HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ilya Kovalchuk to the Devils UPDATE: NHL rejects contract (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
That's retarded. Either you're cheating or you're not. For the NHL to arbitrarily decide different degrees of cheating is completely asinine (in line with the NHL as a whole).
Hardly. You can't honestly believe that offering someone close to league minimum for the last SIX YEARS of their contract is comparable to two (or three depending how you view it) years of seven figure salary for Luongo and four for Hossa.

The guy is making $11.5 MILLION in the peak years of his contract. The Devils were stupid to try it and anyone complaining about the NHL's decision is treading the same water.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:06 PM
hawksfan79

vCash: 500
I don't know, call 17 years a ridiculous contract, it's a bit over the top, but a common complaint of fans is that there's no loyalty in sports anymore. When a player signs on the dotted line for a multiple year contract, that's loyalty, and we want to punish players for wanting to finish their careers in one spot, not go through free agency again? But I'm a person that doesn't believe in the hard cap or there's anything wrong with these long contracts to begin with...

Old
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
LucicTrain*

just like i suspected... its gunna come down to either Kovalchuk or Parise. i wonder who the Devils will choose?

Old
07-21-2010, 01:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
the the kings didnt want the player enough pure and simple. most of the kings fans are griping because they wanted him and felt entitled to him due to the prior reports of him wanting LA.

The Devils will now take off the bogus years, make it 11 for 95M or something close and this will end..... in any case the Devils stepped up and deserve him Lombardi and the kings didnt. personally I wouldnt either if I had LA's core
I'm not interested in Kovalchuk if the cap hit is too high. The cap hit has always been the issue with the Kings. The point I was making is that Lombardi did his homework and had a proposal on the table that would not have been considered cap circumvention.

For Grossman this has always been about getting Kovalchuk his $100M in 10 years. Well, guess what there isn't a team in the NHL that can win in the not too distant future that can afford it. Too bad, take less money.

I am very comfortable with LA's offer and the position the Kings are in going forward with or without Kovalchuk.

Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Hardly. You can't honestly believe that offering someone close to league minimum for the last SIX YEARS of their contract is comparable to two (or three depending how you view it) years of seven figure salary for Luongo and four for Hossa.

The guy is making $11.5 MILLION in the peak years of his contract. The Devils were stupid to try it and anyone complaining about the NHL's decision is treading the same water.
I agree. If Kovy's contract wasn't a prime example of cap circumvention, I don't know what is. Frankly, any contract that ends with a player in their 40s is questionable. Honestly, how many players realistically play until they're 40?

Old
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucicTrain View Post
just like i suspected... its gunna come down to either Kovalchuk or Parise. i wonder who the Devils will choose?
How the hell are you gathering that from this situation? If the devils cut off 2 years his cap hit goes to 6.7

Old
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
When a player signs on the dotted line for a multiple year contract, that's loyalty, and we want to punish players for wanting to finish their careers in one spot, not go through free agency again?
Loyalty like Hossa leaving Atlanta, passing through Pittsburgh and Detroit and taking a fat contract in Chicago? Or maybe loyalty like Kovalchuk leaving Atlanta and a $ 100 M+ long-term offer to start a bidding war between LA and NJ?

You're right, sports fans definitely want to see more of that.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
15 years, 100 million...7.0ish cap hit, Kovalchuk plays til he's 42...they can't reject that

Old
07-21-2010, 01:10 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
You do not understand the Devils cap situation or you are trolling.

Congratulations.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
This thing will never end

Old
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
The thing is he has gotten worse. First of all he's more brittle now, as he showed in 08-09. And he is no longer elite, like he showed in 09-10, despite JL's system being there to pad his stats.

I mean, c'mon... Did you really expect the guy to last forever? He's put in a ton of work over the past decade and a half.
If Brodeur still being a Vezina candidate is him "getting worse"

Oh noezzz

Old
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
the the kings didnt want the player enough pure and simple. most of the kings fans are griping because they wanted him and felt entitled to him due to the prior reports of him wanting LA.

The Devils will now take off the bogus years, make it 11 for 95M or something close and this will end..... in any case the Devils stepped up and deserve him Lombardi and the kings didnt. personally I wouldnt either if I had LA's core
You realize thats a 8.63 Million dollar cap hit right

Old
07-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I would think at the moment Grossman is kind of busy trying to rectify this matter with the Devils, instead of taking offers from other teams. It also it makes me laugh, when people come out and state I'm a lawyer and know it all and you know nothing. Well, wasn't it a bunch of lawyers that wrote up the CBA in the first place and what did it get us.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
IceBjoern

Why not just draw the line at 10yrs, how hard can it be?

If Kovalchuk want's to play for a cup contender he better be prepared to take a paycut to do so. Like many have stated, he thinks he's Ovechkin...

Old
gambitlebo

Quote:

No, LA didn't want "the player" at a price that would risk them losing some of the younger player, plain clear and simple.

Hence the only team will to give "the player" his $10/10 was Jersey.

One player can not win a championship.

I have no idea what you mean by you wouldn't play in LA either with their core so I'll leave that alone.

Old
PSUJorge

SIAP: Why Ilya Kovalchuk's contract was rejected

Old
07-21-2010, 01:15 PM
UkraineTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick89 View Post
15 years, 100 million...7.0ish cap hit, Kovalchuk plays til he's 42...they can't reject that
That's it! 6,66 cup hit!

Old
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
How the hell are you gathering that from this situation? If the devils cut off 2 years his cap hit goes to 6.7
They can't just cut 2 years off - as I've said about 10 times... The other contracts that were 42 years and investigated, teams got a warning

Devils, if found guilty by the systems arbitrator, cannot pull a deal into the age of 42 just because of prior evidence - they could move the salary around to make it legit - but devils will be fined if they're guilty... Which basically means no kovalchuk

The only way they'll sign kovalchuk is if nhlpa grieves, IMO.

Old
DarkReign

Quote:
No it wont. Check capgeek. New Jersey can *gasp* have both.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
SLang

So many saying "they'll just shave off a couple years and re-submit the contract"....are you kidding me? The last go-round took 2+ weeks. What makes you think it's so simple?

It's back to the drawing board time, and I'd bet this story's going to take at least one big sideways twist before it's all over.

But I wouldn't dare predict what that's going to be.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
They can't just cut 2 years off - as I've said about 10 times...
Saying it 1000 times won't make it true.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post

Either you are circumventing the cap, or you are not. There is no in between. I don't care if the last thirteen years of the contract was Kovy being paid in skittles. There no difference between any of the mentioned contracts with regard to circumvention are cheating and to conveniently look the other three times and then all of the sudden reject a different contract on the same grounds (don't kid yourself, Hossa's and Luongo's contract are the same thing) is ridiculous. Plain and simple. They are cherry picking when they want to make an issue out of it.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
The devils tested the limit, they probably anticipated this, and now they're going to rework the deal. It's like asking for a lot when all you want is a little (Best example: Remember the Simpsons episode when Lisa wants to take the bus to the theatre [which she won't be aloud to], so she asks Homer if she can rent a Limo, by which he refuses, then when she asks to ride the bus, he totally agrees). Now NJ can submit a Hossa deal, and not even be questioned IMO.
I wish we could click on a "like" button like facebook.

I'd click it many times for this one.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Saying it 1000 times won't make it true.
just because you don't understand the situation doesn't make your delusions of getting kovalchuk any better. It's not like the NHL will just pretend the 44 year didn't happen. It's ok. I understand that you think contracts and deals are like playground politics, but they AREN'T

When the contract was signed I told people it would be rejected and devils fans laughed at me, whatever. Devils won't try something that's borderline again because there would be massive penalty.

Believe what you want to believe, but I'm right. Sorry you have a problem with that.

Old
07-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

HAHAHAHA Oh man this is awesome

Closed Thread