HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

Old
03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
flames12

vCash: 500
Is the kid NHL ready or does he need another year?

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
Is the kid NHL ready or does he need another year?
He is pretty much NHL ready.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:53 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625180

3. Ryan Murray, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL

2011-12: 46 games, 9 goals, 22 assists, 31 points, 31 penalty minutes

Comparison: Duncan Keith

Best asset: "Skating, passing."

Where do you need improvement: "Skating, shooting, vision and strength."

NHL Central Scouting: "I think Murray is more like a [Scott] Niedermayer; he just does everything under the radar and so smooth you hardly notice it," Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald said. "His skating is probably the best in the [WHL], but you don't really notice that so much because you almost take it for granted he's been there for three years. He never gets out of position and I've never seen him lose a one-on-one battle. He's always, defensively, in the right spots. He just does everything so seamlessly that he reminds me of Niedermayer only because he does everything so well at such a high level and after a while, you don't even notice it."

03-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625180

3. Ryan Murray, D, Everett Silvertips, WHL

2011-12: 46 games, 9 goals, 22 assists, 31 points, 31 penalty minutes

Comparison: Duncan Keith

Best asset: "Skating, passing."

Where do you need improvement: "Skating, shooting, vision and strength."

NHL Central Scouting: "I think Murray is more like a [Scott] Niedermayer; he just does everything under the radar and so smooth you hardly notice it," Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald said. "His skating is probably the best in the [WHL], but you don't really notice that so much because you almost take it for granted he's been there for three years. He never gets out of position and I've never seen him lose a one-on-one battle. He's always, defensively, in the right spots. He just does everything so seamlessly that he reminds me of Niedermayer only because he does everything so well at such a high level and after a while, you don't even notice it."
What? How does he need improvement on his skating if his best asset is arguably his skating? And I don't agree with the vision part as well, he has great vision for a d-man and I think they should add Hockey sense on his best asset list.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:21 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
What? How does he need improvement on his skating if his best asset is arguably his skating? And I don't agree with the vision part as well, he has great vision for a d-man and I think they should add Hockey sense on his best asset list.
BTW, that's Murray's self-assessment.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Ryan Murray = Glen Wesley?

Glen Wesley was a high pick out of the WHL in his draft year. He ended up being a d-man with decent offensive abilities and reliable in his own end. He was by no means a generational defenceman, just a good, reliable one that was quite durable. Is there much similarity between him and Ryan Murray? Both players have similar size as well.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Stephen

Maybe he develops into a post-Boston Glen Wesley, because earlier in Glen Wesley's career, he was a pretty significant offensive talent in junior and had some big seasons in Boston for the Whalers to want to give up 3 first rounders to get him... I'm not that excited about Murray, isn't he supposed to have limited offensive upside? I hope the Leafs don't pick him.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Maybe he develops into a post-Boston Glen Wesley, because earlier in Glen Wesley's career, he was a pretty significant offensive talent in junior and had some big seasons in Boston for the Whalers to want to give up 3 first rounders to get him... I'm not that excited about Murray, isn't he supposed to have limited offensive upside? I hope the Leafs don't pick him.
False. His offensive upside is huge. Great puck mover.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:08 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Limited offensive upside ain't always so bad. Post Boston Glen Wesley is a good example- very little offense, but he was smothering on D. I loved seeing him pair up against Ovechkin. As Ovechkin was tearing the league apart and embarrassing lots of other defenders, Wesley continually frustrated him just by playing smart and picking his spots perfectly. The contrast in the way the two guys played was great, and Wesley usually got the better of the matchup. Not a guy you see on the highlight reels, but one who was incredibly valuable to his team.

A puck moving guy is great, but the guy who's just incredibly effective on defense is very useful.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Ya, I can see it.

Willing to bet theirs a lot of people who will disagree just because they never watched Glen Wesley, have probably never heard his name, and as everyone knows, high draft picks = GODS.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Ya, I can see it.

Willing to bet theirs a lot of people who will disagree just because they never watched Glen Wesley, have probably never heard his name, and as everyone knows, high draft picks = GODS.
Well, I think Glen Wesley is a guy who was very useful to the success of his clubs, but they are ultimately guys who are best when they've matured as veterans with a ton of experience. In general, if you're making a lottery pick, it's probably better to get a young gun who can pull the cart at an earlier age for the organization than someone that needs a lot of maturation to reach that veteran rock status, (though Wesley himself was a real offensive force back in his earlier years).

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Spawn

I've more commonly heard him in reference to Scott Niedermayer. High draft pick out of the WHL, similar size and skating ability.

If the range of player you're getting with that pick is Glen Wesley to Scott Niedermayer though that is an incredible pick if he goes top 5.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I've more commonly heard him in reference to Scott Niedermayer. High draft pick out of the WHL, similar size and skating ability.

If the range of player you're getting with that pick is Glen Wesley to Scott Niedermayer though that is an incredible pick if he goes top 5.
I think that will be the likely case with Murray, somewhere between Glen Wesley to Neidermayer, which would be great news for Murray and the team selecting him. He will never be as good as Neidermayer in terms of offensive output but most of his game will be quite similiar to Neidermayer over his career.

A decent #1 d-man with above average offense and steady rock defense.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
Agreed. Great skater, good offensive instinct, and very calm and poised. He may not reach his full potential, but his upside is definitely huge.

IMO he'll go 2nd overall and will live up to where he was taken.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

If he can play 20+ minutes and play on both special teams, I will be happy to spend a top 5 pick on Murray.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:48 AM
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas

vCash: 69
Quote:

Niedermayer was an offensive force with the Blazers. 82 points in 57 games? Not even close to Murray. Murphy compares there but he isn't even close to a Niedermayer talent in his own zone.

I could see him maybe hitting 40, but it would be a safe bet if you gambled on Murray never leading defensemen in scoring in his career. Glen Wesley is a closer/safer comparison. He'll play a very similar style. I think what Fowler (another guy compared to Nieds) brings is more of Scott Niedermayer's offensive game, this year Murray brings S.N's defensive game. If you had both on the same pairing...well...you'd have Scott Niedermayer if you split him into two players would be nice for us I think...no way he falls to 7 or 8 though.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Niedermayer was an offensive force with the Blazers. 82 points in 57 games? Not even close to Murray. Murphy compares there but he isn't even close to a Niedermayer talent in his own zone.

I could see him maybe hitting 40, but it would be a safe bet if you gambled on Murray never leading defensemen in scoring in his career.
Fair enough with Niedermayer, I've just heard the comparison a number of times. More so than Wesley which I had never heard until tonight. Although checking now, Niedermayer did play on a pretty stacked team it seems like. 4 players with over 100 points that year including 2 d-men ahead of him in scoring (Darryl Sydor being one of them). Meanwhile the highest scorer you've got on Murray's team this year has 56 points in 70 games.

Not saying Murray brings the offensive talent that Niedermayer did, but his offensive potential I feel is slightly under sold because of the team he plays on. I know this argument gets said a lot, but it wouldn't be that hard to picture Murray putting up better offensive numbers on a team that has more fire power.

Last edited by Spawn: 04-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:01 AM
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas

Quote:
Fair enough with Niedermayer, I've just heard the comparison a number of times. More so than Wesley which I had never heard until tonight.
Well...I mean I heard the same thing with Fowler. And it's true that the smooth skating, puck handling, and overall poise with the puck...at times he looks like Scotty wearing a Fowler jersey out there. But he's not as responsible in his own zone (not as over-blown as some would suggest around here, he is OKAY, but that's another story). It's like I said after my edit. Murray will remind many of Scotty with his skating and puck handling, but he doesn't have the offensive chops to be a Scotty clone. What Fowler is missing in d-zone responsibility, Murray possesses, but lacks Fowler's offensive flair.

It's been kind of interesting to watch both prospects and see a kind of yin-yang between the two. If they DO draft Ryan, I think Klefbom-Murray would be a solid pairing. Though it's my preference to have more physical shutdown d-men paired with the OFD's so I'd do Murray-Petry Klefbom-Smid.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
I can't compare Murray to Wesley... just no. Murray is a dynamic defenseman who can play any role, whether it be a shutdown defenseman, a PP quarterback, a rushing defenseman or a puck mover.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Clownpipe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
but lacks Fowler's offensive flair.
Awfully presumptuous of you.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:35 AM
NeilYoung

Ryan Murray is the exact same player as Karl Alzner

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:40 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Seems every year now someone gets compared with Niedermayer....Niedermayer here in Anaheim in his mid 30's was amazing. He turned a joke of a team into a contender because he excelled in every facet of the game, Players like him do not come around often. in 2006-2007 he should have won the Norris trophy as he carried the team while Pronger was injured....point is, I think the comparisons are thrown around way to loosely....

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:05 AM
jmoss45

How about Kris Letang? He has achieved star status through being a world class skater, and also being very good at both ends of the rink.

jmoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
I'm glad someone else sees it to. Truth be told I've seen him in a limited number of games (2 WHL games, U18, WJ), and actually found my interpretation of him is near opposite of the scouting reports. I've found his D suspect, but great O instincts and control, yet the scouting reports I read say great D, limited O.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpipe View Post
Awfully presumptuous of you.
Am I wrong to presume? Compare the junior numbers. Fowler wasn't close to Scotty either but he was closER. Look it's still possible that Murray is a Duck (lol and don't say "he won't fall farther than blah, cause everyone said the same thing about Fowler). I'm taking that into account when I analyze him and I just don't think Murray is as good offensively. that's not to say he's not an OFD everyone would love to have, but really, no prospect has come close to Niedermayer. Maybe Pietrangelo in terms of playing style and two way prowess, but he's still not on the same level.