HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1988 Oilers vs. Flames Playoff Series

Old
07-21-2010, 01:47 PM
FASTHANDS*

vCash: 500
1988 Oilers vs. Flames Playoff Series

Oilers wins series 4-0. We know that. But what was the buildup to this installement of the battle of Alberta. Memories of 1986?

Calgary had the league's best record and scored 397 goals, the best ever besides Edmonton and Boston. They were the favorites against the defending champion Oilers who had won 3 cups in 4 years.

Was anyone totally shocked Edmonton won the series (add to that swept the series) and how intense was it?

FASTHANDS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
reckoning

I still remember THN's infamous playoff preview cover story that year: "Take The Flames. Trust Us." Everybody was quick to write off the Oilers: "They're getting too old", "They have no one to replace Coffey", etc.

Despite all the amazing scoring accomplishments he put up when he was younger, I still think the 1988 playoffs were the finest moment of Wayne Gretzky's career.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
I still remember THN's infamous playoff preview cover story that year: "Take The Flames. Trust Us." Everybody was quick to write off the Oilers: "They're getting too old", "They have no one to replace Coffey", etc.

Despite all the amazing scoring accomplishments he put up when he was younger, I still think the 1988 playoffs were the finest moment of Wayne Gretzky's career.
I don't know....1985: Wayne scored 47 points in only 18 games! I'll always remember that one blind behind the back pass at full speed to Coffey in the finals against Philly...

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Uncle Rotter

A lot of comment in the press was that it was the REAL Stanley Cup Final. I'll always remember the sound of Gretzky's overtime goal.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
A lot of comment in the press was that it was the REAL Stanley Cup Final. I'll always remember the sound of Gretzky's overtime goal.
88 wasn't the only time in which the Smythe Final was the real Cup final. I'd argue the same thing about the 85 Smythe Final. And you probably should have been able to say the same thing about the 86 Smythe Final, but for Calgary in 86, beating Edmonton was basically winning the Cup, and they never recovered from it. (Calgary should have swept St. Louis. Instead, that series went to Game 7).

Gretzky probably played his best hockey in the NHL in 88. But that Edmonton team was so stacked up front. Maybe the best top two lines since the late 50s Habs. The offensive improvements of Tikkanen, and the arrival of Simpson, resulted in two incredibly dangerous lines.

You'll never again see a team go 16-2 in the playoffs.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Scott1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy19 View Post
I don't know....1985: Wayne scored 47 points in only 18 games! I'll always remember that one blind behind the back pass at full speed to Coffey in the finals against Philly...
That and the SH OT winner in game 2 of this series!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Scott1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
That PING when it hit the back pipe? I'll never forget that either!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote