HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Ink Kovalchuk! (17Y 6M) [Kovy Lover Post 1] [Epic Caption Game Post 368]

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I have mixed feelings...

On one hand how can signing an elite sniper to reasonable cap hit long term be a bad thing...

On the the other hand...

Does/Will he fit? Is locking up two Left Wingers the way to build a champion? I would feel more comfortable with an elite center and elite defensemen taking up the first two spots in our payroll...

I'm always cautious about "winning in free agency" -- it typically is never a good thing.

I'm not sure....I don't want to be overly critical for two reasons....First and foremost the Devils have made a major committment and it something we'll have to live with -- the reasonable cap hit makes it more palatable. Second, the team right now is in major flux...It is to hard determine the direction this team is going right now but there seems to be a more clear direction than in years past even though I'm not sure what it is. I'll wait and see how this fleshes out. But there has been a paradigm shift in New Jersey.
We needed that paradigm shift. This gives MacLean a chance to put his own stamp on this team.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:41 AM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Is the press conference going to be streamed on any sites?

Old
07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
We needed that paradigm shift. This gives MacLean a chance to put his own stamp on this team.
I can't say I disagree...When you look at every season from 2004 onward it has just been a big blur.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
I just think the one thing we all will have to realize is there may be some inconsistency from this team in the beginning - new coach, a bunch of new faces, new style probably - it's going to be interesting to see if they come out gangbusters or if they struggle a bit to find themselves.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:53 AM
vtfannjdevils

Just got back from dropping my kids at camp,NHL on XM full of Jersey haters. Lot of callers from Philly. I smell a bit of jealousy.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I don't know what's better...

The fact we have Ilya ****ing Kovalchuk for life...

Or that Lou Lamoriello succeeded in ****ing up the NHL's ****.
Frankly, I'm not happy about the latter, but with Hossa, Zetts, and Pronger, the die was cast.

I LIKE the spirit of the NHL salary cap, in which (theoretically) a team like Columbus can compete against a team like New York.

I HOPE that in the next CBA these BS cap-scams are addressed, because I do not watch Major League Baseball anymore because of the fact that there is no salary cap. Baseball. Is. A. Joke. Hockey is my favorite sport, and I dont wont to see it destroyed like MLB.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Njdevilsfireonice30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
I just think the one thing we all will have to realize is there may be some inconsistency from this team in the beginning - new coach, a bunch of new faces, new style probably - it's going to be interesting to see if they come out gangbusters or if they struggle a bit to find themselves.
I think its going to go pretty well right out of the gate... "on paper" this team threatens to be as dominant as those of the early '00s.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
rest of the league can go **** itself

devils didnt start this mess. teams like chicago, detroit, and Philly did.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
rest of the league can go **** itself

devils didnt start this mess. teams like chicago, detroit, and Philly did.
my feelings exactly. Once you leave the door ajar you can't be surprised when others walk through - to think otherwise is ignorance. Especially when 2 of those teams were in the final last year.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:57 AM
vtfannjdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean Kid 23 View Post
17 years. Holy crap.
"The Rock" will be 20 years old at the end of Kovys contract! Myself....59!

Old
07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Cowbell232

The more I think about this, the more I have something else to say:

The Devils arguably started a big change in the game of hockey in 1993-94.

I think this year will signal the next shift. The Devils are evolving, and I'm very excited to see how. This signing is a huge shift in the way the Devils will play the game.

Do I think they will free-wheel on offense like the Caps? Nope. Do I think they copy the 'Hawks after winning the Cup? Not really. You have two of the best hockey minds EVER behind the bench as assistants, and one hard ass with a will and desire to win for the team as the head coach.

Top 5 in goals for? Maybe not. Top 5 in differential? Probably.

07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15 View Post
I agree. And you probably wont really see what Maclean is trying to accomplish until year 2. It seems to be the pattern of new coaches. It seems to take a full year for the coach to communicate the philosphy....

I would imagine getitng Robinson, Oates et al on the same page is going to take some time as well and who knows how many rookies will be in the lineup.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out like gangbusters initially then go through the growing pains. John Maclean will have to prove his worth in the dog days of the first season January through March.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfannjdevils View Post
Just got back from dropping my kids at camp,NHL on XM full of Jersey haters. Lot of callers from Philly. I smell a bit of jealousy.
Lots of dumb Flyers fans in Northern Vermont too, thanks to that doofus John LeClair.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
HenriquesJawLine

Did anybody read the Burnside article on espn.com? That guy is a complete *********

Old
07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Buggsy

Mmm this season will be interesting. Seems to be a major shift in philosophy and members of the club. Lots of elder contracts come off the books in the next 2 years. It'll be very intriguing to see how many rookies are inserted into the line-up to prepare for that.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

The main board is furious with this deal. I love it.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I agree. Lou recognised that a change needed to be made, and he made it, in a big way. MacLean is getting one of the most potent offences in the league (and probably the most potent in team history) to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njdevilsfireonice30 View Post
I think its going to go pretty well right out of the gate... "on paper" this team threatens to be as dominant as those of the early '00s.
Devils teams generally struggle a bit out of the gate. This team may take a little while to gel. We have several rookies coming in, UFAs unused to the Devils system on defence, and Kovy complicates the lines a bit too, because we don't know what combinations MacLean will try. But hopefully the team will find its feet and become the juggernaut it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
Do I think they will free-wheel on offense like the Caps? Nope. Do I think they copy the 'Hawks after winning the Cup? Not really. You have two of the best hockey minds EVER behind the bench as assistants, and one hard ass with a will and desire to win for the team as the head coach.

I want to see us be the best 5 on 5 team in the league next year. We already know the Devils will always be decent at the PK with our slew of two-way forwards and defensive defencemen, and with Marty in net. Adding Oates, trading for Arnott, and re-signing Kovy should help our PP, at least bringing it to a passable level. So we really should focus on making this a dangerous team at even strength. That's how we'll win.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Colorado Avalanche

You should compare Kovalchuk's contract to someone like Dipietro, Hossa etc.. Very long-term deals in order to see, if it's a good deal. Comparing Kovalchuk's salary to Stastny and others is just stupid, because they have much shorter contracts. Kovalchuk propably gets paid first 10 years 100 million and rest 1 million or whatever. So it's not comparable to other contracts, because that 1 million basically cheats his average cap-hit quite a bit. Obviously he's not going to play 17 years.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Yeah we know. How awesome is that!!!

Old
07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
The more I think about this, the more I have something else to say:

The Devils arguably started a big change in the game of hockey in 1993-94.

I think this year will signal the next shift. The Devils are evolving, and I'm very excited to see how. This signing is a huge shift in the way the Devils will play the game.

Totally agree. And that is why I laugh when people talk like the Devils making sweeping changes or big moves is unprecedented. Lou does not do it every year but he makes the big move and big change when he sees fit.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:18 AM
MountainGoat

vCash:
top 5 offense. guaranteed

Old
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I agree. And you probably wont really see what Maclean is trying to accomplish until year 2. It seems to be the pattern of new coaches. It seems to take a full year for the coach to communicate the philosphy....

I would imagine getitng Robinson, Oates et al on the same page is going to take some time as well and who knows how many rookies will be in the lineup.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out like gangbusters initially then go through the growing pains. John Maclean will have to prove his worth in the dog days of the first season January through March.
And those months have been the teams worst for 4 seasons in a row now. Agreed Mac is going to have his work cut out for him year 1 during that time period.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Is it cheating if the NHL approves it?

Old
07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Ehh....

Old
07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Let's be careful with this. It's possible, but we don't want to end up like certain Rangers fans embarrassed by this statement.

Unless, of course, you're mocking them. In which case, carry on.

Closed Thread