HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Stillman and Olesz: Dead Men Still Walking

Old
07-22-2010, 06:44 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
Stillman and Olesz: Dead Men Still Walking

Any one else get the impression that Olesz and Stillman no longer fit into Tallon's plans? What is going to happen to them?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Any one else get the impression that Olesz and Stillman no longer fit into Tallon's plans? What is going to happen to them?
Stillman will be traded at the deadline, Olesz I don't think we can get anything for and will be bought out next offseason when a buyout is more beneficial for the team as Coolburn has determined.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
god I can't wait to see Olesz gone

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:12 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Stillman will be traded at the deadline, Olesz I don't think we can get anything for and will be bought out next offseason when a buyout is more beneficial for the team as Coolburn has determined.
I agree. At worse, Stillman just plays through his contract season, or is traded at the deadline. Olesz wont be moved, unless Tallon can somehow work some magic and get a late round pick for him. If he could somehow do that, and with a budget hopefully around $50-53 million, we would have $31-34 million to spend on UFAs, and our RFAs.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Saevel

Buying out Olesz makes no sense. We don't need the cap space, most likely won't next year either, he's still young and has shown potential earlier, he works hard, he's not small..

Also, his contract is bad, but not horrible. Consider this; he put up about the same amount of points as MacArthur this year, who the arbitrator suggested should earn 2,4mil / year (compared to Olesz' 3,1). And Olesz is bigger than MacArthur, had a much better +/- despite playing on a (slightly) worse team.

All in all, I think there's reason to be patient with Olesz. Not if we were contenders perhaps, but considering our situation..

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:37 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevel View Post
Buying out Olesz makes no sense. We don't need the cap space, most likely won't next year either, he's still young and has shown potential earlier, he works hard, he's not small..

Also, his contract is bad, but not horrible. Consider this; he put up about the same amount of points as MacArthur this year, who the arbitrator suggested should earn 2,4mil / year (compared to Olesz' 3,1). And Olesz is bigger than MacArthur, had a much better +/- despite playing on a (slightly) worse team.

All in all, I think there's reason to be patient with Olesz. Not if we were contenders perhaps, but considering our situation..
Yep, I agree. There's no way we buy him out. Either he gets to his potential and plays well, if not he's not going to be resigned.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Yep, I agree. There's no way we buy him out. Either he gets to his potential and plays well, if not he's not going to be resigned.
While we dont need the cap space now, Tallon may want more flexibility long term. But its not just about his cap hit but also his actual salary in the next few yrs. He had a back loaded contract so in following 3 yrs his salary is going to increase to more than what his production would warrant ($3.4M, $4.0M, $4.25M).

His contract is horrible when you look at the salary and his production for this organization. They cant waste good money (not cap space) on a player that produces to Olesz's level. He's got one season to turn things around IMO. Either way, I see him off the team after this season as if he ever moderately produces, Tallon will probably then be able to get something for him. And if he doesnt produce, he gets bought out for a small cap hit next offseason (less than $700K) since he's still under 26 then (buyout would be only 1/3 of remaining salary).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
What are you talking about? After this season, Olesz has three years, and $11.65 million left on his contract. If he doesnt have his best season as a pro this year, I definitely think Tallon would look to buy him out. He gets $4 million and $4.25 million in his last two years of his deal, and thats WAY too much for what he brings to the team, statistically.

Old
07-22-2010, 09:10 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
What are you talking about? After this season, Olesz has three years, and $11.65 million left on his contract. If he doesnt have his best season as a pro this year, I definitely think Tallon would look to buy him out. He gets $4 million and $4.25 million in his last two years of his deal, and thats WAY too much for what he brings to the team, statistically.

I mean he doesn't get resigned after his contract is up. No one will trade for him, so I guess we're just going stick with him. Buying him out would still be a lot of money for us for nothing.

After this season we have Vokoun, McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak coming off the books, that's a lot of money. Meanwhile management probably isn't happy with Olesz, we can still afford him and he's still young.

But I might be wrong....

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Olesz it's do or die situation (kinda) either he finally pops in 20-30 goals and 50-60 points and we keep him or next off season Panthers buy him out and he signs a 1 year cheap deal with another NHL team and breaks out

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
If Olesz plays out that contract here in his last year I think he'd be our most paid forward Actually I think currently he is 2nd behind Booth. How Olesz got more money than Weiss baffles me

Old
07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
KWGoon

I've always been a very vocal critic of Olesz, in fact right from the beginning (getting a lot of crap for it here early when I said he's too soft), but I suddenly find myself thinking this is the year he might surprise us. He's a skill player, and is strong on his skates, but not good at taking (or giving) a physical pounding. However, the physical part could be better this year if we have a lineup that's otherwise tougher, as Tallon has promised. If this pans out, it might be a career year for Olesz.

In any case, I agree with Mogo, it's close to do or die for Mr. Backhand.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I've always been a very vocal critic of Olesz, in fact right from the beginning (getting a lot of crap for it here early when I said he's too soft), but I suddenly find myself thinking this is the year he might surprise us. He's a skill player, and is strong on his skates, but not good at taking (or giving) a physical pounding. However, the physical part could be better this year if we have a lineup that's otherwise tougher, as Tallon has promised. If this pans out, it might be a career year for Olesz.

In any case, I agree with Mogo, it's close to do or die for Mr. Backhand.
That would be a best case scenario, as I think Tallon would trade Olesz if he could increase his value by playing well.

I think this season should be Olesz's last chance. If he can't turn it around, he should be bought out. With the number of prospects we have that will be coming up to the NHL, we can't afford to keep wasting a roster spot on Olesz. He's had long enough to prove he belongs, and to this point he's been injury prone and a consistent underachiever.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Olesz it's do or die situation (kinda) either he finally pops in 20-30 goals and 50-60 points and we keep him or next off season Panthers buy him out and he signs a 1 year cheap deal with another NHL team and breaks out
Heard that lot's of times the past 3 years.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Heard that lot's of times the past 3 years.
I concur, I don't see him having this "break out year" people speak of , I think it's more wishful thinking from the guys here, since he has that ridiculous contract

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
I mean he doesn't get resigned after his contract is up. No one will trade for him, so I guess we're just going stick with him. Buying him out would still be a lot of money for us for nothing.

After this season we have Vokoun, McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak coming off the books, that's a lot of money. Meanwhile management probably isn't happy with Olesz, we can still afford him and he's still young.

But I might be wrong....
Yes now there isnt any GMs willing to trade for him because of his production. MacArthur was pointed out in this thread and Atlanta walked away from that arbitration award. So players of that ilk shouldnt be paid more than $2M per season, plain and simple. Buying him out would not be significantly costly as compared to paying him his full salary. I think they'd owe him like $4M but spread out over 6 yrs so its less than $700K per season. You really justify it by saying it would be a lot of money for us for nothing....its still far too much to pay PERIOD to keep him on the roster. Just because other guys are coming off the books doesnt mean they should spend bad money on Olesz and that they can afford him.

And when does he stop being "still young" exactly? Cause at 25 with 5 seasons of NHL experience (and him not being a powerforward-type), I think that "reason/excuse" no longer should hold true. If he doesnt produce to the level of his pay this season, its time to cut him loose and save over $2M per season and buy him out. I'm sure Tallon is thinking the same thing too.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yes now there isnt any GMs willing to trade for him because of his production. MacArthur was pointed out in this thread and Atlanta walked away from that arbitration award. So players of that ilk shouldnt be paid more than $2M per season, plain and simple. Buying him out would not be significantly costly as compared to paying him his full salary. I think they'd owe him like $4M but spread out over 6 yrs so its less than $700K per season. You really justify it by saying it would be a lot of money for us for nothing....its still far too much to pay PERIOD to keep him on the roster. Just because other guys are coming off the books doesnt mean they should spend bad money on Olesz and that they can afford him.

And when does he stop being "still young" exactly? Cause at 25 with 5 seasons of NHL experience (and him not being a powerforward-type), I think that "reason/excuse" no longer should hold true. If he doesnt produce to the level of his pay this season, its time to cut him loose and save over $2M per season and buy him out. I'm sure Tallon is thinking the same thing too.
I agree. The $700k would look much better on the books than the millions he would be owed. That money can be spent elsewhere, and Im sure we could get a similar type player for half his amount. I just cant see him doing anything this season that would warrant Tallon not buying him out.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
I concur, I don't see him having this "break out year" people speak of , I think it's more wishful thinking from the guys here, since he has that ridiculous contract
I agree that it's probably wishful thinking. For my part, I'll say that this is the first time EVER that I have thought Olesz just might have an ok year.

But, have you ever owned a property that was just enough under water that you didn't want to keep it but not so far under water that you wanted to go through the cost and downside of foreclosure? I think that's the kind of asset Olesz is this year. Next year the decision will probably be clear.

Bottom line is also, the roster looks so bad, I gotta wish for some surprises. I'm not expecting it from Olesz though, just giving reasoning how it could happen if it did. Panthers physical play would help him IMO.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
We can dream.. Were due for a break.

Old
07-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We can dream.. Were due for a break.
i love this negative optimism (that sounds impossible haha) that us pantherfans posses, it makes me smile every time

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote