HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

Old
04-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
I guess casual hockey fans will bash him because they dont see a lot of point production from the guy. His hockey IQ is unreal. He isnt flashy though, lets be honest. I heard some people saying Glen Wesley potential which IS a compliment if you are talking about his early years.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimTime View Post
In my opinion, I don't think he drops out of top 5.
Top 5 will probably be (not necessarily in order..)
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Murray
Forsberg

After those 5, there is a considerable drop in talent.
More of a top 6, I'd add Dumba into that group.

And it's not really a massive drop. The top 6 to me are 1st line wingers, top pairing guys. Outside of that are top 6 wingers, top 4 defensemen, and a tad bit riskier, but still great talent.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:29 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
You telling me there is nobody in the NHL who they could call that would be better at this point then Murray or a Euro Canadian?

Isn't Lowe managing the team? Sort of reeks doing a favor for the Oilers so they can get a better read on him
Lowe has a motive here.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
James Franco

The Ducks will take Murray if he drops out of the top 5

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:48 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
And if Edmonton keeps their first overall, I wouldnt be terribly shocked if Murray went first considering the Oilers are going to star losing all their games 8-6 if they keep up their draft patterns.

That would be a mistake. You dont pass on Yakupov to take someone else based on team need.

IMO Murray will go #2 to CBJ or #4 to NYI.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
I think Edmonton was planning on taking Ryan Murray all along(since last year). Last season they had a chance to address their biggest need, defense. They could've had Adam Larsson who is still considered a possible franchise d-man but they chose to ignore their true need and selected a Western Canadian center in Nugent-Hopkins. At the time, the 2012 draft was considered a deep draft of top end D-men, with Ryan Murray (another Western Canadian kid) topping that list of D. Now they'll have Jordan Eberle, Ryan Murray, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Taylor Hall as the corner stones of the franchise. All four of these guys are Western Canadians (Taylor Hall born & raised in Calgary until age 14)

Isles are going to settle for Dumba
Oilers won't pass on Yakupov for Murray.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:07 AM
fahad203

My thinking about Murray is that if he's not highly skilled, not necessarily the most physical player, nor the the most biggest. He's not really good at one big thing, can he translate all of the other skills set in NHL considering what's available top 5?

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Killemdeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
My thinking about Murray is that if he's not highly skilled, not necessarily the most physical player, nor the the most biggest. He's not really good at one big thing, can he translate all of the other skills set in NHL considering what's available top 5?
He is highly skilled? Where did you get that impression, I think he has significantly more offensive upside than anyone gives him credit for, he scored 50% of Everett's goals in their playoff series. And he's pretty fast and good on the rush as well as in his own end.

Killemdeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:32 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killemdeader View Post
He is highly skilled? Where did you get that impression, I think he has significantly more offensive upside than anyone gives him credit for, he scored 50% of Everett's goals in their playoff series. And he's pretty fast and good on the rush as well as in his own end.
Okay I do think his offense is underrated, but using playoff goals in a relatively short run isnt the sharpest example.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:49 AM
plikestechno

As an Oilers fan that wants them to pick yakupov, this whole experiment scares the hell out of me as an arrogant and stupid move on Lowe's part to try and sell Oilers fans on Murray. "Look, he's good enough to be on the worlds squad" they'll say in an attempt to justify picking him over yakupov or trading down instead of picking yakupov. I'm probably reading too much into it but the oilers organization is stupid and arrogant enough to do this. I think partly because its really in their heads that if they pick anyone from outside of western canada that the player will want out eventually.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:09 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
As an Oilers fan that wants them to pick yakupov, this whole experiment scares the hell out of me as an arrogant and stupid move on Lowe's part to try and sell Oilers fans on Murray. "Look, he's good enough to be on the worlds squad" they'll say in an attempt to justify picking him over yakupov or trading down instead of picking yakupov. I'm probably reading too much into it but the oilers organization is stupid and arrogant enough to do this. I think partly because its really in their heads that if they pick anyone from outside of western canada that the player will want out eventually.
Way I see it is Lowe is giving Murray a trial run to see if he is worth picking first, although your theory works equally as well

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Agreed. Lowe said he wouldn't trade the #1 pick barring massive overpayment but what if he actually wants to use it to pick Murray? I'm a little concerned over this whole thing.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Yashin for President

Someone made the point earlier, why would a team not choose the BPA? The Oilers cant sell to their fans that Murray is better than Yakupov no matter what Murray does in the Worlds if he even plays.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
birddog*

Quote:
There was similar outrage when teams passed on Filatov. Also called Mini-Ovechikin. He was just what teams needed.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
There was similar outrage when teams passed on Filatov. Also called Mini-Ovechikin. He was just what teams needed.
IMO Yakupov and Filatov are not comparable players at all, and neither one plays anything like Ovechkin either. Russia is a big country, they produce many different kinds of hockey players.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:37 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Is going to drop out of top 5? Something tells me he's going to be this year's Fowler. Which mind you is not a bad thing for the team that picks him up.

I don't think Montreal is going to draft him, they need some size up front, so does the Leafs who have tons of D at the back, Columbus needs a marketable player if Nash is to get traded or will probably get a young D in return.

Maybe I have been drinking too much
So if Murray drops, I'm assuming Yakupov, Grigerenko, Galchenyuk and Forsberg are all off the board when the Leafs pick. If Burke passes on Murray, I will lose complete faith and trust in Burke to run a hockey team. I don't care what the Leafs have on D, there is no one with Ryan Murray potential. Aside from Gardiner, there is no dman on the Leafs core that I would say is "safe". Murray gives the Leafs flexibility on defense and it gives them a potential top pairing dman moving forward something 29 other teams are always looking for.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:40 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
When was Filtaov called "mini-Ovechkin"? Their games are nothing alike.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:57 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Could possibly happen but I have high doubts that NYI would let him pass by.
Isles will nab Murray on draft day. Book it.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Oilers won't pass on Yakupov for Murray.
Pass on him, no. Trade down, very very possible.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:35 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Has an undrafted kid ever represented Canada in this tournament?

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Torts

take Murray 1 and dont trade down, im happy with canadians going 1st the past 4 years, make it 5.

but in reality trading down to 2 with columbus is the most likely and best choice

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
SensFan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Has an undrafted kid ever represented Canada in this tournament?
I don't even think Crosby did..

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Killemdeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Okay I do think his offense is underrated, but using playoff goals in a relatively short run isnt the sharpest example.
This is true, it was just a quick example. I've watched him at least 100 times, so I am biased, but his offense is really remarkable every game I watch. His team just can't find the wide open net a lot of the time, or able to capitalize on breakaways he creates.

Killemdeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
So if Murray drops, I'm assuming Yakupov, Grigerenko, Galchenyuk and Forsberg are all off the board when the Leafs pick. If Burke passes on Murray, I will lose complete faith and trust in Burke to run a hockey team. I don't care what the Leafs have on D, there is no one with Ryan Murray potential. Aside from Gardiner, there is no dman on the Leafs core that I would say is "safe". Murray gives the Leafs flexibility on defense and it gives them a potential top pairing dman moving forward something 29 other teams are always looking for.
Can't see Burke passing on Murray is he's at #5.. Unfortunately, I don't see Murray lasting till our pick.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan26 View Post
I don't even think Crosby did..
The year Crosby was draftable, was the lockout so Canada could field a good team. All that being said I am not sure what Crosby's playoff status was at the time(Murray's team got eliminated)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote