HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Souray

Old
07-23-2010, 02:53 PM
alx83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Honestly if there's no decent deal to be had, I would just keep Souray. Within 20-30 games, there's a good chance he'd be able to boost his trade value next season, and he's already said he'd be open to coming back.

So really IMO it's more of management holding a grudge here, both sides should just sit down and bury the hatchet.
Is Edmonton allowed to bring him back up before the start of the season? Now that I'm thinking about it I think you can move players on one-way contracts without it counting until the beginning of the season.

If not, someone is going to snag him up off re-entry waivers.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
I honestly don't see anything on the Ducks coming back that makes it work for us. We don't need Blake.

There's a few options the Sharks that could present, but the proposals featuring Smid going as well are unlikely. Smid's big for our future and looking at our D right now, he's something we can't give up. If we could base a deal around Murray that would be awesome.

If the Capitals are in the running, I look mostly at Alzner+Salary Dump. I would have no problem having to add some picks/prospects to balance the deal.

Ideally for Souray we would want a serviceable Top-4 defenseman in return. Or a prospect with top 4 potential and a salary dump.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx83 View Post
Is Edmonton allowed to bring him back up before the start of the season? Now that I'm thinking about it I think you can move players on one-way contracts without it counting until the beginning of the season.

If not, someone is going to snag him up off re-entry waivers.
He wasn't sent to the minors. He cleared waivers, but is still on the Oilers main roster and will not need to "clear waivers". He was put on waivers to see if anyone would take him, rather than taking a contract back with it, as Tambellini had already traded for Vandermeer to replace his toughness and signed Foster to replace his pp shot. Obviously, he did clear, because nobody could (or would) take the salary on without sending back something. But to answer your question, no, he won't go through re-entry waivers, as he was never sent down.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Why give up a second round pick? Good chance that pick is in the 30-38 range. Depending on how things go there might be a player ranked as high as 15th on Edmonton's list when the second round rolls around.

Edmonton would be wiser to go after Andy Sutton if they need a defensive D. Give him 3.5 million dollars on a 1 year deal and then deal him at the deadline for a 2nd round pick when Edmonton is out of the playoffs. Keep in mind that Murray is already 30 and by the time Edmonton is pushing for the playoffs he will be a UFA and 33 years old with his best years behind him.
Because second round picks are still gambles, and Clowe and Murray are both young enough that they could be Oilers for a while. Murray I like better than Sutton. Clowe would give us another large body at forward, and one who can score too. Both of these guys would help now, and in the future. A second round pick is highly overrated here, and I think that it is enough to make up the value differences because Murray > Souray, and Clowe > Cogliano (right now, value wise).

Old
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Soundwave

The Oilers don't have to have Murray back for Souray, in fact that's probably crazy to expect.

Clowe fits a lot of needs for the Oilers up front, and Huskins is a perfectly servicable veteran d-man. It's not like Edmonton is gunning for the Cup next year.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
He wasn't sent to the minors. He cleared waivers, but is still on the Oilers main roster and will not need to "clear waivers". He was put on waivers to see if anyone would take him, rather than taking a contract back with it, as Tambellini had already traded for Vandermeer to replace his toughness and signed Foster to replace his pp shot. Obviously, he did clear, because nobody could (or would) take the salary on without sending back something. But to answer your question, no, he won't go through re-entry waivers, as he was never sent down.
Thanks for clearing that up.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.
No problem.

Old
07-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
How does **** like this happen?

Anyway, Blake for Souray seems alright to me. I've seen some Oilers fans say they're content with their top six, but Blake would be a good addition. Easily still capable of 60 points, always hustling, great at crashing the net. And he's only getting paid three million while his cap hit is four.
Lived in Chicago for a year before I moved to OC for a year.

Demon,
we are good. Colts are my 2nd favorite team even though losing the superbowl was sickening. Peyton manning is my favorite player in the league though.

I really think Souray will end up in SJ when everything is said and done. I just don't think Murray wants to take that contract for someone who is injured as often as Souray is. Plus, he seems pretty confident that some of our prospects will make up most of our top 4 next year. That's why I see him trying to add a 1 year patch player like Bieksa or Kaberle. I'd love a Souray for Blake+ deal, but I just don't think Murray would.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
2fast4u2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I can see the ducks being interested if Edmonton took Blake in return. Otherwise I doubt it.
You must not be up with the times.......Blake retired already......and with Souray....who would want him?he is injury prone.....over rated.....and no where even close to worth the money he wants or THINKS he can get.....i dont understand WHY all these Oilers fans think they can get the world for this guy...LMFAO.....i am a Flyers fan and i wouldnt give a bag of pucks for this guy........give up on the Souray trades or proposals guys......he isnt worth the talk about it all......

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Alice in Chains*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u2 View Post
You must not be up with the times.......Blake retired already......and with Souray....who would want him?he is injury prone.....over rated.....and no where even close to worth the money he wants or THINKS he can get.....i dont understand WHY all these Oilers fans think they can get the world for this guy...LMFAO.....i am a Flyers fan and i wouldnt give a bag of pucks for this guy........give up on the Souray trades or proposals guys......he isnt worth the talk about it all......
Jason Blake?

Alice in Chains* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Hemsky4PM

Reasonable options:

Ducks: Jason Blake, 4M cap hit, 3M salary for 2 more years

Caps: Jason Chimera, 1.875M (Caps aren't nearly as desperate to shed salary)

Sharks: Douglas Murray 2.5M, Ryan Clowe 3.5M

Of all these options, I'd take Chimera or Douglas Murray. Murray with a slight edge.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
2fast4u2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice in Chains View Post
Jason Blake?
sorry i thought he was talkin Rob Blake......but still.......who wants Souray???? LMFAO

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I can see the ducks being interested if Edmonton took Blake in return. Otherwise I doubt it.
other ducks fans dont want him at all. i would like to have him if we could not get anyone else.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Basically ek is repeating every team that has been mentioned previously interested in Souray--accept NYR
Well, he didn't repeat any of his past fabrications linking Souray to Buffalo - thankfully so......

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Pepper

Is it true that Eklund is going to be featured on Penn & Teller?

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Nah, if the Sharks are trading for Souray and the Oilers won't include Smid, then something like (Huskins or Murray) + Mitchell for Souray would be the deal. If Murray, then the Oilers add a 3rd.
No Smid, but souray for Murray, Mitchell & 3rd (or mid-level prospect who's NHL ready like Peckham, Chorney, Reddox, etc) and you have a deal.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Alice in Chains*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
No Smid, but souray for Murray, Mitchell & 3rd (or mid-level prospect who's NHL ready like Peckham, Chorney, Reddox, etc) and you have a deal.
but souray has no value by himself?

Alice in Chains* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Not interested.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
none, or negative.

Old
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Bad deal for Edmonton.

Cogliano, Omark, two draft picks for a couple players that would be better off on a club looking to win now.

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Hall - Gagner - Eberle
MPS - Brule - Cogliano
Jones - Fraser - Stortini
Omark, Smack

Where does Fleischmann and Clowe fit into the lineup?

Might make sense for a year but realistically you're giving up two young players and two picks for a couple players that will bring you from 30th to 25th.

Edmonton would be wise to sit tight and wait for bargains instead of win-now moves when the club is in rebuilding mode.
Wait, you're arguing that it's a bad deal cuz we get Fleischmann and Clowe?!?

I'm concerned that we'd be giving up 3 top-90 draft picks + a wildcard in Omark...but it's a small concern.

If the Oilers got Fleischmann and Clowe, I'm pretty sure we could make some bloody room for them. Neither Eberle nor MPS MUST play on the team this year. In fact, it probably makes more sense that at least one of them doesn't.

Giving up 1 roster player for Fleischmann and Clowe would be a freaking coup!

Old
07-23-2010, 06:43 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
If a team is interested in attaining his (Souray's) services, that implies atleast some inherent value, does it not? If SJ (for example) wants to work out a trade for him, then he abslolutely has some value--to them. Simple logic, really.

Oh, for those who can't get it, Smid is going absolutely nowhere. He's exactly what a rebuilding club like the Oilers need, and his value to his club is immense.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Reasonable options:

Ducks: Jason Blake, 4M cap hit, 3M salary for 2 more years

Caps: Jason Chimera, 1.875M (Caps aren't nearly as desperate to shed salary)

Sharks: Douglas Murray 2.5M, Ryan Clowe 3.5M

Of all these options, I'd take Chimera or Douglas Murray. Murray with a slight edge.
I'd do backflips if we could get Chimera or Murray for Souray.

Chimera immediately fills a PK/3rd line C role we so desperately need to fill.

Murray rounds out a top-4 d corps very nicely:

Whitney Gilbert
Smid Murray

That's actually pretty solid. Not deep-playoff-run solid, but contend-for-playoffs-if-all-goes-okay solid (and our forwards overachieve).

Old
07-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Cawz

Whatever happened to the Souray - Brewer deal? Sportsnet said that the Oilers kyboshed it becasue they didnt want to take that salary back. This was before Souray was waived though, so they were probably hoping he would be off the books without anything coming back.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:35 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Whatever happened to the Souray - Brewer deal? Sportsnet said that the Oilers kyboshed it becasue they didnt want to take that salary back. This was before Souray was waived though, so they were probably hoping he would be off the books without anything coming back.
Hopefully they understand that taking back salary is going to be necessary to get anything done. The Brewer deal, as I understood it, was fine and they should've taken it. Can only hope the waiver thing and the Gagne deal has woken them up big time.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
If a team is interested in attaining his (Souray's) services, that implies atleast some inherent value, does it not? If SJ (for example) wants to work out a trade for him, then he abslolutely has some value--to them. Simple logic, really.

Oh, for those who can't get it, Smid is going absolutely nowhere. He's exactly what a rebuilding club like the Oilers need, and his value to his club is immense.
You waived him, no one took him, he has no value. A team is only going to be willing to take him in exchange as part of some other deal, or in exchange for bad salary in return. Look at Heatley for gods sake, the guy was still performing at a high level and returned a salary dump and a 2nd liner. Souray has been declining, has injury issues, and has publicly stated he wants out (and the oil have made it pretty clear they don't want him). The very best you can hope for is getting rid of Souray without costing the Oil anything else.

You want Murray, you better returning something of actual value for him. Clowe, something of considerable value. Your talking about a top 6 forward and top 4 defensemen from one of the best teams in hockey. These guys are not chumps or salary dumps.

And if Smid is so untouchable, why was he offered as part of the Heatley deal? Obviously he's not untouchable.