HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If another team signs Marc Staal to a 5M+ Offer Sheet...?

Old
07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
This would screw us so hard. Man I hope it doesn't happen.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
This would screw us so hard. Man I hope it doesn't happen.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean he's likely going to sign a contract in the mid 4M anyway, right? I'd sign Staal right now to a 10 year 50M deal. But he likely wouldn't take it.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I wouldn't go that far. I mean he's likely going to sign a contract in the mid 4M anyway, right? I'd sign Staal right now to a 10 year 50M deal. But he likely wouldn't take it.
I'd do that, as well. Overpay for 2-3 years to probably have a discount for 7-8? Fine by me.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
lesclassic

For those intrested, here is the compensation breakdown. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=63234

If I were a team expecting to not get a first round pick till late and could use a steady D-Man(looking at you Ovie & Gang), I'd consider offering Marc $4,637,944, losing the picks wouldn't really hurt, and since the Rangers have less than 500,000 in Cap space, they'd have to move someone out or bury Redden to make it work.

Granted, I'm a Carolina man myself, so I wouldn't want to see Washington with Green and a solid stay at home guy.

lesclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

still nothing on Staal?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Black Tank

A 1st, 2d and 3d is not worth it. Staal has already faced some of the best players in the world at 23. There is no guarantee that a 17 year old drafted with these picks would even make the AHL, much less the big show, much less as anything more than a third liner or bottom pairing guy.

Redden and White need to be sent down and any offer on Staal matched.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesclassic View Post
For those intrested, here is the compensation breakdown. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=63234

If I were a team expecting to not get a first round pick till late and could use a steady D-Man(looking at you Ovie & Gang), I'd consider offering Marc $4,637,944, losing the picks wouldn't really hurt, and since the Rangers have less than 500,000 in Cap space, they'd have to move someone out or bury Redden to make it work.

Granted, I'm a Carolina man myself, so I wouldn't want to see Washington with Green and a solid stay at home guy.
Staal and Semin on the same team? They could start their own bongo band.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesclassic View Post

And the Rangers would match that, call it a bargain and happily send Redden down to cover the overage.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
No one will cross Glen Sather.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXPLAY View Post
staal is worth it you keep him no matter what
Word! And Sather will match any offer sheet! Thread can be closed

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:39 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
No one will cross Glen Sather.
I agree... and this is a big reason why I feel Sather is one of the better GM's in the
business. He is very crafty with his trades and demands a lot of respect around the
league.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
pwoz

If anyone offers Staal a huge deal (if Slats can't do it in time), I hope it's at least a lottery team.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I agree... and this is a big reason why I feel Sather is one of the better GM's in the
business
. He is very crafty with his trades and demands a lot of respect around the
league.
Really?

He should have taken care of Staal first....Staal is a core player...a young top pairing defenseman which is quite the commodity...a guy that a competent GM would build his team around...instead Sather shells out $1.6+ million for Boogaard.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Really?

He should have taken care of Staal first....Staal is a core player...a young top pairing defenseman which is quite the commodity...a guy that a competent GM would build his team around...instead Sather shells out $1.6+ million for Boogaard.

Entirely different scenarios. As an RFA without leverage, Staal was always going to be an end of offseason signing. Most RFA's don't sign until after UFA's anyway, since offer sheets are rare and teams have the ability to match, there is no reason to rush.

Slats is playing this one correctly. Staal has no leverage so Slats gives him two options. 4-5 mil per if he's willing to give up a few years of UFA, or 2-3 mil per if Staal insists on a 2-3 year deal.

The other interesting aspect for Staal is the upcoming CBA. Say Staal turns down 5 mil per for the chance to go to free agency in 3 seasons. But in 3 seasons the league will be early on in the next CBA which is probably going to involve some sort of cap ceiling rollback. At that point, shut down defensemen with limited offensive upside might only be getting 3-4 mil on the open market, and Staal will have actually cost himself money by not taking the long term deal currently on the table.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Since Staal has no options other than signing an offer sheet, Sather can afford to give the Boogaards and the Reddens all this money and then haggle with Staal for 1 million bucks.

That being said, I don't agree with this position Sather takes. Stop giving these guys the big money and stop lowballing your RFA's. Just lock them up for christs sake unless they are asking for an exorbitant contract. I don't think close to 5m for a guy that will be playing for Team Canada next olympics is exorbitant.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:46 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Since Staal has no options other than signing an offer sheet, Sather can afford to give the Boogaards and the Reddens all this money and then haggle with Staal for 1 million bucks.

That being said, I don't agree with this position Sather takes. Stop giving these guys the big money and stop lowballing your RFA's. Just lock them up for christs sake unless they are asking for an exorbitant contract. I don't think close to 5m for a guy that will be playing for Team Canada next olympics is exorbitant.

This was my point. Staal should be a player that the team treats well and takes care of. He should be a priority and should have been signed beforehand unless his demands are ridiculous as you say.

It doesn't look good to nickel and dime the Dubinsky's and Staal's. The team should give them the money and keep them happy.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXPLAY View Post
staal is worth it you keep him no matter what
He's the anchor of our blueline.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

My responses here keep getting deleted so I'll take out anything that could be considered offensive to the OP or anyone on here that's freaking out.

This is pointless speculation. No team is offering Staal that offer sheet. Sather knows this. He's not signed yet because Sather plays hardball with RFAs. I'm sure he would have liked to sign him day one, but that's not how these things always work. Sometimes you need to let time pass to use certain events (such as the start of camp, preseason, etc) as leverage.

And please don't make me post how infrequent Offer Sheets occur and how they never are for defensive dmen like Staal again...

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 03:47 PM
mullichicken25

there is no foreseable offer sheet that the rangers dont match

If any GM made one it would pretty much just be a gift to Marc or an attempt to screw sather...cause he's not going anywhere

so in other words, an offer sheet's not coming

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I don't understand this. Marc has no leverage. He still has 4 years before he is UFA eligible, yet he wants to be paid like one on a shorter RFA contract.

The reported offer flying around was 27 million over 6 years, with a $4.5 million cap hit each year. That buys the Rangers two of Marc's UFA years, by the end of which he'll be able to get another nice pay day if he keeps up his current pay.

Instead, Marc and his agent are playing hardball right back at Sather and are probably demanding upwards of $5 million on a deal shorter than six years. I'll be floored if Sather actually concedes to this and gives Marc even one of his concessions in a shorter term deal or a higher salary. I think 6 years and 27 million dollars is more than fair for a defenseman, while playing great in his own end, that has never scored more than 30 points in his career.

Sign the contract Marc.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 01:36 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
no ones offered him anything anyway and hes been a RFA for almost 2 months im not too worried here

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:48 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Instead, Marc and his agent are playing hardball right back at Sather and are probably demanding upwards of $5 million on a deal shorter than six years.
Baseless speculation

I guess people are gonna start hating on Staal too and including him in every trade proposal now?

You have no idea what numbers are being thrown back and forth, so why characterize either side as the bad guy? It's a business. This is a business transaction. It will get done, one way or another.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Both sides haven't commented on the status of talks. Usually one side leaks contract terms and proposals. The Rangers and Staal's agents Paul Krepelka/Rick Curran have been silent. Sather made his "chasm" comment at the draft and hasn't said another word. Staal didn't say much in late July when he spoke to his local Thunder Bay paper.

Staal is a group II with no arb rights. According to Larry Brooks,the Rangers want to sign Staal to a long term deal. Buying out his group II and two(at least) of his group III years. 6 years. Erik Johnson,David Perron and Steve Downie signed 2 year deals. Devon Setoguchi signed a 1 year deal. Group II's w/no arb rights.

Edmonton wants to re-sign Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano to short term deals but they want long term deals. Colorado hasn't signed Chris Stewart and Peter Mueller. James Neal has not re-signed with the Stars.

Anaheim wants to re-sign Bobby Ryan to a long term deal.

Quote:
Ryan did confirm that the length of the contract is the major sticking point. The Ducks have tabled offers of five years at $5 million per season and four years at an average of $4.65 million annually, which have been turned down as the winger to this point has been hesitant to sign a contract for more than three years.
http://ducks.ocregister.com/2010/08/...a-trade/42767/

Ryan feels he will be worth more than $5 million per after the third year of the contract.

Krepelka requested 4 years between $3.5-$4 million. 4 years/$14-$16 million.

Rangers offered 4 years/$14 million.

Brooks reported those numbers in late June/early July.

If the Rangers want to sign Staal to a deal longer than 4 years,what is the number?

$4.25-$4.75 million? How much more can Staal get when his puck skills/offensive ability isn't top notch? Offensive defensemen get the big dollars. Kenny Holland theory.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:47 PM
AJRanger

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...l-with-rangers

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Great to know.

How long can a player be an RFA until he can be considered a UFA?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote