HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers trade Taffe to Hawks for Reasoner, sign Mark Cullen to 2-way deal

Old
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
If nothing else Reasoner will be a positive influence on young guys like Matthias and whoever makes the club. I don't know anything about Mark Cullen...

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

You guys will love Reasoner. He has an amazing work ethic, above average PKer, and can chip in 25-30 points a year.

Really impressed with the deals Florida has made this off-season. You guys are not far from being in the playoffs year in and year out.

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Pukboy5kroner

According to one Craig MacTavish, Marty Reasoner is Joe Sakic without the foot speed.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:12 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I like it, he's good to have around the young guys and this pretty much ensures that we are going to tank it this season.
Yes, a vet is good to have around the young guys, but is he the right kind of vet? Maybe so, but isn't Stillman a vet who can teach a thing or two? Didn't we have this angle covered?
Why do you say this ensures we will tank? Do you mean it as "if this is the main trade this summer, it's such an insignificant trade, it proves there won't be big trades or big signings"? (How is that different form doing nothing BTW?)

***** (not directed to MR specifically, but I'm too lazy to post twice)

If Reasoner is not in long term plans, I don't get it. I agree that Reasoner > Taffe (that's why I said Taffe 2.0, maybe I should have said 3.0, my bad), I just don't yet see the logic -- unless it's a long term plan. But he's 33 with history of a bad knee injury. Is this just one of those Gary Larson "let it go Louie, let it go" moments? (Long summer driving me nuts tho.)

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:20 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Yes, a vet is good to have around the young guys, but is he the right kind of vet? Maybe so, but isn't Stillman a vet who can teach a thing or two? Didn't we have this angle covered?
Why do you say this ensures we will tank? Do you mean it as "if this is the main trade this summer, it's such an insignificant trade, it proves there won't be big trades or big signings"? (How is that different form doing nothing BTW?)

If Reasoner is not in long term plans, I don't get it. I agree that Reasoner > Taffe (that's why I said Taffe 2.0, maybe I should have said 3.0, my bad), I just don't yet see the logic -- unless it's a long term plan. But he's 33 with history of a bad knee injury. Is this just one of those Gary Larson "let it go Louie, let it go" moments? (Long summer driving me nuts tho.)
It seems like a solid move as he's an upgrade over Taffe.

Also, his contract is up after this season so that's another important benefit for us.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:21 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

Reasoner may also have some deadline value, whereas Taffe has little to no value.

This move completes our centers for this year anyway. We still need to move a winger or two IMO.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Chaos2k7

Wait a minute, I thought we were dumping salary...

Chaos2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
keithLGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2k7 View Post
Wait a minute, I thought we were dumping salary...

In a way it was. They didn't have a vision for Taffe on the NHL roster and didn't want to pay NHL money for a player in the AHL.

Watch for Clay Wilson to be traded next, similar situation, he's on a one way contract.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Nice trade and I'm glad to have Reasoner on our team. At first I thought this sucks for the amerks but Cullen should be able to fill in for the numbers Taffe put up.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:30 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithLGA View Post
In a way it was. They didn't have a vision for Taffe on the NHL roster and didn't want to pay NHL money for a player in the AHL.

Watch for Clay Wilson to be traded next, similar situation, he's on a one way contract.
Great point! I almost forgot about that.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 06:03 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Wow, great trade! Happy to see some change!

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
I don't yet understand why get excited about this trade, other than it breaks the monotony of summer. Ok, so Reasoner is Taffe 2.0 but so what. Is this 33-yo veteran otherwise something to celebrate as he plays a few minutes on our 3rd or 4th line? Will he help keep us from getting the #1 pick with his superb play? Or should it rather be noted that we did yet another Kia Rio trade? Not sure how to read this, and why Tallon bothered. In the end, NBD either way I guess.
reading posts like this convinces me that the only way panthers fans will ever be happy is if we sign kovy for a million a year for the next 10 years. of course there would definitely be someone griping about why couldnt we get him for less than a mil a year, but most of the fans would be happy... for a week. then there would a post with this headline "why havent we signed ovechkin for a mil a year yet?"

seriously we traded one player for another and every one agrees that the guy we got is better. he also will help to improve the character of our team and develop our younger guys. how anyone is upset or bothered with this trade is beyond me.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
reading posts like this convinces me that the only way panthers fans will ever be happy is if we sign kovy for a million a year for the next 10 years. of course there would definitely be someone griping about why couldnt we get him for less than a mil a year, but most of the fans would be happy... for a week. then there would a post with this headline "why havent we signed ovechkin for a mil a year yet?"

seriously we traded one player for another and every one agrees that the guy we got is better. he also will help to improve the character of our team and develop our younger guys. how anyone is upset or bothered with this trade is beyond me.
I was questioning the reason for the trade because it didn't make sense to me, given the way Tallon has been doing things. You're projecting something altogether different on me. I never expected, and I never wanted to see Kovalchuk here. It would make no sense. We need to grow our own stars, which is what Tallon is doing, and which is why this trade left me scratching my head. Signing a 33-yo 3rd or 4th line center going into the twilight of his career just for his locker room presence did not square up with what I thought Tallon was trying to do. It looked like a diversion, but I suspected it wasn't. So I figured the real reasons for the trade hadn't been discussed. Maybe I didn't state that in a clear way.

But I now have the answer, courtesy panthersfan751, keithLGA and RCGP. I didn't know the lengths of the contracts for Reasoner and Taffe, now it makes sense, and fits into what I thought Tallon was doing. Reasoner does have more trade value too, so that's an acceptable secondary reason (although not as strong as contract length).

Old
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Erick

Quote:

Gee, calm down.
Reasoner is on a 1 year contract, just like Taffe. We got a minor upgrade at 4th line center for this year with this trade. There's nothing more to it. Doesn't impact the future of the team, at all.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:34 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Gee, calm down.
Reasoner is on a 1 year contract, just like Taffe. We got a minor upgrade at 4th line center for this year with this trade. There's nothing more to it. Doesn't impact the future of the team, at all.
I'm calm, how about you? Read my posts. Examine content.

Old
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is crazy. Exactly two days ago I was thinking to myself that they'll be signing Cullen at some point, and bam there it is. Of course, this may not have been the Cullen... Nonetheless, will answer questions about the future for $5 (disclaimer: slight variation to predictions should be expected).

handbanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 10:53 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I was pretty happy about this trade when it went down this afternoon. I knew they brought in a respective veteran who could help out our young guys in the locker room for a player in Taffe who was going to just going to be called up when there would be injuries. Now that I'm reading all of these posts by fans of former teams Reasoner was on, this sounds like an absolute great trade

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
jglenn001

Send a message via AIM to jglenn001
Another character guy who can win faceoffs, whats not to like?

jglenn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:56 PM
RainingRats

this should be worth possibly a third round pick at the deadline

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:02 AM
atleternal
Sautee Nacoochee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
this should be worth possibly a third round pick at the deadline
Want to trade Atlanta a 3rd round pick for him? We’ll gladly take him off your hands.

atleternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

The more vets who bring good leadership for young guys the better. I'm thinking it ensures we tank because now we have 3 NHL centers signed to NHL contracts, whereas before Taffe would have just been in the AHL. They will probably leave a spot open for Matthias to try to win in camp, and he'll probably win it. That's a weak center lineup. If Matthias doesn't win a top 9 role in camp they will probably just sign a cheap center for the 4th line, whoever's left at that point. So this ensures that we will not be going after a true proven top 6 center this summer, in all likelihood.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The more vets who bring good leadership for young guys the better. I'm thinking it ensures we tank because now we have 3 NHL centers signed to NHL contracts, whereas before Taffe would have just been in the AHL. They will probably leave a spot open for Matthias to try to win in camp, and he'll probably win it. That's a weak center lineup. If Matthias doesn't win a top 9 role in camp they will probably just sign a cheap center for the 4th line, whoever's left at that point. So this ensures that we will not be going after a true proven top 6 center this summer, in all likelihood.
...unless tallon pulls off a trade..

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:05 AM
JPG

normaly i'm beyond gloomy about anything the panthers do, but honestly this is a nice move. if they are bringing in all these kids to be the future of the franchise then i really don't see anything bad about bringing in seasoned hardworking veterans to help foster a hard working environment and a good locker room attitude. i think this trade won't produce much if at all in the win/loss column and in our goals, but the value will be felt more in the locker room. and god knows we need help in changing the culture of the franchise. i think it is a good move.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:44 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
I was questioning the reason for the trade because it didn't make sense to me, given the way Tallon has been doing things. You're projecting something altogether different on me. I never expected, and I never wanted to see Kovalchuk here. It would make no sense. We need to grow our own stars, which is what Tallon is doing, and which is why this trade left me scratching my head. Signing a 33-yo 3rd or 4th line center going into the twilight of his career just for his locker room presence did not square up with what I thought Tallon was trying to do. It looked like a diversion, but I suspected it wasn't. So I figured the real reasons for the trade hadn't been discussed. Maybe I didn't state that in a clear way.

But I now have the answer, courtesy panthersfan751, keithLGA and RCGP. I didn't know the lengths of the contracts for Reasoner and Taffe, now it makes sense, and fits into what I thought Tallon was doing. Reasoner does have more trade value too, so that's an acceptable secondary reason (although not as strong as contract length).
i wasnt projecting anything on anyone, merely making a point that panthers fans are never satisfied even when things are going well. so far i havent seen a single trade or draft pick from tallon that was bad. in my three years as a panthers fan this is the best things have been, yet panthers fans cant be even a little happy. i know i know here comes the obligatory ten years out of the playoffs gripes and who the hell am i having only been a fan for 3 years, but the truth is that you choose to be happy or not. and as a vikings fan i know what it is to suffer through long years of suckitude.

this was a good trade. be happy. championships are made up of many many insignificant moves like this that all add up over time. there is no grand slam that is going to happen this offseason. this is build a foundation year, not cherry on top year. the draft helped us build a foundation. the few free agency moves we have made have helped us build a foundation without sacrificing our future on overpriced long term contracts. this move helps us build a foundation.

once again not aimed at you specifically

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:45 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i wasnt projecting anything on anyone, merely making a point that panthers fans are never satisfied even when things are going well. so far i havent seen a single trade or draft pick from tallon that was bad. in my three years as a panthers fan this is the best things have been, yet panthers fans cant be even a little happy. i know i know here comes the obligatory ten years out of the playoffs gripes and who the hell am i having only been a fan for 3 years, but the truth is that you choose to be happy or not. and as a vikings fan i know what it is to suffer through long years of suckitude.

this was a good trade. be happy. championships are made up of many many insignificant moves like this that all add up over time. there is no grand slam that is going to happen this offseason. this is build a foundation year, not cherry on top year. the draft helped us build a foundation. the few free agency moves we have made have helped us build a foundation without sacrificing our future on overpriced long term contracts. this move helps us build a foundation.

once again not aimed at you specifically
Okay, but of all posts you chose mine to respond to, so I thought it was meant to me specifically. No big deal.

I would argue though (and this was the initial reason why I posted anything) that Reasoner wasn't obtained to be a foundation piece of a possible deep playoff run 3 years from now. He's too old and won't get the minutes. His type of guy is needed but he won't make that much of a difference. No way. Instead, it was a good trade because Reasoner's main upsides are, in order: a) short contract, b) locker room leadership, c) good play and some trade value.

Also again, my comments were not in any way intended to gripe about Tallon or the Panthers. I'm rather pleased with the way the team is being managed. In fact, never before have I eagerly looked forward to what will most likely be a (badly) losing season, setting a playoff drought record.