HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Schedule (EDIT: Set for release on Wed. 8/25)

Old
09-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Rumblick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlhddoc2 View Post
Hutch, when did that happen? I distinctly remember watching some AHL games on NESN last season. I cant for the life of me remember who was playing, but pretty sure it was Providence. Plus, the number of "TV Time Outs" at the games has significantly increased over the years. when I first went to games, there wasnt a single TV time out to be had except in the playoffs. Now, every time an icing is called, there is a TV time out.
Actually, "TV" timeouts aren't necessarily for TV. They're just promotional timeouts to give the players a break and to (hopefully) sell something. If a team has a TV deal and uses them for commercials, that's good, but even teams that don't (Hershey being one) has them every night.

Also, there is a league-mandated limit of 3 per period.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
The Wolves show all their games on the Comcast Local Channel. It is part of digital basic service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
With a few of the home Saturday and/or Sunday games appearing on Over-the-Air available My50 Chicago last season. I would assume they'd keep the arrangement for this year.
The wolves games are also on Comcast On Demand for a short period of time after the game is played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Actually, "TV" timeouts aren't necessarily for TV. They're just promotional timeouts to give the players a break and to (hopefully) sell something. If a team has a TV deal and uses them for commercials, that's good, but even teams that don't (Hershey being one) has them every night.

Also, there is a league-mandated limit of 3 per period.
TV will fit commercials in where they think they can get them in. If they can get one in after a fight, they do. IF they can get one in if there are discussions on a penalty, they do.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Hutch, when did that happen? I distinctly remember watching some AHL games on NESN last season. I cant for the life of me remember who was playing, but pretty sure it was Providence. Plus, the number of "TV Time Outs" at the games has significantly increased over the years. when I first went to games, there wasnt a single TV time out to be had except in the playoffs. Now, every time an icing is called, there is a TV time out.
where have you been:

Hartford's contract expired the year after the Pack were put on delay the final year on MSG, THE NETWORK has since been sold twice.... Providence College, not the pro team is part of Hockey East on NESN

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
I distinctly remember watching some AHL games on NESN last season.
I don't think it was last season. The AHL website still has the 2009-10 TV schedule up, and it doesn't show any games on NESN. Now, maybe there was a tape delay thing that isn't on this schedule, but I can only relate what is shown here. NESN seems to have produced the All-Star game the last couple years, but I can't find anything about P-Bruins games.

09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
mtlhddoc2

Quote:
I don't think it was last season. The AHL website still has the 2009-10 TV schedule up, and it doesn't show any games on NESN. Now, maybe there was a tape delay thing that isn't on this schedule, but I can only relate what is shown here. NESN seems to have produced the All-Star game the last couple years, but I can't find anything about P-Bruins games.
That could be, early morning or late night replays of games. fill in stuff sometimes too, I suppose. Or "simulcasting" when there were changes in the schedule. If there is one thing you can count on from NESN is that the schedule is more of a "suggestion" than anything else.

mtlhddoc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
mtlhddoc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
where have you been:

Hartford's contract expired the year after the Pack were put on delay the final year on MSG, THE NETWORK has since been sold twice.... Providence College, not the pro team is part of Hockey East on NESN
Sorry, I dont study TV contracts for minor league teams. Plus, I dont believe I mentioned the Wolfpack (and have not reviewed my post recently). I live in RI, and I attend PBs games exclusively, I have no interest, nor would I watch college games. Only the PBs, plus possibly their playoff opponents (in a playoff year) and the occasional NHL game.

I also dont believe I mentioned the MSG network at all.

I dont necessarily seek out PBs games on television, but do "find them" while flipping.

Old
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Frank Booth

It costs literally nothing to get airtime on a public access cable, like Comcast or Time Warner. All the team has to pay for is production costs. However, since AHL teams show games for advertisement purposes, these games are limited only to the people who are customers of that particular cable company. If you have DirecTv, Dish, Fios, or just rabbit ears, you are SOL. It costs a lot more to buy time on an OTA station or a satellite-delivered RSN, which is available, theoretically, to all households in that market. I would feel confident in saying that the Wolves spent more to have the 10 or so games on the OTA station than the 70 or so games on Comcast public access cable. But those games were available to a much wider audience. Meaning more people could possibly stumble across the game on TV, and maybe buy a ticket for a future game. Which is exactly why Lake Erie buys time on FSN Ohio and WUAB instead of doing a cable-only deal.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
It costs literally nothing to get airtime on a public access cable, like Comcast or Time Warner. All the team has to pay for is production costs. However, since AHL teams show games for advertisement purposes, these games are limited only to the people who are customers of that particular cable company. If you have DirecTv, Dish, Fios, or just rabbit ears, you are SOL. It costs a lot more to buy time on an OTA station or a satellite-delivered RSN, which is available, theoretically, to all households in that market. I would feel confident in saying that the Wolves spent more to have the 10 or so games on the OTA station than the 70 or so games on Comcast public access cable. But those games were available to a much wider audience. Meaning more people could possibly stumble across the game on TV, and maybe buy a ticket for a future game. Which is exactly why Lake Erie buys time on FSN Ohio and WUAB instead of doing a cable-only deal.
Are you saying that having less than 25% of your games available on TV is better than having all your games on TV, regardless of the outlet? Not sure how you justify that. You have far more opportunities to see a game if they are all broadcast (regular season and playoffs) versus a grand total of 19.

And do you know how many games the Wolves had on free (i.e. non-cable) TV?

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:27 AM
RFA

The three mandated media timeouts per period are brutal in my opinion. I have heard way more complaints about that then the unbalanced schedule from local fans. Why hurry up the faceoffs and everything else, just to wait?? The Olympics were very popular in the sense the game flowed more without the abrupt stoppages.

Lou L was quoted that he's looking for a TV deal for Albany. He didn't give out many more details than that.

One issue with the production costs is if the arena is a union shop (like Albany), they have to hire union workers and follow those guidelines.....

Why aren't the WolfPack on MSG anymore? Those games were fun to watch.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
aparch

Quote:
I still have the 2009-10 schedule next to my desk here at work.
15 home games were on My50 Chicago (Over-the-Air). Ten were Saturday games, five were Sunday.*

Before I moved to Chicagoland, I heard that Wolves games used to be available on Over-the-Air WCIU channel 26.

My first year watching (2005-06), 100% of the games were on Comcast local access CN100.

*(And the production output was so much better on My50 (enhanced 16:9 definition, not true HD) than the over-compressed bandwidth reduced CN100 channel (standard Def). Comparable to WGN's Hawks broadcasts in HD. But that's a discussion for another thread. )

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
I still have the 2009-10 schedule next to my desk here at work.
15 home games were on My50 Chicago (Over-the-Air). Ten were Saturday games, five were Sunday.*

Before I moved to Chicagoland, I heard that Wolves games used to be available on Over-the-Air WCIU channel 26.

My first year watching (2005-06), 100% of the games were on Comcast local access CN100.

*(And the production output was so much better on My50 (enhanced 16:9 definition, not true HD) than the over-compressed bandwidth reduced CN100 channel (standard Def). Comparable to WGN's Hawks broadcasts in HD. But that's a discussion for another thread. )
The Wolves also used to be on the radio, right after Steve Dahl..

But back to the discussion - The schedule has no variety, most teams do not have games on TV and the more games on TV the better exposure, regardless of the conduit (cable, satellite, etc.).

The AHL and its member teams, for the most part, do little to publicize their game. I have spent a significant amount of time here in houston that past two years and I can tell you that the people I worked with first heard about the team from me!! So while the casual fan may not care about the opponent, the season ticket holder does and they are the ones that promote the game most by talking to friends who talk to friends, etc.

Old
09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Sorry, I dont study TV contracts for minor league teams. Plus, I dont believe I mentioned the Wolfpack (and have not reviewed my post recently). I live in RI, and I attend PBs games exclusively, I have no interest, nor would I watch college games. Only the PBs, plus possibly their playoff opponents (in a playoff year) and the occasional NHL game.

I also dont believe I mentioned the MSG network at all.

I dont necessarily seek out PBs games on television, but do "find them" while flipping.
Providence was taken off NESN AND WENT TO COX 3, About THE MID 90S, Hartford was the last Atlantic Division team to televise games throughout New England, which as I stated ended about 4 years ago

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
mtlhddoc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Providence was taken off NESN AND WENT TO COX 3, About THE MID 90S, Hartford was the last Atlantic Division team to televise games throughout New England, which as I stated ended about 4 years ago
Yeah, I didnt see anything in your response to me about the PBs at all, nor about "4 years ago" just some cryptic "after they went to delay" message. Like I said, i follow the PBs exclusively, I go to about 15 games a year and catch them on TV occassionally. I will watch a BB game now and again on NESN or VS - and honestly, I could have sworn I saw at least a couple of AHL games on NESN last year, could have been tape delays or one shots, no idea. As for other teams, well, THIS IS WHY I ASKED THE DARN QUESTION. Had you not copped this know-it-all holier-than-thou attitude, I would have not even kept replying,

Old
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Yeah, I didnt see anything in your response to me about the PBs at all, nor about "4 years ago" just some cryptic "after they went to delay" message. Like I said, i follow the PBs exclusively, I go to about 15 games a year and catch them on TV occassionally. I will watch a BB game now and again on NESN or VS - and honestly, I could have sworn I saw at least a couple of AHL games on NESN last year, could have been tape delays or one shots, no idea. As for other teams, well, THIS IS WHY I ASKED THE DARN QUESTION. Had you not copped this know-it-all holier-than-thou attitude, I would have not even kept replying,

Congrats.......you've just been introduced into the world known and the "hutchian zone"..........don't struggle, and fighting it is useless.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post

Congrats.......you've just been introduced into the world known and the "hutchian zone"..........don't struggle, and fighting it is useless.

Wasn't that on the album 2112 by Rush??

Old
09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
mtlhddoc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post

does this mean I am family now? LOL

Old
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
axecrew

Quote:
does this mean I am family now? LOL
His or ours????

Old
09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Wasn't that on the album 2112 by Rush??

Nope....hopefully Exit Stage Left....

Old
09-10-2010, 11:09 PM
mtlhddoc2

I already have family like that, so Im going to vote "ours" LOL

Old
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Frank Booth

Quote:
Are you saying that having less than 25% of your games available on TV is better than having all your games on TV, regardless of the outlet? Not sure how you justify that. You have far more opportunities to see a game if they are all broadcast (regular season and playoffs) versus a grand total of 19.

IIRC, the Wolves had about 15 games on 50 last season. But those games were available to much, much higher percentage of households then the other 65 games on the public access cable. It advertising 101. Get the product you are selling in front of more eyeballs, potential customers. Look at it from that standpoint, not from a fan's point of view. For a fan like you, it's great that all games are available to you. But that's not the point of showing the games. The point is to show the product to turn people from potential customers to ticket buying clients. And to do that they need to get as much exposure as possible. But if you don't believe me, fine, but call MY50 and find out how much it costs to buy a block of time, and then call Comcast Cable and ask them the same question, and you will find out if I am right or not.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:11 PM
mtlhddoc2

another way to do it is to shove your players out the door to go to every silly drug store or supermarket opening, having them sign autographs at ice cream parlors and waffle houses and such.... the events around here with the PB players draw pretty good.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:17 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
IIRC, the Wolves had about 15 games on 50 last season. But those games were available to much, much higher percentage of households then the other 65 games on the public access cable. It advertising 101. Get the product you are selling in front of more eyeballs, potential customers. Look at it from that standpoint, not from a fan's point of view. For a fan like you, it's great that all games are available to you. But that's not the point of showing the games. The point is to show the product to turn people from potential customers to ticket buying clients. And to do that they need to get as much exposure as possible. But if you don't believe me, fine, but call MY50 and find out how much it costs to buy a block of time, and then call Comcast Cable and ask them the same question, and you will find out if I am right or not.
Also remember the televised My50 games were Friday/Saturday/Sunday, games that pack the arena, rather than advertise the dead space that is the Allstate (or any other AHL arena) during the week. A smart move to show those games on Comcast during the week, for the return IMO.

cjerina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Timl2009

Update:
FSN Ohio and WUAB are going to air 15 Lake Erie Monsters games rather than 20 this year..And, for the first time in the Monsters 3-plus year AHL History, all 80 games will be aired live on the radio..40 each on WKNR-850 and WHKW-1220..

Timl2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Hammer79

Just a quick question... After looking over the team schedule pages on the AHL's site, it seems that Bridgeport and Manchester only have 79 games on their schedule, while every other team has 80. Is there a make-up game between these two teams yet to be scheduled?

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote