HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Ducks better now than Last Year?

Old
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
defer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
We will make the playoffs this year.

I'm hoping the team, for once, starts off strong as they should be pissed from missing them last season. Not to mention, they will have had more rest than usual. That way they don't have to play catch up in the second half.

Assuming we have Ryan + Selanne, No Getzlaf injury (hopefully), Lupul (if he bounces back well), Selanne not getting multiple freak injuries, no goaltending controversy as stated above, no Olympic distraction (we did send the most players); I have high hopes for this season.
What are the odds that all of those things happen though? there are alot of "if's".

Ryan isnt signed yet

Teemu isnt signed yet

Getzlaf may still be feeling the pain, or get hurt again, or god forbid he doesnt rebound and becomes a former elite.

Lupul hasnt even played hockey since like december. who knows if he can produce.

IF Teemu resigns you have to assume he will get injured eventually. He is in his 40s after all.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:19 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
What are the odds that all of those things happen though? there are alot of "if's".

Ryan isnt signed yet

Teemu isnt signed yet

Getzlaf may still be feeling the pain, or get hurt again, or god forbid he doesnt rebound and becomes a former elite.

Lupul hasnt even played hockey since like december. who knows if he can produce.

IF Teemu resigns you have to assume he will get injured eventually. He is in his 40s after all.
Same could be said about what you said

You'd have to assume its somewhere inbetween as your both looking at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Me personally, I'm calm about this season, probably because I'm hoping some of our gun D prospects will be coming into the team in a year or two

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Same could be said about what you said

You'd have to assume its somewhere inbetween as your both looking at extreme ends of the spectrum.

Me personally, I'm calm about this season, probably because I'm hoping some of our gun D prospects will be coming into the team in a year or two
I feel the same way. I was glad to see that Bob didnt throw any crazy contracts at Dmen this offseason. i think the Lydman pickup was great. I just think that we need to bank on our prospects. that does not mean throw them in the action this year but maybe just have 2 more mediocre years and then hopefully we will get 2 or 3 of them that are ready.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
I feel the same way. I was glad to see that Bob didnt throw any crazy contracts at Dmen this offseason. i think the Lydman pickup was great. I just think that we need to bank on our prospects. that does not mean throw them in the action this year but maybe just have 2 more mediocre years and then hopefully we will get 2 or 3 of them that are ready.
Yeah I would hate to of seen us end up with some horrible contract for a D-man just because we need one.

Yep, I'd be content with a couple of meh years, if it meant the likes of Fowler, Clark, Vatanen etc are ready for NHL

Old
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I understand that seeing Sbisa getting sent down last year left a mark for people. I think he'll be on the Ducks, without much of a doubt.

What I find almost as interesting is that even Murray's own comments are ingored concerning Fowler. The Ducks have traditionally taken their time developing players, but Murray pretty much stated they realized things have changed and they needed young guys to contribute. I expect Fowler to put in a lot of work and to work very hard with Scott and I would not be shocked to see him on the team next season - and noone should be given the comments by our GM himself.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I understand that seeing Sbisa getting sent down last year left a mark for people. I think he'll be on the Ducks, without much of a doubt.

What I find almost as interesting is that even Murray's own comments are ingored concerning Fowler. The Ducks have traditionally taken their time developing players, but Murray pretty much stated they realized things have changed and they needed young guys to contribute. I expect Fowler to put in a lot of work and to work very hard with Scott and I would not be shocked to see him on the team next season - and noone should be given the comments by our GM himself.
Never saw what Murray said about Fowler, but that makes things interesting. I've love to see Fowler playing this season in a Ducks uniform.

If Fowler does come in, I presume that would mean we won't be seeing Wiz back in a Ducks uniform, unless Sbisa is in the AHL come the first game

Old
07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Never saw what Murray said about Fowler, but that makes things interesting. I've love to see Fowler playing this season in a Ducks uniform.

If Fowler does come in, I presume that would mean we won't be seeing Wiz back in a Ducks uniform, unless Sbisa is in the AHL come the first game
I would be hard-pressed to believe that we won't see Fowler on the Ducks and Sbisa in the AHL - Sbisa is probably not significantly less ready than Fowler and having a younger kid that could still play juniors (the way he was forced to last season) up there and him being demoted again would be too much of a slap in the face, or rather a full-blown roundhouse kick to the nuts for a good, hard-working kid.

But yeah, if they are both up there, I wouldn't be too sure where to put Wis. He's going to make too much to be on a bottom pairing, obviously. But all that's pretty tough to project at this point...

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I would be hard-pressed to believe that we won't see Fowler on the Ducks and Sbisa in the AHL - Sbisa is probably not significantly less ready than Fowler and having a younger kid that could still play juniors (the way he was forced to last season) up there and him being demoted again would be too much of a slap in the face, or rather a full-blown roundhouse kick to the nuts for a good, hard-working kid.

But yeah, if they are both up there, I wouldn't be too sure where to put Wis. He's going to make too much to be on a bottom pairing, obviously. But all that's pretty tough to project at this point...
Yeah I agree, couldn't see Sbisa in the AHL, and as far as I know, he's put on a fair bit of weight in the last few months which is good news.

Looks like it will be a interesting couple of months for the Ducks, regardless if there is anymore trades/FA signings etc or not.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Varius

Quote:

Ryan isnt signed yet

Teemu isnt signed yet

ODDS (IMO):

Ryan re-signing: Very Good
Selanne signing: Good
Lupul bouncing back: 50/50
Getzlaf having a monster year: Very Good
Selanne avoiding "freak" injuries: Good
No goaltending distraction: 100%
No Olympic distraction: 100%

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Are you banking on Murray to make another move or are you just comfortable with our current D?
I do think he will make one final move before the season starts, to bring in another second-pairing guy (whether that is re-signing Wiz, or getting a Bieksa type). I honestly don't see him getting the #2 type we need, though.

Our team is going to have to play like one, though. Similar to when Carolina won the Cup, they didn't have any superstar defensemen, but their guys all meshed and played well together. That's what we need to happen this season.

The young guys like Sbisa should have their chance to earn their spot and I for one, think Sbisa will do just that. He seems extremely motivated and I'm sure the Olympics gave him some good experience.

Vis - Lydman
Wiz/Bieksa/Other - Sbisa
Brookbank - Mikkelson/Festerling/Clark/Mitera

Is that really that much worse than whatever mix of D was used form this bunch:

Wesley, Ward, F. Kaberle, Hedican, Babchuk, Wallin, Hutchinson, Commodore, Tverdovsky

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Yeah I would hate to of seen us end up with some horrible contract for a D-man just because we need one.

Yep, I'd be content with a couple of meh years, if it meant the likes of Fowler, Clark, Vatanen etc are ready for NHL
We can't really afford to have two meh years, Getzlaf and Perry only have 3 years left on their contracts before they sign huge raises or leave for good.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
Vis - Lydman
Wiz/Bieksa/Other - Sbisa
Brookbank - Mikkelson/Festerling/Clark/Mitera

Is that really that much worse than whatever mix of D was used form this bunch:

Wesley, Ward, F. Kaberle, Hedican, Babchuk, Wallin, Hutchinson, Commodore, Tverdovsky
Defensively it is much worse. Offensively it's about the same.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
Despite unloading some dead bodies like Whitney and Eminger I don't see this team better than last year.

No Nieds sucks.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
As of this moment, Anaheim is worse.

Offensively, the team is about the same. If everyone is healthy, we might be looking at a slight improvement offensively.

Defensively... I can't look at the blue line without wincing. We lost Niedermayer, and the only true addition we've had since losing him is Lydman. That doesn't even begin to replace Niedermayer. Another good top 4 defenseman(preferrably one who is good in our own end and not just offensively) might put Anaheim at, or slightly ahead of where they were last season, but it won't be a significant improvement.

In net, well, that depends on what our blue line looks like. Hiller is a goalie I feel very confident in, but he struggled at times last season with a weak blue line. If we have a weak blue line again(or, God forbid, a weaker one), I expect that to happen again.

The one thing that could get Anaheim into the playoffs is if they are healthy. They had some tough injuries last season that may have made the difference between making the playoffs, and not making the playoffs. But the simple truth is injuries happen. You have to expect them... and I just don't know if Anaheim has the depth to handle them this season.

I think this team will be, at best, a bottom seed playoff team. Without the likes of Pronger and Niedermayer, this isn't a team I'd feel particularly confident with in the playoffs. In the past Anaheim was always a threat in the playoffs, no matter where they finished. Pronger, Niedermayer, Getzlaf, Perry, and either Giguere or Hiller. You could have faith that things would go well with some of those players. They just don't have the same kind of big game talent anymore, not stretched throughout the whole line-up. To me, I see Anaheim as a team that could, maybe, make the playoffs but will get knocked out in the 1st round. I just don't think they will be any kind of threat in the playoffs, if they make it at all.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:54 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

Offensively, the team is about the same. If everyone is healthy, we might be looking at a slight improvement offensively.

Defensively... I can't look at the blue line without wincing. We lost Niedermayer, and the only true addition we've had since losing him is Lydman. That doesn't even begin to replace Niedermayer. Another good top 4 defenseman(preferrably one who is good in our own end and not just offensively) might put Anaheim at, or slightly ahead of where they were last season, but it won't be a significant improvement.

In net, well, that depends on what our blue line looks like. Hiller is a goalie I feel very confident in, but he struggled at times last season with a weak blue line. If we have a weak blue line again(or, God forbid, a weaker one), I expect that to happen again.

The one thing that could get Anaheim into the playoffs is if they are healthy. They had some tough injuries last season that may have made the difference between making the playoffs, and not making the playoffs. But the simple truth is injuries happen. You have to expect them... and I just don't know if Anaheim has the depth to handle them this season.

I think this team will be, at best, a bottom seed playoff team. Without the likes of Pronger and Niedermayer, this isn't a team I'd feel particularly confident with in the playoffs. In the past Anaheim was always a threat in the playoffs, no matter where they finished. Pronger, Niedermayer, Getzlaf, Perry, and either Giguere or Hiller. You could have faith that things would go well with some of those players. They just don't have the same kind of big game talent anymore, not stretched throughout the whole line-up. To me, I see Anaheim as a team that could, maybe, make the playoffs but will get knocked out in the 1st round. I just don't think they will be any kind of threat in the playoffs, if they make it at all.
I agree to an extent but I think that if you look at every team we have had since the cup, including all of the changes to the roster every year, we are a second half team and i think that is the coaching not the players. You have to look at the common denominator through those seasons. we have changed GMs and players but never coaching staff.

start-dec jan-end
07-08: 19-17-5 28-10-3
08-09: 19-15-4 23-18-3
09-10: 16-17-7 23-15-4

Old
07-23-2010, 04:56 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

I agree to an extent but I think that if you look at every team we have had since the cup, including all of the changes to the roster every year, we are a second half team and i think that is the coaching not the players. You have to look at the common denominator through those seasons. we have changed GMs and players but never coaching staff.

start-dec // jan-end
07-08: 19-17-5 // 28-10-3
08-09: 19-15-4 // 23-18-3
09-10: 16-17-7 // 23-15-4

Old
07-23-2010, 04:57 AM
defer*

woops haha