HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

#9 Montreal Canadiens prospects

View Poll Results: who's #9?
Cedrick Desjardins, G 5 2.63%
Joonas Nattinen, C 4 2.11%
Ben Maxwell, C 39 20.53%
Ian Schultz, RW 2 1.05%
Gabriel Dumont, C 1 0.53%
Aaron Palushaj, RW 21 11.05%
Andreas Engqvist, C 20 10.53%
Ryan White, C 27 14.21%
Mathieu Carle, D 15 7.89%
Maxim Trunev, RW 1 0.53%
Greg Pateryn, D 0 0%
David Desharnais, C 29 15.26%
Steve Quailer, RW 1 0.53%
Mac Bennett, D 19 10.00%
Brock Trotter, C 6 3.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2010, 07:14 AM
  #26
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
It's not his statistics which are unimpressive, like the way he plays like he's got a dozen of eggs in his shorts, and without any instincts, just pulling the same plays again and again and again (I remember one preseason game he dumped the puck in the offensive zone 3 times in the same shift, still, he just couldn't win the battle along the boards and kept giving the puck back to the opponent). This, and defensively, he's had his share of struggles against bigger guys.

This guy has AHLer written all over him.
I agree, Maxwell's style screams Brad Richards so I think he'll up being a poor man's Brad Richards.........in the AHL.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
  #27
sukimono
Registered User
 
sukimono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PQ
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Desharnais

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
  #28
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Maxwell, add Ellis

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
  #29
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Mac Bennett

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
  #30
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Maxwell, add Conboy!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:29 AM
  #31
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Bennett, add Stejskal.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
  #32
AndyDusso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Voted Maxwell,

add Morgan Ellis

AndyDusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
  #33
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
It's not his statistics which are unimpressive, like the way he plays like he's got a dozen of eggs in his shorts, and without any instincts, just pulling the same plays again and again and again (I remember one preseason game he dumped the puck in the offensive zone 3 times in the same shift, still, he just couldn't win the battle along the boards and kept giving the puck back to the opponent). This, and defensively, he's had his share of struggles against bigger guys.

This guy has AHLer written all over him.
I disagree that he has AHL written all over. He might need more time to adjust is all. Just like Weber, he was also not confident on ice and following the play. Remember, last year was Maxwell's first pro year. Maybe he needs more time, but ever since we drafted him, I liked this guy. He is a great skater and has great vision. His passes are on tape and solid. The fact that he pulls the same plays cries out that he has no confidence. He also isn't playing with quality players: Darche, Metropolit, Berergon, etc. Next year, I think he will play better. I really hope he dosen't become another Corey Locke!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
  #34
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I agree, Maxwell's style screams Brad Richards so I think he'll up being a poor man's Brad Richards.........in the AHL.


You do realize Maxwell is only 22, and that his development has been hampered by injuries, right?

If you think you know what's gonna happen with such a young player who does have potential, then I can tell you don't know what you are talking about.

Forget about being a poor-man's Brad Richards, chances are Maxwell will be a NHLer, not a AHL lifer.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
  #35
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,643
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
I disagree that he has AHL written all over. He might need more time to adjust is all. Just like Weber, he was also not confident on ice and following the play. Remember, last year was Maxwell's first pro year. Maybe he needs more time, but ever since we drafted him, I liked this guy. He is a great skater and has great vision. His passes are on tape and solid. The fact that he pulls the same plays cries out that he has no confidence. He also isn't playing with quality players: Darche, Metropolit, Berergon, etc. Next year, I think he will play better. I really hope he dosen't become another Corey Locke!
I agree with what you're saying, but if you mean 'last year' as the one that just passed, it was his 2nd pro season, not first.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
  #36
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post


You do realize Maxwell is only 22, and that his development has been hampered by injuries, right?

If you think you know what's gonna happen with such a young player who does have potential, then I can tell you don't know what you are talking about.

Forget about being a poor-man's Brad Richards, chances are Maxwell will be a NHLer, not a AHL lifer.
When I say "I think", it implies to that's my best guess of what will happen with his career.

I don't see Maxwell having the intangibles to play a bottom 6 role, and I don't think he's intense or powerful enough to put up good enough numbers at the NHL level to justify a top 6 role.

I'd like you to PM me a little more information on how you "can tell I don't know what I'm talking about". Seems like a fairly steep thing to say given that a lot of people probably agree with me. (I can also discuss my background with you through PM if you'd like; you'll probably find I'm fairly 'well-traveled' in the hockey world and perhaps retract your statement).

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
  #37
Natedawg
Lars Eller
 
Natedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Palushaj

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
  #38
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Desharnais AHL09-10 GP: 60 G: 27 A: 51 Pts: 78
Playoff Gp: 19 G: 10 A: 13 Pts:23

Boucher also said he was the most intelligent player he ever coach, the guy will play top line in the NHL real soon and he will make the team this year

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
  #39
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Next poll will be a close one. Maybe I'm being a homer but we have lots of quality NHL prospects. If you need a laugh head over to the leafs prospect pool. After their #1 it drops pretty fast

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:55 PM
  #40
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
I don't understand the lack of love for Desjardins. Can someone explain? I think he should be in the discussion at this point. It's true that his playoffs were average, but he had a phenomenal season before that. I think he and Desharnais were the most impressive players in Hamilton last year, after Subban of course. He's a little bit older but goalers often take more time to reach their potential.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
  #41
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I don't understand the lack of love for Desjardins. Can someone explain? I think he should be in the discussion at this point. It's true that his playoffs were average, but he had a phenomenal season before that. I think he and Desharnais were the most impressive players in Hamilton last year, after Subban of course. He's a little bit older but goalers often take more time to reach their potential.
Sanford was more impressive then Desjardins, granted it was only Desjardins 2nd full year in the AHL and Sanford has NHL experience so he should be better, but Sanford was the best goalie I've seen in Hamilton, especially if you discount his struggles when he returned from injury, as perhaps it rushed back.

As someone that saw almost every game, I think Subban and Desharnais were the best players, Sanford the best goalie. Not to take anything away from Desjardins who was excellent in his own right for the most part. He did struggle in the playoffs, which is why when Sanford returned from injury again, he was put into the lineup and never conceeded the net again.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
  #42
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. He needs to be more aggressive though, other than that, in a proper opportunity, I don't see why he can't at least have 3rd line center potential.
Because he's soft as butter.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:41 PM
  #43
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but if you mean 'last year' as the one that just passed, it was his 2nd pro season, not first.
My mistake!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 02:59 PM
  #44
patsbury
Registered User
 
patsbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal or Drummond
Country: Canada
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Add Fortier

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
  #45
Jean-Guy Drouin*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
It's nice to see that the vote is getting less one sided as of now.

As for me, I voted Ryan White.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
  #46
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,089
vCash: 500
Desharnais.....by a mile

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
  #47
Maitz
Chucky#27
 
Maitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
I like the upside of Palushaj, showed great skills in playoffs.


Add Conboy, still surprised he's not on the list.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
  #48
Rammztar
 
Rammztar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rammztar
I vote for Ryan White....this kid will be a great grinder for us.

Add Gallagher

Rammztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:10 PM
  #49
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,643
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Because he's soft as butter.
So I keep hearing. I think we're all expecting every player to be some physical force out there...Maxwell won't be that, he can be a good player just the same though, he just needs confidence and time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
  #50
ruski17
Registered User
 
ruski17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So I keep hearing. I think we're all expecting every player to be some physical force out there...Maxwell won't be that, he can be a good player just the same though, he just needs confidence and time.
At least he's 6 ft.1 so he gives us some size. Even if he dosen't play physical, he isn't a smurf.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.