC Directors job was never posted but was handed to Eagles by a previous acting president ?

Old
06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:

Would this "cheating" and "spending excessive money" have bothered you as much if Eagles had produced a winning team?

Old
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
rantfather

Read my post again!

Quote:
Would this "cheating" and "spending excessive money" have bothered you as much if Eagles had produced a winning team?

ABSOLUTELY!

Old
06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!
That's a total lie. Rantfather would be leading the parade down Queen St commending Eagles on a fine job on bringing a championship to STU.

Old
06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
Question:

Answer:

How much do you want to bet that this never happened based on research for probably the best sources around at STU?

Old
06-08-2013, 06:36 AM
cookiecutter

So, let's man up (woman up) here. The issues are that we have over a $mill tied up in a new rink, plus ice costs, operating costs. We have no coach, and an AD and Admin that many do not trust. In essence, there is no physical team. The Friends, Alumni, and fans are discontent and pulling in different directions. We lost the man everyone felt could turn this around. Plus there are other threats and rumours that are circulating about the team. No matter what you think of my summation, it is pretty factual. So what are the options? I will lay out three I see as possible.

1. STU folds the team, not wanting to throw good money after bad, in it's mind.

2. Hire a coach and try to rebuild knowing that middle of the pack is all we can hope for in 3-5 years. Honestly, one has to admit we do not have the courses to offer at STU, we cannot recruit big numbers of franchise players because of our past history of losing seasons, and we are going up against Universities with history. Most of the top teams have a solid base and only need to bring in a couple each year. This is possible because we have several coaches lying around who would take the salary for three years, pray for success and climb the ladder...may have to fire Eagles to do this

3. Do like the Women's team, assemble three or four guys who have some experience and love to coach. Hire them part time. Lure one proven coach, like Bizz, to oversee the the others, run what practises he can, go to the games, and still run his business and pay him a good stipend. Recruit some local players to create a fan base and climb to the middle and re-evaluate in three years.

Old
06-08-2013, 08:09 AM
rantfather

STU men's hockey dilema!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
So, let's man up (woman up) here. The issues are that we have over a $mill tied up in a new rink, plus ice costs, operating costs. We have no coach, and an AD and Admin that many do not trust. In essence, there is no physical team. The Friends, Alumni, and fans are discontent and pulling in different directions. We lost the man everyone felt could turn this around. Plus there are other threats and rumours that are circulating about the team. No matter what you think of my summation, it is pretty factual. So what are the options? I will lay out three I see as possible.

1. STU folds the team, not wanting to throw good money after bad, in it's mind.

2. Hire a coach and try to rebuild knowing that middle of the pack is all we can hope for in 3-5 years. Honestly, one has to admit we do not have the courses to offer at STU, we cannot recruit big numbers of franchise players because of our past history of losing seasons, and we are going up against Universities with history. Most of the top teams have a solid base and only need to bring in a couple each year. This is possible because we have several coaches lying around who would take the salary for three years, pray for success and climb the ladder...may have to fire Eagles to do this

3. Do like the Women's team, assemble three or four guys who have some experience and love to coach. Hire them part time. Lure one proven coach, like Bizz, to oversee the the others, run what practises he can, go to the games, and still run his business and pay him a good stipend. Recruit some local players to create a fan base and climb to the middle and re-evaluate in three years.

That's a pretty fair summary of the current problem butnwould like to add some comments under your 1,2,3.

1.Eagles overspending and mispending did NOT work,it CAN be done observing guidelines and.HAS been accomplished,polished before.so no need to scrap the team.

2.Retain outgoing coach and remove impediments to.him doing the job.SAINT Thomas has an enviable academic situation with existing agreements with UNB tl augment course selections,STU graduates have gone on in engineering,medicine.law and.business.And is no barrier for ANYBODY pursuing their academic goals.

3.NOT a good plan,see #2 comment on this.

- 30 -

Old
06-08-2013, 03:22 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
That's a pretty fair summary of the current problem butnwould like to add some comments under your 1,2,3.

1.Eagles overspending and mispending did NOT work,it CAN be done observing guidelines and.HAS been accomplished,polished before.so no need to scrap the team.

2.Retain outgoing coach and remove impediments to.him doing the job.SAINT Thomas has an enviable academic situation with existing agreements with UNB tl augment course selections,STU graduates have gone on in engineering,medicine.law and.business.And is no barrier for ANYBODY pursuing their academic goals.

3.NOT a good plan,see #2 comment on this.

- 30 -
We have to tone down the rhetoric Rantfather. It won't do anyone any good. All we are doing is making the gap between "us" and "them" bigger and nobody on HF Boards is going to do anything to help it.

Troy can't help us now and I think he would be the first to tell you that. We can't keep pointing fingers. This whole thing is caused by stubbornness and poor communication to begin with.

We are in one hell of a mess now and regardless of who's fault it is, arguing and pointing fingers isn't going to change it. People are taking sides and it could go from bad to worse. We need some cool heads to prevail.

If you want to rant call me. You are always welcome too….but not until after 9 tonight.

Old
06-09-2013, 04:07 AM
cishockeyfan

Maybe someone that knows behind the scenes can be more precise on this. I don't know the facts but I do know something happen behind the scenes with the Grant Harvey Centre that has put STU in the situation it is today to be say "tight" with the Mens Hockey Program.

THe Grant Harvey Center was suppose to Cost STU $__________ as their share. Something happen somewhere in the fine prints and details of the rink between the city and the university that cost STU an unexpected larger amount of Money toward the rink than they had budgeted and planned for.

I don't know the exact $ amounts, but in terms of being tight with the mens program any amount over $ 50,000 is big money and I think it was allot more than that. I don't know who's fault it was, or who screwed who, but as it was told to me back than it sounds like the City screwed the University in the cost of the Rink and someone didn't read the fine print.

Has anyone here heard anything regarding this? Ive heard this from a couple of sources and tried to ask questions but it was all very hush hush at the time. I also did not think it was a big deal at the time cause STU was heading into the Troy Ryan Era and I presumed everything would turn out for the best regardless.

I for one do not think Mike Eagles is doing a good job as AD, I do not think he did a good job running the Mens Hockey team as his best year was when he inherited the team from the prior coach and every season after that STU got worst and worst each year. But I really highly doubt Eagles did anything wrong with expenses and whether Mike overspent or didn't spend at all on the mens program that is not whats effecting the Budget for Todays Team.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:05 AM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Maybe someone that knows behind the scenes can be more precise on this. I don't know the facts but I do know something happen behind the scenes with the Grant Harvey Centre that has put STU in the situation it is today to be say "tight" with the Mens Hockey Program.

THe Grant Harvey Center was suppose to Cost STU $__________ as their share. Something happen somewhere in the fine prints and details of the rink between the city and the university that cost STU an unexpected larger amount of Money toward the rink than they had budgeted and planned for.

I don't know the exact $ amounts, but in terms of being tight with the mens program any amount over $ 50,000 is big money and I think it was allot more than that. I don't know who's fault it was, or who screwed who, but as it was told to me back than it sounds like the City screwed the University in the cost of the Rink and someone didn't read the fine print.

Has anyone here heard anything regarding this? Ive heard this from a couple of sources and tried to ask questions but it was all very hush hush at the time. I also did not think it was a big deal at the time cause STU was heading into the Troy Ryan Era and I presumed everything would turn out for the best regardless.

I for one do not think Mike Eagles is doing a good job as AD, I do not think he did a good job running the Mens Hockey team as his best year was when he inherited the team from the prior coach and every season after that STU got worst and worst each year. But I really highly doubt Eagles did anything wrong with expenses and whether Mike overspent or didn't spend at all on the mens program that is not whats effecting the Budget for Todays Team.
I heard right from the get go that the University was investing over a $M. That was one reason I was criticized here, but it turned out to be right. I would not be surprised if the hush hush of the number was because STU was about to raise student tuition and cry hard times over the Provincial cap on tuition. Also the money put into the rink was primarily for dressing rooms, weight rooms and coaches rooms. Women's program likewise. I assume ice time, game ice etc would be a cost on top of this. I also believe, not certain, that money also went to pay a full time assistant coach. Also some personnel changes happened in STU administration, and the remaining Admin had to look at belt tightening. The men's program used to be the flag ship program at STU and actually made money for the University to support itself and much of the women's program. Because there is no playoff gate money, dwindling fan support money, and little, if any support for female hockey at the gate, plus the money to the GHC, hockey is now a money pit. That is only the financial side. If you look at the AD side, it went from Jennifer, who closely monitored all sports, esp hockey, to Mike, who really was blind to only hockey. Someone once said that coaches were hired to be fired. I think this was the first time that Mike had to rely on someone else(players) for his success in the game. I think it left him bruised when he was fired. He also had no one to mentor him as AD. We are now witnessing what is called a perfect storm and the flagship is battered from all sides.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
AUS Fan

As usual, I will agree with and defer to STUTOMMIES. There has been way too much ranting and finger pointing on the Eagles front. As a long time AUS watcher I am not amused by the train wreck that STU has become. I'm sure the blame can be spread around campus in several directions. The Men's Hockey program has become a bit of a joke and needs help. This won't happen overnight and may never happen if the right people are not in the right places. The alum, boosters, fans all have to pull together, on the same rope, to get the program back on track. Name calling and hysterical accusations don't help the process at all. I wish the best of luck in getting STU hockey up and running again.

Old
06-10-2013, 05:09 AM
cookiecutter

Congrats to local guy Justin Bowers on being named coach of the Slammers! Re all the hub-bub on the Tommies. I think much-a-do has been created by the alumni, the press, and, I can't believe I am saying this, the bagel shop? The official word has been that the Tommies are looking for a new coach, and that should mean another two to three years before the tempest begins again....as for Mike Eagles, that has to be resolved, one way or the other at STU. Not here.....a recruiting we will go!

Old
06-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Rob

Interesting article is yesterday's Gleaner about potential coaching candidate Seamus Gregory. A former STU grad (non-player) who had success coaching in the Junior College Athletic Association down in the US. Last week they had a profile of former Woodstock Slammers coach Jason Tatarnic who is also interested in the position.

My guess is that they will have to hire before the end of the month with recruiting season well under way.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
WilcoxHound

Tatarnic would be a great choice providing it doesn't take him long to adjust to coaching older players.

Old
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Tatarnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Interesting article is yesterday's Gleaner about potential coaching candidate Seamus Gregory. A former STU grad (non-player) who had success coaching in the Junior College Athletic Association down in the US. Last week they had a profile of former Woodstock Slammers coach Jason Tatarnic who is also interested in the position.

My guess is that they will have to hire before the end of the month with recruiting season well under way.
Tatarnic would also be a good candidate, tons of experience in coaching. Loads of experience in recruiting and not to mention a National silver medal with Woodstock's long playoff run 2 seasons ago.
Slammers won the Kent Cup, Fred page Cup and lost the final to Penticton due to 3 consecutive calls in the lthird period of the RBC final. I believe he got Woodstock to the Fred page Cup the year prior to losing the RBC Cup final. He had resources in Woodstock that he may not have at STU, but he could recruit some of the best Jr A across the country, along with some CHL experience to go along with it.
He also has a western connection, a bonus! He and Mcallister would make a nice pairing.
Sign him up!!!

Old
06-12-2013, 06:45 AM
FreddtFoyle

Troy Ryan is the new Coach & GM of the MHL's Campbellton Tigers:

http://www.campbelltontigers.ca/2013...-for-tigers-2/

Closed Thread