HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Experienced Defenseman the next move?

Old
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Turboflex*

vCash: 500
We have good 4 vet D man ...

And yes, despite what some HFboard hockey geniuses think about Hamrlik & Spacek's play, they are still pretty effective D men and solid vets.

Habs' D is set with 7 guys, 4 vets, and hopefully less injuries this season.

The only pickup I would imagine is later in the season getting a winger as a rental for a playoff run, either a top 6 scorer (if certain players aren't producing well) or a veteran bottom 6 checker (who can hit & penalty kill).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Well if we can land Bieksa and ship Hamrlik, I think he fills a big void, and fills in for Bergeron.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Two guys ready? They haven't made the team yet my friend.

I'm not talking about a 5 million dollar a year defenseman either and I mentionned AK could go back the other way. Besides, when there is a team need imo you address it and worry about the cap later. I know how the cap works.

I am looking at this defensive corps and I'm worried about it is what I'm saying.
So we're gonna get an experienced d-man for 1-2m and then have to find a 2nd line winger... which is more expensive than a d-man. So we fill one "hole" (it's not a hole) and open up another.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
We'll see. It's not like if he was the first player to get injured before his real career. Kopecky's hit was really hard, and I think he didn't have other concussion til that one. For the other injuries... I don't know. But true, that's a big concern.
Course not, but it's a bit of a disturbing pattern, as I understand it he missed the first part of two seasons because of training camp/pre-season injuries, than this year he misses most of the season on shoulder surgery. Not brimming with confidence to this point, if he can play the 10-11 year injury-free that would be great but I worry about whether he can take the physical impact of an NHL season.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Markov(when he's back), Spacek, & Subban are all solid puck movers. Weber & Carle are good as well. I think we'll be fine this year in that aspect even though 3 of those names are rookies.

Markov-O'Byrne
Subban-Hamrlik
Spacek-Gorges
Gill

Weber-Carle for injury callups since every team has injuries and I'm sure we'll have small or large injuries as well. That gives us 9 D and I'm sure we'll use all of them at some point.
That's twice I see O'Byrne on the top pairing. Wasn't he a healthy scratch last year?

Anyway, consensus seems to agree with you. Guess I'm being parannoid. I just don't see that as a defense I'm ready to go into an NHL season with personally.

Too many question marks. Will Subban be ready to take on a top 4 role? will Hamrlik last if Markov isn't ready to start the season say 10-20 games? Carle's injuries...Weber never cracking the lineup consitently.

As Blind Guardian and Ceux de Montreal mentionned even a rugged stay at home veteran would help stabilize things somewhat imo. Because I realize veteran puck-moving D-men are a rarity or expensive commodity at best.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
So we're gonna get an experienced d-man for 1-2m and then have to find a 2nd line winger... which is more expensive than a d-man. So we fill one "hole" (it's not a hole) and open up another.
What I mean is I think we have enough talent and wingers up front to shore up the D a bit. But yes, you are correct that losing AK would also be risky. I just think we have more kids ready up front than on D. Eller, Pouliot, Boyd, come to mind.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That's twice I see O'Byrne on the top pairing. Wasn't he a healthy scratch last year?

Anyway, consensus seems to agree with you. Guess I'm being parannoid. I just don't see that as a defense I'm ready to go into an NHL season with personally.

Too many question marks. Will Subban be ready to take on a top 4 role? will Hamrlik last if Markov isn't ready to start the season say 10-20 games? Carle's injuries...Weber never cracking the lineup consitently.

As Blind Guardian and Ceux de Montreal mentionned even a rugged stay at home veteran would help stabilize things somewhat imo. Because I realize veteran puck-moving D-men are a rarity or expensive commodity at best.
It will all depend on training camp and how O'Byrne plays. He did play with Markov some last year. Anyways Gill in the lineup with Gorges is the most likely scenario. I was just listing the 7 D that will start the season since I doubt Gauthier will find a taker for Hamrlik.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:02 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Unless if it's for a Top 4 dman 30 years of age or below and the offer is one no GM in the league would refuse under any circumstances, no. We have 3 dmen who are ready to graduate and need ample ice time to prove it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Can Weber be worse than MAB defensively?
No.

Like others have said mostly at the NHL level he just looks nervous... I'd wonder what he woud look like paired with Gill for 20 games or something to take him under his wing and allow him to gain some confidence.

I wouldve liked to add a nice prime aged PM defenseman, but given the contract we gave out to Hamrlik/Spacek and to a lesser extent Gill that just wasn't possible this summer.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote