HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not go after Kovy?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
  #1
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Why not go after Kovy?

I remember reading something that said the most important thing is to get us to the playoffs and if we sign Kovalchuk we make the playoffs this season guaranteed!!! That thought might have changed after we made Tallon GM but why can't we still follow his plan and get into the playoffs this season. I know some of you won't agree giving that much to one player but here is what I figure. We are currently 11.431mil under the salary cap. We gain 19.542mil back in cap space from expiring contracts of Vokoun(6.3Mil), Stillman(3.5Mil), McCabe(4.150Mil), Dvorak(1.8Mil), Higgins(1.6Mil), Paetsch(.525mil), Taffe(.600Mil), Wilson(.500Mil) and McLean(.567Mil buy-out). That's 20mil we can use on key FA and signing of our youngsters(likely start out with low contracts) not yet in NHL. Some of that would have to be used for re-signing of Frolik(deserves at least an Olesz type deal to this point), Grabner(?) and Matthias(?).

I think signing Kovalchuk solves about 70% of our scoring problem. Which is fine since we still have Vokoun this yr. Next year our youngsters will be a year better and we can add more scoring. If Markstrom still not ready add a 1yr goalie(D. Ellis type). And if anyone can get Kovalchuk to sign here Tallon can maybe by telling him we will have 20mil in cap space to sign players next yr even after signing kolvy to that monster deal! Signing Kovy IMO would also wow all other NHL fans and give Panther fans something positive to gloat about after 10years of disappointment and mockery from other teams fans. And, I seem to remember that last time we made the playoffs we had a high scoring Russian playing for us. Wouldn't that be ironic! And man wouldn't Kovalchuk look good in a Panthers jersey!

Offer Kovalchuk an 8yr 80mil contract:

1st yr: 11.0
2nd yr: 11.0 (we gain 19.542mil in cap from expiring contracts)
3rd yr: 10.5
4th yr: 10.0
5th yr: 9.5
6th yr: 9.5
7th yr: 9.5
8th yr: 9.0

This season's lineup would look like:

Kovalchuk-Weiss-Frolik
Booth-Matthias-Grabner
Stillman-Rhino-Olesz
Dvorak-Higgins-Bernier
Bitz

Kuli-Wideman
Allen-McCabe
Garrison-Paetsch
Gudbranson

Vokoun
Clemms


Last edited by Beezer: 07-21-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Beezer is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
  #2
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Answer: we are the Panthers - we do not sign big names like Kovy, period. We won't even sign a top 6 forward let alone a star. This team will be built through the draft & will maybe make a splash in a few years if the prospects grow as expected.

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
  #3
phil725
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
He's a great talent.. but honestly... hie is very one dimensional... I get it.. we need the one dimension he brings... but he is the absolute opposite of the kinda guy Tallon wants..... Why have Kovy when you can have Toews... sure Kovy will put up 20 more points but look who has been in the league for three years... a "C" on his sweater and the guy is all team oriented. If kovy asked to play in florida i don't think tallon would want him. I am not saying he is not worth something good.. I just think he's not in our bag.... a guy like Hossa... that's the kinda you want in the locker room

phil725 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 10:38 PM
  #4
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I remember reading something that said the most important thing is to get us to the playoffs and if we sign Kovalchuk we make the playoffs this season guaranteed!!! That thought might have changed after we made Tallon GM but why can't we still follow his plan and get into the playoffs this season. I know some of you won't agree giving that much to one player but here is what I figure. We are currently 11.431mil under the salary cap. We gain 19.542mil back in cap space from expiring contracts of Vokoun(6.3Mil), Stillman(3.5Mil), McCabe(4.150Mil), Dvorak(1.8Mil), Higgins(1.6Mil), Paetsch(.525mil), Taffe(.600Mil), Wilson(.500Mil) and McLean(.567Mil buy-out). That's 20mil we can use on key FA and signing of our youngsters(likely start out with low contracts) not yet in NHL. Some of that would have to be used for re-signing of Frolik(deserves at least an Olesz type deal to this point), Grabner(?) and Matthias(?).

I think signing Kovalchuk solves about 70% of our scoring problem. Which is fine since we still have Vokoun this yr. Next year our youngsters will be a year better and we can add more scoring. If Markstrom still not ready add a 1yr goalie(D. Ellis type). And if anyone can get Kovalchuk to sign here Tallon can maybe by telling him we will have 20mil in cap space to sign players next yr even after signing kolvy to that monster deal! Signing Kovy IMO would also wow all other NHL fans and give Panther fans something positive to gloat about after 10years of disappointment and mockery from other teams fans. And, I seem to remember that last time we made the playoffs we had a high scoring Russian playing for us. Wouldn't that be ironic! And man wouldn't Kovalchuk look good in a Panthers jersey!

Offer Kovalchuk an 8yr 80mil contract:

1st yr: 11.0
2nd yr: 11.0 (we gain 19.542mil in cap from expiring contracts)
3rd yr: 10.5
4th yr: 10.0
5th yr: 9.5
6th yr: 9.5
7th yr: 9.5
8th yr: 9.0

This season's lineup would look like:

Kovalchuk-Weiss-Frolik
Booth-Matthias-Grabner
Stillman-Rhino-Olesz
Dvorak-Higgins-Bernier
Bitz

Kuli-Wideman
Allen-McCabe
Garrison-Paetsch
Gudbranson

Vokoun
Clemms
Problem: The Panthers aren't concerned with selling tickets or entertaining the fans.

Hip to be Square is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
  #5
sinDer
Registered User
 
sinDer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drummondville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post

Offer Kovalchuk an 8yr 80mil contract:

1st yr: 11.0
2nd yr: 11.0 (we gain 19.542mil in cap from expiring contracts)
3rd yr: 10.5
4th yr: 10.0
5th yr: 9.5
6th yr: 9.5
7th yr: 9.5
8th yr: 9.0
Kovalchuk wouln't even look at the numbers if he had an offer from the Panthers.

sinDer is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
  #6
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
There were rumours that Tallon did in fact make an offer to his agent, but he had no interest in playing in Florida.

Montsy14 is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 11:01 PM
  #7
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I remember reading something that said the most important thing is to get us to the playoffs and if we sign Kovalchuk we make the playoffs this season guaranteed!!! That thought might have changed after we made Tallon GM but why can't we still follow his plan and get into the playoffs this season. I know some of you won't agree giving that much to one player but here is what I figure. We are currently 11.431mil under the salary cap. We gain 19.542mil back in cap space from expiring contracts of Vokoun(6.3Mil), Stillman(3.5Mil), McCabe(4.150Mil), Dvorak(1.8Mil), Higgins(1.6Mil), Paetsch(.525mil), Taffe(.600Mil), Wilson(.500Mil) and McLean(.567Mil buy-out). That's 20mil we can use on key FA and signing of our youngsters(likely start out with low contracts) not yet in NHL. Some of that would have to be used for re-signing of Frolik(deserves at least an Olesz type deal to this point), Grabner(?) and Matthias(?).

I think signing Kovalchuk solves about 70% of our scoring problem. Which is fine since we still have Vokoun this yr. Next year our youngsters will be a year better and we can add more scoring. If Markstrom still not ready add a 1yr goalie(D. Ellis type). And if anyone can get Kovalchuk to sign here Tallon can maybe by telling him we will have 20mil in cap space to sign players next yr even after signing kolvy to that monster deal! Signing Kovy IMO would also wow all other NHL fans and give Panther fans something positive to gloat about after 10years of disappointment and mockery from other teams fans. And, I seem to remember that last time we made the playoffs we had a high scoring Russian playing for us. Wouldn't that be ironic! And man wouldn't Kovalchuk look good in a Panthers jersey!

Offer Kovalchuk an 8yr 80mil contract:

1st yr: 11.0
2nd yr: 11.0 (we gain 19.542mil in cap from expiring contracts)
3rd yr: 10.5
4th yr: 10.0
5th yr: 9.5
6th yr: 9.5
7th yr: 9.5
8th yr: 9.0

This season's lineup would look like:

Kovalchuk-Weiss-Frolik
Booth-Matthias-Grabner
Stillman-Rhino-Olesz
Dvorak-Higgins-Bernier
Bitz

Kuli-Wideman
Allen-McCabe
Garrison-Paetsch
Gudbranson

Vokoun
Clemms
Not anti-Panthers, they're actually my (albeit distant) second favorite team, but...

I think you would have to wait for him to become a UFA again, no? I'm 99% sure he's not a UFA until after (if) the NHLPA grieves and the arbitrator rules in favor of the NHL.

Unknown Caller is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 11:05 PM
  #8
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,644
vCash: 500
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And it's the Panthers. No one wants to play with the Panthers. No one great, anyways.

StrangeVision is online now  
Old
07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
  #9
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I remember reading something that said the most important thing is to get us to the playoffs and if we sign Kovalchuk we make the playoffs this season guaranteed!!! That thought might have changed after we made Tallon GM but why can't we still follow his plan and get into the playoffs this season. I know some of you won't agree giving that much to one player but here is what I figure. We are currently 11.431mil under the salary cap. We gain 19.542mil back in cap space from expiring contracts of Vokoun(6.3Mil), Stillman(3.5Mil), McCabe(4.150Mil), Dvorak(1.8Mil), Higgins(1.6Mil), Paetsch(.525mil), Taffe(.600Mil), Wilson(.500Mil) and McLean(.567Mil buy-out). That's 20mil we can use on key FA and signing of our youngsters(likely start out with low contracts) not yet in NHL. Some of that would have to be used for re-signing of Frolik(deserves at least an Olesz type deal to this point), Grabner(?) and Matthias(?).

I think signing Kovalchuk solves about 70% of our scoring problem. Which is fine since we still have Vokoun this yr. Next year our youngsters will be a year better and we can add more scoring. If Markstrom still not ready add a 1yr goalie(D. Ellis type). And if anyone can get Kovalchuk to sign here Tallon can maybe by telling him we will have 20mil in cap space to sign players next yr even after signing kolvy to that monster deal! Signing Kovy IMO would also wow all other NHL fans and give Panther fans something positive to gloat about after 10years of disappointment and mockery from other teams fans. And, I seem to remember that last time we made the playoffs we had a high scoring Russian playing for us. Wouldn't that be ironic! And man wouldn't Kovalchuk look good in a Panthers jersey!

Offer Kovalchuk an 8yr 80mil contract:

1st yr: 11.0
2nd yr: 11.0 (we gain 19.542mil in cap from expiring contracts)
3rd yr: 10.5
4th yr: 10.0
5th yr: 9.5
6th yr: 9.5
7th yr: 9.5
8th yr: 9.0

This season's lineup would look like:

Kovalchuk-Weiss-Frolik
Booth-Matthias-Grabner
Stillman-Rhino-Olesz
Dvorak-Higgins-Bernier
Bitz

Kuli-Wideman
Allen-McCabe
Garrison-Paetsch
Gudbranson

Vokoun
Clemms
I just feel bad that you put so much effort into that post. Wow. Because you should know there is a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. After all, in Tallon we trust!

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-21-2010, 11:34 PM
  #10
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 500
Look at the line combo with kovy in. It is a terrible mismatch of talent if youre going to have a kovy type player on the team at least get him some viable set up men. For example a Joe Thorton to a Dany Heatley and Marleau. Weiss is a good center but it would turn out to be the same situation as with Rick Nash in Columbus a star player whose talent goes to waste because they have no talent to help him out.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 12:38 AM
  #11
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Look at the line combo with kovy in. It is a terrible mismatch of talent if youre going to have a kovy type player on the team at least get him some viable set up men. For example a Joe Thorton to a Dany Heatley and Marleau. Weiss is a good center but it would turn out to be the same situation as with Rick Nash in Columbus a star player whose talent goes to waste because they have no talent to help him out.
I don't think Kovalchuk would have any problem scoring goals if he were to become a Panther.

StrangeVision is online now  
Old
07-22-2010, 12:45 AM
  #12
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I just feel bad that you put so much effort into that post. Wow. Because you should know there is a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. After all, in Tallon we trust!
Not too much trouble. Only took me 10min.

Beezer is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 12:47 AM
  #13
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Look at the line combo with kovy in. It is a terrible mismatch of talent if youre going to have a kovy type player on the team at least get him some viable set up men. For example a Joe Thorton to a Dany Heatley and Marleau. Weiss is a good center but it would turn out to be the same situation as with Rick Nash in Columbus a star player whose talent goes to waste because they have no talent to help him out.
Like SV said he wouldn't have trouble scoring here. And btw that lineup would only be that way this season, then we can use part of that 20mil to sign a 1st line center and we would instantly have one of the best top lines in the NHL.

Beezer is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 01:34 AM
  #14
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,207
vCash: 500
I think we're at least a year, possibly two, away from Tallon making a splash in Free Agency. We all know he has a track record for it, but this isn't the time for it. Tallon wants to build through the draft, and plug in the holes through FA.

I'm not much a Kovy fan, either, he had a similar cast in Atlanta and wasn't able to get into the playoffs, or do much in them. He wouldn't want to sign here.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is online now  
Old
07-22-2010, 02:11 AM
  #15
WhalersPride
 
WhalersPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida / Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Waste of money.

We need W's under our belt not a name on the back of a jersey to sell to the masses.

WhalersPride is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 03:43 AM
  #16
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
this isnt the year for FA signings... im happy tallon isnt putting us in the ******* this summer with stupid contracts. the new cba isnt too far away, and there will be changes i promise u that. keep deals short term, continue the tanking process and do this properely

Gudbranson44 is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
  #17
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
Kovy wouldn't come here and, even if he would, we should take a pass. As painful as it will be, we need to rebuild, which essentially means tanking for the next couple of seasons, going with youth and building through the draft.

Besides, we are pretty much broke and could not afford Kovy anyway...

SufferingCatFan is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 07:58 AM
  #18
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
If we sign Kovy, my left testicle says we don't make the playoffs. My right one says we will never sign him.

My brain says please, dear god stop thinking that it is remotely possible.

P.S. We need a center, not a winger.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
  #19
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
If we sign Kovy, my left testicle says we don't make the playoffs. My right one says we will never sign him.

My brain says please, dear god stop thinking that it is remotely possible.

P.S. We need a center, not a winger.
PPS, tell your testes to stop talking, it's weirding me out!

Laus723 is online now  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:12 AM
  #20
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
PPS, tell your testes to stop talking, it's weirding me out!
I can't, they do what they want -- I'm a guy.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
  #21
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I can't, they do what they want -- I'm a guy.
True.







True.

Laus723 is online now  
Old
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
  #22
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,763
vCash: 500
I think this goes down as the most moot thread I've ever seen.

I think there's a 95% chance or greater Kovalchuk and the Devils take their contract to arbitration against the league's ruling. Due to the league's negligence, as Coolburn pointed out, the arbitrator is likely to find in their favor. I think the best-chance outcome is that the contract is upheld without the final two years, making it a 15-year deal for just under $101 million, ending when he's 42 and keeping it in line with deals the league accepted for Hossa and Pronger.

So the odds of Kovalchuk ever being available for this conversation to matter? Not enough to bother keeping this thread open.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.