HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Ducks better now than Last Year?

Old
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Gyroduck

vCash: 500
Are the Ducks better now than Last Year?

Just a personal note. Bobby Ryan and his crew are dicks. They are really causing more harm than good for an organization that helped build him to this point.

Okay, so how is this team any better than last year? How will it become better than last year given what is out there? I give hope that there is an Ace up Murray's sleeve, but......

I like to think how teams must be patient so to 're-build', but the OC is not quite the re-build type of area. Just 3 years after a Cup, only half the area are season seat holders, many of which have to share fractions of their holdings.

We have a team that can contend this year and the money to do so. Murray, make something happen!

Thanks for reading my rant.

GyroDuck

Gyroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:11 AM
defer*

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Gyroduck

LOL.

I know. Wife's in bed and no one to whine too. Thanks for that.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Scorey Perry
Ultimate Troll

We have the talent to be a low seeded playoff team, but, it's kind of a hard sell when your most valuable player retires... I kind of look at the current team the same way I did in the late 90's. A couple exciting offensive players and a bright future.

Scorey Perry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Even with Bobby and Teemu i don`t think we are better than last year.
Because of the blueline, mostly.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Gyroduck

Somehow losing Ryan and bringing Chara in could make this team far more interesting. I think something is working in this direction.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Degenerate191

I think we will be a better than last year.

Last year we filled the hole left by Chris Pronger with spare parts, and were banking on Whitney and Wiz to be solid top 4 defensemen, which they were not. Most of us were pretty confident about life after Pronger, when we shouldn't have been.

This year we are losing Niedermayer, and I think the team will be better prepared for losing a Hall of Fame defenseman. Murray has work to do, but I don't believe he's dumb enough to make the same mistake twice.
Two other reasons we will be better: There will be no goaltending controversy. The Giguere/ Hiller suck battle we watched to start last season will not occur. Hiller is our man, and unless he's injured, he starts. That to me will help instill confidence and consistency in our lineup.
Also, Getzlaf will be 100%. He is the backbone of this team, and him being healthy is integral to our success. Last year's hernia definitely affected him during the season, and I think we will see him evolve into the player we know he can be, with the C on his jersey.

Last edited by Degenerate191: 07-20-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Finnpin

Better now than last year? Hmmm isn't it too soon to think about that?

But if we get some more quality d help and Wiz starts to play the way he is asking his contract we should be ok...and with Bobby signed.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Scorey Perry
Ultimate Troll

[QUOTE=Gyroduck;27000068]Somehow losing Ryan and bringing Chara in could make this team far more interesting. I think something is working in this direction.[/QUOTE

I don't see any reason why the B's would trade Chara. He is so valuable to any team that wants to win that they would have to be rebuilding to even consider moving him. Players like Bobby just don't effect the game like a Chara or Pronger.

Scorey Perry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

No we are not better right now. If Murray adds a top 4 defenseman and re-signs both Teemu and Ryan, than definitely IMO. Well I guess it depends who the defenseman is.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:04 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

With a defense of:
Visnovsky-Lydman
Wisniewski-Sbisa
Brookbank-Mikkelson

I'd say we are far and away a much worse team then last year. That is a putrid blueline.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Dirk316

we are looking at a bottom 6 team

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:35 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
People just keeps forgetting how good this team was the 2nd half of last season... Yes we are worse than last year, but that doesn't mean it's a non playoff team. You can't just compare with your own team a year ago, it's nessecary to compare how other teams looks on paper.

Right now, there's about 5-6 teams that looks like locks to make the playoffs (VAN, DET, SJS, LAK, CHI, NAS)... Likely one of them will fail as well. With another top 4 defenseman and a better start than last season this team has a chance to make it...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Paul4587

We're significantly worse on paper than this time last year. A top pairing defenseman could change all that though.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:18 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroduck View Post
LOL.

I know. Wife's in bed and no one to whine too. Thanks for that.
glad i could entertain haha

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
KelVarnsen
Line combos anyone?

The Ducks are worse now

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I think we will be #1 easily!
At the 2011 draft in Minnesota!

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I think we will be #1 easily!
At the 2011 draft in Minnesota!
Don't know, might be hard to beat out the Leafs errr no wait Boston for that pick.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

We are more than two months away from the next season. We still have two RFAs to sign. At this point, we don't really know what the team will be looking like.

That said, the day Scotty Niedermayer retired it was pretty much obvious that the team for next season would look worse on paper. The chances to overcome the loss of a HoF defender are slim. The chances to attract the top FAs as a team that missed the playoffs and works under a budget and therefore can't overpay (even more) to make up for other factors, always were small.

That said - I don't care so much what the team's looking like on paper. Before last season, the Avalanche had a team that looked like a bonafide 1st overall pick contender - that's what many stated, me included, even though I rated Anderson fairly high before the season. Buffalo didn't look that great on paper, either. That's not what matters most once the season starts.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
We are more than two months away from the next season. We still have two RFAs to sign. At this point, we don't really know what the team will be looking like.

That said, the day Scotty Niedermayer retired it was pretty much obvious that the team for next season would look worse on paper. The chances to overcome the loss of a HoF defender are slim. The chances to attract the top FAs as a team that missed the playoffs and works under a budget and therefore can't overpay (even more) to make up for other factors, always were small.

That said - I don't care so much what the team's looking like on paper. Before last season, the Avalanche had a team that looked like a bonafide 1st overall pick contender - that's what many stated, me included, even though I rated Anderson fairly high before the season. Buffalo didn't look that great on paper, either. That's not what matters most once the season starts.
I hope their key to success was Lyd

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Takao
kesbae

Our paper doesn't read Whitney and Eminger anymore, of course we are

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Varius

We will make the playoffs this year.

I'm hoping the team, for once, starts off strong as they should be pissed from missing them last season. Not to mention, they will have had more rest than usual. That way they don't have to play catch up in the second half.

Assuming we have Ryan + Selanne, No Getzlaf injury (hopefully), Lupul (if he bounces back well), Selanne not getting multiple freak injuries, no goaltending controversy as stated above, no Olympic distraction (we did send the most players); I have high hopes for this season.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
We will make the playoffs this year.

I'm hoping the team, for once, starts off strong as they should be pissed from missing them last season. Not to mention, they will have had more rest than usual. That way they don't have to play catch up in the second half.

Assuming we have Ryan + Selanne, No Getzlaf injury (hopefully), Lupul (if he bounces back well), Selanne not getting multiple freak injuries, no goaltending controversy as stated above, no Olympic distraction (we did send the most players); I have high hopes for this season.
Are you banking on Murray to make another move or are you just comfortable with our current D?

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Our D prospects will step up, Getzlaf and hopefully Lupul will be healthy and we won't have a rotating goalie door. The team will also be hungry to get back into the playoffs. So, while not better on paper, they will play better this year.

Just my orange colored view of things, but there's more than enough negativity on this board to make up for that.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Mooseduck

Icebergs dead ahead.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote