HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI/TB] Simon Gagne to Tampa Bay for Matt Walker + '11 4th round pick - Part Deux

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
  #101
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...flyers/1109846

Gagne spoke to 10 teams, so Holmgren wasn't nailed to the cross begging for his life when he took Matt Walker.
It's increasingly clear to me that Holmgren didn't plan on having Gagne on the team next year at all.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:02 PM
  #102
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,598
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
So the Flyers looking for a goalie now? How much cap space they have, and who are they looking at?
Theodore and Turco are the only available options if I recall and neither would command larger than two million, which Philly can afford after this abomination of a trade. I feel for all Flyer fans, this is simply brutal. Here I thought a year back Gainey acquiring Gomez was awful. This trade makes that appear like Gainey traded for bloody Malkin. I am disbelief Gagne was worth Walker and a fourth. My lord, Halak netted more than this.

Maybe a failure year for Philly would be a good thing, so Homer is given the can once and for all. Doubt the team will fail considering the overall talent though.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
  #103
Rainman2408
Registered User
 
Rainman2408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Shafer, your problem is how you handle yourself on this message board. Your posts are so egotistical and narcissistic that it's borderline embarrassing that you still have posting privileges from your employer. You blatantly said I don't know anything about hockey because I laughed at how full of yourself you were saying that Ashton and Smith was a "low" offer. You took it to a personal level, and obviously things like that don't offend me because I didn't make a scene. Hopefully your conduct today can at least make you open your eyes and put a little thought in your posts. Humble pie never hurt anyone.

Rainman2408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:38 PM
  #104
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Yzerman is much smarter then Homer. Its laughable.

Quote:
"I don't look at it that I traded Simon Gagne making $5.25 million," Yzerman said. "I traded a player (Walker) that made roughly $1.65 million, so we're getting a top-six forward for one year (for the difference). If healthy, the dollars going out versus going in, we think we're getting a good player."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...flyers/1109846

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:03 AM
  #105
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'll stop right here.

You know that this is the first time I've actually been proven wrong, and it was because of extreme circumstances that I could not have foreseen involving a player and an organization that made this move for his sake?

I'll eat crow right here. Gagne did not get the return I expected. I was annoyed before, but now hearing why this happened, I'm oddly okay with it. We knew Gagne was gone either this year or the next, and our team is still at least as good as it was last year with some moves left before the end of summer.

So when Meszaros breaks out in Philadelphia over the next two seasons, will you remember this day and come back to eat your crow?
Actually, no, you were wrong before:

1--When you said that Halak would only fetch a 2nd round pick in a trade. He got the equivalent of a 1st and a 3rd.

2--You were wrong in assuming that Philly needed JVR more than they needed Halak. JVR didn't do much in the playoffs as a whole. Halak would have won your team the cup.

3--So far, you have been wrong about Philly improving their goaltending for this upcoming season.

4--You were proven wrong about which goalies you still have in your own system, something a Philly beat writer should know, one would think.

Heck, I won't even get into how wrong you have been in the many incomplete assumptions you make about Canadiens fans.

At least you are willing to eat crow on this one (actually impossible NOT to when the proof is in your face). Maybe you will listen to others when they tell you your GM is in need of some help. In any case, I think the owners in Philly are going to step in and do something. There is no way they let the team go into the season as is. If they do, though, that is great for the rest of the league. As the team is now, it is a heck of a good, competitive team. If Philly actually had a real goaltender, it would be unstoppable. I hope your GM keeps ignoring the goalie position...

You know, Chris, if you were respectful to people on these boards, you wouldn't be getting jumped on by so many others. You might want to look into the mirror to understand where all these attacks are coming from.


Last edited by Drydenwasthebest: 07-20-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added information
Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
  #106
gobolt7
Registered User
 
gobolt7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Florida.
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...flyers/1109846

Gagne spoke to 10 teams, so Holmgren wasn't nailed to the cross begging for his life when he took Matt Walker.
It doesnt say that anywhere in that article.

Here is the quote DIRECTLY from Gagne saying he would only waive for Tampa:

Quote:
"Tampa Bay was the team that was really interesting to myself and that's when we started talking to Steve Yzerman and we able to make something happen with them. I was willing to waive my no-trade clause only for Tampa Bay, not for other teams."
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul...rts-lightning/

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:13 AM
  #107
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually, no, you were wrong before:

1--When you said that Halak would only fetch a 2nd round pick in a trade. He got the equivalent of a 1st and a 3rd.

2--You were wrong in assuming that Philly needed JVR more than they needed Halak. JVR didn't do much in the playoffs as a whole. Halak would have won your team the cup.


3--So far, you have been wrong about Philly improving their goaltending for this upcoming season.

Heck, I won't even get into how wrong you have been in the many incomplete assumptions you make about Canadiens fans.

At least you are willing to eat crow on this one. Maybe you will listen to others when they tell you your GM is in need of some help. In any case, I think the owners in Philly are going to step in and do something. There is no way they let the team go into the season as is.
That is not something you can say as fact.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM
  #108
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
It doesnt say that anywhere in that article.

Here is the quote DIRECTLY from Gagne saying he would only waive for Tampa:



http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul...rts-lightning/
Not to go against you my fellow fan but that was either lip service or it was taken incorrectly.

Quote:
There were a handful of teams, maybe five or six, that Gagne was actually willing to waive his no-trade clause for. That’s it. Gagne was becoming bothered by all the rumors floating around, and at times shielded himself from the distraction.
http://www.csnphilly.com/07/19/10/Bo...982&feedID=704

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
  #109
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
What an embarrasing day to be a Flyers fan... **** that... what an embarrasing summer to be a Flyers fan. I don't understand what was so god damn hard about this Free Agency for Holmgren to get the team to where it is now.

No hate to Tampa. They played it exactly how anyone would have in that situation. In fact I would like to Congratulate Stevie Y for single handedly and repeatedly bending us over and ****ing us in the *** this offseason. If they gave out awards for best reaming of the summer I would personally hand it to him. To all those who said that Gagne wouldn't get that much in a trade, kudos. I am certainly going to cherish Matt Walker and whoever the hell we draft with the 4th round pick for the next 3 years...

Gagne will play great alongside Vinny, I hope he does extremely well and stays injury free. It is exceedingly rare in Philly when a player can be as universally loved as Gagne was (is) for so long - I hope he earns that with the Bolts fans as well. Today Philadelphia lost a hero.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:40 AM
  #110
Parise09*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Shafer, your problem is how you handle yourself on this message board. Your posts are so egotistical and narcissistic that it's borderline embarrassing that you still have posting privileges from your employer. You blatantly said I don't know anything about hockey because I laughed at how full of yourself you were saying that Ashton and Smith was a "low" offer. You took it to a personal level, and obviously things like that don't offend me because I didn't make a scene. Hopefully your conduct today can at least make you open your eyes and put a little thought in your posts. Humble pie never hurt anyone.
Quote for the mother f***ing truth!
It's f***ing pathetic how he's a staff. If he were a normal poster I'd have absolutely no problem with him, but that kind of conduct/ blatant homerism by a STAFF...you've got to be f***ing kidding me, HFBoards. Please fellow posters, report him and make him lose his "staff" position! There are many examples of his "trolling." If everyone bands together and reports him, we can get him off this site!

Viva La Revolution.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:54 AM
  #111
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!
 
Kessel>Seguin +'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
No one really offered more than that? I thought they could at least get a decent prospect who is close to NHL ready

Edit: loving all the Shafer hate, I seriously do not understand how he is still "Staff", he probably has to wipe his infraction list clean once every 20 minutes just so he is able to keep posting

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:56 AM
  #112
timorousme
luongod
 
timorousme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
No one really offered more than that? I thought they could at least get a decent prospect who is close to NHL ready
i love these posts

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:01 AM
  #113
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'll stop right here.

You know that this is the first time I've actually been proven wrong, and it was because of extreme circumstances that I could not have foreseen involving a player and an organization that made this move for his sake?

I'll eat crow right here. Gagne did not get the return I expected. I was annoyed before, but now hearing why this happened, I'm oddly okay with it. We knew Gagne was gone either this year or the next, and our team is still at least as good as it was last year with some moves left before the end of summer.

So when Meszaros breaks out in Philadelphia over the next two seasons, will you remember this day and come back to eat your crow?
Dude, just stop. Please. For all Flyers fans. This is embarrassing.

I don't care that you write for this friggin' website. Congratulations on your accomplishment, seriously. But I have watched you post for over a year now, and your opinion is no more qualified -- and certainly not more worthy -- than that of anyone else on these boards. You're all pompous and dismissive of others, yet it's so blatantly obvious you don't have superior hockey knowledge. At all. Get over yourself already.


Last edited by Amateur Hour: 07-20-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:00 AM
  #114
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 1355
Option B.


PS - can someone explain to me the upside of this trade from Philly's perspective.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:01 AM
  #115
wilty00
Registered User
 
wilty00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kelowna/Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 1004
Oh man, I realize I'm slowpoking on this one but WAT. What kind of a ****ing deal is that?

Edit: 15 minutes later I still can't believe that this wasn't vetoed by some form of upper management in Philly even if they didn't have the authority. It's not even a ****ing salary dump. Every time I learn a new aspect of this deal I'm having a harder time of believing that Holmgren had even seriously considered the trade without howling in laughter first.


Last edited by wilty00: 07-20-2010 at 02:22 AM.
wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:25 AM
  #116
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Option B.


PS - can someone explain to me the upside of this trade from Philly's perspective.
We won't forfeit every game in the 2010-11 season?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:58 AM
  #117
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I see Mez putting up 30 points next year and being a -22 on a good Philly team. If you want to pay a 2nd round pick and 4M a year for the next what 3 years than by all means. Enjoy him.
Nice hyperbole. Meszaros was a -17 last year. The worst Flyer last year was -14. Not happening, especially if he plays next to Pronger or Timonen.

Quote:
Oh and prepare to have every other game take a bit longer for all the glass repairs when his great hard booming slapshot completely misses the net every time and breaks the glass.
Don't worry, the Flyers have Carter. They're used to players missing the net.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:05 AM
  #118
Borlag
Registered User
 
Borlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki, Funland
Country: Finland
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
What I'm wondering is that if Philly really wanted Meszaros, and if Tampa really wanted Gagne, and even more so, if Gagne really wanted to Tampa. Why on earth didn't a trade go through with Gagne for Meszaros? That would've kept the salary problem at bay, and the 2nd round pick would've stayed in Philly as well.

Taking it a bit further, if they really wanted Walker after that, I don't see it as unrealistic to think that he could've been had for much less than that 2nd rounder. Right now it looks as if Holmgren screwed up not once, but twice and he still didn't fix the cap issues, nor did he address the need for a goalie, and even better, he brought in a completely new problem by having a total of 8 NHL defensemen.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:13 AM
  #119
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
What I'm wondering is that if Philly really wanted Meszaros, and if Tampa really wanted Gagne, and even more so, if Gagne really wanted to Tampa. Why on earth didn't a trade go through with Gagne for Meszaros? That would've kept the salary problem at bay, and the 2nd round pick would've stayed in Philly as well.

Taking it a bit further, if they really wanted Walker after that, I don't see it as unrealistic to think that he could've been had for much less than that 2nd rounder. Right now it looks as if Holmgren screwed up not once, but twice and he still didn't fix the cap issues, nor did he address the need for a goalie, and even better, he brought in a completely new problem by having a total of 8 NHL defensemen.
In Holmgren's mind, that's a feature, not a bug.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:15 AM
  #120
Borlag
Registered User
 
Borlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Helsinki, Funland
Country: Finland
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
In Holmgren's mind, that's a feature, not a bug.
After his hockey career, he might have a job for him over at Microsoft then. Or if he wants to stick with game related jobs, maybe at Dice.

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:33 AM
  #121
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
What I'm wondering is that if Philly really wanted Meszaros, and if Tampa really wanted Gagne, and even more so, if Gagne really wanted to Tampa. Why on earth didn't a trade go through with Gagne for Meszaros? That would've kept the salary problem at bay, and the 2nd round pick would've stayed in Philly as well.

Taking it a bit further, if they really wanted Walker after that, I don't see it as unrealistic to think that he could've been had for much less than that 2nd rounder. Right now it looks as if Holmgren screwed up not once, but twice and he still didn't fix the cap issues, nor did he address the need for a goalie, and even better, he brought in a completely new problem by having a total of 8 NHL defensemen.
Because Steve Yzerman is better at this part of his job in the first few months of work than Holmgren s after a few years. I don't think the fact that Gagne only wanted to go to one team helped him, and I'm sure Simon let Yzerman know, so that his new team wasn't sending the farm over for him. Holmgren should've just gotten our second rounder back, and left Matt Walker down there.

What Holmgren should've done is is just trade one of our defenseman and let Gagne play out his contract if that's what it took to not get raked through the coals in a deal.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:35 AM
  #122
Boltsfan2029
Registered User
 
Boltsfan2029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In deleted threads
Country: United States
Posts: 6,281
vCash: 698
Re: Gagne only talking to the Bolts, that's not exactly accurate. Only being willing to waive his NTC for one team doesn't mean he didn't talk to others. From the St. Pete Times:

Quote:
Gagne said his decision to leave the Flyers (the team that made him a 1998 first-round pick and with which he was named to the NHL's 2000 All-Rookie team) was not taken lightly and made only because he had some control of the process.

"The only way I was going to waive my no-trade clause was if the Flyers gave me the okay to talk to other teams," Gagne said, adding he spoke to 10.

He also spoke to Lecavalier.

"He was very excited with the changes the team is making with Yzerman and Guy Boucher, the coach," Gagne said. "Hopefully, we get a chance to play on the same line and do some good stuff."

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:51 AM
  #123
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Because Steve Yzerman is better at this part of his job in the first few months of work than Holmgren s after a few years. I don't think the fact that Gagne only wanted to go to one team helped him, and I'm sure Simon let Yzerman know, so that his new team wasn't sending the farm over for him. Holmgren should've just gotten our second rounder back, and left Matt Walker down there.

What Holmgren should've done is is just trade one of our defenseman and let Gagne play out his contract if that's what it took to not get raked through the coals in a deal.
Let Stevie's teams play a game first before saying that. Holmgren had 1 of teams goes to the ECF and 1 to the Stanley Cup Finals in the span of 3 years.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:51 AM
  #124
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
So what's the over/under of how many games Gagne misses this season. I'll start a 30 considering Gagne has missed 83 games the past 3 seasons.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:53 AM
  #125
Flyersguru
Registered User
 
Flyersguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Re: Gagne only talking to the Bolts, that's not exactly accurate. Only being willing to waive his NTC for one team doesn't mean he didn't talk to others. From the St. Pete Times:
It's 100% accurate that he'd only waive it to Tampa.

Gagne can talk to all the teans he wanted to, but that doesn't it mean he'd waive his NTC to go there.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.