Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
Martin will do a great job in Florida.

As for Keenan, let the rumours begin!

RDS website
Good for them! I've always liked Keenan and think Thornton could have become a better player with him as his coach. Martin is a good coach and will take this young Florida team to the top of the East in a couple of years. Its good news for Florida!

Old
05-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Atauserk

I Wonder how many of the current players said " Good ridance "
when Keenen was fired ... :lol

Old
05-25-2004, 09:19 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Get ready for BIG changes in Florida...that team is made up of only a handful of Keenan-type players. I can see Jokinen, Horton, Mezei and maybe Hagman being favorites - if they live up to expectations. Van Ryn, Hordicuk, Berglund and Beaudoin will probably be OK too. The rest...who knows. Too bad the Bruins don't have some useless name players that could be used to pick his pocket, I wouldn't mind stealing Huselius away. Wait, just go get Messier, Noonan or Matteau...

Old
05-25-2004, 09:25 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41
Good for them! I've always liked Keenan and think Thornton could have become a better player with him as his coach. Martin is a good coach and will take this young Florida team to the top of the East in a couple of years. Its good news for Florida!
Hey y'all! Been a while. But I thought this was a real important point and probably deserving it's own thread if it hasn't been already done!

But looking at how under Tortorella Vinnie has made strides, as did Joe with Keenan......Doesn't and didn't it seem like Sully needed to give Joe some of the same "tough love" ? I'm not knocking Mike Sullivan as a very successful rookie coach, but I think he let Joe and his seeming lackadaisical attitude take over the whole team. Or that's how it looks to me from the outside...sometimes passion and pride has to be forcced upon guys and I don't know if Sully's got it in him. And the next question is should he? The leaders have to be recognised and made to be leaders to get those around him to buy into it. This topic has been an unending source of turmoil around here. But looking at how Vinnie Lacavalier has come along with Tortorella and how Joe played for Keenan......I would think Joe would himself be kicking himself having to watch Vinnie out there instead of him.

Old
05-25-2004, 09:36 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper!
Hey y'all! Been a while. But I thought this was a real important point and probably deserving it's own thread if it hasn't been already done!

But looking at how under Tortorella Vinnie has made strides, as did Joe with Keenan......Doesn't and didn't it seem like Sully needed to give Joe some of the same "tough love" ? I'm not knocking Mike Sullivan as a very successful rookie coach, but I think he let Joe and his seeming lackadaisical attitude take over the whole team. Or that's how it looks to me from the outside...sometimes passion and pride has to be forcced upon guys and I don't know if Sully's got it in him. And the next question is should he? The leaders have to be recognised and made to be leaders to get those around him to buy into it. This topic has been an unending source of turmoil around here. But looking at how Vinnie Lacavalier has come along with Tortorella and how Joe played for Keenan......I would think Joe would himself be kicking himself having to watch Vinnie out there instead of him.
I think you are right...Joe needs to be challenged more.

But unless you are very close to a legit cup run, I wouldn't want Keenan back as coach. There's too much cost involved. For one, Keenan always needs to have a whipping boy, which can backfire and cause divisiveness among the ranks. Moreover, his hardline disciplinary tactics do not always reach today's egocentric players, let alone serve to build cohesive teams. Together, his approach and antics can begin to wear thin after more than a season, which more than anything leads to misery among a majority of the players. Aside from that, he doesn't have the patience for rebuilding clubs, which is why I can see changes coming for the Panthers. But if you already had a team of veterans who are close to a solid cup run, he could be your man.

Old
05-25-2004, 09:46 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
I think you are right...Joe needs to be challenged more.

But unless you are very close to a legit cup run, I wouldn't want Keenan back as coach. There's too much cost involved. For one, Keenan always needs to have a whipping boy, which can backfire and cause divisiveness among the ranks. Moreover, his hardline disciplinary tactics do not always reach today's egocentric players, let alone serve to build cohesive teams. Together, his approach and antics can begin to wear thin after more than a season, which more than anything leads to misery among a majority of the players. Aside from that, he doesn't have the patience for rebuilding clubs, which is why I can see changes coming for the Panthers. But if you already had a team of veterans who are close to a solid cup run, he could be your man.
With ya 100% Meister. But take the Tortorella example. We always held Joe to being twice the player Vincent is. But since being held up to scrutiny he has performed. That's what's needed here. If Joe is held responsible it should draw those up around him. Muzz, Rolston could have used a prod. No, a Cattle prod!

Maybe with an infusion of youth, which will probably be the only way we can retain the contracts of Joe, Sammy, Gonchar, Nylander, Muzz (?) you could have the young & hungry pushing from the bottom and a coach (tougher Mike, hopefully) pushing from the top.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:28 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Get ready for BIG changes in Florida...that team is made up of only a handful of Keenan-type players. I can see Jokinen, Horton, Mezei and maybe Hagman being favorites - if they live up to expectations. Van Ryn, Hordicuk, Berglund and Beaudoin will probably be OK too. The rest...who knows. Too bad the Bruins don't have some useless name players that could be used to pick his pocket, I wouldn't mind stealing Huselius away. Wait, just go get Messier, Noonan or Matteau...
I would love to get Huselius out of them. It is this type of rash decision maker you need to take advantage of. I expect him to clean house. I wonder if he would deal with MOC though?

Old
05-26-2004, 09:34 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
That's a good question about Keenan dealing with MOC. You'd have to believe there might be some hard feelings there.

They have a nice core of young players:

goal: luongo
defense: bouwmeester, van ryn, mezei, biron
forwards: stewart, weiss, horton, nedorost, jokinen

It's hard to believe they'd want to break up that nucleus much. But I'd like to get a few of those guys in the black and gold. Problem is, the Bruins don't have many guys under contract so trades would be tough for now.

Old
05-27-2004, 07:23 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Huselius either.
He's fast (enough), skilled and, everytime I've watched him, doesn't mind going into the corners.
I don't know why he was in Keenan's doghouse but if we could steal him I'd be a happy boyo....he'd be as solid a 3rd liner there is.

Closed Thread