HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Green's Next Contract

Old
01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Cannonball0828

vCash: 500
Mike Green's Next Contract

In a really thin FA class, Mike Green might get a big payday. I know he's been injured quite a bit the past few years and his numbers have dropped a bit, but it seems like his play has been better recently?

Could it be something like 7 x 7?

Cannonball0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Arthuros

vCash: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball0828 View Post
In a really thin FA class, Mike Green might get a big payday. I know he's been injured quite a bit the past few years and his numbers have dropped a bit, but it seems like his play has been better recently?

I feel like there couldn't possibly a team that would be willing to give him that kind of term and money...

Which means Edmonton is probably in on the sweepstakes.

Arthuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

There's about 9 years worth of this topic on the Caps board. Green has expressed a desire to resign in DC and some in the know out there think he'd be willing to take a paycut to stay. I just don't know if it makes sense to bring him back, even if he does take a paycut. Connor Carrick is ready for a slot, and Madison Bowey won't be too far behind. Dmitry Orlov also prefers RD. We could use his salary on a Vermette or Soderberg and to resign some of the many UFAs (Fehr, Beagle) and RFAs (Kuznetsov, Holtby, Johansson).

I think he'll sign some where for 4-5 years at 6.5-7. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if it was with Detroit. I think he'd light it up there.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
There's about 9 years worth of this topic on the Caps board. Green has expressed a desire to resign in DC and some in the know out there think he'd be willing to take a paycut to stay. I just don't know if it makes sense to bring him back, even if he does take a paycut. Connor Carrick is ready for a slot, and Madison Bowey won't be too far behind. Dmitry Orlov also prefers RD. We could use his salary on a Vermette or Soderberg and to resign some of the many UFAs (Fehr, Beagle) and RFAs (Kuznetsov, Holtby, Johansson).

I think he'll sign some where for 4-5 years at 6.5-7. Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if it was with Detroit. I think he'd light it up there.
Yeah, they have been rumored to be interested in trading for him for quite some time now.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 10:20 AM
txpd

Mike Green ranks 19th in scoring from defense and is the only player on the top 30 front page with under 40 games(38). He ranks 8th in points per game and had 15pts in his last 16 games. He has the same number of esp as Drew Doughty in 9 fewer game to rank 14th.

Carrick or Bowey or Orlov or Schmidt are no more likely to approach his production than the 95% of the already established NHL defensemen that can't. If you can get the guy on a contract, you do it.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Perro

Quote:

someone will give him more than $6M a year, not sure if it will be for more than 5 years though

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Johnny GODreau

vCash: 2542
Probably around 7m-7.5m. Around 5-6 years.

Johnny GODreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Frank Drebin

Green will most definitely get 6+ per year. No doubt.

I do see a shorter term (3-5yr?) though.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:04 AM
buttman

Quote:

Regret is the only word that comes to mind.

buttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Mike Green ranks 19th in scoring from defense and is the only player on the top 30 front page with under 40 games(38). He ranks 8th in points per game and had 15pts in his last 16 games. He has the same number of esp as Drew Doughty in 9 fewer game to rank 14th.
Congratulations to Mike Green for being so injury prone?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

The best dman to likely hit the market will result in a big payday.

At least a dozen teams would be interested in him

seven years at seven million and not a penny less.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Mark Kandy

Yep I think 7 x 7 is the kind of deal he's gonna get. If we take a look at Niskanen and Orpik's contracts, considering they are less attractive players for teams, 7 x 7 is realistic.

Mark Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:33 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
The best dman to likely hit the market will result in a big payday.

At least a dozen teams would be interested in him

seven years at seven million and not a penny less.
Easily.

Brian Campbell got 8 years at $7mil+ at about the same age and Mike Green is a much more accomplished and simply better player than Campbell was at the time IMO. Also that was when the Salary Cap was considerably smaller so that amount took a larger portion of it.

Elite puck moving Dman hitting the open market will easily make this. Unless he wants to stay with the Caps and the Caps want him then I'm sure he will take a discount.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:34 AM
RedHot

Flames could throw a decent chunk of change his way

RedHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
I'd offer 6x6. He would fit Hartleys system perfectly, and he'd the perfect guy to be running that 2nd pairing.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Johnny GODreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
I'd offer 6x6. He would fit Hartleys system perfectly, and he'd the perfect guy to be running that 2nd pairing.
I'd offer him more(7m-7.5m), simply because management went stupid on Engelland's contract.

Gio-Brodie
Wotherspoon-Green
Russell-Wideman

Solid, mobile d-corps.

Old
01-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Chukcha

It looks like the situation with Niskanen and the pens last summer. The pens wanted him to stay in Pittsburgh but for less money. They couldn't afford to resign him for more than 4M (which they later spent on Ehrhoff).

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball0828;96092499[B
]In a really thin FA class[/B], Mike Green might get a big payday. I know he's been injured quite a bit the past few years and his numbers have dropped a bit, but it seems like his play has been better recently?

Except for the fact there's a bunch of solid D, many of whom are better than Green. Martin, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Petry are all PMD I'd look at before looking at Green. Then there's Beauchmein, Franson and Methot. I don't see Green "cashing in". He'll probably get something in the 5m range, simply as that's what his career and what top 4D regularly earn. But I'd be hard pressed to give him that - and would give that to every one of those I named before I'd give it to him.

01-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Chukcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny GODreau View Post
I'd offer him more(7m-7.5m), simply because management went stupid on Engelland's contract.

Gio-Brodie
Wotherspoon-Green
Russell-Wideman

Solid, mobile d-corps.
wouldn't it be a disaster to have two turnover machines on the same roster? (Green&Wideman)

Old
01-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Johnny GODreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
wouldn't it be a disaster to have two turnover machines on the same roster? (Green&Wideman)
Worked well for the Capitals.

In all seriousness, neither of them will be top pairing. They should be fine.

Old
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Chukcha

if i were GMBM i'd offer him a Semin-like 1-year 6.5M deal.

Old
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
1. That's why he's paired with Wotherspoon.
2. Despite turnovers, Wideman has been amazing this year.

He's a RH shot, and would be a great addition to the Flames powerplay. I'm really hoping Treliving makes this happen.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:55 AM
THall4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Except for the fact there's a bunch of solid D, many of whom are better than Green. Martin, Ehrhoff, Sekera, Petry are all PMD I'd look at before looking at Green. Then there's Beauchmein, Franson and Methot. I don't see Green "cashing in". He'll probably get something in the 5m range, simply as that's what his career and what top 4D regularly earn. But I'd be hard pressed to give him that - and would give that to every one of those I named before I'd give it to him.
I can see Ehrhoff re-signing in Pittsburgh.

I agree as well...i dont see Mike Green cashing in either..not the same offensively dominant player he was.

I see Green either re-signing in Washington but with Green playing 3rd pairing minutes in Washington..i doubt he returns. ...or he'll be this offseason Ehrhoff and sign for peanuts on a legit contender.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 12:01 PM
flash 12

He is from Calgary. So we might be able to sing him. 7 mill 7 years
Trade wideman for right winger

flash 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
nucks94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
His worth on the market is going to be determined by which of those guys actually hit the market. Ehrhoff will likely resign in Pittsburgh- unless they have another playoff colapse- he's at a point now to be chasing cups, he has his money from that Buffalo contract. Martin will likely be a free agent IMO and not be traded at the deadline due to the Maataa injury. Sekera, Petry, Methot and Franson realistically very well could be moved at the deadline which makes their FA status even more clouded. My assumption though, is that the one's who aren't on the move this TDL will be hitting the market. Beuchemein is a wildcard to me, but with Green's age in comparisson I see Green getting the better contract.

His value will be a lot easier to establish after the deadline.

nucks94 is offline   Reply With Quote