HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will score the most goals besides Staal?

Old
07-23-2010, 06:53 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
I think anyone expecting another 15+ goal season from Babchuk is going to be disappointed. Does he have a chance to do it? Yes but it's going to take some luck (such as another season of an unusually high shooting % from a d-man) for him to do it again.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
I think anyone expecting another 15+ goal season from Babchuk is going to be disappointed. Does he have a chance to do it? Yes but it's going to take some luck (such as another season of an unusually high shooting % from a d-man) for him to do it again.
All depends on how they use him. It wasn't until the back half of 08-09 that he really started to get PT on the PP. If coaching has any kind of sense they'll put him there from day one since he's a relatively known quantity now. Even if his shooting percentage is halved I'd guess that we'll end up with at least ten or so goals from him this season. The biggest thing that may drag his totals down are that there are now 3 trigger men on the powerplay with him, Corvo and McBain, although I see it likely that McBain will be the setup man just as much as he's the trigger man much like Streit was in Montreal.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Joe McGrath

Bowman or Boychuk just to spice things up a bit. I have a feeling Boychuk is going to see a significant amount of time on line 1 and the PP if Ruutu's health is obviously an issue.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
geehaad

Lots of things to comment, so I won't worry about quoting for reference...

1) Sutter will be the starting #2 center this year, which he wasn't until after the trade deadline last year. Better linemates, more TOI, and more PP time should have a positive effect on his numbers...but it may not. Expecting him to maintain about 20 goals this year is fair, and anything beyond that is gravy. Yes, he could experience a sophomore slump kind of season, but there's no reason to *expect* that.

2) If the history of other players is the best indication, then we should expect to see a drop-off in Ruutu's numbers this year. He's had major shoulder surgery, and not once have we seen a player equal their previous year's performance afterward.

3) Any number that you put on Cole *must* be tempered with an assumption that he will miss a stretch of games. How many...10, 20, more?...who knows, but to forecast his numbers based on upwards of 80 games played is just plain old ignoring the history that's in plain view.

4) My knee-jerk thought on Babchuk equaling his output from the 08-09 season is to view it pessimistically. However, the fact remains that those numbers were essentially gained in a partial season due to the fact that the first half of the season was gone before he and the coaching staff found him a place where he could thrive. Does that place still exist, given the emergence of McBain? Maybe. I'm setting my expectations in the 10-goal area, assuming that he won't get quite the primary role he was given when he was racking up the bulk of his goals, but still finding plenty of opportunity to still be considered an offensive weapon.

5) How many PP goals did Jokinen score on that nifty little play from Pitkanen where he and another forward flooded the left wing and split the right defenseman, usually giving him a clear lane to the net with the puck on this stick? At the very end of the year, PKs starting shutting that down, so it will be interesting to see how the Hurricanes will adjust and what that means to Jokinen's numbers.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Want to see Boychuk on Staal line.

Anyone for Boychuk- Staal- Jokinen?

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
caniac247

Pick: Jokinen

Darkhorse: Larose

Backend: Corvo with Pitkanen leading team in assits

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
- I'll go with Jokinen leading the way after Staal.

- Darkhorse pick: Jiri Tlusty

- Leading the defence: Joe Corvo.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
All depends on how they use him. It wasn't until the back half of 08-09 that he really started to get PT on the PP. If coaching has any kind of sense they'll put him there from day one since he's a relatively known quantity now. Even if his shooting percentage is halved I'd guess that we'll end up with at least ten or so goals from him this season. The biggest thing that may drag his totals down are that there are now 3 trigger men on the powerplay with him, Corvo and McBain, although I see it likely that McBain will be the setup man just as much as he's the trigger man much like Streit was in Montreal.
I think another thing that'll hurt us is the predictability of our PP. Any opposing coach worth a damn is going to look at our roster and tell his PK unit "They're going to be blasting from the point".

And if all we do is spend the 2 minutes trying to set up the point men when they're obviously covered, the goal totals from defensemen could be surprisingly low.

Now, the team's gotten better at creating the space for the point men to shoot, but typically it happens in stretches. One game they'll pass the puck so well, the opposing PK just completely forgets we've got Corvo/Babs/McBain back there. The next game, it's 2 minutes of Staal's wraparound because we're not passing the puck.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I think another thing that'll hurt us is the predictability of our PP. Any opposing coach worth a damn is going to look at our roster and tell his PK unit "They're going to be blasting from the point".

And if all we do is spend the 2 minutes trying to set up the point men when they're obviously covered, the goal totals from defensemen could be surprisingly low.

Now, the team's gotten better at creating the space for the point men to shoot, but typically it happens in stretches. One game they'll pass the puck so well, the opposing PK just completely forgets we've got Corvo/Babs/McBain back there. The next game, it's 2 minutes of Staal's wraparound because we're not passing the puck.
Not sure I agree with this totally. Pitkanen is pass first on the point, while the other 3 likely candidates are going to be "bombs away". Pits is always looking to make a cross ice pass to Jokinen or something else creative. When/if Babs, Corvo, or McBain are on the ice together on the PP then its an issue.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
geehaad

I think McBain will serve in Pitkanen's role on the second unit.

Old
07-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I think McBain will serve in Pitkanen's role on the second unit.
True. I think the rotation is going to be very heavy between the first and second unit. Actually, I think the defense will be somewhat fluid between units depending on who is playing well at the time. For example, if the first unit is Pitkanen - Babchuk and the second unit is McBain - Corvo, they'll both play with Staal and company.

That is actually how I see it breaking down between the pairings. Pitkanen and Corvo don't have the best chemistry obviously. Babchuk played well with Pitkanen while he was here.

Corvo will benefit from not being the only shooter on his pairing while Babchuk thrived in that role. McBain has a shot that shouldn't be discounted in this discussion either. Pitkanen's shot is virtually non existent.

Ruutu and Cole will probably alternate between being the guys that set up out front and screen the goaltenders. I think that's how our powerplay will be orchestrated. Working the puck quickly around the umbrella until the man in the center lane finds enough room to get one through.

I think the New Jersey series was an anomaly. I don't really think it can be a viable defense to our shooters.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
True. I think the rotation is going to be very heavy between the first and second unit. Actually, I think the defense will be somewhat fluid between units depending on who is playing well at the time. For example, if the first unit is Pitkanen - Babchuk and the second unit is McBain - Corvo, they'll both play with Staal and company.

That is actually how I see it breaking down between the pairings. Pitkanen and Corvo don't have the best chemistry obviously. Babchuk played well with Pitkanen while he was here.

Corvo will benefit from not being the only shooter on his pairing while Babchuk thrived in that role. McBain has a shot that shouldn't be discounted in this discussion either. Pitkanen's shot is virtually non existent.

Ruutu and Cole will probably alternate between being the guys that set up out front and screen the goaltenders. I think that's how our powerplay will be orchestrated. Working the puck quickly around the umbrella until the man in the center lane finds enough room to get one through.

I think the New Jersey series was an anomaly. I don't really think it can be a viable defense to our shooters.
It can be when you know who the trigger men are. In the case of the early parts of that series you knew that Corvo and Babchuk were the two to key on when we were on the powerplay since Cullen had since lost a good bit of his effectiveness in that role. Now with McBain, Corvo and Babchuk back there and the Pitkanen to Jokinen Hail Mary working at a high rate there is no one individual thing to key on in regards to our powerplay. I honestly think our special teams will be greatly improved this coming season for that very reason.

Old
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
geehaad

Yeah, I definitely think Babchuk will commit to his shot more than Corvo. Having McBain with Corvo, defenses won't be able to key so much on a single shooter, and they'll have to be even more on their toes because they are both just as likely to move with the puck.

Old
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Lots of things to comment, so I won't worry about quoting for reference...

1) Sutter will be the starting #2 center this year, which he wasn't until after the trade deadline last year. Better linemates, more TOI, and more PP time should have a positive effect on his numbers...but it may not. Expecting him to maintain about 20 goals this year is fair, and anything beyond that is gravy. Yes, he could experience a sophomore slump kind of season, but there's no reason to *expect* that.
That'd be weird for Sutter to have a sophomore slump, considering next year will be his third year

Pick: Ruutu

Darkhorse: Cam Ward (It's very possible not a single player besides Staal scores next year )

Real Darkhorse: Larose

Defense: Babs

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgusta21 View Post
Darkhorse: Cam Ward (It's very possible not a single player besides Staal scores next year )
I'll be willing to give you this: if Ward scores even a single goal next year, you win...hands down.

Old
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
WWAD

Staal - 30
Jussi - 25
Sutter - 25
Ruutu - 20
Cole - 20
Larose - 15
McBain - 15
Samsanov - 15
Boychuk - 10
Babchuk - 10
Corvo - 10
Pitkanen - 10
Tlusty - 10
Combined random call-ups - 10
Carson - 5
Gleason - 5
K-Stop - 5
Dwyer - 5
Nash - 5
Harrison - 0

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
geehaad

Hmm...that's 240 goals, which is 14 more than they scored last year when they were #13 in the league. Not sure they're likely to improve on that with this year's squad.

Staal - 30
Jussi - 20
Sutter - 20
Ruutu - 13
Cole - 12
Larose - 14
McBain - 9
Samsonov - 18
Boychuk - 14
Babchuk - 11
Corvo - 11
Pitkanen - 8
Tlusty - 10
Combined random call-ups - 7
Carson - 2
Gleason - 4
K-Stop - 8
Dwyer - 9
Nash - 12 (or whoever centers the third line)
Harrison - 2

Old
07-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Staal - 30
Jussi - 25
Sutter - 25
Ruutu - 20
Cole - 20
Larose - 15
McBain - 15
Samsanov - 15
Boychuk - 10
Babchuk - 10
Corvo - 10
Pitkanen - 10
Tlusty - 10
Combined random call-ups - 10
Carson - 5
Gleason - 5
K-Stop - 5
Dwyer - 5
Nash - 5
Harrison - 0
LOL NOOOO!!!! This is better...

Staal - 35
Sutter - 25
Ruutu - 20
Jussi - 20
Larose - 20
Cole - 15
Tlusty - 15
Boychuk - 15
Nash - 10
Corvo - 10
Babchuk - 10
Samsonov - 10
Kostopoulis - 10
McBain - 8
Dwyer - 5
Gleason - 3
Carson - 1
Harrison - 1

I think it's more realistic. Especially with Carson, he's not gonna put the puck in the net 5 times this year, it's ridiculous to think he would.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
thrillhous

How about some really early point predictions?

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Staal - 40
Sutter - 25
Ruutu - 25
Jussi - 25
Larose - 12
Cole - 14
Tlusty - 15
Boychuk - 12
Nash - 10
Corvo - 8
Babchuk - 13
Samsonov - 15
Kostopoulis - 9
McBain - 8
Dwyer - 4
Gleason - 3
Carson - 4
Harrison - 1

I say we score a lot but defense endsup being our downfall. Our powerplay has no excuse to be bad with the likes of Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo, AND Babchuk. We have never had that much firepower from the back end

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:01 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave View Post
Staal - 40
Sutter - 25
Ruutu - 25
Jussi - 25
Larose - 12
Cole - 14
Tlusty - 15
Boychuk - 12
Nash - 10
Corvo - 8
Babchuk - 13
Samsonov - 15
Kostopoulis - 9
McBain - 8
Dwyer - 4
Gleason - 3
Carson - 4
Harrison - 1

I say we score a lot but defense endsup being our downfall. Our powerplay has no excuse to be bad with the likes of Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo, AND Babchuk. We have never had that much firepower from the back end
So Harrison gets more goals than Pitkanen

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
semin4captain

Staal - 36g-42a-78pts
Jokinen - 24g-33a-57pts
Sutter - 21g-24a-45pts
Pitkanen - 6g-38a-44pts
Ruutu - 21g-20a-41pts
Samsonov - 15g-21a-36pts
Corvo - 13g-23a-36pts
Boychuk - 14g-21a-35pts
Babchuk - 9g-23a-32pts
McBain - 5g-25a-30pts
LaRose - 11g-18a-29pts
Cole - 13g-15a-28pts
Tlusty - 12g-16a-28pts
Nash - 9g-16a-25pts
Kostopoulos - 7g-9a-16pts
Dwyer - 5g-8a-13pts
Gleason - 2g-12a-14pts
Carson - 2g-11a-13pts
Harrison - 1g-6a-7pts

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Good day gentlemen, can thou possibly conceive of an open roster spot for me this season?

Old
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
So Harrison gets more goals than Pitkanen
Harrison gets more goals then everyone because for every goal he scores another year gets added to his contract. When he hits 3, a NTC is added. 5 and a NMC

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think Cole will be outscored by

Staal
Jussi
Sutter
Ruutu
Tlusty