HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

Old
04-14-2012, 12:40 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
I have a feeling he will go top2...
Agreed. Not sure why so many people see Murray falling, but it doesn't make sense.

For those comparing Murray to Fowler/Gormley, Fowler/Gormley were excellent prospects, but Murray is an exceptional prospect, imho.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Agreed. Not sure why so many people see Murray falling, but it doesn't make sense.

For those comparing Murray to Fowler/Gormley, Fowler/Gormley were excellent prospects, but Murray is an exceptional prospect, imho.
That, and the top prospects are Russians. The fact is that these Russian kids have the opportunity to get really really rich really really fast in the KHL. This isn't a Cherry-esque racism remark, it is purely economical. Russian prospects simply have a risk premium that other's do not have.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
boredmale

Way I can see it in a worst case scenario there is a high priority on forwards which means, Nail, Grigs, Galy and Filip are all top 5 picks and there might be 2 defensemen(most likely Dumba and Rielly) that certain teams like better then Murray meaning the lowest Murray falls would 7th.

All that being said I don't think he makes it past 4 and if he does Toronto might pass on him(even if all 3 forwards I mentioned are off the board) but I don't see Minnesota(6) passing on him

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
That, and the top prospects are Russians. The fact is that these Russian kids have the opportunity to get really really rich really really fast in the KHL. This isn't a Cherry-esque racism remark, it is purely economical. Russian prospects simply have a risk premium that other's do not have.
I reluctantly agree and I get all that. If you however look from the Teams that are drafting, all of them need size up front. Only team that really needs a D are the Oilers and there is no way they pass on Yakupov.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Laino

I don't know why but I feel like Columbus may just take him at 2 :/ and if they don't I think the Islanders take one of Dumba/Murray and then Minnesota takes the other at 7

Laino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laino View Post
I don't know why but I feel like Columbus may just take him at 2 :/ and if they don't I think the Islanders take one of Dumba/Murray and then Minnesota takes the other at 7
my mistake on last page, I don't really see him dropping past Anaheim(6) not Minnesota

Old
04-14-2012, 01:40 PM
ponder

I can see him going as high as 2nd overall, and as low as ... 7th? He's my favourite dman prospect in the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of Dumba, Rielly or Trouba went ahead of him.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
backdoorpass

fowler fell because scouts thought he was to soft, thats why he didnt just fall out of top 5, if murray falls out of top 5, he will get picked in next two picks i would imagine, and wouldnt have to do on skill or how he plays, just that teams ahead are looking for something else

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I can see him going as high as 2nd overall, and as low as ... 7th? He's my favourite dman prospect in the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of Dumba, Rielly or Trouba went ahead of him.
I don't see Trouba being picked ahead of Murray. I think if somebody is down on Murray it will be because they don't think he has high end offense, which will be the same knock against Trouba. Only advantage Trouba has on Murray is he is bigger, but I do think Murry has a higher ceiling offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoorpass View Post
fowler fell because scouts thought he was to soft, thats why he didnt just fall out of top 5
From my understanding Fowler interviewed terribly

Old
04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I don't get all this Oilers won't pass on Yakupov talk. This guy isn't exactly Ovechkin and he has more bust potential than Ryan Murray. Murray is a great skater and would fit well in the Oilers' system. At worst, he becomes a reliable number 2 defenceman. Their top line of the future is already set, they don't need Yakupov.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
backdoorpass

interview is some of it, but not to the degree of how scouts thought he was soft

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride of Chuckie View Post
Any normal organization that is lacking a high-end defensive prospect would never pass on Murray - this is the Islanders.

I'm hoping Garth doesn't try and get cute on draft day and trade down for Dumba if Murray is still available at 4, only to acquire more picks. Like we need any more draft picks.
I'd trade down for Trouba

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I don't see Trouba being picked ahead of Murray. I think if somebody is down on Murray it will be because they don't think he has high end offense, which will be the same knock against Trouba. Only advantage Trouba has on Murray is he is bigger, but I do think Murry has a higher ceiling offensively.
Yeah, my guess is that Murray will be the first dman taken, but you never know. Trouba is a guy who I haven't seen play at all outside of the WJCs, so I'm just going off scouting reports, and the fact that big, physical, mobile 2-way dmen tend to go pretty high. I have seen a little bit more of Rienhart and Ceci, which is why I feel safer saying that they'll go behind Murray, but for me personally Trouba is a bit of a wildcard.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:07 PM
txomisc

If Columbus doesn't take him I could certainly see him falling out of the top 5. If I am Columbus I probably take Galchenyuk. I think the Islanders will look to take a D but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Murray isn't the number 1 defenseman on their list. I could also see Montreal taking in which could lead to Grigorenko falling out of the top 5.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:10 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Yeah, my guess is that Murray will be the first dman taken, but you never know. Trouba is a guy who I haven't seen play at all outside of the WJCs, so I'm just going off scouting reports, and the fact that big, physical, mobile 2-way dmen tend to go pretty high. I have seen a little bit more of Rienhart and Ceci, which is why I feel safer saying that they'll go behind Murray, but for me personally Trouba is a bit of a wildcard.
Even if he looks better than a guy like Reinhart you could very easily have a team that projects Reinhart to be better in the future. Yakupov is the only guy I'd say is an absolute lock to go top 5.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:04 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmaster12345 View Post
I don't get all this Oilers won't pass on Yakupov talk. This guy isn't exactly Ovechkin and he has more bust potential than Ryan Murray. Murray is a great skater and would fit well in the Oilers' system. At worst, he becomes a reliable number 2 defenceman. Their top line of the future is already set, they don't need Yakupov.
He broke the OHL scoring title.......... He's probably ok.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:14 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmaster12345 View Post
It's not a matter of need, but a matter of BPA. In a lottery position, that's what the pick has to be. Even in the entire first round, that's what the pick should be, although some teams sometimes ignore this basic tenet.

The only way you should pass on BPA in favour of need, in the first round especially, is if there is a player on the board who undoubtedly will fill the one weakness in your lineup.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 04-14-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
04-14-2012, 05:28 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
And if Edmonton keeps their first overall, I wouldnt be terribly shocked if Murray went first considering the Oilers are going to star losing all their games 8-6 if they keep up their draft patterns.
Actually, if they keep drafting BPA they will start winning.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:55 PM
RNH 93 rulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
If Columbus doesn't take him I could certainly see him falling out of the top 5. If I am Columbus I probably take Galchenyuk. I think the Islanders will look to take a D but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Murray isn't the number 1 defenseman on their list. I could also see Montreal taking in which could lead to Grigorenko falling out of the top 5.
X-atly this.

If CBJ does not pick him, he likely falls. MTL needs and will take a Center, either Grigs or Galchenyuk. Then it`s a question if the Islanders like a Trouba, Dumba or even Riley more than Murray. Stranger things have happend! But I really doubt, that MIN @ 7 will pass up on the guy.

RNH 93 rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:30 PM
DuckJet
HF Bad boy

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH 93 rulz View Post
X-atly this.

If CBJ does not pick him, he likely falls. MTL needs and will take a Center, either Grigs or Galchenyuk. Then it`s a question if the Islanders like a Trouba, Dumba or even Riley more than Murray. Stranger things have happend! But I really doubt, that MIN @ 7 will pass up on the guy.
Or if they like Forsberg. I don't see CBJ taking FF. Everybody seems to, but I just get the feeling CBJ is going to want talent that can come improve the team ASAP. That's why in my mind Murray is CBJ's ideal pick. NHL ready. Responsible. A born leader. It really makes too much sense.

But if it does go another way and I'm wrong it could look like this

Yakupov, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Dumba, Grigorenko, Murray.

No way Murray let's...lol...Murray fall past 6.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'm really glad the Oilers won the lottery so I'll never have to see Murray put on an Oilers jersey. Despite what everyone thinks, while we do have a pathetic D-core, an 18 year old soft defenseman isn't the answer.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 06:39 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I'm really glad the Oilers won the lottery so I'll never have to see Murray put on an Oilers jersey. Despite what everyone thinks, while we do have a pathetic D-core, an 18 year old soft defenseman isn't the answer.
Why do you think Murray is soft?

Old
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
OneSharpMarble

I could see a team take Dumba before him. That kind of powerful defenseman is not easy to come by.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:27 PM
hyster110

if you look at every draft from 2006 going back, every top 5 pick that has been a defenceman has been traded. its much easier to acquire a top end D then it is a Top forward

my personal oppinion is also that top drafted Dmen have much more pressure on them to perform than say a second round d man. and if you look at the top d men in the league, very few were first rounders

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
if you look at every draft from 2006 going back, every top 5 pick that has been a defenceman has been traded. its much easier to acquire a top end D then it is a Top forward

my personal oppinion is also that top drafted Dmen have much more pressure on them to perform than say a second round d man. and if you look at the top d men in the league, very few were first rounders
You mean back to '06?

If so, well, except for Doughty...and Pietrangelo...and Bogosian...and Schenn...and Alzner...and Hickey...and, ah, well, you get the point, I think.