HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sport and sportmanship as a fan

Old
07-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Sport and sportmanship as a fan

Hockey is a sport.

Sport (Quoted from Wikipedia):

"A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play"

"Although they do not always succeed, sports participants are expected to display good sportsmanship, and observe standards of conduct such as being respectful of opponents and officials, and congratulating the winner when losing."

That's sport. As a fan of a hockey team, one should be a fan of hockey, therefore the sport itself and what it means as a whole.

There seems to be a tendancy in general to create a duality followed by religious-type oppositions and emotionnal debates. Great athletes become great athletes because (for the majority except -Insert well known sport cheaters here-) they are going through a constant learning process. Greats like Tiger Woods are a good example of this: hardwork and determination, no matter how good they might be compared to others. They are never satisfied, they can always do better.

Although, this attitude does not mean one should constantly look to future objectives and forget the present. Otherwise, one would forget the passion of sport, which is based on enjoyment of the activity. Locally, Cammalleri and PK Subban are great examples of this. It is no wonder why they do not crumble under pressure. They take is as a personnal situation to go even further. They do not say "I must do this or that", they say "Damn I love this sport" everytime they get on the ice.

They do not wonder if the team will manage to succeed without Halak, or will Price stand up to the task. They do not cry because GM traded a team partner they loved. No. They see things as challenges and opportunities.

As a fan, we should keep in mind these principles which lead to excellence: Adaptation, Fair play, Respect, Focus on self and Enjoyment (and some others I've not written ).

How can we understand sport and those who perform it if we do not apply those standards to ourselves? I believe we cannot. Hockey players are generally acting like a big brotherhood because they are sharing thise great thing: passion. Passion is not a religion, it is not sectarian or totalitarian; it is pleasure at its finest. Great achievers are looking at the whole picture and enjoy the process, not only the result. I suggest we start enjoying this team's process a little bit more from now on. Lower expectations and more enjoyment. You would be amazed by the result it would have on the team. Imagine 21,273 fans cheering at their team everytime they take the puck, whether it be 1-1 or 0-5.

No more self-projections through the sport. No more trying to "win" the debate. We should love ourselves regardless our imperfections. We should love this team regardless its imperfections. Then we could freely and respectfully discuss with objectivity on sport... a wonderful sport that is.

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Patofqc*

Nice thoughs!!! Same has world without war...its not going to happen

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Although, it is by addition of small actions that big actions become reality.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Patofqc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Akatsume Ryu View Post
Although, it is by addition of small actions that big actions become reality.
Nice You should become a guru of positive thinking!!!! I love it

Old
07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i get what ur saying, but

haters, gonna hate

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Patofqc*

Ils l'ont l'affaire les gens d'Alma!!!!

Old
07-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i get what ur saying, but

haters, gonna hate
... and by hating haters we contribute to more hate, so I prefer trying to send positive waves

Old
07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
... and by hating haters we contribute to more hate, so I prefer trying to send positive waves
defniatly, theres a lack of that around the habs

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I don't hate the haters. In fact, I love'em (as I do all Hab fans, and most people in life), or else I wouldn't spend so much time trying to kick some sense into them.

But yeah, I know I should be more respectful, still, I once thought as you did, and the excercise was great, but futile, as they will never change their ways.

Though, I will restate what I said last week, you should post more often here, we're in dire need of level-headed people around here.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I don't hate the haters. In fact, I love'em (as I do all Hab fans, and most people in life), or else I wouldn't spend so much time trying to kick some sense into them.

But yeah, I know I should be more respectful, still, I once thought as you did, and the excercise was great, but futile, as they will never change their ways.

Though, I will restate what I said last week, you should post more often here, we're in dire need of level-headed people around here.
I understand your deception about changes. Although, keep in mind that everybody is in constant movement and change, simply not as fast as you would like them to. What's more, when you become a direct opposition of one's opinion, it creates barriers which eliminate pretty much all odds of having a positive impact. Lower your expectations and keep a good attitude

Old
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I understand your deception about changes. Although, keep in mind that everybody is in constant movement and change, simply not as fast as you would like them to. What's more, when you become a direct opposition of one's opinion, it creates barriers which eliminate pretty much all odds of having a positive impact. Lower your expectations and keep a good attitude
I partly disagree with that. I've seen some change from some people.

I don't mind barriers though, because if you can't cross mine, it pretty much means in the end I won't give a **** because we aren't meant to interact. If someone gets offended by mere words over the internet, how will they ever have the backbone to survive in life? People see my "personal attacks" as my POV, but in most cases, they are loose tests. And no I'm not inventing anything here, and never admited to this (although did give hints of this from time to time). Cognitive reactions can be measured in responses, and hence, cognitive dissonance too. People with high cognitive dissonance are usually hard to turn around and are usually the ones you want to draw emotional reactions from, as it is seperate from cognitive response (already knowing the answer to that part in those cases). In the emotional reaction you can then see if cognitive dissonance is emotionally based, or if it is entirely a lack of cognitive power. For the latter, it is usually hopeless. But hey sometimes I get bored... and looking for some fun, so.. i'm human like everyone else. I have my faults and know them pretty well.

My username itself has always been a loose test too, among other things (as there many reasons I use it). It kinda locks in with the rest. People always assume arrogance when they hear Ozymandias, and actually, the poem it's based on is rather one of wisdom. We all are the architects of our own failures.

If someone can't come to terms with their own failures and shortcomings, they will never change.

Maybe I've lost too much faith, or maybe, part of my genes, I expect as much from other as I do from me.

I've trained a few people at my workplace lately, and I've learned that sometimes, you have to take a hard line. Sometimes, you have to expect as much from others than yourself. Where would we be without people like that in our history? and I truly mean that without including myself to the same degree as those who made our history, just saying it's a trait often found among leaders.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Well written post I agree with the "go the hard line" part at times. We seem to have taken different paths regarding "hard to reach beings" . Anyways, back to topic, the issues we actually see in major sports (violence in soccer fans, hockey moms fighting each others) is definitly an indication of the wrong view many of us are using when looking at sport and life in general. We look for waves to surf on... until it ends up crashing on the shore.

I remember last year when I went to COL-MTL at the Bell Centre, can't recall the date. CH lost and I remember having this one-eyed Avalance dressed guy behind me. Anytime I would complain about officials (it was atrocious that night... just like most nights eh?), this classless clown would insult me in my back with his other clown friend. I was feeling so agressive towards this guy, why had he to concentrate on anger towards me instead of enjoying the game?

That's the kind of attitude I hope we'll see getting more and more rare as mankind evolves. That's not sport, that's hate hidden through the sport, contamining his and others enjoyment on the way...