HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who is better off with the Salo deal?

View Poll Results: Who is better off with the Salo deal?
Tommy Salo 1 1.54%
Oilers organization 37 56.92%
Both sides 24 36.92%
Neither side 3 4.62%
. . . err Colorado?? 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2004, 02:55 PM
chayter_con1

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to chayter_con1
Who is better off with the Salo deal?

Salos departure

It seems as if some people think Salo was the Oilers all star and some believe that the Oilers organization was better off without him in the roster.

For me it really made it easier for both sides to carry on into the future with his departure, Salo can find his groove with another organization and the Oilers organization can try to regroup in the netminding department.

Salo gave us some great times with spectacular saves, but when he was in a rut he dug himself a deep rut. Salo was pinnacle to Oilers fumble last year in the playoffs and this years playoff run flop (minus the last 1/4 of the season).

I wish the guy well in Colorado or wherever he will end up, but it was time for either side to move on.

Last edited by chayter_con1: 05-25-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old
05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Oilers simply because they shed a ton of playroll by trading him. Lowe did the fans a favour by trading him so we would never have to watch him play for us again. It came down to finding someone to take him and what little salary he had left off our hands. The fact that we got a decent prospect for him makes it that much better.

Old
05-25-2004, 08:55 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Both sides. Tommy did more than his fair share all but his last season or so with the team, and took less than market rate in doing so.

Now he gets a chance to start afresh, and hopefully with lessons learned in mind. The Oilers shed some salary and... get a chance to start afresh, and hopefully with lessons learned in mind.

Old
06-01-2004, 07:50 AM
chayter_con1

Send a message via Yahoo to chayter_con1
Salo done with NHL

Linked
Quote:
Avs goalie Tommy Salo, who served as David Aebischer's backup for the Avalanche at the end of the season, has decided to retire from the NHL. Denver Post sources close to Salo said he will return to Sweden next season to play, most likely with MoDo of the Swedish Elite League.
Salo, 33, went 1-3-1 with the Avs after being acquired from the Edmonton Oilers at the trade deadline. He played in one postseason game in relief of Aebischer.
See you later Tommy, I know one Oilers fan who isnt going to miss you at all!

Old
06-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Matts

I would say the fans

who no longer have to watch overpaid netminding rotting the insides out of one of the league's most frugal teams

Old
06-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayter_con1
See you later Tommy, I know one Oilers fan who isnt going to miss you at all!
I'm never going to understand how people can say stuff like this. Tommy gave us a number of very solid years in net and he was a classy guy through and through. You may think that he crapped the bed the last couple seasons in goal but still respect what he gave us before that. Regardless of his play, I was sad to see Tommy leave Edmonton and it is sad again to see him retire from the NHL. Hopefully he can find his game in Sweden..

Old
06-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Matts

His return to Sweden

adds yet another attractive reason for players to want to return home or head to Sweden to play in the SEL. Forsberg would probably play for a dollar now.

No one ever got more of a free ride then Tommy Salo when it came to the press. When the team won it was because he was outstanding. When they lost it was because the other 18 guys didn't do the job. Make no bloody wonder the guy loved Edm. No one else would coddle him in such a manner

As for the personal problems, it seems he brought a lot of it on himself. He didn't do anything that a lot of other married hockey players do but I guess the difference was....well...

Closed Thread