HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovy to NYR

Old
07-21-2010, 07:29 PM
strikerkid23

vCash: 500
Kovy to NYR

Is their any chance kovalchuck signs with the Rangers? He is wat the rangers need in a goal scorer but idk salary cap wise if we could do this even if we get rid of redden? SO what r ur thoughts on kovy to NYR?

strikerkid23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
if it didnt happen before, i doubt it will happen now

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
RKO36

In short - no.

RKO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

You guys have Gaborik...

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
You guys have Gaborik...
and i love him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerkid23 View Post
Is their any chance kovalchuck signs with the Rangers? He is wat the rangers need in a goal scorer but idk salary cap wise if we could do this even if we get rid of redden? SO what r ur thoughts on kovy to NYR?
nope, what the Rangers really need is a Paul Stasny, or Joe Colborne type.....and some time for McDonogh Mcillrath and Del Zotto to mature, not Kovy

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
nope, what the Rangers really need is a Paul Stasny, or Joe Colborne type.....and some time for McDonogh Mcillrath and Del Zotto to mature, not Kovy
from your mouth to gods ears

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
GAGLine

We have less than 9 mil left against the summer cap and we still need to sign Staal. If we were to sign Kovy without clearing salary first and Staal signed an offer sheet, we wouldn't be able to match.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 08:57 PM
denkiteki

Only way the Rangers can sign him is AFTER training camp and they bury Redden + salary dump... not sure if the NYR will even consider burying Redden since it is a LOT of money. Or as an alternative dump enough salary to fit both Kovy and Staal under the 10% cap with Redden on the roster till the start of the season (i.e. even more salary dump than signing Kovy after the start of the season).

Would take a ton of assets for any team to take Ranger's salary dump however as those are pretty horrible contracts (unless the Rangers are planning on dumping from their weakness... namely defense and Rozsival). Realistically, the only dump option for the Rangers is Drury or multiple players. To dump 14 mil of cap space over 2 years (can't bury due to NMC), it probably would cost a TON of assets.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Orenji

Pretty sure if NJ and Kovy can't agree to a deal, LA will jump all over him.

But he'll probably stay in NJ.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Pretty sure if NJ and Kovy can't agree to a deal, LA will jump all over him.

But he'll probably stay in NJ.
Yeah but LA doesn't have NYR's history of massive overpayment of players. The only question is really how they can free the cap space for it.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Guitpik

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Yeah but LA doesn't have NYR's history of massive overpayment of players. The only question is really how they can free the cap space for it.
Yeah, and I hope LA keeps it that way. Kovalchuk would be nice, but not at the numbers he wants.

Guitpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
You've got my gears turning here. You think Colborne is available?

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:28 AM
e3263518

There's a better chance that Gary Bettman becomes the next UFC heavyweight champion than Kovy landing with the rangers

e3263518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:49 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils9 View Post
There's a better chance that Gary Bettman becomes the next UFC heavyweight champion than Kovy landing with the rangers
Spoken like a true ignorant Devil. NHL is full of surprises buddy, don't put it past Sather to blow more of our precious cap space.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humvy99 View Post
Spoken like a true ignorant Devil. NHL is full of surprises buddy, don't put it past Sather to blow more of our precious cap space.
Spoken like a small minded Ranger fan. What cap space?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:19 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Nice blanket statement you goon

KOVALCHUK WILL NOT BE A RANGER

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
KOVALCHUK WILL NOT BE A RANGER
I hope not. This team has had enough jackasses over the years who "really want to come to New York" to "play for the great fans in New York"

Translation: "I think that New York is dumb enough to pay me more than what I could ever dream I'm worth, so I'd really love to cash checks that are signed by James Dolan and contain more zeroes than other teams with more than two functioning brain cells would ever dream of giving me."

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I hope not. This team has had enough jackasses over the years who "really want to come to New York" to "play for the great fans in New York"

Translation: "I think that New York is dumb enough to pay me more than what I could ever dream I'm worth, so I'd really love to cash checks that are signed by James Dolan and contain more zeroes than other teams with more than two functioning brain cells would ever dream of giving me."
At least you have come to terms with the reality of Glen Sather

For a cap hit at 6 or 7, I love Kovalchuk. For a cap hit of 8 or more, I really don't.

I guess we'll see what happens. It just seems odd to me that Lou would make the longest tenured offer in league history. When has he ever been flashy, or tried to take advantage of the league like that (and I know there's a first time for everything). I think he has another agenda.

Old
07-22-2010, 07:15 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils9 View Post
To think that Kovy WILL NOT come to the Rangers given the recent circumstances is ignorant. We live in an NHl full of surprise decisions and the fact that don't have cap space is the reason I worry.

I will however apologize for generalizing. It wasn't fair for me to call all devils fans ignorant and I take it back, but I get so infuriated by comments like these because I am a die hard Rangers fan and that in itself is tough enough to swollow. Thinking you are the be all of the Kovy talks in a thread about the possibility of Kovy to the Rangers with a statement designed to jibe Rangers makes me quite pissed.

So again sorry, but I will not apologize to the quoted poster.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 07:35 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
To think that Kovy WILL NOT come to the Rangers given the recent circumstances is ignorant. We live in an NHl full of surprise decisions and the fact that don't have cap space is the reason I worry.

I will however apologize for generalizing. It wasn't fair for me to call all devils fans ignorant and I take it back, but I get so infuriated by comments like these because I am a die hard Rangers fan and that in itself is tough enough to swollow. Thinking you are the be all of the Kovy talks in a thread about the possibility of Kovy to the Rangers with a statement designed to jibe Rangers makes me quite pissed.

So again sorry, but I will not apologize to the quoted poster.
While I don't agree with the first part (because I'm a Devils fan), bravo for the rest

Old
07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
bernmeister

Agree w/sentiment that Kovy would be nice, preferably not at this price.
Also agree it can be done, but very, very difficult.

Do not see moving of productive but overpriced Drury [w/NMC] as strategy.
Dumping Rosival (difficult, not impossible) + Redden (almost impossible except thru sending to Hartford + that should be last resort only, because it has complicated problems + issues.

As an alternative, I am promoting a sign + trade strategy.
Here is the core of my counter-PROPOSAL
(core because not enough time now to do all details now...).

1. Kovy wants good team w/winning shot. Pens not a lock for cup + truly need to diversify w/depth; however, w/SC + other assets, should probably be competitive next 10 yrs or so. So IK consents to sign + trade w/NYR.

2. IK signed, core of deal is Malkin + J. Staal for IK + Gabborik, which creates a supreme line w/SC for Pens.

3) Like NYR, PP does not really have cap space for IK. Most of the cap w/Malkin is recovered by obtaining Gabborik. So PP must overcompensate NYR additionally to make space.

4) The extended part beyond the core, then, includes Girardi (a better overall D) for LeTang, who is more talented, better skater, better power play QB, and has more upside; NYR dumping some additional minor players/salaries [can't check my records yet]; sending G prospect Cam Talbot to PP + taking on (briefly) Fleury, who is a short term problem of something like 5 years @ $5mil per, but who can be ultimately unloaded.
Further in consideration of the above PP gives up next year's #1 pick (2011) + one other additional #1 pick over the next three years.
NYR will give their #2 for 2011 + the WC #2 [from Sanguinetti trade] in exchange.

Who out there agrees w/me that Kovy + Gabborik for Malkin + Staal is relatively even value as a straight up? [We are losing on W but gaining at C, and NYR have prospects for W (Grachev + Werek) while our Cs in development (particularly Kreider) are a year or so away, so getting 2 Cs now helps with now as well as down the road.]

Who thinks if you can't have your cake + eat it too (magically loose Rosi + Redden for cap space + just sign Kovy), then this is a good real world alternative?
Pens fans... you make this deal. Why/why not?
NYR fans... you make this deal. Why/why not?
again, agree or disagree you are entitled to your opinion but would appreciate really analytical, objective evaluations. thanks.
Til tomorrow or Sat...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:40 AM
FlyersFan61290

"Three separate sources have confirmed that the Rangers may trade Marian Gaborik to try and sign Ilya Kovalchuk.

The Kings and Rangers are talking, and it has been rumored that the Kings have offered Justin Williams and two prospects in exchange for Gaborik.

Another team that has contacted the Rangers about Gaborik is the Toronto Maple Leafs. No known offer has been made by the Maple Leafs though."

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/22/10/Ra...75&feedID=4682

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
bernmeister

Reply to FlyersFan61290

Thank you for the update.
Unless I'm just adding IK, think the above IK + MG for EM + JS, etc., is better. However, just to digress, if Sather is unloading MG, + especially if he doesn't already have IK signed sealed + delivered, it better be part of an additionally useful means of ... dumping Redden as part of the deal!!!

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
To think that Kovy WILL NOT come to the Rangers given the recent circumstances is ignorant.
What's ignorant is you not understanding our cap situation. We have less than 9 mil left on the summer cap. We still have to sign Staal. How are we going to fit Kovy? Redden can't be sent down until the end of camp. Who are we trading to clear cap space?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote