HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At least homer aint the worst g.m. in the league!!

Old
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
pfoppa21

vCash: 500
At least homer aint the worst g.m. in the league!!

We can always be thankful that there's daryl sutter to take that honor Sure losing Gagne hurt's but i can live with Zheredev because of his upside and he has averaged 55 points a year at the N.H.L level and Mesarozj with a good core around him will be an efficient d man who moves the puck and can bang people.

pfoppa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoppa21 View Post
Mesarozj
Who?

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Who?
Mesarozj

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:07 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Mesarozj
Hmm, dont know him.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Terence Peterman

False. Paul Holmgren is, at best, tied for worst GM in the league.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Viller

Hes far far far fromt the worst. We wouldn't have reached the ECF twice in 3 years if he was.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
We can always be thankful that there's daryl sutter to take that honor Sure losing Gagne hurt's but i can live with Zheredev because of his upside and he has averaged 55 points a year at the N.H.L level and Mesarozj with a good core around him will be an efficient d man who moves the puck and can bang people.
You know who can bang people? Steve Yzerman, ask Paul Holmgren about it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
False. Paul Holmgren is, at best, tied for worst GM in the league.
Explain the last 3 years then. If he was that bad, we would have never got out of the basement in 1 year.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Explain the last 3 years then. If he was that bad, we would have never got out of the basement in 1 year.
yes they would have. The core was already in place. Do yo think it takes a good GM with over 20mm in cap space to go and overpay 3 free agents? He is a buffoon who cintinues year after year ti still not understand how to manage a cap. What is that saying about when you keep making the same mistakes

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I can do that too.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Right, and that totally justifies his exceptional rate of painfully blatant asset and cap ****. Not mangement, ****.

This team continues to succeed despite its leadership. It was them against John Stevens, and now it's them against Paul Holmgren. I don't know how much longer they can last, because if following Holmgren's moves is as mentally exhausting as it's been here, it's got to be worse for the guys actually on the team.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:26 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Hes far far far fromt the worst. We wouldn't have reached the ECF twice in 3 years if he was.
Its really not that hard to throw money at players....

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

He's far from the very worst but I do think like Muckler did in Ottawa (and with way fewer obstacles and less success in the draft) he got fat off his own success quickly. Handed out too many NTCs and NMCs, not smart for someone who clearly planned to juggle numbers and massage the cap to tinker from year to year.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its really not that hard to throw money at players....
You are truely ****ing stupid if you believe that throwing money is the only thing it takes to entice players to come to your last place team.

Look around the league sir.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
yes they would have. The core was already in place. Do yo think it takes a good GM with over 20mm in cap space to go and overpay 3 free agents? He is a buffoon who cintinues year after year ti still not understand how to manage a cap. What is that saying about when you keep making the same mistakes
When Holmgrem inherited the team, he had Richards, Carter, Gagne and Giroux in the system. He didn't do anything to acquire JVR as we were the worst team in the league.

Oh, dont forget we also had almost all our own picks, and tons of cap space.

Since that time, Richards and Carter turned to studs, he dumped Gagne for next to nothing, he signed Briere, Timonen and Hartnell as FA (none of their deals are overly cap friendly either) and he brought up JVR and Giroux while sending Lupul, Sbisa (1st round pick) and 2 first rounders for Pronger. Oh, and he traded a 1st rounder for Eminger.

He has also traded away almost every 2nd round pick we have had in years.

We made the ECF and SCF because we had a good core and tons of cap space, not because Homer did anything special. In fact, our beloved SCF team was 0.500 in the regular season. 41-35-6.

So basically, anyone on these boards could make those moves. Homer has drained our prospect pool dry, we haven't had a good draft pick in YEARS and are right against the cap with waiver wire Leighton and Boucher in net.

Please tell me how Homer is a good GM. It's almost like he is an awful GM and the team wins to spite him.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
You are truely ****ing stupid if you believe that throwing money is the only thing it takes to entice players to come to your last place team.

Look around the league sir.
How about you look at that offseason in the context of the franchise? Do you really think any player around the league thought the Flyers were going to sit back for a few years as they attempted a rebuild that wasn't even guaranteed for success? And it's not like there was nothing enticing about that team.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
When Holmgrem inherited the team, he had Richards, Carter, Gagne and Giroux in the system. He didn't do anything to acquire JVR as we were the worst team in the league.

Since that time, Richards and Carter turned to studs, he dumped Gagne for next to nothing, he signed Briere, Timonen and Hartnell as FA (none of their deals are overly cap friendly either) and he brought up JVR and Giroux while sending Lupul, Sbisa (1st round pick) and 2 first rounders for Pronger. Oh, and he traded a 1st rounder for Eminger.

We made the ECF and SCF because we had a good core and tons of cap space, not because Homer did anything special. In fact, our beloved SCF team was 0.500 in the regular season. 41-35-6.

So basically, anyone on these boards could make those moves. Homer has drained our prospect pool dry, we haven't had a good draft pick in YEARS and are right against the cap with waiver wire Leighton and Boucher in net.

Please tell me how Homer is a good GM. It's almost like he is an awful GM and the team wins to spite him.
Nice post. Any time someone asks why Homer is such a bad GM or why we hate him so much, I should just point out this post and then point out how this off-season has gone.

If you look at the positives that this team has going for it, literally the only things Homer are responsible for are Briere, Pronger, Timonen, and Hartnell. He just threw money at three of the four and ****ed up trying to cheat and give Pronger a front-loaded contract. The rest of the core was just handed to him. He inherited them.

If you look over his career and at the moves that he's done and the players that he's acquired, then it's really, really bad. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if someone called Homer the worst GM in the league. In fact, I might almost agree with it.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
LOL@ the went to the Cup Final this year and ECF 2 years ago arguement.
just **** already.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Viller

edit: not even worth it.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Until last year, specifically the deadline, Darryl Sutter wasn't that bad of a GM. He was bringing in guys like Tanguay, Cammalleri, Jokinen and Bouwmeester on a yearly basis to keep his team competitive.

However, it all fell apart when he dealt Phaneuf and got a terrible return for him.

The Jokinen trade I can kind of understand, given that he and Phaneuf were apparently viewed as detriments to the team.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Do you really think we would have been as successful if not for those moves? I don't know what to say if you think so. This team goes nowhere without Timonen and Pronger. I dont think we even make the playoffs. But hey, we'd have first round picks, yay!

edit: Gagne is the only player Holmgren had nothing to do with, sorry buddy.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Nice post. Any time someone asks why Homer is such a bad GM or why we hate him so much, I should just point out this post and then point out how this off-season has gone.

If you look at the positives that this team has going for it, literally the only things Homer are responsible for are Briere, Pronger, Timonen, and Hartnell. He just threw money at three of the four and ****ed up trying to cheat and give Pronger a front-loaded contract. The rest of the core was just handed to him. He inherited them.

If you look over his career and at the moves that he's done and the players that he's acquired, then it's really, really bad. I honestly wouldn't have a problem if someone called Homer the worst GM in the league. In fact, I might almost agree with it.
Paul Holmgrem's record

Crap
Botch Pronger's contract
Re-sign Randy Jones for 2 years $2.75per
Recall Randy Jones, lose him to LA, pay half his salary for the '09-'10 season
Trade Upshall AND a 2nd for Carcillo
Trade a first to overpay Timonen, Hartnell
Give Briere a NMC
Trade Ryan Parent for ..... Hamhuis
Trade every first round and second round pick he has ever seen except 2007 1st (JVR)
Trade Gauthier AND a 2nd for ... nothing.
Trade Gagne for Matt Walker
Trade a 1st for Steve Eminger
Trade for Meszaros when we had no cap room
Sign Jody Shelley
Jody Shelley? WTF?
Let Knuble go to Washington
NO ****ing GOALIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid
Trade for Pronger
Waive Randy Jones
Trade Pitkanen for Smith and Lupul
Trade for and re-sign Carcillo (I put this here because I know everyone loves him)
Re-sign Richards to good cap hit long term
Sign Timonen, Briere and Hartnell in FA
Didn't trade Giroux? (I'm reaching for good stuff now)
Trade Eminger and Downie for Carle (yikes, not so solid since Downie is doing well in Tampa)
Fire Stevens
Draft Luuko's kid? (I hope he is good, I really do, I want the kid to prove us all wrong)

Feel free to add more. This list needs to be more complete.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Terence Peterman

This thread is such a joke. Anyone arguing Holmgren isn't the worst GM in the league might as well argue "at least my dick didn't catch fire when I opened the oven yesterday."

It's not a victory that we don't have the clear-cut worst GM in the league (if that's your opinion), just like it wasn't a victory when the Rangers signed Boogard to more money than Shelley got. Seriously, give your heads a good ****ing shake and hope the stupid falls out.

Old
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
This thread is such a joke. Anyone arguing Holmgren isn't the worst GM in the league might as well argue "at least my dick didn't catch fire when I opened the oven yesterday."
To be fair, I'm always happy when this is the case.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

It's not a victory that we don't have the clear-cut worst GM in the league (if that's your opinion), just like it wasn't a victory when the Rangers signed Boogard to more money than Shelley got. Seriously, give your heads a good ****ing shake and hope the stupid falls out.
Sather and Sutter are both pretty awful GM's, but Homer FAILS HARD with asset management.